Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What do you guys make of this statement (AJ Bouye)?

1 hour ago, JRnINDY said:

High price, considering there's an abundance of 1st Rd talent in this years draft.

Completely agree. This draft Indy needs to come out with at least a quality CB, OLB, and RB. All those positions are loaded this year. I'd be a fan of doubling down on CB even.

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I would put AJ Bouye as our top free agent target

I like your thinking...

It would be nice to get such a talent... particularly with the added motivation of your ex team not resigning you.  Probably won't happen tho

I hope they don't overspend this free agency, and Bouye is a guy who will get paid a ton. But didn't Ballard say that he'd be more focused on building the trenches, and that you can't "buy" a locker room (implying that we won't be spending big on free agents). Unless the FO is that high on Bouye and they consider Corner that big of a need (which, to an extent it is, but I wouldn't prioritize it that much in FA, considering the quality and depth of the cb class in the draft). I don't know if I see Ballard dishing out upwards or 10 million, especially for a player who really only had 1 good year.

25 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I hope they don't overspend this free agency, and Bouye is a guy who will get paid a ton. But didn't Ballard say that he'd be more focused on building the trenches, and that you can't "buy" a locker room (implying that we won't be spending big on free agents). Unless the FO is that high on Bouye and they consider Corner that big of a need (which, to an extent it is, but I wouldn't prioritize it that much in FA, considering the quality and depth of the cb class in the draft). I don't know if I see Ballard dishing out upwards or 10 million, especially for a player who really only had 1 good year.

Buying a locker room has nothing to do with how much he spends.  He meant he cant just spend money and expect everything to be fine.  He can't bring in guys with bad character and expect them to be part of the locker room as in "the family"     He didn't say he wouldn't spend

8 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Buying a locker room has nothing to do with how much he spends.  He meant he cant just spend money and expect everything to be fine.  He can't bring in guys with bad character and expect them to be part of the locker room as in "the family"     He didn't say he wouldn't spend

Not saying he isn't gonna spend. I guess I just read into his words differently.

The way I see it, when he referred to the "locker room" he meant more than just the players on the team. It's the leaders, and the core group of guys that make up the foundation of the squad. The leaders of your team (not specifically vocal leaders, more so, the key players on your squad). Because of this, I think, especially early on in his tenure, that we'll be more of the "build through the draft, sign our own guys, and only sign mid tier free agents". Now I might be completely wrong, but that's the way I see Chris Ballard running the team. 

Oh he'll spend in FA, but I don't know if he'll go for any stars/big names early on. 

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Whatever I sign a free agent DB for, I would keep in mind how that affects Vontae's re-sign price.  I say that because, contrary to what a lot of forum posters think, I think Vontae is an absolute STUD corner!

Well they still need a 2nd corner regardless of Davis.  Adding another stud corner would give the Colts some leverage with Davis as well.  

also Davis had a down year last year.  If he has another sub par year it's very likely that Ballard, a new GM, would let him walk in favor of finding his own guys.

With the CB's in this draft, there's no way I'd pay what it would take to get Bouye. He had a great season last year, but that was his only good season and came in a contract year. That concerns me. Usually FA's are safer than rookies, but I feel like you don't exactly know what you're getting with Bouye.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

With the CB's in this draft, there's no way I'd pay what it would take to get Bouye. He had a great season last year, but that was his only good season and came in a contract year. That concerns me. Usually FA's are safer than rookies, but I feel like you don't exactly know what you're getting with Bouye.

You beat me to what I was thinking and going to say. As loaded as this draft is for corners, I'd rather draft a corner than buy Bouye.

3 hours ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Butler might want to switch to safety and if so, he's as good as gone.

If Butler wants to play safety he's as good as gone? If that's what you meant, I'd have to say that he'll probably be a much better safety than slot corner at this point in his career.

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Glad he went elsewhere he only had one good year 

Say hwat?

On 3/7/2017 at 8:37 PM, twfish said:

Leary about a guy who played really well in a contract year with his d-line doing good and putting pressure on a qb and his team isn't doing there best to sign him. Pass pass and more pass

This is my concern over any FA QB, what does their defense around them look like vs ours? The Texans have several playmakers on their team defense, we don't except maybe Vontae. This year could be different with another year experience but still, will that 15 mil/yr CB solve our defensive issues over a talented pass rusher? I'd stick with putting more money into rushers and less into the cb spots. With just a moderate amount more pass rush for this team, the cb's we have now will do until younger draft picks develop. 

On 3/7/2017 at 8:30 PM, 1959Colts said:

I would put AJ Bouye as our top free agent target

definitely I would much rather pay him then overpay davis at an older age. His contract is up next year and he will be 30 going into 2018 season. Signing bouye potentially coming #1 CB would then allow retaining davis for cheaper. If davis is our only elite CB he going to likely want more money then previous contract and it all depends how long of a contract he wants. Either way davis contract being up next year puts Colts in a tough spot @ CB.