Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne one team or two teams?

Colts1324

8 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Will he have to be considered a Patriot too if he gets in the Hall? Would he be listed as a Patriot for 2015 even though he never played an official down for them? Should he be? It really bugs me because he was and is ONLY a Colt. 

NFL players are not enshrined into the HOF listed as a player for a team.

Doubt he makes the HOF.  Will probably fall just short.  Needed another good year or two.  Another ring or two wouldn't have hurt either.  Had the Colts won multiple titles, several more players might have made it. With three rings, Freeney, Mathis  and possibly even Saturday look quite different.  If Edge finishes his career with Colts and wins a ring, he probably makes it.

It will probably be listed on his head bust but it doesn't matter nobody is really going to remember he was a short lived Patriot except Pats fans.

To most people he will be a Colt (like Saturday who played half a season with the Packers most remember him as a Colt)

It gets kind of tricky when talking about Vinateri though (who played Pats/Colts and was memorable for both but mostly the Pats)

12 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Will he have to be considered a Patriot too if he gets in the Hall? Would he be listed as a Patriot for 2015 even though he never played an official down for them? Should he be? It really bugs me because he was and is ONLY a Colt. 

you answered your own question.  He wasn't on their final roster and never played a game, he will go as a Colt

3 hours ago, CF4L said:

It will probably be listed on his head bust but it doesn't matter nobody is really going to remember he was a short lived Patriot except Pats fans.

To most people he will be a Colt (like Saturday who played half a season with the Packers most remember him as a Colt)

It gets kind of tricky when talking about Vinateri though (who played Pats/Colts and was memorable for both but mostly the Pats)

Vinatieri has been a Colt longer than a Patriot.

It makes no difference as players brought into the HOF because they are not listed with a team. It is a career not what team they played on.

5 hours ago, #12. said:

Doubt he makes the HOF.  Will probably fall just short.  Needed another good year or two.  Another ring or two wouldn't have hurt either.  Had the Colts won multiple titles, several more players might have made it. With three rings, Freeney, Mathis  and possibly even Saturday look quite different.  If Edge finishes his career with Colts and wins a ring, he probably makes it.

He should make the HOF.  He has the credentials, undoubtedly.  He won't be a first-ballot (Marvin should, IMO, have been first ballot), but he should make it in his 4th year or so of eligibility.  Edge should also get in within the next 3 years.

When Reggie retired he was 8th all time in receiving yards (since surpassed by Steve Smith and Larry Fitz, and currently sits at 10th all time).  Anquain Boldin is within a year or 2 and Brandon Marshall is probably 3 years away (if he lasts that long) from passing Reggie. 

When Reggie retired he was 7th in all time receptions (since surpassed by Larry Fitz, Jason Witten, and Boldin and currently sits at 10th).  Brandon Marshall is 129 receptions away -- so he'd have to have 2 fairly good seasons left to pass Reggie.  There is nobody else in the NFL that may move ahead of Reggie prior to him becoming eligible for the HOF.  My guess is when he becomes eligible he will be top 10 in two of the three main categories for WRs (receptions and receiving yards).

He is currently tied for 23rd in receiving TDs, with Boldin and Marshall being the others at that number.  So he's likely to be 25th of all time in that category when he's eligible.  Top 10, top 10, top 25 is pretty darn amazing.

Reggie is tied for 8th all time for receiving TDs in the post-season, he is second all-time in post-season receptions (I think Edelman may surpass him next year, if healthy), and 4th all-time in post-season receiving yards.  So when he's eligible for the HOF, he might be 4th, 3rd and and 8th or 9th all-time in the 3 big WR categories for the post-season.

Reggie has a ring.  Reggie produced after Peyton, and proved to be a true leader of men in Luck's rookie year (remember the GB game when they asked Arians after the game about Reggie's performance and he described it as 'Hall of Fame').  Reggie was never in trouble off the field, and he never did anything but show to be an exceptional teammate (two things killing TO right now).  

