Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jaylon Smith won't ever recover to 100%

ColtsBlueFL

The Cowboys gambled on him.  Smith missed all of his rookie season, and now appears he will become the first player ever to compete in the NFL in an AFO  for drop foot.  His nerve has not regenerated and is not firing.  It is highly unlikely to ever recover at this point.  So Smith will have to use his athleticism to play, overcoming the limitations of his (what appears to be) permanent nerve injury. He may do well, but he will never be the Jaylon Smith he was projected to be in the NFL, unfortunately.  Best of luck to him regardless.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/nerve-damage-jaylon-smith-knee-not-improving/354003

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The Cowboys gambled on him.  Smith missed all of his rookie season, and now appears he will become the first player ever to compete in the NFL in an AFO  for drop foot.  His nerve has not regenerated and is not firing.  It is highly unlikely to ever recover at this point.  So Smith will have to use his athleticism to play, overcoming the limitations of his (what appears to be) permanent nerve injury. He may do well, but he will never be the Jaylon Smith he was projected to be in the NFL, unfortunately.  Best of luck to him regardless.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/nerve-damage-jaylon-smith-knee-not-improving/354003

That's really unfortunate, I liked this kid a lot, and even though we didn't take him, I wanted to see how great he could become. Hopefully it won't affect his life after football.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

This is almost the best case scenario......after this injury..I would say...

He will play and he got a nice contract....about 6 mil guaranteed

I think this is actually a positive outcome so far

Perspective.  Because of injury and type, it is best case, and he receives similar money to Myles Jack, another that slid with injury.  Smith also received 850k from insurance.  But Smith was easily projected to be in Jalen Ramsey territory, (top 5 draft or better) and could have received 23 million + guaranteed or more without injury. But for Jack and Smith, it is what it is and hopefully both can play well enough and long enough.  But I'd save heavily if I was either of them.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Perspective.  Because of injury and type, it is best case, and he receives similar money to Myles Jack, another that slid with injury.  Smith also received 850k from insurance.  But Smith was easily projected to be in Jalen Ramsey territory, (top 5 draft or better) and could have received 23 million + guaranteed or more without injury. But for Jack and Smith, it is what it is and hopefully both can play well enough and long enough.  But I'd save heavily if I was either of them.

I'm just thinking post-injury....

He got $6 mil on a  4-year deal...whether he ever plays a down.

23 mil is more than 6.......no argument there

18 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

hope he invests wisely. sucks for the guy though

21 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

4.4 guaranteed

19 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He already was paid for 2016, dw... as of this week,  750,000 for year 2

....The point is He'll get the $6 mil....he doesn't lose everything because of the injury.

He just wont get the 23 mil CBF was talking about

I was thinking if he was just cut say after this year . The final 1/2 years of his contract aren't guaranteed . But are you saying if injury related he would be paid this (6 mill)according to how his contract is written ? I don't think so.

The money he's been paid is part of the 4.6 guaranteed. The guaranteed money is the 2.93 mill signing bonus, plus base salaries years 2016-2017 (450K +750K) plus 404K of year of 2018. So if cut right now the way I see it he would collect in total 4.6 mill. That would be 2.93 signing base salaries 450K , 750K and 404K of 2018.  Still not bad and add in the insurance money.

16 $450,000 $450,000 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $1,180,904      
2017 $745,226 $745,226 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $1,476,130   $3,342,778 ($1,866,648)
2018 $1,040,452 $404,840 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $1,771,356   $1,866,648 ($95,292)
2019 $1,335,678 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $2,066,582   $730,904

7 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I was thinking if he was just cut say after this year . The final 1/2 years of his contract aren't guaranteed . But are you saying if injury related he would be paid this (6 mill)according to how his contract is written ? I don't think so.

The money he's been paid is part of the 4.6 guaranteed. The guaranteed money is the 2.93 mill signing bonus, plus base salaries years 2016-2017 (450K +750K) plus 404K of year of 2018. So if cut right now the way I see it he would collect in total 4.6 mill. That would be 2.93 signing base salaries 450K , 750K and 404K of 2018.  Still not bad and add in the insurance money.

