ColtsBlueFL

Jaylon Smith won't ever recover to 100%

Recommended Posts

The Cowboys gambled on him.  Smith missed all of his rookie season, and now appears he will become the first player ever to compete in the NFL in an AFO  for drop foot.  His nerve has not regenerated and is not firing.  It is highly unlikely to ever recover at this point.  So Smith will have to use his athleticism to play, overcoming the limitations of his (what appears to be) permanent nerve injury. He may do well, but he will never be the Jaylon Smith he was projected to be in the NFL, unfortunately.  Best of luck to him regardless.

 

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/nerve-damage-jaylon-smith-knee-not-improving/354003

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The Cowboys gambled on him.  Smith missed all of his rookie season, and now appears he will become the first player ever to compete in the NFL in an AFO  for drop foot.  His nerve has not regenerated and is not firing.  It is highly unlikely to ever recover at this point.  So Smith will have to use his athleticism to play, overcoming the limitations of his (what appears to be) permanent nerve injury. He may do well, but he will never be the Jaylon Smith he was projected to be in the NFL, unfortunately.  Best of luck to him regardless.

 

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/nerve-damage-jaylon-smith-knee-not-improving/354003

 

 

That's really unfortunate, I liked this kid a lot, and even though we didn't take him, I wanted to see how great he could become. Hopefully it won't affect his life after football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is almost the best case scenario......after this injury..I would say...

He will play and he got a nice contract....about 6 mil guaranteed

 

I think this is actually a positive outcome so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

This is almost the best case scenario......after this injury..I would say...

He will play and he got a nice contract....about 6 mil guaranteed

 

I think this is actually a positive outcome so far

 

Perspective.  Because of injury and type, it is best case, and he receives similar money to Myles Jack, another that slid with injury.  Smith also received 850k from insurance.  But Smith was easily projected to be in Jalen Ramsey territory, (top 5 draft or better) and could have received 23 million + guaranteed or more without injury. But for Jack and Smith, it is what it is and hopefully both can play well enough and long enough.  But I'd save heavily if I was either of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Perspective.  Because of injury and type, it is best case, and he receives similar money to Myles Jack, another that slid with injury.  Smith also received 850k from insurance.  But Smith was easily projected to be in Jalen Ramsey territory, (top 5 draft or better) and could have received 23 million + guaranteed or more without injury. But for Jack and Smith, it is what it is and hopefully both can play well enough and long enough.  But I'd save heavily if I was either of them.

I'm just thinking post-injury....

He got $6 mil on a  4-year deal...whether he ever plays a down.

 

23 mil is more than 6.......no argument there

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm just thinking post-injury....

He got $6 mil on a  4-year deal...whether he ever plays a down.

 

23 mil is more than 6.......no argument there

 

hope he invests wisely. sucks for the guy though

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I'm just thinking post-injury....

He got $6 mil on a  4-year deal...whether he ever plays a down.

 

23 mil is more than 6.......no argument there

 

 

 

4.4 guaranteed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dw49 said:

 

 

4.4 guaranteed

He already was paid for 2016, dw... as of this week,  750,000 for year 2

....The point is He'll get the $6 mil....he doesn't lose everything because of the injury.

 

He just wont get the 23 mil CBF was talking about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He already was paid for 2016, dw... as of this week,  750,000 for year 2

....The point is He'll get the $6 mil....he doesn't lose everything because of the injury.

 

He just wont get the 23 mil CBF was talking about

 

 

I was thinking if he was just cut say after this year . The final 1/2 years of his contract aren't guaranteed . But are you saying if injury related he would be paid this (6 mill)according to how his contract is written ? I don't think so.

 

The money he's been paid is part of the 4.6 guaranteed. The guaranteed money is the 2.93 mill signing bonus, plus base salaries years 2016-2017 (450K +750K) plus 404K of year of 2018. So if cut right now the way I see it he would collect in total 4.6 mill. That would be 2.93 signing base salaries 450K , 750K and 404K of 2018.  Still not bad and add in the insurance money.

 

16 $450,000 $450,000 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $1,180,904      
2017 $745,226 $745,226 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $1,476,130   $3,342,778 ($1,866,648)
2018 $1,040,452 $404,840 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $1,771,356   $1,866,648 ($95,292)
2019 $1,335,678 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $2,066,582   $730,904

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

 

I was thinking if he was just cut say after this year . The final 1/2 years of his contract aren't guaranteed . But are you saying if injury related he would be paid this (6 mill)according to how his contract is written ? I don't think so.

 

The money he's been paid is part of the 4.6 guaranteed. The guaranteed money is the 2.93 mill signing bonus, plus base salaries years 2016-2017 (450K +750K) plus 404K of year of 2018. So if cut right now the way I see it he would collect in total 4.6 mill. That would be 2.93 signing base salaries 450K , 750K and 404K of 2018.  Still not bad and add in the insurance money.

 

16 $450,000 $450,000 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $1,180,904      
2017 $745,226 $745,226 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $1,476,130   $3,342,778 ($1,866,648)
2018 $1,040,452 $404,840 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $1,771,356   $1,866,648 ($95,292)
2019 $1,335,678 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $2,066,582   $730,904

I agree......I'm thinking that he isn't incapable of playing. He wont be cut this fall. He actually WILL play.

He just wont ever be what he was.  He wont be cut for 2018 if he plays this year since the doctors say he wont even be fully recovered until 2018...  It was 1 1/2 or 2-year rehab...

But....you're right... if he cant even be a backup....he might get cut for 2019 to save that $1.3...

That 1.335,678 is NOT guaranteed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Just compensate college players already.

Wouldn't affect this situation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, oldunclemark said:

Wouldn't affect this situation...

Of course it would. He was injured in college. It undoubtedly changed the course of his life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Of course it would. He was injured in college. It undoubtedly changed the course of his life.