If Reggie doesn't make it to the HOF, it will be a darn shame.  If not cut short by injury, Reggie would have easily found himself in the top 5 for receptions and receiving yards -- regardless, he's still top 10 in both.  If Reggie's numbers are not HOF material, I don't know what is.

6 hours ago, #12. said:

Yeah. But he is pretty popular among his NFL peers. He meant so much to the franchise. And he had great sportsmanship. I think it he has a good chance. 

19 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

He should make the HOF.  He has the credentials, undoubtedly.  He won't be a first-ballot (Marvin should, IMO, have been first ballot), but he should make it in his 4th year or so of eligibility.  Edge should also get in within the next 3 years.

When Reggie retired he was 8th all time in receiving yards (since surpassed by Steve Smith and Larry Fitz, and currently sits at 10th all time).  Anquain Boldin is within a year or 2 and Brandon Marshall is probably 3 years away (if he lasts that long) from passing Reggie. 

When Reggie retired he was 7th in all time receptions (since surpassed by Larry Fitz, Jason Witten, and Boldin and currently sits at 10th).  Brandon Marshall is 129 receptions away -- so he'd have to have 2 fairly good seasons left to pass Reggie.  There is nobody else in the NFL that may move ahead of Reggie prior to him becoming eligible for the HOF.  My guess is when he becomes eligible he will be top 10 in two of the three main categories for WRs (receptions and receiving yards).

He is currently tied for 23rd in receiving TDs, with Boldin and Marshall being the others at that number.  So he's likely to be 25th of all time in that category when he's eligible.  Top 10, top 10, top 25 is pretty darn amazing.

Reggie is tied for 8th all time for receiving TDs in the post-season, he is second all-time in post-season receptions (I think Edelman may surpass him next year, if healthy), and 4th all-time in post-season receiving yards.  So when he's eligible for the HOF, he might be 4th, 3rd and and 8th or 9th all-time in the 3 big WR categories for the post-season.

Reggie has a ring.  Reggie produced after Peyton, and proved to be a true leader of men in Luck's rookie year (remember the GB game when they asked Arians after the game about Reggie's performance and he described it as 'Hall of Fame').  Reggie was never in trouble off the field, and he never did anything but show to be an exceptional teammate (two things killing TO right now).  

If Reggie doesn't make it to the HOF, it will be a darn shame.  If not cut short by injury, Reggie would have easily found himself in the top 5 for receptions and receiving yards -- regardless, he's still top 10 in both.  If Reggie's numbers are not HOF material, I don't know what is.

Totally agree. Well said. Reggie is as good or better than about half of the receivers that are in the hall IMO. 

51 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Totally agree. Well said. Reggie is as good or better than about half of the receivers that are in the hall IMO. 

The four things that may hurt Reggie from his actual career (i.e., I'm not talking about the fact his career was cut short, which is a reason why he isn't higher up on some of the all-time lists) are his slow start (he didn't really start producing until his 3rd and 4th seasons), the fact he played with Marv and Peyton, the fact that he wasn't a 'physical freak', and the year when Peyton was out and Luck wasn't here yet.  That year he had 960 yards (which to me, is impressive, given that he was working with a carousel of mediocre or worse QBs).... if he had 40 more, he would have had 9 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons (instead he has seven, 960 yards, and another 1,000 yard season). 

A large part of NFL HOF selection is consistency over duration of career.  I have always been told that roughly a decade of being a consistently top performer is kind of the rule of thumb.  I think 9 straight seasons over 1,000 yards fills that category -- to some voters, they may view Reggie's off year as negative or inconsistent based on the numbers (or they may actually dig into what he was dealing with and give him benefit of doubt). 

