Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Late Round Steals

Losing the toss, best players available may be gone...doesn't matter really in my opinion. I feel like there's talent to be had and that beast of a monster can still be built in this draft class and next years. Even if we draft a RB in the first. I'm just being an optimistic here. With big pick ups in free agency, what do you guys think of these players? I think all will be available at any pick we have (late rounds)?

Steven Taylor LB/OLB - Houston

David Perkins OLB - Illinois State

Anthony Walker ILB - Northwestern

Cameron Sutton CB - Tennessee

Rasul Douglas CB - West Virginia

Kareem Hunt RB - Toledo

Jamal Williams RB - BYU

1 hour ago, Mr_486lo said:

Losing the toss, best players available may be gone...doesn't matter really in my opinion. I feel like there's talent to be had and that beast of a monster can still be built in this draft class and next years. Even if we draft a RB in the first. I'm just being an optimistic here. With big pick ups in free agency, what do you guys think of these players? I think all will be available at any pick we have (late rounds)?

Kareem Hunt RB - Toledo

Jamal Williams RB - BYU

I think they're all going to be taken between the 3rd and 5th round.

That's not my definition of "late round steals"....

I define late round as 6th and 7th round.       I think all these guys will be long bone by then.

Late round may have been a stretch but in each round, Allow me to retort....I think all will be available n the middle to 5th rounds. These players are not highly valued. The RBs and Walker may be gone but the others may be there IMO.

51 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

Late round may have been a stretch but in each round, Allow me to retort....I think all will be available n the middle to 5th rounds. These players are not highly valued. The RBs and Walker may be gone but the others may be there IMO.

I don't know why you think they're not highly valued.     You may be right,  but that's not what I'm reading about them.

Guess we'll find out in about 7-8 weeks....

Of all those 7 players, I'm keen on Hunt, Douglas, or Williams as a possible piece to add to our "Monster".

RB Hunt - brings multi-faceted tools, agility, and strong burst. 3rd Round or later would be a good value pick.

CB Douglas - Has good size and range, liken him to a man-to-man cover corner, prototype size but needs refinement. 3rd Round or later, as a potential project that could take over for Vontae Davis, someday.

RB Williams - Has an NFL physique & brings the hammer with his carries, tough runner that won't go down easy, & could spell Frank Gore and learn to improve his excellent interior running with Gore's leadership. 4th Round selection is optimistic but feasible in this deep RB class.

I was highest on Hunt & McNichols as our 3rd Round selection, if we don't draft a RB in the 1st, but I watched film on this guy after seeing his combine numbers - http://draftbreakdown.com/players/tarik-cohen/

RB Tarik Cohen - would be a Late Round Steal for us! He wouldn't need our feature back, but I like his effort & low-center of gravity for 3rd Down blocking, but his catching out of the backfield, outrageous elusiveness, flashing speed, and his ability to command Defenses to need more than one defender to tackle him makes him a potential Diamond in the Rough - in this RB Class! Regardless of draftomg a RB early, I'd Draft him for depth.

16 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Losing the coin flip doesn't matter. Philly will take Davis, Williams, or Ross. It wont effect us in a negative way. In fact I'm pretty sure we pick a spot or 2 earlier in the 2nd now. Right????

We should pick two spots before MIN in the 2nd now. BAL apparently picks after us then MIN in the 2nd. That gets flipped around in the 3rd tho BAL-MIN-IND

30 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

Both seem like really good late round RB picks. i would give the edge to Jeremy Mcnichols bc he has faced better competition.

McNichols graded higher than Dalvin Cook in all 3 significant athletic areas according to advanced combine metrics. And Jones graded better in all but speed.  

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

McNichols graded higher than Dalvin Cook in all 3 significant athletic areas according to advanced combine metrics. And Jones graded better in all but speed.  

and that's why i don't want a RB in the 1st like some of these people! We can find excellent RB's in Rds 3-6

19 hours ago, Mr_486lo said:

Kareem Hunt RB - Toledo

Jamal Williams RB - BYU

David Perkins was picked up as an Undrafted Free Agent by Seattle last year. Hes not in this years draft.

