Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would your reaction be if the Colts went OL with their 1st Rd pick

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Stick to your board. I'm okay with an OL in the first. It's not what I hope happens, but I would understand it. I've been looking at mocks and big boards over the last few days, and I'm not really excited about the defensive guys who will be there at 14/15 -- Barnett, McKinley, some corners, McDowell, Cunningham, etc., not really feeling the value in the first, and I think some of the guys who will be there in the mid 40s are close to those guys. 

It would be my preference to trade down if the board said OL was the best pick in the first. Maximize value.

At this point, if Reuben Foster or Jamal Adams doesn't drop to us, I'm not really thrilled with the defensive prospects at 14/15.

That's kind of wild. What about Takk, Barnett, Thomas, Tabor, Jones, Williams, Charlton, Wilson? Edit. Or I guess I should say, how don't you value those for our pick?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd said previously some months ago that the selection of a lineman at 14 or 15 would be unfavorable to most here, but that's one pick that most of the forum would get over the quickest because we all understand the issue of protecting #12.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'd said previously some months ago that the selection of a lineman at 14 or 15 would be unfavorable to most here, but that's one pick that most of the forum would get over the quickest because we all understand the issue of protecting #12.

Yeah, I kind of kid about Bolles, because he's my favourite prospect in this year's draft. In reality I don't think the value is there at 14/15, but I can ultimately live with it.

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I kind of kid about Bolles, because he's my favourite prospect in this year's draft. In reality I don't think the value is there at 14/15, but I can ultimately live with it.

Our perception of value and what the team perceives as value I'm sure are different.   We'll see what happens though.  Selecting a lineman at 15 is not necessarily my choice either but I woudn't be mad.

23 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

How many weapons can Andrew Luck have at his disposal before everyone here finally agrees that he has enough?

I don't know and can't make that call.  I think many if not all of us here on the forum can't make that call.  We can give our opinions but we aren't privy to any of the inside information.  My opinion of how many weapons should AL have?  I don't think you could set a limit (you could never have too much weapons) but if the GM or coach feels that enough is enough then it's time to share the weapons.  That said yes we shouldn't put all the eggs in one basket and should have a balanced team. Thanks for the dialog Steamboat. 

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I haven't watched him yet, but based on the little I've seen, I don't think there's any chance he falls. I doubt Foster or Adams fall, either, but I think they're more likely to make it to the Colts than Hooker. 

Same for Garrett, Adams, etc. 

I think at Edge we are looking at maybe Barnett or Taco. If not McKinley Williams or Harris etc might be as good as it gets. McKinley is worrisome because of the injury. McDowell could be the pick. Personally I like Taco out of those names. 

If Thomas Adams or Foster were to fall it would make things easier. The Edge class seems to be full of late day 1 and day 2 guys. 

5 minutes ago, 100GFB said:

I don't know and can't make that call.  I think many if not all of us here on the forum can't make that call.  We can give our opinions but we aren't privy to any of the inside information.  My opinion of how many weapons should AL have?  I don't think you could set a limit (you could never have too much weapons) but if the GM or coach feels that enough is enough then it's time to share the weapons.  That said yes we shouldn't put all the eggs in one basket and should have a balanced team. Thanks for the dialog Steamboat. 

Personally, I just feel that outside of runningback, the offense should be pretty set. I get the impression though that some fans feel as if the cupboard's totally bare on the offensive side of the ball, and he has nothing to work with. I don't think that could be farther from the truth.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It would tell me that Philbin has told Ballard that Clark is not going to work out and to go ahead and draft another OT.

That's why I don't think that will happen.    I don't expect Philbin will be ready to give-up on Clark after such a short try-out.     Especially since Clark did well.      It would not add up for me.

I agree with you he gotta have more time to work with Clark 

13 minutes ago, Kelvin Mcclain said:

I agree with you he gotta have more time to work with Clark 

Welcome to the website.     Hope you enjoy it.

A warning,  it can be a little addictive around here....     but that's more good than bad!        :thmup:

21 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Pretty annoying seeing random " it won't matter because pagano" posts all the time. It's cool though I'll just block the dunce. 

I don't totally disagree with you there, but at the same time there are moderators who also feel that way about Pagano, and vocalize it fairly often, so I'm pretty hesitant to give warnings or ban someone based on those criticisms. I'll leave that to @Nadine, and if she sees fit to drop the hammer, then so be it.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't totally disagree, but at the same time there are moderators who also feel that way, and vocalize it fairly often, so I'm pretty hesitant to give warnings or ban someone based on Pagano criticisms. I'll leave that to @Nadine, and if she sees fit to drop the hammer, then so be it.

