Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree to terms with TE Jack Doyle on 3-year deal

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

we overpaid for him. We must be willing to let Allen go or have him restructure   

He's better than Allen IMO, I think this is smart. Maybe we do something with Allen now? Who knows? He can Block and catch. Andrew showed this past season he trusted him on key 3rd downs. I don't think a little over 6 mill a year is bad, he's only 26 so if he doesn't pan out by the time he's 29 we wont re-sign him, simple as that.

7 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Why would they do that? They have Eifert. And if they're at all concerned about his health, why would Dwayne Allen be on their short list of guys to get?

They "probably" wouldn't but Eifert is even more injury prone than Allen. Allen is the better blocker and maybe they'd like to get back to being more of a physical running team.  I'd definitely be trying to include Allen in a draft day deal. Whether it's Cincy or elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

we overpaid for him. We must be willing to let Allen go or have him restructure   

It doesn't sound like the colts are going to be spending lavishly in free agency so "overpaying" Doyle for a few yrs won't hurt.

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

They "probably" wouldn't but Eifert is even more injury prone than Allen. Allen is the better blocker and maybe they'd like to get back to being more of a physical running team.  I'd definitely be trying to include Allen in a draft day deal. Whether it's Cincy or elsewhere. 

Why does everyone think that Allen has trade value? He is the second best TE on our roster and on a premium contract.....yeah Ballards phone must be ringing off the hook for him.

1 minute ago, MTC said:

$9.5 million guaranteed  

We have plenty of Cap room, this is a Good move. Going into this, I wanted us to re-sign Doyle, Turbin, and Walden and that was it. Walden is in 30's but our Pass Rush is poor so if we re-sign him I am good with it, maybe for 3 years? Other than Walden I want to get younger which we have even showed signs of doing by letting Adams and Jackson go for example. Doyle has Great hands and Andrew has Great chemistry with him which is huge.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Why does everyone think that Allen has trade value? He is the second best TE on our roster and on a premium contract.....yeah Ballards phone must be ringing off the hook for him.

We might be able to include him in on certain deals? Just thinking outside the box. Not sure what he would he bring by himself? Maybe a 5th or 6th Rounder if we wanted to go that route.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

He's a good character guy and I think he'll be solid in a run heavy offense...  He's not the worst tight end in the game and his blocking is solid...  Hey I'm just trying to get this guy outta here before we're in the middle of a crucial drive next year and Chud opts to have Allen on the field and he drops a key 3rd or 4th down reception.  Stay positive and somebody might take him...  Please???

Was taking a nap with the TV on in the background.

Woke up immediately when I heard the NFL Network said "the Colts have re-signed Jack Doyle!"

3 years, 19 Million, 9.5 G.       Yes, please!    Our contract team continues to kill it.    Great sign.

Sports said his market value was 6.2 Mill for 4 years.   We get him for 6.33 Mill for 3 years --- one year less.

That's win-win.     And the two million he can earn only come thru incentives,  which is fair.    He's still less than either Fleener and Allen.     Right where he belongs.

This is an excellent first signing for Ballard.     A great deal for Doyle who gets another shot at a good contract BEFORE he's 30.     And a good sign for our front office team.    

Excellent day!!       :colts:

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

He's a good character guy and I think he'll be solid in a run heavy offense...  He's not the worst tight end in the game and his blocking is solid...  Hey I'm just trying to get this guy outta here before we're in the middle of a crucial drive next year and Chud opts to have Allen on the field and he drops a key 3rd or 4th down reception.  Stay positive and somebody might take him...  Please???

I don't hate Dwayne...just seen enough to realize that he has been disappointing. Outside the red zone he just hasn't been consistent...and I can't stand that.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Was taking a nap with the TV on in the background.

Woke up immediately when I heard the NFL Network said "the Colts have re-signed Jack Doyle!"

3 years, 19 Million, 9.5 G.       Yes, please!    Our contract team continues to kill it.    Great sign.

Sports said his market value was 6.2 Mill for 4 years.   We get him for 6.33 Mill for 3 years --- one year less.

That's win-win.     And the two million he can earn only come thru incentives,  which is fair.    He's still less than either Fleener and Allen.     Right where he belongs.

This is an excellent first signing for Ballard.     A great deal for Doyle who gets another shot at a good contract BEFORE he's 30.     And a good sign for our front office team.    