There will likely be some voters saying 'well he played with Marvin taking the pressure off him, and with Peyton's high powered Colts O'.  This may delay his time to get selected, as will the fact that in probably his 5th, 6th or 7th year of eligibility there will be a few becoming eligible who may have better credentials (e.g., Larry Fitz, and arguably Steve Smith and Anquain Boldin).  There are others (e.g., Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson) who were complete physical specimens during their playing days, but whose numbers don't match Reggie's.  Reggie never had a nickname, and there wasn't really anything flashy about him, he just showed up and did his job and (IMO) the numbers should speak for themselves.  However, in today's media-driven sports age, I can see that being a deterrent for voters (e.g., if Reggie isn't in when some of those other guys become eligible, people that don't follow the Colts specifically will probably remember 'Megatron' or Andre Johnson's fight against Cortland Finnigan, etc... Reggie has an impressive highlight reel, but for those that don't watch Colts specifically every weekend, it likely won't stick out to memory as much).

I am just going through some NFL WR history -- Tim Brown took 11 years to get in after retirement, Isaac Bruce still isn't in (Reggie surpassed him in receptions, but not yards -- but when he retired Bruce was top 10 in receptions), TO isn't in (because his off-field issues and teammate issues, IMO), etc....

Anyway, maybe it won't be 4-5 years after eligibilty that Reggie gets in, maybe it is going to be longer -- but he will get into the pro football HOF.  I kinda think the reason a guy like Andre Reed got in and Marvin didn't in his first year was because Andre was on the waiting list for so long.  I can see the same type of deal with Reggie, waiting a while then when someone comes along that should get in, but isn't flat out a better career performer than Reggie (i.e., Fitz), Reggie gets in.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Vinatieri has been a Colt longer than a Patriot.

It makes no difference as players brought into the HOF because they are not listed with a team. It is a career not what team they played on.

So? He won 3 SBs in dramatic fashion no less for the Patriots people will remember that more than how long he played for the Colts. Its naive to think otherwise.

You're right its a career not what team they played on but teams they were on will be listed on the bust of the HOFer. For Adam the Pats and Colts will be on his if he goes into HOF. However if you asked someone who wasn't a Pats or Colts fan most would say he's remembered mostly as a Patriot was my point. Reggie will be remembered mostly as a Colt since he played his career here and only a preseason game with the Pats.

9 hours ago, #12. said:

If Edge finishes his career with Colts and wins a ring, he probably makes it.

This^ EJ's in my top 2 all time Colts favorites list. Pretty sure he still hold the Yrds from scrimmage record he took from Jim Brown(could be wrong that his record still stands). Got to meet him like 3 times and it was always the same each time. He'd walk out of the RCA Dome via the player parking lot exit, and he always had a big smile. Was always in plain street clothes, nothing flashy at all(Limo non withstanding, because of fear of flying). He was usually with a couple of his buddies, no big entourage. Seemed really humble, and just loved playing ball. And he autographed items each time to boot! Great memories. 

57 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

He did try out for the patriots, but he was never a part the Patriots roster during the regular season, so in my book, he was never a Patriot.  :-)

Remember Reggie talking about the differences in the locker room also. He said he wasn't having "fun", and that the vibe with the Patriots was different. 

1 hour ago, CF4L said:

So? He won 3 SBs in dramatic fashion no less for the Patriots people will remember that more than how long he played for the Colts. Its naive to think otherwise.

You're right its a career not what team they played on but teams they were on will be listed on the bust of the HOFer. For Adam the Pats and Colts will be on his if he goes into HOF. However if you asked someone who wasn't a Pats or Colts fan most would say he's remembered mostly as a Patriot was my point. Reggie will be remembered mostly as a Colt since he played his career here and only a preseason game with the Pats.

There are no teams listed on a NFL HOF bust. I have seen those and there may be a side note about the player but there are nothing on the bust listing the teams played for or their name as far as that's concerned.

12 hours ago, rockywoj said:

He did try out for the patriots, but he was never a part the Patriots roster during the regular season, so in my book, he was never a Patriot.  :-)

That's how I look at it. I hate that he even thought about going to the Pats but I know he was doing what is best for him. 