Nah, I'm hopeful that people will stop tormenting each other :)

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't totally disagree with you there, but at the same time there are moderators who also feel that way about Pagano, and vocalize it fairly often, so I'm pretty hesitant to give warnings or ban someone based on those criticisms. I'll leave that to @Nadine, and if she sees fit to drop the hammer, then so be it.

They don't post the same sentence 3 times in a row. There's a difference in stating your opinion, and being a child. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Stick to your board. I'm okay with an OL in the first. It's not what I hope happens, but I would understand it. I've been looking at mocks and big boards over the last few days, and I'm not really excited about the defensive guys who will be there at 14/15 -- Barnett, McKinley, some corners, McDowell, Cunningham, etc., not really feeling the value in the first, and I think some of the guys who will be there in the mid 40s are close to those guys. 

It would be my preference to trade down if the board said OL was the best pick in the first. Maximize value.

At this point, if Reuben Foster or Jamal Adams doesn't drop to us, I'm not really thrilled with the defensive prospects at 14/15.

If Foster drops to us I might cry...  Adams also...  My wife already knows how elated I would be... She is hoping they get drafted early lol...

And yes there is no way in h e double hockey sticks Hooker makes it past the first 10 kid is special.

As for the others... You don't see Taco or Cunningham as value at 14/15?  To me of course Cunningham would be an awesome pick.  He is a 3 down ILB who has everything you want in the mind.  He needs tackling work and maybe some strength conditioning but those are fixable.  We could use an athlete in the middle of our defense... Something we haven't had in what 5 years?

On the other hand I wouldn't mind an olineman.  Just wouldn't prefer. 

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Personally, I just feel that outside of runningback, the offense should be pretty set. I get the impression though that some fans feel as if the cupboard's totally bare on the offensive side of the ball, and he has nothing to work with. I don't think that could be farther from the truth.

That's what I'm saying we need frank the tank gore replacement before he leaves the colts 

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

That's kind of wild. What about Takk, Barnett, Thomas, Tabor, Jones, Williams, Charlton, Wilson? Edit. Or I guess I should say, how don't you value those for our pick?

I don't see any of those guys as top 15 players in this draft. Top 25, probably.

I think Jones is a 2nd rounder.

Honestly, and maybe it's just me, but I'm completely willing to give Chris Ballard the benefit of the doubt. Obviously with some exceptions (like WR for example), I wouldn't mind who he drafts so long as the Colts do their due diligence and feel whoever it is they took will help their football team the most. 

10 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

If Foster drops to us I might cry...  Adams also...  My wife already knows how elated I would be... She is hoping they get drafted early lol...

And yes there is no way in h e double hockey sticks Hooker makes it past the first 10 kid is special.

As for the others... You don't see Taco or Cunningham as value at 14/15?  To me of course Cunningham would be an awesome pick.  He is a 3 down ILB who has everything you want in the mind.  He needs tackling work and maybe some strength conditioning but those are fixable.  We could use an athlete in the middle of our defense... Something we haven't had in what 5 years?

On the other hand I wouldn't mind an olineman.  Just wouldn't prefer. 

I have issues with Cunningham's tackling, and he's statuesque and grabby in coverage. He has the physical ability to be good in coverage, but it's going to take some time; that's fine, but I don't think he's a top 20 player. I would rather trade down than draft him at 14/15. If I could go down to the high 20s and take Taco, Cunningham, McKinley, Barnett, Harris, etc., I'd be happy.

Everybody has their own perception of who's value is where.   This I've learned.   Ryan Kelly was seen as a 2nd round prospect for most of the entire draft process last year by most of everybody and then he gets taken by the Colts with the 18th pick.   Everybody has their own perception of value and worth and much of it is different.  One person says one guy is a bum, while the other person says he's top 15.  We'll see when the picks come through.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Everybody has their own perception of who's value is where.   This I've learned.

I just don't think drafting another rookie OL right now and plugging him into the scheme would be the most productive use of that pick for us. We had 3 rookies starting last year, and it took them a long time to gel, but they finally started to look like a decent unit towards the end of the season. I just don't see how introducing a rookie to that unit would be better than letting those guys grow more together in their second season.

