Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Butler now Signed (Updated)(Mega Merge)

AKB

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for bringing back Butler. He was easily our best playmaker in the secondary. Maybe Green can shadow him and learn some of Butler's intangibles on reading the QB and reacting and baiting him into throws. With his speed Green could be all world if he had Butler's instincts. 

17 hours ago, camcolts2621 said:

He made half those plays with a club on his hand too, you could argue that Butler was better than Vontae last year.

Not even close.......there are many people who underestimate just how good Vontae Davis really is.......  Remember Davis gets the #1 receiver most of the time

9 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Not even close.......there are many people who underestimate just how good Vontae Davis really is.......  Remember Davis gets the #1 receiver most of the time

vontae was not special last year

arguably butler was better in the slot than he was outside

He missed 4 games last year and has only played 16 games in a season one time in his career. There is concerns because of his age and the injuries, but his overall versatility as a slot CB and S is valuable to this team. They should re-sign him to a two year deal. 

Yeah I don't think we have the depth to let him go. I just am wondering if retaining him will effect Adams. Do they want him primarily to focus on S? Or do they want to keep him as this hybrid player?

It'll be interesting to see if Ballard is 100% confident in letting Green take over at FS.

13 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Yeah I don't think we have the depth to let him go. I just am wondering if retaining him will effect Adams. Do they want him primarily to focus on S? Or do they want to keep him as this hybrid player?

It'll be interesting to see if Ballard is 100% confident in letting Green take over at FS.

Would you?

6 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Would you?

I'm not sure. I know that safeties can make leaps in an off season. However, I would not put all my chips on Green being the full time starter come week one. 

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Why in the heck would you NOT BRING HIM BACK??

He's a decent slot cb and can add depth at safety at a reasonable price.

I'm not saying not to, but Robinson should be the slot CB so unless they are getting rid of Robinson or moving Butler only one of them is needed

23 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

If we had to choose between Butler and Adams, give me Butler. Adams was not very good last year IMO. I think age finally got to him. Not that Adams was ever a speed demon, but I thought he looked a step slow most of last year.

3 hours ago, Jason_S said:

I really like the idea someone had in another thread of resigning butler and also bringing in Micah Hyde.  

So i guess Green would be benched? And who would get more snaps? Hyde or Butler.

9 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

So i guess Green would be benched? And who would get more snaps? Hyde or Butler.

most likely yes, Green gets benched. as for who would get more snaps...don't really care, but most likely Hyde.  I think in the base defense, the safeties would be Hyde and Geathers.  But having 2 guys like Butler and Hyde, who can play man or zone,  CB or Safety would allow for a lot of variations and disguise in terms of coverage in sub packages.

4 hours ago, Jason_S said:

most likely yes, Green gets benched. as for who would get more snaps...don't really care, but most likely Hyde.  I think in the base defense, the safeties would be Hyde and Geathers.  But having 2 guys like Butler and Hyde, who can play man or zone,  CB or Safety would allow for a lot of variations and disguise in terms of coverage in sub packages.

I actually really like the sign of that. Would give Green another season to work on his fundamentals as well.

Gives our secondary whispering coach time to shine. 

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:13 PM, NannyMcafee said:

You can't let every guy on defense go just because of age or injury. We do need players to compete. It's gonna take a couple years to have a solid defense depth and all. 

While I have no problem if they bring Butler back but age and injury are normally the very things that causes teams to let go of guys. 

12 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

While I have no problem if they bring Butler back but age and injury are normally the very things that causes teams to let go of guys. 

I can agree, although butler hasn't been as injured as say art jones or bob sanders. My point is we need to take cutting our current personnel slowly. We cant be in a hurry to get rid of everyone like I'm seeing on here. 

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I can agree, although butler hasn't been as injured as say art jones or bob sanders. My point is we need to take cutting our current personnel slowly. We cant be in a hurry to get rid of everyone like I'm seeing on here. 

Well in this case they aren't talking about cutting him.  It's about if they want to give him a new contract.  Frankly I think of all the Colts free agents Butler has the best chance to be brought back as he's likely not going to demand a big contract and fills two holes that the team needs to badly fill.  Still there is a new GM and new GMs do like to bring in their own guys.  

If Butler was under contract I don't think anyone would be talking about cutting him.

His exposure to the run as a free safety is lower than as a slot CB, so durability concerns can be addressed by moving him to free safety permanently, IMO. 

Move Patrick Robinson to the slot or get someone else for the slot through this CB deep draft, get Bouye for the #2 CB and our secondary instantly becomes better, though not better enough to cover wide outs for 5-6 seconds without a pass rush.

I really like Butler and thought he played exceptionally well in the small sample size at FS last season. He's not the slot corner he was, but I think he'd be the perfect guy to keep around as a FS. Being healthy and starting full-time at safety would probably help him be even better. You need solid locker room guys that know your system and have shown the ability to play well in it. To me, it's a no-brainer.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, Coltfreak said:

Davis wasn't his self last year and wasn't very good I know a lot of that was due to injury. But if we just get a pass rush then the Defensive backfield will take care of itself.