16 $450,000 $450,000 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $1,180,904      
2017 $745,226 $745,226 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $1,476,130   $3,342,778 ($1,866,648)
2018 $1,040,452 $404,840 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $1,771,356   $1,866,648 ($95,292)
2019 $1,335,678 $730,904 $0 $0 $0 $2,066,582   $730,904

I agree......I'm thinking that he isn't incapable of playing. He wont be cut this fall. He actually WILL play.

He just wont ever be what he was.  He wont be cut for 2018 if he plays this year since the doctors say he wont even be fully recovered until 2018...  It was 1 1/2 or 2-year rehab...

But....you're right... if he cant even be a backup....he might get cut for 2019 to save that $1.3...

That 1.335,678 is NOT guaranteed

21 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Of course it would. He was injured in college. It undoubtedly changed the course of his life.

Not what we're talking about.

whether or not he got paid in college isn't a factor ...

.....its difference between the $6.4 he could make and the 23 mil that CBF projected he would have made..in his first 4 years...which wouldn't change the course of his life

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I agree......I'm thinking that he isn't incapable of playing. He wont be cut this fall. He actually WILL play.

He just wont ever be what he was.  He wont be cut for 2018 if he plays this year since the doctors say he wont even be fully recovered until 2018...  It was 1 1/2 or 2-year rehab...

But....you're right... if he cant even be a backup....he might get cut for 2019 to save that $1.3...

That 1.335,678 is NOT guaranteed

Yeah but the real point is if he's half way smart , he should be financially set if he doesn't recover well enough to ba an NFL player.

I hate that. He could have been the best ILB in the NFL. If I'm him I'm going for it and playing until my leg rots off though. Until I literally couldn't walk. Hope he overcomes the odds and still makes a full recovery though.

And different situation, but some wonder why a kid decides to sit out a meaningless bowl game. Cause to be.....Unless its for all the marbles. The 4 team playoff, those games are meaningless. It's like winning the NIT in Basketball. Who the ___ Cares???? I hope all the top talents quit playing in the meaningless bowls.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It's a LOT more complicated than that.......

Way, way more complicated.....

It's a lot easier if you just look at this as the handful of big super schools that have all the money and ignore all the smaller schools that don't and assume because the top schools have enough to pay kids, all schools should pay kids.

On 3/6/2017 at 9:52 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

It's a lot easier if you just look at this as the handful of big super schools that have all the money and ignore all the smaller schools that don't and assume because the top schools have enough to pay kids, all schools should pay kids.

Who cares about those schools lol? If they can't pay then they wouldn't get the good players. I don't see the problem.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:11 AM, COLTS449 said:

And different situation, but some wonder why a kid decides to sit out a meaningless bowl game. Cause to be.....Unless its for all the marbles. The 4 team playoff, those games are meaningless. It's like winning the NIT in Basketball. Who the ___ Cares???? I hope all the top talents quit playing in the meaningless bowls.

I wonder how things would be differently looked upon if the kids went to college and had to pay for it versus getting a scholarship and fully paid school degree? I would like to see something more done for these kids going to school and playing sports that bring in this big money but you are also getting a free education as well and if you don't make the NFL (more likely not to make the NFL) you have no debt coming out with that degree, that is worth a lot if you choose a wise career. If I were the schools, I would be putting in a clause that says if you don't play in the bowl games, not due to a real injury, you must pay back your scholarship money for all the college years.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:52 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

A voice of reason. You have to have a somewhat level playing field and a kid attending Florida state can get paid because the school has money but a kid going to middle central Florida tech School (don't know if it exists or not) can't get paid because that school just gets by enough to stay afloat most likely. If you start paying the kids for school sports, you may as well just have a spin off business from the NFL that has kids leave highschool and treat it like a trade school experience. You learn football to be a pro but you sure aren't guaranteed a job after graduation.  Maybe the NFL trade school can develop this talent and kids don't have to attend a real college and fake trying to learn communications or marketing class while really only being smart enough to play a sport. IDK