Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon

9 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

As much of a question mark he is off the field, the reason I love him so much is because of the last 2 players drafted that are built like him. 

The last two skilled route-running and pass catching backs who can do damage up the middle and outside weighing around 225 and standing 6'1" tall?

LeVeon Bell and David Johnson!

We all know how well they play...

Exactly!!! 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Such a odd situation. One day everyone wants "equality" for males and females. The next day, that goes out the window. Society is messed up. She called him an N word(pretty big deal for most) and shoved him when he tried to walk away. If equality was real, she would have been charged. I wouldn't hit a woman but, let's not act like Joe just punched a girl for no reason. 

Some men believe there is no reason to punch a woman

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Such a odd situation. One day everyone wants "equality" for males and females. The next day, that goes out the window. Society is messed up. She called him an N word(pretty big deal for most) and shoved him when he tried to walk away. If equality was real, she would have been charged. I wouldn't hit a woman but, let's not act like Joe just punched a girl for no reason. 

She didn't call him the N word.

I don't even downgrade him for the woman thing.  She attacked him first.  

If that was a guy, even a guy half his size and he broke that guy's face everyone would just laugh at him and call him an idoit for starting a fight with a guy who was bigger and stronger then him.  It's only when it's a woman that we wring our hands about this stuff.  

D'Qwell Jackson punched out a pizza guy a couple years ago and the NFL didn't give a crap and neither did the Colts.  Heck most non-Colts fans probably where not even aware it happened.

As far as Mixon's playing ability. . . the thing that concerns me here from the breakdown Superman gave was the shying away from contact and sometimes losing focus when blocking in the backfield.  

I prefer power backs and that's not what this guy is.  So that bothers me a little.  But blocking is critical.  This is an offense that is and likely will for a long time thrive on the arm of Andrew Luck.  Any RB we get should be someone who can compliment Luck on the field.  While good running will take pressure off Luck that's not going to be where we are focusing.  Which means 3rd down ability is important because they will likely be doing it a lot more often then just on 3rd down.  

That said I think blocking is something that can be improved.  Shying away from contact probably isn't something that can be easily changed.  I don't think you can just change an RB's entire running style very easily.  

31 minutes ago, BOTT said:

She didn't call him the N word.

She did shove him as he was walking away though.  His point still stands.

The ONLY reason anyone considers this a character issue is because it was a woman.  If a guy half his size did that and he broke that guy's face everyone would just laugh at the guy and tell him to stop starting fights with guys that are bigger then he is.  

But because this is a woman then he suddenly lost all right to defend himself.  Guess he should have just let her pummel him until she either broke his face or got to physically tired to beat him any further.  Because that's the only way he walks out of there without his actions being considered criminal.

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

The ONLY reason anyone considers this a character issue is because it was a woman.  If a guy half his size did that and he broke that guy's face everyone would just laugh at the guy and tell him to stop starting fights with guys that are bigger then he is.  

I consider it a character issue because he has shown that he has no control over his temper. He underwent anger management after he hit that woman, and it apparently didnt help him, as he was in trouble for his temper again in October. He has shown that it is not an isolated event and he could go off at any time. If rehabilitation isnt working, that is a red flag. 

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

But because this is a woman then he suddenly lost all right to defend himself.  Guess he should have just let her pummel him until she either broke his face or got to physically tired to beat him any further.  Because that's the only way he walks out of there without his actions being considered criminal.

He probably should not have followed her in to the restaurant, and he probably shouldn't have approached in the restaurant, and he probably should have just walked away when she "attacked" him. A grown man hitting a woman is a character issue, and if you don't believe that then you and I have extremely different ideas on what it is to be a man.

10 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Good lord......

some of you guys will look for any excuse.

"The ONLY reason"..... yeah, no %.

5 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

He probably should not have followed her in to the restaurant, and he probably shouldn't have approached in the restaurant, and he probably should have just walked away when she "attacked" him. A grown man hitting a woman is a character issue, and if you don't believe that then you and I have extremely different ideas on what it is to be a man.

My grandmother has hit me harder than that woman hit Mixon lol

25 minutes ago, James Ducheteau said:

Why not following her into the restaurant isn't a crime.  Attacking someone is a crime.

And she certainly shouldn't have attacked him.  But oh poor her.  She started the physicality of the incident.  

I guess we do have different ideas.  I don't believe in starting fights period, man or woman you don't start things into physical confrontations.  If everyone behaves by that standard then there are no problems.