9 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

They're a small minority that will be upset draft night. Lol. 

Back on topic. Marcus Maye. If he could be considered "late round".

I'm sure there will be a few that are upset!

I like Kai Nacua, BYU better than Maye. Idk if he will be a late Rd pick tho

On 3/4/2017 at 8:30 PM, Mr_486lo said:

Kareem Hunt RB - Toledo

Jamal Williams RB - BYU

Late rounds? None of these guys will be there late except maybe maybe Williams. Hunt is going to go day 2 I think. Williams top ILB Sutton had preseason 1st round buzz. Taylor has a buzz. 

I would take a combination of Hunt/Walker Hunt/Douglas or Douglas/Walker with our 2 4th round picks right now. You could sub Sutton for Douglas I go back and forth on those 2. Sutton has punt return experience. 

Perkins was my sleeper last season He is an Indiana boy started college at OSU transferred to Ill St to see the field sooner He signed as an UDFA with Seattle.

My 6th round guy this year if we don't sign a NT in FA is Big Stevie from USC They don't call him big Stevie for nothing 

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

Late rounds? None of these guys will be there late except maybe maybe Williams. Hunt is going to go day 2 I think. Williams top ILB Sutton had preseason 1st round buzz. Taylor has a buzz. 

I would take a combination of Hunt/Walker Hunt/Douglas or Douglas/Walker with our 2 4th round picks right now. You could sub Sutton for Douglas I go back and forth on those 2. Sutton has punt return experience. 

Perkins was my sleeper last season He is an Indiana boy started college at OSU transferred to Ill St to see the field sooner He signed as an UDFA with Seattle.

My 6th round guy this year if we don't sign a NT in FA is Big Stevie from USC They don't call him big Stevie for nothing 

Every round that we draft in....ALL OF THESE PLAYERS WILL BE AVAILABLE. Late round was the wrong choice of words. A couple of the players may have a buzz, but lets be real here...its the combine. We truly don't know if Sutton isn't injury prone so i don't get his buzz. Taylor is a flat out beast and he's a 3rd rounder at the moment due to him being undersized. He's maybe a 2nd if his buzz is strong enough. I had no clue about Perkins being with Seattle now...that sucks. Rasul Douglas created a little buzz too. I really like these guys chances of being drafted by us at some point. The litter will be picked clean IMO

One guy I have my eye on is DE Keionta Davis from Tennessee-Chattanooga. He is roughly 6'3" and 270 lbs and was incredibly productive in college, albeit against lesser competition. He reminds me of Matt Judon in last year's draft class. Not so much in their style of play, but as a productive small school guy with potential. 

19 hours ago, Mr_486lo said:

Every round that we draft in....ALL OF THESE PLAYERS WILL BE AVAILABLE. Late round was the wrong choice of words. A couple of the players may have a buzz, but lets be real here...its the combine. We truly don't know if Sutton isn't injury prone so i don't get his buzz. Taylor is a flat out beast and he's a 3rd rounder at the moment due to him being undersized. He's maybe a 2nd if his buzz is strong enough. I had no clue about Perkins being with Seattle now...that sucks. Rasul Douglas created a little buzz too. I really like these guys chances of being drafted by us at some point. The litter will be picked clean IMO

So you are saying Hunt Douglas Walker Sutton will be there in the 5tb 6th & 7th? That's absurd. There is no way these guys will be available in every round as you just said. They won't be there late as you stated in the firsf post. 

I want to believe you just haven't mastered the English language. Honestly I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I'm not sure you do either. 

We don't truly know if injuries will get anyone. It's football. Sutton's buzz is from his play as a CB and a PR in previous years particularly 2015. He was thought to be a top CB coming in to the season. 

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

So you are saying Hunt Douglas Walker Sutton will be there in the 5tb 6th & 7th? That's absurd. There is no way these guys will be available in every round as you just said. They won't be there late as you stated in the firsf post. 

I want to believe you just haven't mastered the English language. Honestly I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I'm not sure you do either. 

We don't truly know if injuries will get anyone. It's football. Sutton's buzz is from his play as a CB and a PR in previous years particularly 2015. He was thought to be a top CB coming in to the season. 

