Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts contacted Bengals about 9th overall pick during combine

Steamboat_Shaun

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

my bet is... this is a farce

Or the Colts seriously did say it, but are just using it to make another team nervous for some reason to bring someone to the negotiating table. It's impossible to say.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, dew5150 said:

I'd trade with Cleveland for their #1...

Colts give up...

2017 - Round 1 pick + Round 4 pick

2018 - Round 1 pick

Colts get CLE #1 for 2017

so we can get Myles Garrett  He's a franchise player.

Cleveland wouldn't make that trade.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The fact that he's referring to Ballard as "John" certainly doesn't help his credibility though...

Not speaking to this guy's credibility, but I think calling him John is an understandable mistake, given the Chiefs GM is John Dorsey. I listened to an interview with Ballard and a KC radio host, and he accidentally called him John. 

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

What? Trade up for Peppers?

Yes. 

I wouldn't, but I would understand. He's a dynamic playmaker who can do multiple things for your team, and I think that's the range in which he'll be drafted. 

Just now, Superman said:

Yes. 

I wouldn't, but I would understand. He's a dynamic playmaker who can do multiple things for your team, and I think that's the range in which he'll be drafted. 

Plus it would help us get Harbaugh to coach lol. Two Heisman runner ups he coached and to win the championship he missed out on as a coach with the team he played for.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Yes. 

Peppers is a late 1st to me, can't see why anyone would trade up for a safety that never played safety. Especially when Obi just put on a show at the combine. 

12 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Peppers is a late 1st to me, can't see why anyone would trade up for a safety that never played safety. Especially when Obi just put on a show at the combine. 

I disagree, obviously. Peppers played all over the place, including safety. To me, he's this year's Myles Jack. I think he's going in the top 10. 

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Anyone else think it is entirely too early to be discussing trades? I mean nobody has even had a pro day yet. Hard to discuss a trade when you haven't even completed your draft board. 

Everybody's there in the same place. Teams (and agents) start feeling each other out at the Combine. 

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

Everybody's there in the same place. Teams (and agents) start feeling each other out at the Combine. 

I suppose...I just find it difficult to believe we've formulated a draft board to even know 9 is where we would like to be. Possibly just gaging values I suppose....just hard for me to believe we've targeted a single player already.

Coming from someone who REALLY wants Foster as our first round pick, this talk about a trade up probably isn't about Foster. With the medical story and him getting sent home + injury stuff, I doubt Ballard is gonna trade up for that when there is a DECENT change Foster "drops" to us (in which case, I would run to the podium like the roadrunner). 

It has to be an elite guy that he is super convinced about. I am thinking, maybe one of the top top DBs if they drop? Potentially Fournette. I don't think its Soloman Thomas cause he isn't that great of a fit and as much as I love Barnett, he isn't a great fit either (though Ballard is one of those GMs who believe most people can make transition from 4-3 to 3-4 end so who knows).

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I suppose...I just find it difficult to believe we've formulated a draft board to even know 9 is where we would like to be. Possibly just gaging values I suppose....just hard for me to believe we've targeted a single player already.

This is what's leaked. I'm sure they've had multiples conversations with other teams. They wouldn't be doing their jobs if they haven't.

As for their draft board, they should have had that set two months ago. Changes here and there as new information comes in, but for the most part, they have their players graded.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

Plus it would help us get Harbaugh to coach lol. Two Heisman runner ups he coached and to win the championship he missed out on as a coach with the team he played for.

Harbaugh is not going to be the coach for the Colts anytime.

He wants control and he wouldn't have it in Indy.

6 hours ago, shastamasta said:

The Colts traded up 5 spots from 97 to 92 to draft Hilton...for the price of a future 5th round pick.

To get from 15 to 9, the Colts are looking at giving up a lot more. In last year's draft, TEN traded up from 15 to 8 to select Conklin. It cost them pick #76 as well as this year's 2nd round pick (#52).

The Hilton comparison is really apples to oranges here. I can understand moving up to get your guy later in the draft, but not in the first round when this team needs an infusion of good young talent. 

6 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I cant say that I agree with that, because if that is always the mind set, The Colts wouldn't have TY because we actually traded up to get him. Just because you have many rookies doesn't mean that you have the needed pieces to win. I'd rather have a few (4-6) guaranteed studs than to have 7 picks and getting (5-7) mediocre players.

Of whom, 2-3 players wont make the team anyways. jbh. Get the Olineman ala (Cody Whitehair 2 Rd/56 ovr), than experiment players (TJ Green 2RD/57 ovr) .  

As you can see, We drafted someone that's iffy/inexperienced, and could have gotten the player at the position of need.1 year later, We still need to address what we needed 1 year prior. That's what happens, You pick a mediocre player and 1 year later, You still wasting A pick to get the position you needed to begin with. 