But I also believe that you have the right or at least you should have the right to defend yourself.  Unless it's someone who you know is mentally incapable and escape or restraint is possible.  This woman wasn't and is not mentally incapable.  She should have been the one in trouble.  

She started attacking him.  He ended the threat.  And there is no guarantee that if he keeps walking she's gonna leave him alone.  She already started the attack when his back was turned. 

Again you and I both know that if a guy half his size did what she did people would watch the video and laugh.  Where was everyone's outrage when D'Qwell Jackson punched a pizza guy?  He started that attack . . . AND I guarantee that D'Qwell had a pretty good size advantage over the pizza guy.  Oh that's right he was a guy and no one cares if you are beaten up by a steroid fueled NFL linebacker if you are male.   

6 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yeah I got you. But she assaulted him, also. When he tried to walk away. Yeah it was just a shove, but that's still putting your hands on someone. Not justifying Joes actions, just adding some more insight. 

Agreed. The line between fair and double standard is thin. Substitute the woman in the video for a guy and we're not even talking about character issues. We'd be applauding him for putting a racist in his place. Putting your hands on a woman is wrong but I believe that mostly goes for when it's completely unprovoked. I think it has to be weighed differently when women purposely push boundaries because they know the law.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. The line between fair and double standard is thin. Substitute the woman in the video for a guy and we're not even talking about character issues. We'd be applauding him for putting a racist in his place. Putting your hands on a woman is wrong but I believe that mostly goes for when it's completely unprovoked. I think it has to be weighed differently when women purposely push boundaries because they know the law.

I mean it happened 3 years ago when he was barely 18, and everyone wants to bury him for it. . He apologized and did everything he needed to to put this behind him.  Get over it and move on.  

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Stop calling her a racist.  She never said it.

19 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Did the court throw the book at this woman for her horrific assault she reigned down poor Ol' Joe Mixon?

No. But people are acting as if it was an unprovoked attack. That should be taken into account. It was still wrong but I remember several Colts fans here wanting us to sign a guy who threw his gf onto a bed full of automatic weapons.

No one is saying Mixon was innocent. He knows that himself. But looking at it black and white considering all the other factors are wrong. 

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

No. But people are acting as if it was an unprovoked attack. That should be taken into account. It was still wrong but I remember several Colts fans here wanting us to sign a guy who threw his gf onto a bed full of automatic weapons.

No one is saying Mixon was innocent. He knows that himself. But looking at it black and white considering all the other factors are wrong. 

It is black and white.  There is a reason he plead guilty and admitted what he did was horrible.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

It is black and white.  There is a reason he plead guilty and admitted what he did was horrible.

True. But what he did isn't unforgivable. Video or no video. There were other factors involved. Racial slurs and being pushed first. Had she not have pushed him, the incident might have never occurred. It's all heresy, but my point is it's not like the Ray Rice incident. That was black and white for many reasons.

30 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

True. But what he did isn't unforgivable. Video or no video. There were other factors involved. Racial slurs and being pushed first. Had she not have pushed him, the incident might have never occurred. It's all heresy, but my point is it's not like the Ray Rice incident. That was black and white for many reasons.

It's unforgivable to me.  If an owner wants to give him a second chance that's fine.

18 minutes ago, BOTT said:

It's unforgivable to me.  If an owner wants to give him a second chance that's fine.

Unless it's like rape or murder, nothing a person does at 18 should be unforgivable. Lot of people make mistakes around that time.

The guy made an impulse decision as a teenager; it's on his record, it was the wrong thing to do. He had his reasons for doing what he did at the time, he apologized when looking at his decisions in retrospect.  So he would even agree with all of you arguing the graveness of what he did.  Its not surprising in our world today that people on the internet want someones life to be destroyed based on an incident of poor judgement, but that idea seems ridiculous to me.

We've all made stupid decisions in our life and were more susceptible to them in our younger years; Granted probably not as serious as his, but I'd like to think that your life didn't end as a result, so let's not wish that on someone else.

If he can help the Indianapolis Colts win football games, I'm all for it.  Yes that would involve him staying out of trouble and on the field.  All we can do is hope Ballard does the homework necessary to determine if he is capable of doing that.  

17 minutes ago, Sockerice said:

The guy made an impulse decision as a teenager; it's on his record, it was the wrong thing to do. He had his reasons for doing what he did at the time, he apologized when looking at his decisions in retrospect.  So he would even agree with all of you arguing the graveness of what he did.  Its not surprising in our world today that people on the internet want someones life to be destroyed based on an incident of poor judgement, but that idea seems ridiculous to me.