On 3/5/2017 at 0:21 AM, Colts1324 said:

Players don't go into hall as members of teams but only as individuals.

That said, I'm pretty sure people arn't going to remember Reggie Wayne for his short stint in Patriots training camp before he retired.  

15 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

The four things that may hurt Reggie from his actual career (i.e., I'm not talking about the fact his career was cut short, which is a reason why he isn't higher up on some of the all-time lists) are his slow start (he didn't really start producing until his 3rd and 4th seasons), the fact he played with Marv and Peyton, the fact that he wasn't a 'physical freak', and the year when Peyton was out and Luck wasn't here yet.  That year he had 960 yards (which to me, is impressive, given that he was working with a carousel of mediocre or worse QBs).... if he had 40 more, he would have had 9 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons (instead he has seven, 960 yards, and another 1,000 yard season). 

A large part of NFL HOF selection is consistency over duration of career.  I have always been told that roughly a decade of being a consistently top performer is kind of the rule of thumb.  I think 9 straight seasons over 1,000 yards fills that category -- to some voters, they may view Reggie's off year as negative or inconsistent based on the numbers (or they may actually dig into what he was dealing with and give him benefit of doubt). 

There will likely be some voters saying 'well he played with Marvin taking the pressure off him, and with Peyton's high powered Colts O'.  This may delay his time to get selected, as will the fact that in probably his 5th, 6th or 7th year of eligibility there will be a few becoming eligible who may have better credentials (e.g., Larry Fitz, and arguably Steve Smith and Anquain Boldin).  There are others (e.g., Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson) who were complete physical specimens during their playing days, but whose numbers don't match Reggie's.  Reggie never had a nickname, and there wasn't really anything flashy about him, he just showed up and did his job and (IMO) the numbers should speak for themselves.  However, in today's media-driven sports age, I can see that being a deterrent for voters (e.g., if Reggie isn't in when some of those other guys become eligible, people that don't follow the Colts specifically will probably remember 'Megatron' or Andre Johnson's fight against Cortland Finnigan, etc... Reggie has an impressive highlight reel, but for those that don't watch Colts specifically every weekend, it likely won't stick out to memory as much).

I am just going through some NFL WR history -- Tim Brown took 11 years to get in after retirement, Isaac Bruce still isn't in (Reggie surpassed him in receptions, but not yards -- but when he retired Bruce was top 10 in receptions), TO isn't in (because his off-field issues and teammate issues, IMO), etc....

Anyway, maybe it won't be 4-5 years after eligibilty that Reggie gets in, maybe it is going to be longer -- but he will get into the pro football HOF.  I kinda think the reason a guy like Andre Reed got in and Marvin didn't in his first year was because Andre was on the waiting list for so long.  I can see the same type of deal with Reggie, waiting a while then when someone comes along that should get in, but isn't flat out a better career performer than Reggie (i.e., Fitz), Reggie gets in.

Good post.

I don't think he stands a chance in his first year of eligibility.   Possibly down the line if he doesn't end up dropping down the list by then. 

I still think it a shame that, rather than letting him go, thus resulting in his trying out for the Pats, that Grigson didn't give Reggie that one more year that Reggie wanted.   It is THIS that I am most bitter about with the Grigson regime.  I think Reggie was owed that final year, given how he took the home team discount and stayed with the Colts in 2012, when everybody just assumed that he was gone for a big money FA deal elsewhere.   The loyalty he showed to the Colts then, ought to have been rewarded with a 1-year deal, instead of releasing him and wasting dough on Andre Johnson.  

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

I still think it a shame that, rather than letting him go, thus resulting in his trying out for the Pats, that Grigson didn't give Reggie that one more year that Reggie wanted.   It is THIS that I am most bitter about with the Grigson regime.  I think Reggie was owed that final year, given how he took the home team discount and stayed with the Colts in 2012, when everybody just assumed that he was gone for a big money FA deal elsewhere.   The loyalty he showed to the Colts then, ought to have been rewarded with a 1-year deal, instead of releasing him and wasting dough on Andre Johnson.  

i hear this a lot, but it just didnt bother me

i think reggie was done, and we may have kept him a year too long

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Players don't go into hall as members of teams but only as individuals.

