Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree to terms with TE Jack Doyle on 3-year deal

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Maybe now we include Dwayne Allen in that package deal to move up to the bengals pick in the first?

Would be nice if we could package Allen in a trade but I wonder how much value he has. He is still young, just needs to stay healthy and quit with the dropsies.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Would be nice if we could package Allen in a trade but I wonder how much value he has. He is still young, just needs to stay healthy and quit with the dropsies.

Probably not a lot of value but he could be included in a package. I think a team would rather have a solid player like Allen over say next year's 4th or this year's 5th or something like that. Especially a team like the Bengals who want to get back on track immediately and are trying to win now. I'm just wishing and praying. Lol. 

49 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Yes.  I had a fanboy moment this year when Doyle came into my store after practice, and I was like "You're on my fantasy team", and he was like "Cool, how much do I owe you?", and I was like "$19.25, you're the tenth-ranked TE in fantasy right now, and you're a local guy, this is awesome.  Luck is my QB, and every time he throws to you, I get double points.  Because I have you on my fantasy team.  Your change is 75 cents."

And he was like "Thanks" and then he left.

I proceeded to tell everyone in my vicinity that Colts TE Jack Doyle, local guy, my guy, my fantasy TE, was also my customer now.

He hasn't been back since... probably cuz of me...

Maybe if he comes in again, with his new contract he can afford to be a better tipper......:hide:

Just now, Smoke317 said:

Probably not a lot of value but he could be included in a package. I think a team would rather have a solid player like Allen over say next year's 4th or this year's 5th or something like that. Especially a team like the Bengals who want to get back on track immediately and are trying to win now. I'm just wishing and praying. Lol. 

Allen has very little trade value this year.     A great year for tight ends,  he's coming off a disappointing season and he's got a contract worth roughly 7.3 million per....

If we traded him we'd be lucky to get a 6 and more likely a 7.      Very little value....

Just now, bananabucket said:

I think people are acting more excited than they actually are.

We have a ton of money tied up in a very lackluster position

Lackluster to you.      It's not lackluster to Chudzinkski or other people in the NFL.

And this is not a ton of money.

It's a good chunk of change,  but we have room, and if need be,  Allen could be cut next year if he disappoints with less of a hit to the team.

This is a good signing....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Allen has very little trade value this year.     A great year for tight ends,  he's coming off a disappointing season and he's got a contract worth roughly 7.3 million per....

If we traded him we'd be lucky to get a 6 and more likely a 7.      Very little value....

Yeah we're probably stuck with him. Like I said earlier, I don't hate the guy. In fact, he's easily our best blocking tight end.  So I don't mind him staying, but he should never be in on 3rd down over Doyle. Maybe not even Swoope if he continues to improve. Strictly early down usage. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Lackluster to you.      It's not lackluster to Chudzinkski or other people in the NFL.

It's a good chunk of change,  but we have room, and if need be,  Allen could be cut next year if he disappoints with less of a hit to the team.

If two average players + a project don't mean lackluster, then I dont know what does.

13 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Not really cause at least Doyle can catch Allen drops more passes than he catches.

He dropped more than 35 passes?? He actually caught 6 TD passes. He hasn't been awful just inconsistent in big situations...and injury issues...just to up and down for his pay grade but still has a big role in our offenses.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Have to get Swoope back too but that shouldn't be hard.  If not then they will need another tight end.

Have to think Swoope will be back. The ERFA tender is extremely cheap. That being said, I wouldn't  mind a late round pick on a guy like Jake Butt who will probably need a redshirt year coming off injury.

8 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

Here are the Franchise tag amounts for each position.  Take out Kicker/Punter, and Tight End is easily the lowest paid position.  Yet we are complaining about paying someone well below the franchise tag value on the least expensive position on the team...  astounding!

15 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Maybe if he comes in again, with his new contract he can afford to be a better tipper......:hide:

Ha, no, I don't get tips.  It was a holiday, and he was just getting some supplies for a party.  His patronage was awesome just by itself.  I think he is still the largest person to walk through our front door, he even had to dip his head a bit to get in the front door.  :D

I've been saying if he ever came in again that his tab would be on me, but with that new contract... :thinking:

17 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

If two average players + a project don't mean lackluster, then I dont know what does.

That's the thing......

You view Doyle as average.      I don't.

You view Swoope as a project and you mean it in a negative way.    That project began to pay off last year and there's no reason to think he won't get better.