I never claim to be the smartest nor do i know what we are going to do in the draft. None of us do, but its fun talking about it. Here's my problem and this is my attempt to refrain from going off on you. I did not insult you nor your opinion(s) or intelligence. If you don't understand something, then say that instead of being an internet chump...I'm sorry. I'll just say bully.

For those that can't read between the lines, let me make myself a tad bit clearer. 

Each player I named has a grade on them already, whether its a 2nd, 3rd or whatever.

Taylor, Walker and Douglas have 3rd round grades with potential to move in the 2nd round. If we take Taylor then obviously Walker and Douglas would be gone by our next pick (because of their grade). With our next pick if either player are still available, you have the pick of the litter including the remaining players that have higher round grades. And etc...If you think they won't be there..ok. I'm hoping they will.

I really hate it when a person insults another over a matter of opinion ON THE INTERNET like they're all tough and bad *. Have a debate socially, agree or disagree or agree to disagree. There's right ways to do it but insults Isn't one of them. You can keep those. 

I hope I cleared that up for you. 

On 3/5/2017 at 4:13 AM, BlueTruth said:

Of all those 7 players, I'm keen on Hunt, Douglas, or Williams as a possible piece to add to our "Monster".

RB Hunt - brings multi-faceted tools, agility, and strong burst. 3rd Round or later would be a good value pick.

CB Douglas - Has good size and range, liken him to a man-to-man cover corner, prototype size but needs refinement. 3rd Round or later, as a potential project that could take over for Vontae Davis, someday.

RB Williams - Has an NFL physique & brings the hammer with his carries, tough runner that won't go down easy, & could spell Frank Gore and learn to improve his excellent interior running with Gore's leadership. 4th Round selection is optimistic but feasible in this deep RB class.

I was highest on Hunt & McNichols as our 3rd Round selection, if we don't draft a RB in the 1st, but I watched film on this guy after seeing his combine numbers - http://draftbreakdown.com/players/tarik-cohen/

RB Tarik Cohen - would be a Late Round Steal for us! He wouldn't need our feature back, but I like his effort & low-center of gravity for 3rd Down blocking, but his catching out of the backfield, outrageous elusiveness, flashing speed, and his ability to command Defenses to need more than one defender to tackle him makes him a potential Diamond in the Rough - in this RB Class! Regardless of draftomg a RB early, I'd Draft him for depth.

A couple of things.

1) Kareem Hunt is probably no longer a 3rd down guy.  He was a guy I liked in the 3rd round, too.  His combine was pretty meh.  Not horrible, but he certainly didn't impress either.  If he can improve on his pro day, maybe.  But I find myself questioning whether he's a day 2 player.

2) Williams - you're going to have to specify which Williams you are talking about.  There are 3 RBs with the same last name.  But I assume you're talking about Jamaal given your brief description.  I've made my thoughts on him known, but suffice it to say that I wouldn't touch him until the 5th round, but I wouldn't be comfortable drafting him until the 6th round.  

3) Cohen - this guy is literally teh opposite style running back to J Williams.  I wouldn't trust him to take on blocking NFL defensive lineman and linebackers early in his career.  He needs to add some weight, but he really does compare well to Darren Sproles (lofty, to be fair) except that he doesn't have any real experience returning kicks/punts.  He also needs to try to stop scoring by all means necessary on ever play trying to bounce outside or 180.  Learn when to just put your head down and get what you can.

On 3/5/2017 at 6:06 PM, GoColts00 said:

I'm sure there will be a few that are upset!

I like Kai Nacua, BYU better than Maye. Idk if he will be a late Rd pick tho

Kai Nacua is a ball hawk with great instinct. It seems like he's always making game winning plays on Defense. But I think he is too slow for the NFL. I wouldn't use a pick on him but I would sign him as an UDFA

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

Kai Nacua is a ball hawk with great instinct. It seems like he's always making game winning plays on Defense. But I think he is too slow for the NFL. I wouldn't use a pick on him but I would sign him as an UDFA

idk if he's too slow. we'll find out on March 24 at the BYU pro day. he seems to always be in the right spot to make an INT though. Whether we pick him in the draft or udfa I would like the Colts to see what he can do in the NFL bc he's that good.

1 hour ago, GoColts00 said:

idk if he's too slow. we'll find out on March 24 at the BYU pro day. he seems to always be in the right spot to make an INT though. Whether we pick him in the draft or udfa I would like the Colts to see what he can do in the NFL bc he's that good.

I think if he was more athletic he would be a mid round guy. We don't have a 6th or 7th and he's definitely not worth a 5th.  honestly he might be better than TJ green in every way outside of athletic ability and I hope we get him as an UDFA

14 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

A couple of things.

1) Kareem Hunt is probably no longer a 3rd down guy.  He was a guy I liked in the 3rd round, too.  His combine was pretty meh.  Not horrible, but he certainly didn't impress either.  If he can improve on his pro day, maybe.  But I find myself questioning whether he's a day 2 player.

2) Williams - you're going to have to specify which Williams you are talking about.  There are 3 RBs with the same last name.  But I assume you're talking about Jamaal given your brief description.  I've made my thoughts on him known, but suffice it to say that I wouldn't touch him until the 5th round, but I wouldn't be comfortable drafting him until the 6th round.  

3) Cohen - this guy is literally teh opposite style running back to J Williams.  I wouldn't trust him to take on blocking NFL defensive lineman and linebackers early in his career.  He needs to add some weight, but he really does compare well to Darren Sproles (lofty, to be fair) except that he doesn't have any real experience returning kicks/punts.  He also needs to try to stop scoring by all means necessary on ever play trying to bounce outside or 180.  Learn when to just put your head down and get what you can.

I agree with Cohen and J. Williams points you've made, each player would be a very "special trait"/ 1 tool player. -Williams is a power back with little wiggle & needs to improve his vision if he were to be used on every down. His stock is down after the combine, but I wasn't expecting him to show anything that illustrates his ability to bring the hammer. -Cohen is the "Adam Dunn" of Football; it's a homerun or nothing! He looked like he has a solid build running at the combine (with no other player around to show height disparity) then I saw his film and playing style. IF he can bring some return ability to a team then he'll have a roster spot, IF he can catch the ball out the back field and be like Dante Hall or Tyreek Hill in open field then he'll be on an NFL team, but he's definitely not going through the tackles on 4th and 1, like (J. Williams) a power back would. Cohen is a "Dancer" with electric movement, though he doesn't possess enough bulk or skill to block on third downs, he has something that any team could use as a special weapon and I'd be happy if could bring that to Colts roster; to round-out the team. But he's not a feature back, and that's fine, could help Us win.

For Kareem Hunt the combine wasn't a great "interview" to all 32 teams watching, but that's fine. Like what Bill Polian says, "Go check the Tape!", so the combine isn't a first impression; his tape is. And though his forty and jumps weren't what one expected or hoped for, his game film illustrated his shiftiness on the field and "rocket" effort, which can't be measured in combine drills. If he could illustrate his elusiveness at the combine then his stock would register at Day 2, but I don't care if his stock is down or if other teams grade him lower; if anything that's good cause he may be available in the 4th Round and that's AWESOME if CB drafts a potential 3 down back w/ catching ability that late. Honestly, I don't care where a player is drafted to Us, as long as they get drafted by Us or join Our roster as an UDFA, my main point is: Hunt is a good player that could help Us win and if he's drafted later because the combine then We're more likely to have a well-rounded Draft when We take Day 2 players later then the 3rd Round.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2017 at 3:11 PM, Luck 4 president said:

I think if he was more athletic he would be a mid round guy. We don't have a 6th or 7th and he's definitely not worth a 5th.  honestly he might be better than TJ green in every way outside of athletic ability and I hope we get him as an UDFA

BYU had their pro day. Kai Nacua ran a 4.5, 39" vertical and a 10'7" broad jump. That's athletic!

6 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

BYU had their pro day. Kai Nacua ran a 4.5, 39" vertical and a 10'7" broad jump. That's athletic!

Ya I saw that, but I'm pretty sure the 40 was hand timed. The 39" vert though is very impressive. Combine that with his instinct and playmaking ability and he will be a very good safety in the NFL