Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to host training camp at their own practice facility

MTC

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I wonder if this has any relation to the Hard Knocks speculation?

Yes...very intriguing....definitely not something that would make the fans happy unless its because of the cameras etc. Count down begins.....

23 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

That really sucks.  I went to camp 2 years ago and had a great time.  Thought about going last year but it just wasn't going to work out.  

Doesn't every other team have public training camp?

Having lived outside of Indiana for almost 20 years now, I've never been to a Colts training camp, but I've never really been compelled to go either. Is it really that fun?

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Having lived outside of Indiana for almost 20 years now, I've never been to a Colts training camp, but I've never really been compelled to go either. Is it really that fun?

If I had little kids this would be something I'd be interested in. For now I'm not compelled to go as an adult to watch a football practice.

Just now, bababooey said:

If I had little kids this would be something I'd be interested in. For now I'm not compelled to go as an adult to watch a football practice.

I suppose I get that, for autographs and such, it is a cool experience for kids. I guess I'm just content to get my updates via Twitter and the forum in my air-conditioning as opposed to watching 7-on-7 drills in 90 degree heat haha.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I suppose I get that, for autographs and such, it is a cool experience for kids. I guess I'm just content to get my updates via Twitter and the forum in my air-conditioning as opposed to watching 7-on-7 drills in 90 degree heat haha.

Same here! My cousin brought his son to Bengals practice and got Carson Palmer's autograph years ago. I think the main reason to go as an adult with no kids is if you live nowhere near the stadium, like Jets fans in Cortland, NY which is just under 3.5 hours without traffic from Metlife. I'd much rather just catch up online as well lol

12 minutes ago, bababooey said:

When I lived in Cincy, my Bengal buddies would go every year, but that was mostly just because the Reds were terrible, and they were jonesing for football so bad.

40 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

When I lived in Cincy, my Bengal buddies would go every year, but that was mostly just because the Reds were terrible, and they were jonesing for football so bad.

I bet. I was so mad when the Pats won that I said I was going to give up sports and then of course I'm watching hockey and now baseball and still commenting on here and by next month I'll really miss football.

I still haven't gone to a Bengals game yet (just Reds), but I'll be looking to go in the next couple years when my cousin's kids are old enough (heard the language/behavior from the fans is horrible, unlike the great fans in Indy). Aside from this year because of our wedding we are going to make a Colts home game an annual tradition. Now that the NHL will be expanding to Las Vegas that will be at the top of the list, though.

It might work out better for the team but for some it sucks.

I was a pretty regular at camp with taking my grandsons at least a couple times a year.

It was a very good day spent with my grandsons without costing a lot of money. (Just a reasonable parking fee)

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

I bet. I was so mad when the Pats won that I said I was going to give up sports and then of course I'm watching hockey and now baseball and still commenting on here and by next month I'll really miss football.

I still haven't gone to a Bengals game yet (just Reds), but I'll be looking to go in the next couple years when my cousin's kids are old enough (heard the language/behavior from the fans is horrible, unlike the great fans in Indy). Aside from this year because of our wedding we are going to make a Colts home game an annual tradition. Now that the NHL will be expanding to Las Vegas that will be at the top of the list, though.

Colts play there this year, and I have a bunch of friends that are Bengals fans, so I'll definitely fly back for that one. I'll always go when the Colts are there, too much fun. I like the "rough around the edges" feel to Bengals games, I've been to several, and I've had fun every time. Saw the Pats there for MNF during their 16-0 season, saw Brett Favre get tackled by a fan (video below, hilarious), saw Peyton carve them up in a shootout for the ages in '05... tons of fun memories at PBS.

Well that definetly does suck. I really enjoyed going and I'd made the 2 hour drive atleast once a year too watch it. I was really hoping they would switch to DePauw so it would be wayyy closer too me haha but I'm sure it will just be held at LOS on the public one. @Steamboat_Shaun depends on what you like to do. I went too see how the rookies and udfa and FA would look, I've never been one for autographs so I never went for that. I reckon I also enjoyed going to the combine last year so for me yea it's fun but I can easily see how it could be boring. P.s I kinda miss bubbles from TPB being your avatar haha 

18 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Me too, I'm in Ft Wayne and have never had the need to go. But I don't care about all that autographs and stuff. Just want to watch the games

On 3/3/2017 at 4:12 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

No.  The scrimmages aren't bad though.

On 3/3/2017 at 4:12 PM, Steamboat_Shaun said:

For the price of the parking fee you get a pretty up close view of the players.  

I think they might have moved the public back but at one point 2 years ago Gore was working out like 10 feet from me.  Don't get me wrong it's probably not as exciting as a game.  But the price is extremely small and you get to see your favorite players practicing pretty close.  

I mean I have a few photos and the majority of them have no zoom on them.  Didn't get one of the Gore workout but got one after he was jogging away.

No automatic alt text available.

The above 2 photos are taken without any zoom.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

For the price of the parking fee you get a pretty up close view of the players.  

I think they might have moved the public back but at one point 2 years ago Gore was working out like 10 feet from me.  Don't get me wrong it's probably not as exciting as a game.  But the price is extremely small and you get to see your favorite players practicing pretty close.  

I mean I have a few photos and the majority of them have no zoom on them.  Didn't get one of the Gore workout but got one after he was jogging away.

The above 2 photos are taken without any zoom.  

Very cool, I'd guess after a year or 2, they'll make the practices public again. I feel like Ballard just wants his first class of rookies and FAs to practice out of the public eye without any distractions. In all honesty, for how many fans don't want the Colts to be featured on Hard Knocks, I'm surprised by how many people were upset about the decision to move practice to a private facility.

8 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Very cool, I'd guess after a year or 2, they'll make the practices public again. I feel like Ballard just wants his first class of rookies and FAs to practice out of the public eye without any distractions. In all honesty, for how many fans don't want the Colts to be featured on Hard Knocks, I'm surprised by how many people were upset about the decision to move practice to a private facility.

I think it's pretty much an expectation of NFL teams to have public training camps.  Plus it's something a lot of people have been going to for years.  

I don't think the public practices are all that much of a distraction.  The distraction I think would be more of having cameras in the meeting rooms, cameras in the weight rooms, cameras following people on their day off, people interviewing people etc.  I mean when players go to meet the coach and get cut, they have cameras in there even.  

With TC all it is is they do some of their practices (about 10 or so) in front of a small crowd.  

40 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

Been going once a year with my dad for awhile now, he will not go to games so it was kinda our one chance a year to see the team together, always had a great time, even last year when it was crazy hot...really bummed about this

"A few" will still be public. I'm guessing that's probably like 3 or 4 total, so it's still an option, just not as many as year's past.