I'll give you that Allan is average and is not earning his money.      But we disagree on two out of three.

Just a different perspective.....

55 minutes ago, Superman said:

tumblr_nljkkn0RsB1u9xjeto1_500.gif

I couldn't help but notice that you have yet to pass judgement on the quality of the signing.    You've said you want to wait to see the figures and I completely respect that.

So, as I'm sure you have,  I've tossed around some numbers in my head and this is my guess, my hunch for what it's going to show.....

3/19....

A 7 million signing bonus.  

1st year:   $2.5         SB and 1st year all guaranteed.     There's your 9.5 guaranteed money.

2nd year:    4 Mill

3rd year:    5.5  Mill.

I suspect I'm off a little here and there,  but I can't imagine I'm too far off.     Does this roughly match-up with your guess?

40 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Ha, no, I don't get tips.  It was a holiday, and he was just getting some supplies for a party.  His patronage was awesome just by itself.  I think he is still the largest person to walk through our front door, he even had to dip his head a bit to get in the front door.  :D

I've been saying if he ever came in again that his tab would be on me, but with that new contract... :thinking:

If i can ask, where did this take place? sorry if it was mentioned up above somewhere

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's cheaper than a high end 1st round rookie deal, but for a guy who's already got a good amount of NFL ball under his belt. He earned it.

Doyle's contract is very team friendly he didn't get as much as I thought it would take to keep him but Allen's contract is terrible very much overpaid him last off season.

26 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Doyle's contract is very team friendly he didn't get as much as I thought it would take to keep him but Allen's contract is terrible very much overpaid him last off season.

Can you name one player grigson didn't over pay lol, 

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I couldn't help but notice that you have yet to pass judgement on the quality of the signing.    You've said you want to wait to see the figures and I completely respect that.

So, as I'm sure you have,  I've tossed around some numbers in my head and this is my guess, my hunch for what it's going to show.....

3/19....

A 7 million signing bonus.  

1st year:   $2.5         SB and 1st year all guaranteed.     There's your 9.5 guaranteed money.

2nd year:    4 Mill

3rd year:    5.5  Mill.

I suspect I'm off a little here and there,  but I can't imagine I'm too far off.     Does this roughly match-up with your guess?

I don't know why some are unhappy. Maybe they have no idea how big the money is chasing so few impact players. It's a fair deal for both sides. You don't keep a quality player from fully testing the market with a cheap deal. As  far as what you have above , I can't imagine only a 2.5 base in 2017. We have so much cap money . But it's kind of stumping me as you would think he would have to get at least the 7 mill you mention as a SB. So is it possible the first years total salary wouldn't be part of the 9.5 ? Dunno. The only thing I can think of is something like this... 

2017 5 mill  guaranteed   2.5 guaranteed in roster or signing bonus 

2018 5 mill  2 mill guaranteed

2019  6.5 mill

8 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Can you name one player grigson didn't over pay lol, 

This isn't hard.....

Andrew Luck

Vonte Davis

TY Hilton

Anthony Castanzo

Robert Mathis

Eric Walden

Mike Adams

Dwight Lowery

Jarrell Freeman

Adam Vinatierri

Pat McAfee

I can go on.....

But I think you're mixing up "over paying" with some players who "under performed"....

There's a difference....

1 hour ago, bananabucket said:

"We" don't have any money tied up in this contract. It's not your money, or my money either for that matter. It's Jim Irsay's money, and the Colts have plenty of cap room. So why not pay the guy who makes the chains move when you really need it? Every team has to have that guy who can step up and get you a fresh set of downs instead of a punt out of a third-and-six. Nothing flashy, just nine yards when you needed six, or five yards when you needed three. Glad they got this one right.

Not sure there would be a market, but would love to see the Colts now trade Dwayne Allen.  He is too expensive, injury prone, and too often disappears in games.  I think with Doyle signed and Swoope emerging, they would see if they can swap Allen for a draft pick or a pass rusher.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I would've been fine with them letting him walk, but I'm really glad they signed him, & it's a good sign that the draft & the remainder of FA will be dedicated to defense. Win win.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I would've been fine with them letting him walk, but I'm really glad they signed him, & it's a good sign that the draft & the remainder of FA will be dedicated to defense. Win win.

Absolutely, now we won't draft a TE this year. I wasn't worried about getting one in the 1st round or anything like that, but if we let Doyle go, we could of easily used a mid-round pick on a TE that we can now use on an rb. Doyle is probably better than any mid-round TE as well.