That said, I'm pretty sure people arn't going to remember Reggie Wayne for his short stint in Patriots training camp before he retired.  

Yeah thank you guys for pointing that out. Totally forgot about that. I remember reading about that when Dungy and Marvin were inducted. I know people that watch football know he didn't actually "play" for them. But it's hate the thought of ANY of our great players to each associated with the patriots, unless it's us taking away from them like Adam the GOAT! lol  

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Yeah I think Reggie would have been content with 15 snaps a game and would have been healthier through out the season; therefOre he would have made a bigger impact! 

47 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i hear this a lot, but it just didnt bother me

i think reggie was done, and we may have kept him a year too long

Even if he WAS done (which I don't think - I think he would have given us more than Johnson did), I say we owed it to him to sign him and let him show that he was done.

13 hours ago, Myles said:

Good post.

I don't think he stands a chance in his first year of eligibility.   Possibly down the line if he doesn't end up dropping down the list by then. 

He will get in... Andre Reed got in after waiting quite a while... he got in before Marv b/c he was basically 'Marv' of Buffalo (Polian's) triplets before Marv became the Polian Colts' triplet and shattered Reed's numbers.

Reggie has the credentials, and he retired top 10 all-time in 2 of 3 major categories and had great playoff numbers. 

He will get in.. just a matter of when.

Same with Edge.

8 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

He will get in... Andre Reed got in after waiting quite a while... he got in before Marv b/c he was basically 'Marv' of Buffalo (Polian's) triplets before Marv became the Polian Colts' triplet and shattered Reed's numbers.

Reggie has the credentials, and he retired top 10 all-time in 2 of 3 major categories and had great playoff numbers. 

He will get in.. just a matter of when.

Same with Edge.

I'm not as optimistic as you.   There have been allot of WR's who were considered great and had to wait a long time.    I also don't know how much the voters look at where there stats were when they retired vs where they are when they are being voted on.   I don't think there is a chance of him making it the first couple times.   Hopefully his numbers don't fall to the mid or upper teens by the time he really has a shot.  

On 3/7/2017 at 6:42 AM, Myles said:

I'm not as optimistic as you.   There have been allot of WR's who were considered great and had to wait a long time.    I also don't know how much the voters look at where there stats were when they retired vs where they are when they are being voted on.   I don't think there is a chance of him making it the first couple times.   Hopefully his numbers don't fall to the mid or upper teens by the time he really has a shot.  

I think it's mostly by where you were when you retired.. but with Andre Johnson retiring, there is a chance Anquan Boldin may pass him, Brandon Marshall would have to have 2 more 1,000+ yard seasons (not unlikely, but he definitely seemed to be slipping in production last year), and the only other active ones with a real shot in the next 7 years are Julio Jones and Demaryius Thomas.  This would mean Wayne will be on the ballot for at least 10 years as at the lowest 12th in receiving yards and Marshall is 2 years away from passing him in receptions, with Antonio Brown being likely at least 4 years out.  Demaryius needs at least 5 years (probably 6) and Julio needs likely at least 6.  This means, he'll be on the ballot as at the lowest 12th in receptions for about 8-9 years.  I doubt many of them will break his post-season numbers.  I doubt many will break his post-season records, though he will likely be out of the top 25 in receiving TDs after this year.

Randy Moss will get in before Reggie's even eligible, and there is a chance TO may as well.  Isaac Bruce should get in before him... and he'll have at least 2 years (probably more) of eligibility before Boldin, Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, and Steve Smith are eligible.  IMO, he's more deserving than Smith and Andre and it's arguable with Boldin.  Fitz will likely go in before him...  so it's likely he'll be a top 2-3 WR on the ballot for at least 8 years before guys like Julio Jones and Antonio Brown are even eligible.