Excellent day!!       :colts:

Couldn't of said it better myself. I think this is a great move.

Everyone who is complaining about "overpaying" for Doyle or having two premium TE contracts in the books, think about this:

1) Doyle is set for 3 years and looks as of right now to be good for those three years, Allen? Not so much. Essentially we can carry both their contracts in the books for this ONE year alone and then release him next year no worries and then we only have ONE contract moving forward. 

2) Doyle is our set #1 TE, we talk around the league and let people know that Allen is on the trade block. If we can get a 4th or a 5th that would be decent and good value for someone many want to cut.

3) We keep both this coming year, and they both explode. In that case, we all win cause they play well and Allen shows glimpses of his past. 

1 minute ago, masnerj said:

Everyone who is complaining about "overpaying" for Doyle or having two premium TE contracts in the books, think about this:

1) Doyle is set for 3 years and looks as of right now to be good for those three years, Allen? Not so much. Essentially we can carry both their contracts in the books for this ONE year alone and then release him next year no worries and then we only have ONE contract moving forward. 

2) Doyle is our set #1 TE, we talk around the league and let people know that Allen is on the trade block. If we can get a 4th or a 5th that would be decent and good value for someone many want to cut.

3) We keep both this coming year, and they both explode. In that case, we all win cause they play well and Allen shows glimpses of his past. 

Nicely put

I don't view Doyle as an essential part of the offense. From that standpoint, I didn't view Doyle as a must to bring back though someone you would like to. I do wonder in the grand scheme of things if it is worth giving as much money to Allen/Doyle as the Colts are but not sure how that compares to TE spending by other teams.

On the other hand, I don't think this is an over the top contract for Doyle. It's not a bargain for the Colts but it is not going to prevent them from making other signings this offseason or in the future. Not a move to be upset about.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

What I could have said is......

Doyle is signed for 3 more years....

And Allen has 3 more years on his contract.d

Looks like the two of them are JOINED AT THE HIP!!

No!     Wait!!              :peek:    <<rimshot!!!>>

Allen has shown he can be good in the redzone at times haha. That is critical.

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Anything more then 5 mil and I'll be upset

Look at the whole thread.

Look at the numbers involved.

I think you'll change your view on this.....

This signing is a win for everyone involved.      Good day for Colts fans.    Very good!!

Dwayne Allen's contract details.  Click the the Pre June 1 drop down menu and change to Post June 1:

http://overthecap.com/player/dwayne-allen/557/

Lets add Spotrac for further clarity:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/dwayne-allen-9874/

This could be done with the future in mind, as I pointed out in an earlier thread.....

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Allen has shown he can be good in the redzone at times haha. That is critical.

Very good point.     Allen is extremely good in the red zone.

All the complaining about Allen is so overblown.

That said,   I'm expecting him to have a much better year.

1 minute ago, ar7 said:

I don't view Doyle as an essential part of the offense. From that standpoint, I didn't view Doyle as a must to bring back though someone you would like to. I do wonder in the grand scheme of things if it is worth giving as much money to Allen/Doyle as the Colts are but not sure how that compares to TE spending by other teams.

On the other hand, I don't think this is an over the top contract for Doyle. It's not a bargain for the Colts but it is not going to prevent them from making other signings this offseason or in the future. Not a move to be upset about.

I think Doyle is our 2nd best option. From what I was watching this past season, Andrew trusted him and TY more than anyone.

22 minutes ago, CR91 said:

6.5 mil? Oh wells

Not to quibble,  but in the interest of accuracy....

It's 6.33 Million.      And Spotrac had his market value pegged at $6.2 Mill,  so we're right in line with projections.

Very good signing........

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don't hate Dwayne...just seen enough to realize that he has been disappointing. Outside the red zone he just hasn't been consistent...and I can't stand that.

I don't hate Allen either. I just don't trust him in catching the ball consistently. He really looks like a guy who fights the ball when catching. Not smooth and natural at all. He's really hit or miss. At times he looks extremely solid and other time he blows routine plays...  I've just had enough of the Allen roller coaster ride of inconsistency and unavailability...

5 minutes ago, ar7 said:

It's cheaper than a high end 1st round rookie deal, but for a guy who's already got a good amount of NFL ball under his belt. He earned it.