Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would your reaction be if the Colts went OL with their 1st Rd pick

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am like most where it would not be my first choice, but it would affirm my belief that Ballard was serious when he said the trenches will be fixed first. For as long as I have been watching the Colts, that is what I have wished for, a physicality on both sides of the line. If Ballard can bring this to us on both sides, great. I think the OL is in much better shape, and a RG during FA would make the pick to me a bit of a luxury, but as many have said here, it may be they are worried about Clark. Ramsyck is one of the few I would take in the first round, and I know Denver would be bummed if we took him. Regardless, it say more about philosophy than anything else, so I am going to stay away from who the player is this year and focus more on where that player is going to play. If Ballard is sticking to his philosophy during his first meet and greet, I will be happy!

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Barnett doesn't have elite burst I agree, but I think he has pretty good bend. He is definitely one to watch at the combine. 

And i know, I know you're not a big fan of him. But one day superman... you just might be :D

I don't dislike Jones. If we got him in the 2nd round, that would be awesome. 

I would genuinely be a bit upset for the reason that this is a very deep defensive draft. Cam Robinson has tons of issues and he shouldn't be draftable at our pick. Forrest Lamp is taking pills to make his arms longer, which is weird. Garrett Bolles would also be too early IMO. Wouldn't mind trading down and getting a 2nd and taking one of these guys, but this is a draft where reaching for an OL guy, whether he's good or not is just wrong, IMO. We'd be giving up value, and give up great value on a defensive player at BPA. With us going so strong on OL last year (even though it was Grigson), and there being top tier G's in FA (our weakness on the line), I would be very disappointed if OL was our first pick.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2017-nfl-combine-linemen-grow-rbs-weigh-in-and-more-wednesday-takeaways/

Sorry I took so long, thought it was on bleacher report. Click on this link, it'll say Forrest Lamp took arm growing pills last month.

No worries, thanks for the link. I don't think there is such a thing as pills that make your arms longer, I think what they mean is that his arms were mis-measured the first time so it is as if he had magic pills to grow his arms.  32 1/4 is perfectly fine for a guard.

Just now, Track Guy said:

No worries, thanks for the link. I don't think there is such a thing as pills that make your arms longer, I think what they mean is that his arms were mis-measured the first time so it is as if he had magic pills to grow his arms.  32 1/4 is perfectly fine for a guard.

LOL, maybe I misread it! Well, if that's the case, then it's definitely a good thing to help out his draft position. We'll have to see how he does in the combine and on his pro day.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

LOL, maybe I misread it! Well, if that's the case, then it's definitely a good thing to help out his draft position. We'll have to see how he does in the combine and on his pro day.

Apparently he's off to a good start, he hit 34 reps on the bench press. I'll be curious to see his short shuttle time. 

Just now, Track Guy said:

Apparently he's off to a good start, he hit 34 reps on the bench press. I'll be curious to see his short shuttle time. 

Absolutely. Still bearish on taking him at 14 or 15, but I'm going to keep an eye on him, with Ballard wanting to fix the trenches, first and foremost.

6 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yuup i see some mind boggling stuff almost on the daily. Maybe I'm just on the forum too much..

The write ups done on the edge rushers have become a forum favorite. They are always good for a laugh or two. 

There's not an OL player worth taking at 14/15 overall in my opinion so I'd be very dissapointed. Plus if this team needs anything on OL it's an established veteran at RG. There's already so much youth on the OL so a good veteran would be a nice addition. 

16 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Well I just pray we finally get a 1st rounder on defense. It's getting pretty crazy honestly how much we've ignored defense. 

We have two 1st rounders on the o-line already. And just picked Clark last year. 

Well I hope our first rounder for the defense is more the Luck variety and less Dorsett

I'd be pretty neutral.  Thing is I think we might have some of the OL answers in house already.  So a premium pick seems like it could be a waste.  Especially when we have so many needs on defense to be filled.  

But we don't know for certain and there is no way I can be sad about solidifying the OL.  

So I wouldn't be as mad as I was about the Dorsette pick.  But I will be thinking we could have done better with the pick by getting a defensive player.  

For the sake of discussion, I've been seeing some mocks where the Colts got either Cam Robinson or Ryan from Wisconsin.

I personally don't think they need a RT with the potential of Clark etc.

But I was wondering what the reaction would be if the Colts did go this route, especially with what Ballard saying that if everything was equal he'd go with the trenches.

I think theres a big misconception going on the colts oline. The fact was that grigson kept changing the starting oline every game. The oline needs to play their respective positions every week unless there is an injury.

We might need to plug in a position or two bit our biggest concern is pass rush, lb, and a cb opposite of vontae.

Sent from my SM-G935T *

I think... IF we were going to go OL in the draft, unfortunately, 1st round seems to be the only way to go this year. I wouldn't hate it, but I'd much rather get a vet FA that can plug in and be a star NOW.

The oline clicked this year a couple of times. But the d rarely got to the quarterback this season. Colts need talent at pass rush asap. Cant be waiting for a possible diamond in the rough in the later rounds.

Sent from my SM-G935T *

On 3/2/2017 at 11:55 AM, Gigc said:

I would think. Gee, Andrew Luck, the franchise, missed nine games in 2015, and his RIGHT arm is still in a sling this offseason after having surgery. 

I would think, "if I'm the GM and I broke Andrew Luck, I should never get another job in the NFL again."

Protect your king. Basic chess

i concur

On 3/2/2017 at 11:55 AM, Gigc said:

I would think. Gee, Andrew Luck, the franchise, missed nine games in 2015, and his RIGHT arm is still in a sling this offseason after having surgery. 

I would think, "if I'm the GM and I broke Andrew Luck, I should never get another job in the NFL again."

Protect your king. Basic chess

i concur

On 3/2/2017 at 10:14 AM, PeterBowman said:

For the sake of discussion, I've been seeing some mocks where the Colts got either Cam Robinson or Ryan from Wisconsin.

I personally don't think they need a RT with the potential of Clark etc.

But I was wondering what the reaction would be if the Colts did go this route, especially with what Ballard saying that if everything was equal he'd go with the trenches.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bears/story/1758935-bears-2017-combine-watch-ol

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2017 at 3:39 PM, Superman said:

I have issues with Cunningham's tackling, and he's statuesque and grabby in coverage. He has the physical ability to be good in coverage, but it's going to take some time; that's fine, but I don't think he's a top 20 player. I would rather trade down than draft him at 14/15. If I could go down to the high 20s and take Taco, Cunningham, McKinley, Barnett, Harris, etc., I'd be happy.

Dude how wrong could I be on Hooker???  I'm so glad to be wrong :-)