Get me the Jaime Collins OLB, Landon Collins SS, type of rookies who can start day 1. None of those bjorn Werner experimental players who may not even be on the team Week 4.

I didnt have to bring up fruits in my disagreement with you. I simply stated moving up to get gems ala Cody Whitehair or even the year Colts could have drafted Clay Matthews, is worth the gamble when the 7th Rounder or even 6 sometimes, end up not making your 53 man roster sir. no apples required. 

That statement of TENN moving up to get OT Cocklin. Well i guess that proves my point of moving up to get gems because if my memory serves me correctly, Wasnt "rookie" OT Cocklin a Pro Bowler? or the COLTS couldnt use one of those guys on their team? Not even rookie C Ryan Kelley made the pro Bowl as a rookie.

Tell me the last time a rookie olineman made the pro bowl, even better an OFFENSIVE TACKLE. like the hardest position to find next to QB. I bet if the colts are guaranteed to get a Pro Bowl rookie olineman, I BET you that they will gladly pull the trigger, regardless of who is on the board. And the Colts just paid luck, AND luck just had surgery.!

The value of good olineman are DISPLAYED when you play teams like DENVER, PATS, PITTSBURGH, even the TEXANS (jj watt, J. Clowney) I just took your oranges and made juice. 

btw im not making a case for them to draft an olineman, Im just in favor of moving up to get the pro bowler (if he's there) versus drafting...idk lets say

Round 7 (239): Trevor Bates, outside linebacker, Maine

or 

Round 7 (248): Austin Blythe, center, Iowa

54 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

If we had lost to Jack in the last round we would be drafting at 11......................just saying   :peek:

But we'd be 7-9. I am too prideful with my colts for them to have a losing season. 

I would stay put where we are. But, then again I don't have a clue on the draft or watch college football or who is who so ignore me. It's why I don't post as much this time of year. lmao 

I just want someone that is a defensive player, any defensive player. Preferably someone who isn't ranked as "a project" too and is ready to roll asap to help our sorry excuse of a defense.

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Man we couldn't disagree more! Lol this will be a fun draft to watch. 

Peppers reminds me of a 6'3 star high school basketball center. Super athletic. Can jump. But when he wants to make a jump to the bigger leagues. He is too short and small to play down low. And hasn't developed his handles or vision as a guard(as him being a center) to be a star at the college or NBA level. Peppers is a tweener. But does have great potential.  

9 hours ago, Superman said:

Yes. 

YES, thank you. I thought I was the only one left who likes Peppers.

14 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If they're trying to trade up, I'm guessing it's to grab an edge guy. They could probably get Cook at 15, or even if they traded back.

What edge guy would be there at 9 that wont at 15

58 minutes ago, Stephen said:

What edge guy would be there at 9 that wont at 15

We dont know for sure, but we do know that the Saints almost have to be picking defense, so it doesnt hurt to find out the asking price to jump ahead of them. Not to mention the Bengals themselves needing pass rush upgrades and LB help. 

I think it was more about knowing what are options are if our top targets fall to around that area. Wont be a trade we make until draft day I would assume. 

15 hours ago, dew5150 said:

I'd trade with Cleveland for their #1...

Colts give up...

2017 - Round 1 pick + Round 4 pick

2018 - Round 1 pick

Colts get CLE #1 for 2017

so we can get Myles Garrett  He's a franchise player.

The 1st overall pick is 3000 points so that's not even close to what we'd need to get there. You're probably looking at the following. Keep in mind future picks normally have a decreased value, normally 1 round's worth less of value per year of deferment-ish, e.g. a 2018 1st would be approximately the same points as a reasonably high 2017 2nd.

2017 #15  -  1050

2017 #46  -  440

2017 #80  -  190

2018 1st   -  Approx 500

2018 2nd  -  Approx 250

2019 1st   -  Approx 400

2019 2nd  -  Approx 180

Garrett is really good but believe me, he's not worth giving up a trove like that for.  

16 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

"Hey Paul, it's Chris in Indy. I got this great WR, he's a former 1st rounder, and our 15th pick. Let's make a deal."

"Hey Chris!  You know what, keep that WR...I'd  be will to trade pick for pick."  "Damnit...ok"

15 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but D Cook to me makes more sense.....He'll help A Luck from getting hit a lot.  The O-Line has improved, they've shown that in the latter part of 2016.  So, the focus is trying get Cook and an Improved O-Line and we're in business.....Please make it happen Mr Ballard....

Maybe if he is there at 15.  Trading into the top ten for anyone rb is not a smart move.  Running backs have a short shelf life