Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapoport: Colts and Eagles making strong push for Alshon Jeffery (Merged)

7 minutes ago, Rick_Grimes said:

I don't care what anyone says..

If you're a Colts fan and end up getting upset if the Colts land one of the best WR's in football.

You're insane. And a liar.

Well, that would mean the colts are sold on Moncrief as a top number 2 receiver and he is probably a tier below Hilton. Hilton is maybe 6th or 7th best in the league. Jeffery is around 12th to 15th but has huge potential IF he stays healthy. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah one thing about Allen is that he was a good redzone target, him, Doyle and Moncrief.  Snagging Alshon if possible would be great.  

Maybe also try try to make a play on Poe and Sheard and that would be some solid acquisitions.  

Should be fun.

10 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

That is really not how the NFL contracts work typically.  Pay attention to the guaranteed amount not the term.  NFL contracts are usually written for the players to be able to be cut after year 3 at the latest.

Yeah, I know how contracts work and you have a point.

I just think it's a shame that we apparently won't pay for guys like Zeitler or Bouye, but will for an oft injured guy like Alshon at a position we aren't exactly hurting at.

The biggest concern I would have with Jeffery is his injury history. He has missed 11-12 games over the last two years. I don't know what his injury/injuries have been but that is the first thing that came to mind when I read this.

I don't think that signing a highly paid WR is ideal. I think the Colts have enough there right now. Jeffery would certainly be an upgrade but I would prefer the Colts not to tie up so much cap space in a receiver at this point. I suspect we would end up repeating history in attempting to have really good skill position players while sacrificing the defense. 

However, Jeffery wouldn't likely to turn into a bust signing, assuming he stays healthy, like some of the other free agents the Colts have signed over the last few years.

Also, some of the top players are agreeing to deals elsewhere. Jeffery might be the best option for the Colts in terms of landing a top talent. Above all else the Colts need good players no matter what position they play.

I think the Eagles just gave Torrey Smith 3 years $15 million. It wouldn't be uncommon for them to still pursue Jeffery but maybe they'll back off now that they signed a veteran wide out.  I like Alshons size, but not sold on him as a team player.  I live in Illinois and the Bears fans have told me they wouldn't be upset if he left. 

7 minutes ago, ar7 said:

The biggest concern I would have with Jeffery is his injury history. He has missed 11-12 games over the last two years. I don't know what his injury/injuries have been but that is the first thing that came to mind when I read this.

I don't think that signing a highly paid WR is ideal. I think the Colts have enough there right now. Jeffery would certainly be an upgrade but I would prefer the Colts not to tie up so much cap space in a receiver at this point. I suspect we would end up repeating history in attempting to have really good skill position players while sacrificing the defense. 

However, Jeffery wouldn't likely to turn into a bust signing, assuming he stays healthy, like some of the other free agents the Colts have signed over the last few years.

Also, some of the top players are agreeing to deals elsewhere. Jeffery might be the best option for the Colts in terms of landing a top talent. Above all else the Colts need good players no matter what position they play.

Yes. While reading this I kind of maybe see Ballard's approach. Our defense will improve every year under him I believe. But maybe he wants to go to the draft for defense other than a few big signings, and make our offense great to give our D time to gel the next two years. We only have to have a top half of the league  defense and a top offense with Luck to compete for a SB IMO. If we sign Jeffery to a 3 year deal. This year's players of the draft would all be on rookie contracts when his contract is up. Then Jeffery's big money will be off of our books. 

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The problem I would have with this move isn't that he's a wide receiver.  The problem is that he's missed a lot of football the past 2 years.

Yup. I like him as a player, he's fun to watch, but his lower body has taken a ridiculous amount of damage so far in his career. That's always something to be wary of especially with WR's and DB's.

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yup. I like him as a player, he's fun to watch, but his lower body has taken a ridiculous amount of damage so far in his career. That's always something to be wary of especially with WR's and DB's.

That's especially true when its a hamstring issue.  Those things seem to be chronic.

12 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

The report says Colts and Eagles making strong push for Jeffery...

I wonder if this report came befor the Eagles signed Torrey Smith?

Torrey Smith to Eagles on three-year deal

Perhaps Philadelphia is now out of the running?

That's exactly what I said.  Not uncommon to pursue another WR but would be kind of crazy to sign 2 unless they have a lot of cap space. 

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If Holder is right on the price I say we pass

That's the asking price, but a few days sitting on the market could seriously lower that. At that price, I don't see us signing him. That would mean he'd be getting paid more than TY, when he hasn't been as good as TY. That goes directly against what Ballard preached about locker room fit.

3 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

To be fair, I wouldn't call Moncrief a beast either.  He's a good football player and red zone target, but he's never topped 750 yards.  

His rookie year he was over shadowed by nicks, 2015 he had a variety of QB's throwing too him and last season he was injured a couple games but tied/broke the Colts record for tds in consecutive games

Just now, Shive said:

That's the asking price, but a few days sitting on the market could seriously lower that. At that price, I don't see us signing him. That would mean he'd be getting paid more than TY, when he hasn't been as good as TY. That goes directly against what Ballard preached about locker room fit.

Agreed

3 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

That's exactly what I said.  Not uncommon to pursue another WR but would be kind of crazy to sign 2 unless they have a lot of cap space. 

They have multiple needs but yeah the do have Matthews so I would think its between us and Bears. I'm not sure I'm in big favor of this signing...but I promised myself I would give Ballard a couple years before I start question his moves.

Just now, dgambill said:

They have multiple needs but yeah the do have Matthews so I would think its between us and Bears. I'm not sure I'm in big favor of this signing...but I promised myself I would give Ballard a couple years before I start question his moves.

Yea they have Nelson Agholor too.  I am with you, I like his size but not sure about his injury past among other things.

6 minutes ago, twfish said:

His rookie year he was over shadowed by nicks, 2015 he had a variety of QB's throwing too him and last season he was injured a couple games but tied/broke the Colts record for tds in consecutive games

Yeah, but that still doesn't make him a beast.  Unfortunate circumstances?  Sure.  But excuses, even legitimate ones, don't justify calling him something he hasn't otherwised proved to be.  Could he?  Yeah, I think eh could.  But he needs to earn it.

25 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, I know how contracts work and you have a point.

I just think it's a shame that we apparently won't pay for guys like Zeitler or Bouye, but will for an oft injured guy like Alshon at a position we aren't exactly hurting at.

To be fair though, it takes two to complete a deal.  What if those guys you mention just don't want to be Colts or like other situations better?  You can't force free agents to sign with you.  I look at the Colts interest in him as the draft is deep in defense specifically edges and defensive backs.  The draft does not have a lot of WR talent so if they are wanting to improve the WR unit then FA might be the best bet.

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

so hes a red zone target

we need someone besides ty to gain some yardage

i would definitely not call DM a beast, hes a role player

6'2 220 pounds and runs a 4.40 40 yard dash. He's much more than just a role player but he has the same thing happening to him that Dorsett and that's poor play calling and not utilizing the WR to there max. Most of the time the 2 are used to pull double coverage off of T.Y.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, but that still doesn't make him a beast.  Unfortunate circumstances?  Sure.  But excuses, even legitimate ones, don't justify calling him something he hasn't otherwised proved to be.  Could he?  Yeah, I think eh could.  But he needs to earn it.

I'm not arguing calling him a "beast" I'm arguing to what was said about him not showing much.