We've all made stupid decisions in our life and were more susceptible to them in our younger years; Granted probably not as serious as his, but I'd like to think that your life didn't end as a result, so let's not wish that on someone else.

If he can help the Indianapolis Colts win football games, I'm all for it.  Yes that would involve him staying out of trouble and on the field.  All we can do is hope Ballard does the homework necessary to determine if he is capable of doing that.  

Who is asking for his life to be destoyed?

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

Who is asking for his life to be destoyed?

When you want to take away something that he has been working towards his whole life, that is in essence destroying his life.

Yes he has been working towards playing in the NFL his whole life.

1 minute ago, Sockerice said:

When you want to take away something that he has been working towards his whole life, that is in essence destroying his life.

Yes he has been working towards playing in the NFL his whole life.

That really isn't the essence of destroying ones life.  Regardless, I don't think many are saying he should be banned from the NFL.

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

How do you know?

I've not seen a single story claiming the young girl called Mixon the N-word.    All the stories I've seen said it came from another girl in the group she was with.       Now,  that's not proof-positive in a flash-fight moment like this,  I'm just sharing what I've read.

I've started a number of threads about Mixon because, at first,  I didn't think the full and complete story was well known around here.     Then, I found it a sad, but interesting story to discuss.

At some point,  others became very interested in the topic and more people here started threads about Joe Mixon.

That said,  in almost all of them,  heat quickly boils up from the surface,  people here get very upset on both sides of the issue.

I'D LIKE TO SEE LESS OF THIS.    It doesn't help matters on either side to get into name-calling or demeaning someone else's view on this subject.       No one here knows if someone else has had Domestic Violence in their own family.     Or their extended family.      Or the family of a best friend or someone else close to them.    There is a lot of Domestic Violence out there and people are pretty firm on their viewpoints.    And they're entitled.

So, if someone doesn't share your view on this,  please do not press the issue.    Things will get heated and a moderator will only come along and close the thread. 

Personally,  I have not tried to change anyone's mind here.     I come,  I post my view and that is that.   I try to make sure as many facts are known as possible.    But changing viewpoints on this issue is not likely.  

I always like a good thoughtful discussion.    But I hate when things get personal,  especially when the subject is as sensitive as this one is.     So,  while I'm not a moderator,  I am 60 and have lived long enough to know what is going to work,  and what isn't.     So,  please keep your powder dry.    Express your views and move on....

Peace......

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've not seen a single story claiming the young girl called Mixon the N-word.    All the stories I've seen said it came from another girl in the group she was with.       Now,  that's not proof-positive in a flash-fight moment like this,  I'm just sharing what I've read.

It's irrelevant, either way. He shouldn't have hit her, doesn't matter what she said. But no one who wasn't there really knows what was said during that entire altercation. 

On 3/2/2017 at 5:38 AM, Defjamz26 said:

It's more likely for a person with a substance abuse problems to relapse and have a recurring problem than it is for a guy like Mixon to hit another woman in the face.

Donestic violence and a single act of violence against a random woman (who allegedly called him racial slurs) are two different things. One is a recurring problem, the other is an isolated incident. Neither are right.

I think the racial slur came from another woman who was with the woman who Mixon punched.

I do not believe it came from the victim.

On 3/2/2017 at 7:24 PM, Tmoney said:

I seriously doubt you've watched his film if this is your analysis. Zero lateral agility? Fine I'll leave it alone. He doesn't set up blocks? What are you looking at if he doesn't set up blocks?? In Every game you can find him showing patience starting one way and cutting up off the block he just created. Couldn't be more wrong. He's a pure power back?? When was the guy running ppl over? That's his flaw he doesn't run behind his pads, he runs straight up, and his legs sometimes go dead on contact. His lack of versatility?????? Please re evaluate Joe Mixon, the most versatile back in the draft with the best pure hands and also one of the better route runners of the RBs. Doesn't block extremely well but has the frame to improve. I disagree with your entire analysis

Turns out the poster wasn't talking about Mixon,  but about Jamaal Williams of BYU.

His post was not worded very well and a number of us initially took it wrong....

5 hours ago, Tmoney said:

I think it was the girls friend who called him the N word. 

Allegedly.  And allegedly the football players were calling her friend a * outside of the establishment.  Who knows what the whole truth is.

18 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Allegedly.  And allegedly the football players were calling her friend a * outside of the establishment.  Who knows what the whole truth is.

Calling someone an * is unforgivable. I'd definitely throw down if someone called me an *. I could handle # or maybe @, even ", but never *.