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

I have issues with Cunningham's tackling, and he's statuesque and grabby in coverage. He has the physical ability to be good in coverage, but it's going to take some time; that's fine, but I don't think he's a top 20 player. I would rather trade down than draft him at 14/15. If I could go down to the high 20s and take Taco, Cunningham, McKinley, Barnett, Harris, etc., I'd be happy.

Who do you think is a potential trade partner? I don't really see anyone who would take the bite except maybe Miami... lol... sorry couldn't resist.

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't see any of those guys as top 15 players in this draft. Top 25, probably.

I think Jones is a 2nd rounder.

I don't think there's a chance Barnett or Thomas make it close to #25 though, nor should they imo. 

And the bolded is like a dagger to the heart.. I would love Mr Jones with our first ;)

12 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Who do you think is a potential trade partner? I don't really see anyone who would take the bite except maybe Miami... lol... sorry couldn't resist.

No telling. Maybe Washington, Houston or KC wants a QB, maybe Denver, Seattle or Miami wants a OL, maybe GB wants a RB. 

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

True but it could use an upgrade.  Yes the RB position will be a problem but who knows Gore's legs/body may already be shot!  It may not be a good example but look at many FA's that were good a year before then washout the following year.  So yes if a RB is available/BPA then take him.  We won't be able to rebuild the monster (O and D) in one draft.  If an RB is taken we still have the 2nd/3rd round.  I feel the O-line showed promise/potential later in the season but that's promise and potential so it could an upgrade.  Yes the D needs help but again can it be fixed in one draft?  Again give me an impact player whether it's O or D and on the field not in the hot tub!

7 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I don't think there's a chance Barnett or Thomas make it close to #25 though, nor should they imo. 

And the bolded is like a dagger to the heart.. I would love Mr Jones with our first ;)

Solomon Thomas? I think he's top ten. 

Barnett might not fall, but I'm okay passing on him. I don't think he's a special pass rusher. He's intriguing, but I don't see bend/burst/explosiveness, and he only has a couple tricks. High level production, but that's not enough for me for a top 15 pass rusher. 

I gave my notes on Jones already. I'm probably in the minority, so I think he'll probably get drafted in the first, but I'm not in love with him and I wouldn't take him at 14/15. JMO.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Solomon Thomas? I think he's top ten. 

Barnett might not fall, but I'm okay passing on him. I don't think he's a special pass rusher. He's intriguing, but I don't see bend/burst/explosiveness, and he only has a couple tricks. High level production, but that's not enough for me for a top 15 pass rusher. 

I gave my notes on Jones already. I'm probably in the minority, so I think he'll probably get drafted in the first, but I'm not in love with him and I wouldn't take him at 14/15. JMO.

Barnett doesn't have elite burst I agree, but I think he has pretty good bend. He is definitely one to watch at the combine. 

And i know, I know you're not a big fan of him. But one day superman... you just might be :D

32 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I just don't think drafting another rookie OL right now and plugging him into the scheme would be the most productive use of that pick for us. We had 3 rookies starting last year, and it took them a long time to gel, but they finally started to look like a decent unit towards the end of the season. I just don't see how introducing a rookie to that unit would be better than letting those guys grow more together in their second season.

Taking another OL in the first isn't my first line of thinking either.  I'm just saying I won't be too upset if they do.

43 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Wow... A Sound Mind..... Oh I Forgot A Lot Of Would Be GMs

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

Taking another OL in the first isn't my first line of thinking either.  I'm just saying I won't be too upset if they do.

I wouldn't be upset, I just think that the free agency class has better options for OL than the draft does this year. There just aren't any Jack Conklins, Cody Whitehairs, or Ryan Kellys in this draft that would warrant a first round pick at #14. Then again, that's just my opinion as a fan, but if Chris Ballard sees things differently, I'm cool with it.

It's kinda crazy that there really aren't any top 10 OL prospects in this draft. It's more likely the run to start around 15 and later. I would be surprised to see a first round lineman but I wouldn't hate it....just would mean to me that we are investing in the trenches, maybe we aren't bringing Jack back, or maybe we are going heavy defense in free agency.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'd be ecstatic. Especially if it's a guard like Bolles or Lamp. I'd feel good about Lucks health going forward. Plus it would give them the freedom to draft a real franchise back with a fully assembled O-Line. Good/Haeg should compete for the RT/RG spots with a rookie.

I like Lamp.  Not so sure I like him at 14/15, though.