Not what we're talking about.

whether or not he got paid in college isn't a factor ...

.....its difference between the $6.4 he could make and the 23 mil that CBF projected he would have made..in his first 4 years...which wouldn't change the course of his life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree......I'm thinking that he isn't incapable of playing. He wont be cut this fall. He actually WILL play.

He just wont ever be what he was.  He wont be cut for 2018 if he plays this year since the doctors say he wont even be fully recovered until 2018...  It was 1 1/2 or 2-year rehab...

But....you're right... if he cant even be a backup....he might get cut for 2019 to save that $1.3...

That 1.335,678 is NOT guaranteed

 

 

Yeah but the real point is if he's half way smart , he should be financially set if he doesn't recover well enough to ba an NFL player.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

Just compensate college players already.

 

 

It's a LOT more complicated than that.......

 

Way, way more complicated.....

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate that. He could have been the best ILB in the NFL. If I'm him I'm going for it and playing until my leg rots off though. Until I literally couldn't walk. Hope he overcomes the odds and still makes a full recovery though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And different situation, but some wonder why a kid decides to sit out a meaningless bowl game. Cause to be.....Unless its for all the marbles. The 4 team playoff, those games are meaningless. It's like winning the NIT in Basketball. Who the ___ Cares???? I hope all the top talents quit playing in the meaningless bowls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

 

It's a LOT more complicated than that.......

 

Way, way more complicated.....

 

It's a lot easier if you just look at this as the handful of big super schools that have all the money and ignore all the smaller schools that don't and assume because the top schools have enough to pay kids, all schools should pay kids.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope he tries adult stem cells directly injected at the nerve. It is amazing what they can do. I hope he fully recovers. He has the God given talent to be one of the best...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2017 at 9:52 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

It's a lot easier if you just look at this as the handful of big super schools that have all the money and ignore all the smaller schools that don't and assume because the top schools have enough to pay kids, all schools should pay kids.

 

Who cares about those schools lol? If they can't pay then they wouldn't get the good players. I don't see the problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:11 AM, COLTS449 said:

And different situation, but some wonder why a kid decides to sit out a meaningless bowl game. Cause to be.....Unless its for all the marbles. The 4 team playoff, those games are meaningless. It's like winning the NIT in Basketball. Who the ___ Cares???? I hope all the top talents quit playing in the meaningless bowls.

I wonder how things would be differently looked upon if the kids went to college and had to pay for it versus getting a scholarship and fully paid school degree? I would like to see something more done for these kids going to school and playing sports that bring in this big money but you are also getting a free education as well and if you don't make the NFL (more likely not to make the NFL) you have no debt coming out with that degree, that is worth a lot if you choose a wise career. If I were the schools, I would be putting in a clause that says if you don't play in the bowl games, not due to a real injury, you must pay back your scholarship money for all the college years.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

It's a lot easier if you just look at this as the handful of big super schools that have all the money and ignore all the smaller schools that don't and assume because the top schools have enough to pay kids, all schools should pay kids.

A voice of reason. You have to have a somewhat level playing field and a kid attending Florida state can get paid because the school has money but a kid going to middle central Florida tech School (don't know if it exists or not) can't get paid because that school just gets by enough to stay afloat most likely. If you start paying the kids for school sports, you may as well just have a spin off business from the NFL that has kids leave highschool and treat it like a trade school experience. You learn football to be a pro but you sure aren't guaranteed a job after graduation.  Maybe the NFL trade school can develop this talent and kids don't have to attend a real college and fake trying to learn communications or marketing class while really only being smart enough to play a sport. IDK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I like the assessment. I would personally include Mingo in pleasant surprises, the guy is all around the ball all the time, he is rejuvinated it seems with us after lackluster play in Cleveland and NE. I also would include Mack in pleasant surprises as i believe we have only seen glimpses of the REAL Mack attack yet due to the coaches not playing him, i understand we have a proven veteran RB on the team, after this season when Gore leaves im fully confident Mack will assume the number 1 role and become a top 5 running back in the league. Then lastly i would put the Oline in dissapointments, as you stated nobody expected them to blow anyone away but i personally dont think anyone expected them to be as bad as the have been either.
    • Geathers was having a great season last year under monachino before his neck injury I think he will be fine he needs to play more man to man.
    •   ^^^ ban this user!! ^^^
    • It was the only show I watched or listened to on ESPN. Now that they are no longer a team I will have no need to tune into ESPN at all.
    • I think you have done a very nice assessment of our teams progress and where we are right now.  Most of the teams improvement has come on the defensive side of the ball coming from additions and improvement from our young players.  The loss of Luck for the year and the hurried assimilation of Brissett to the lineup certainly has not helped the offense meet our preseason expectations.  I read where Doyle was second in the league in receptions among TE's before the Pittsburgh game.  A stat that blew me away actually.  Who knows what a healthy Luck and a better OL  would have done for Moncrief and the rest of the WR's.   I think you have to congratulate the coaches for this progress and continued improvement that we have seen from this team.  They have gotten better and that's what we are looking for.  It might be a lost season record wise but if you are looking at player and overall team development you have to be pleased with the great progress they have made this year.  No one is happy with the record but you can not ignore the overall improvements that have been achieved.  Everyone is looking forward to new coaches next year but this years staff has done some pretty impressive work teaching and improving the overall contributions of our players.  
  • Members

    • ar7

      ar7 235

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 100GFB

      100GFB 741

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Redbull

      Redbull 4

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • gspdx

      gspdx 103

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • richard pallo

      richard pallo 669

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DrColtsFan

      DrColtsFan 49

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ricker182

      ricker182 857

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 13,431

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Douzer

      Douzer 596

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Sumo63

      Sumo63 34

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active: