Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon

Sophomore RB who has had several off field issues. I think everyone knows about all of that. I'm giving my thoughts about his ability and pro projection. Good production this year, including as a kick returner. I wish he were working out at the Combine; I guess we'll have to wait for his pro day. In advance, TL;DR: He's really good.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/joe-mixon-1.html

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/joe-mixon/

Size: Listed at 6'1", 226, tightly built, good size and frame, lean through the middle, could probably work on his lower body more as a pro and play at a high level a few pounds heavier. Good size hands from what I can see, hope he gets fully measured. 4.5/5

Athleticism: Breakaway speed is obvious when he gets in the open field. Quickness and acceleration are high level, which helps him get out in the open. He has some suddenness, can change direction, can finish with power, bend the corner and run away from everyone. Shows leaping ability to hurdle defenders (not advised) and get over the goal line. Played basketball in high school, and not for nothing, it bugs the crap out of me that he only shot 57% from the free throw line. Between his size, speed and physicality, his athleticism is not in question. I would assume that he'd test at a high level in every respect. 8/10

Vision: Finds the hole when it's there, follows lead blockers well, runs from the I, shotgun, pistol, and singleback. Shows some patience and ability to cut back, sets up blocks well enough. Sometimes gets antsy and bounces outside before he needs to. When he commits to the design of the play he shows enough discipline to eek out positive yardage when the blocking breaks down. Hard to second guess his instincts when he has so many highlight runs making something out of nothing. 6.5/10

3rd down ability: Natural, soft hands to make good catches from several angles, over his head, behind him, one-handers, etc. Productive work as a receiver in 2016, including some deep ball catches. Runs good routes from multiple spots, not exactly Marshall Faulk but not deficient in any way. Concentration can lapse when the ball is on the way, leading to some drops. He can hold his own in pass pro, and shows good awareness to know where the pressure is coming from. Not always eager to protect, sometimes goes through the motions, prone to dive around recklessly rather than square up. More than capable in both phases. 3.5/5 receiving, 3.5/5 blocking -- 7/10

Balance: Makes hairpin turns without trouble, cuts laterally with speed and precision, turns the corner at incredible angles. Can shake off would-be tacklers while on the move, gets out of messes behind the line of scrimmage. Not prone to be arm tackled, and can run through undisciplined and lazy tacklers. Tends to run more upright than he should, and prone to lean forward too far and get out of control. 8/10

Physicality: Not a bruiser, more likely to dance/spin/jump cut away from contact than slam it into the pile. Likes to use the stiff arm to push defenders away and keep moving forward. Has the size to finish with power, and at times will deliver a blow, but would much rather slither away from contact and fall forward for more yardage. 5/10

Improvisation: Has myriad ways to get away from defenders and make them miss -- stop/start, jump cut, spin move, stiff arm, hesitation, stutter step, in/out, etc. Shifty and quick, can set up several moves, comes out of cuts at top speed. Can make something out of nothing in the backfield. 9/10

Ball control: Not particularly prone to fumble, but has a couple bad games, including a 3 fumble game against Texas. Holds the ball a little recklessly at times. Mentioned already some lapses as a receiver, but typically finishes the play. 7/10

Overall: 55/75, 73%, late first/early second rounder, every down / feature back potential

He can do it all, well rounded prospect at RB, good size, good production, excellent traits, needs some coaching to stay patient, finish and protect the ball, but his natural ability should not be stifled. A fit for any run scheme, but probably best in a man scheme. I see some things on film that make me wonder about his professionalism, but everything I read from his coaches and teammates say he works tirelessly and is very coachable. 

Then there's the off field stuff. It will undoubtedly push him down draft boards, and some teams will cross him off entirely. It wouldn't surprise me if he goes undrafted, but being realistic, I think some team will take him on Day 2. He's too good, too talented. His major off field issue was three years ago, not to make light of it, but that will be a rationalization for some team to 'give him a second chance.' Oklahoma did, post-Ray Rice, and kept him on the field even after the video came out (just one game, but it was a bowl game on national TV, and they took a lot of heat for it). I think he'll be drafted, and if he stays out of trouble, he'll be a good pro.

I highly doubt the Colts are the team to draft him.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Superman said:

Sophomore RB who has had several off field issues. I think everyone knows about all of that. I'm giving my thoughts about his ability and pro projection. Good production this year, including as a kick returner. I wish he were working out at the Combine; I guess we'll have to wait for his pro day. In advance, TL;DR: He's really good.

Size: Listed at 6'1", 226, tightly built, good size and frame, lean through the middle, could probably work on his lower body more as a pro and play at a high level a few pounds heavier. Good size hands from what I can see, hope he gets fully measured. 4.5/5

Athleticism: Breakaway speed is obvious when he gets in the open field. Quickness and acceleration are high level, which helps him get out in the open. He has some suddenness, can change direction, can finish with power, bend the corner and run away from everyone. Shows leaping ability to hurdle defenders (not advised) and get over the goal line. Played basketball in high school, and not for nothing, it bugs the crap out of me that he only shot 57% from the free throw line. Between his size, speed and physicality, his athleticism is not in question. I would assume that he'd test at a high level in every respect. 8/10

Vision: Finds the hole when it's there, follows lead blockers well, runs from the I, shotgun, pistol, and singleback. Shows some patience and ability to cut back, sets up blocks well enough. Sometimes gets antsy and bounces outside before he needs to. When he commits to the design of the play he shows enough discipline to eek out positive yardage when the blocking breaks down. Hard to second guess his instincts when he has so many highlight runs making something out of nothing. 6.5/10

3rd down ability: Natural, soft hands to make good catches from several angles, over his head, behind him, one-handers, etc. Productive work as a receiver in 2016, including some deep ball catches. Runs good routes from multiple spots, not exactly Marshall Faulk but not deficient in any way. Concentration can lapse when the ball is on the way, leading to some drops. He can hold his own in pass pro, and shows good awareness to know where the pressure is coming from. Not always eager to protect, sometimes goes through the motions, prone to dive around recklessly rather than square up. More than capable in both phases. 3.5/5 receiving, 3.5/5 blocking -- 7/10

Balance: Makes hairpin turns without trouble, cuts laterally with speed and precision, turns the corner at incredible angles. Can shake off would-be tacklers while on the move, gets out of messes behind the line of scrimmage. Not prone to be arm tackled, and can run through undisciplined and lazy tacklers. Tends to run more upright than he should, and prone to lean forward too far and get out of control. 8/10

Physicality: Not a bruiser, more likely to dance/spin/jump cut away from contact than slam it into the pile. Likes to use the stiff arm to push defenders away and keep moving forward. Has the size to finish with power, and at times will deliver a blow, but would much rather slither away from contact and fall forward for more yardage. 5/10

Improvisation: Has myriad ways to get away from defenders and make them miss -- stop/start, jump cut, spin move, stiff arm, hesitation, stutter step, in/out, etc. Shifty and quick, can set up several moves, comes out of cuts at top speed. Can make something out of nothing in the backfield. 9/10

Ball control: Not particularly prone to fumble, but has a couple bad games, including a 3 fumble game against Texas. Holds the ball a little recklessly at times. Mentioned already some lapses as a receiver, but typically finishes the play. 7/10

Overall: 55/75, 73%, late first/early second rounder, every down / feature back potential

He can do it all, well rounded prospect at RB, good size, good production, excellent traits, needs some coaching to stay patient, finish and protect the ball, but his natural ability should not be stifled. A fit for any run scheme, but probably best in a man scheme. I see some things on film that make me wonder about his professionalism, but everything I read from his coaches and teammates say he works tirelessly and is very coachable. 

Then there's the off field stuff. It will undoubtedly push him down draft boards, and some teams will cross him off entirely. It wouldn't surprise me if he goes undrafted, but being realistic, I think some team will take him on Day 2. He's too good, too talented. His major off field issue was three years ago, not to make light of it, but that will be a rationalization for some team to 'give him a second chance.' Oklahoma did, post-Ray Rice, and kept him on the field even after the video came out (just one game, but it was a bowl game on national TV, and they took a lot of heat for it). I think he'll be drafted, and if he stays out of trouble, he'll be a good pro.

Why not ?

For what it's worth,  for those who are curious and want to see video of, I'd respectfully recommend being careful of what games you are watching.

Meaning,  in his 2015 video, I thought he looked a bit tentative,  a bit hesitant,  that he lacked a certain suddenness.      I chalked most of that up to being away from the game during his redshirt year, where I believe he didn't practice at all.     So, I thought he was a bit rusty and it showed.

Then, late in 2016,  I started watching his 2016 highlights and it was almost like he was a different guy.   Much more decisive,  much more acceleration,  better vision....   better everything frankly.    His play just popped off the screen.     I was completely impressed.

Just some food for thought,  something to watch for as you look at Mixon highlights.

Superman did a nice job of breaking him down.

28 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Why not ?

I'm not Superman,  and I'm in favor of drafting Mixon in the 4th,  but I think the reason we won't draft him,  even if we have the chance,  is that I think Irsay will say no to Ballard.       I suspect Ballard will make a pitch and fight the good fight,   but that Irsay will decide to pass on any opportunity to draft the kid.

I don't think he wants the PR hit for the franchise.

Just my hunch...........

If Mixon checks out at the combine I don't think we need to worry about who thinks what in the 4th. He may end up the top RB from this class when it's all said and done. I think he goes to Seattle with one of their 2 comp picks if he is still there at the end of the 3rd. 

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not Superman,  and I'm in favor of drafting Mixon in the 4th,  but I think the reason we won't draft him,  even if we have the chance,  is that I think Irsay will say no to Ballard.       I suspect Ballard will make a pitch and fight the good fight,   but that Irsay will decide to pass on any opportunity to draft the kid.

Just my hunch...........

But with Irsay's past and lifestyle wouldn't it be so hypocritical for us to lose out on such a talent and steal of maybe getting Mixon in the 3rd or later?

3 minutes ago, akcolt said:

If Mixon checks out at the combine I don't think we need to worry about who thinks what in the 4th. He may end up the top RB from this class when it's all said and done. I think he goes to Seattle with one of their 2 comp picks if he is still there at the end of the 3rd. 

Hes not invited to the combine. Have to wait for his pro day. 

5 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I wouldn't wait and take a chance he's  there in the 4th. I would pul the trigger in the 3rd, and even then may be too late.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I wouldn't wait and take a chance he's  there in the 4th. I would pul the trigger in the 3rd, and even then may be too late.

I would take Mixon without hesitation in the 2nd Rd. IMO, that's what it will take to get him and he`s that good.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just my hunch...........

Irsay is a guy with skeletons in his own closet that have been greatly publicized. I think he'd give the kid a second chance.

After a year in the league people would forget all about something that happened in college.

He might get drafted high his abilities can't be denied. I'd take him in the 3rd but I'd also love a 3rd defender. If he where there in the 4th because of the off the field stuff and some of these RBs at the combine impressing he'd be the steal of the draft. Definitely not banking on getting Joe, but he's my favorite RB in the draft and IMO will be a top 10 RB in the league some day.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Good write up.  I agree with most of it.  I've said it before and it bears repeating.  He's probably the most complete blocking/receiving back in this draft.  He's not as great receiving from the backfield as Cook or McCaffrey, but he's a better blocker.  Certainly a better receiver than Fournette.  There's a lot to like about his play on the field.  His vision could be better, but i'ts improved over the course of the 2016 season, so there's reason to believe he'll get better, particularly only having played 2 seasons (as part of an RBBC at that).

I don't think his breakaway speed is great.  It's adequate, and he'll be able to score from 50 yards out, but I am guessing he runs a 4.55-4.60.  

1 hour ago, JRnINDY said:

Thank you Superman for your breakdown of Joe Mixon. I am aware of the time it takes to do this and wanted to let you know there alway great reads. Look forward to your next one! 

Hint: Jamal Williams....

Legarrette Blount ceiling.  Has almost zero lateral agility and will make for a good RBBC candidate with 1st/2nd down responsibilities and goalline carries.  He's a poor man's Leonard Fournette, and shouldn't be drafted higher than the 5th round.  Has some decent speed, but nothing special.  He's more cut out for a power blocking scheme.  He's got the most impressive stiff arm out of anyone in the class, perhaps better than Fournette in that area.  He's very decisive - to a fault at times (see next paragraph).  He has the frame to take on blocking duties, but he was pretty poor at it in 1-on-1 situations in the games I watched.  

He doesn't set up his blockers particularly well which is evidenced by how he prematurely puts his head down and just bangs through the hole, limiting his ability to gain yards after contact.  So while it's great that he's a banger running back, he could be even more effective but for his lack of lateral agility and his sometimes premature decisiveness.  

The good news for him is that he is a powerful back and there is a place for him in the NFL, but he needs to be used in downhill situations and he probably shouldn't be doing much lateral running.  He needs to improve his patience, but anyone who takes him in will need to put him in a position where he has little reading duties and can just take the handoff and go - power up the middle plays, inside zone plays and even read option.  His lack of versatility though is his biggest issue.

6 hours ago, JRnINDY said:

Thank you Superman for your breakdown of Joe Mixon. I am aware of the time it takes to do this and wanted to let you know there alway great reads. Look forward to your next one! 

Hint: Jamal Williams....

Holy cow I don't know what happened, I responded to you and the website went haywire.  Just quoting you know to let you know I responded to this comment, right above in case the forum blew up and didn't send you the notification last time. 

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just my hunch...........

I don't want to speak for people I don't know, but I do expect Ballard to do his due diligence on Mixon. I think he already has. Just like he did with Peters and Hill in KC, he'll evaluate their talent, and separately, he'll evaluate their "issues," and determine whether he thinks the person is mature enough and responsible enough to be a member of the team. Then he'll try to project where he thinks Mixon will be drafted, and whether he thinks Mixon is worth whatever it would take for the Colts to draft him. I think this is the general process for every team in this situation.

By the way, I think Ballard and the Chiefs did this for several troubled players over the years. Peters and Hill passed the test. We don't really know about the players who didn't. So I don't think we should operate under the assumption that, because Ballard has been involved in drafting other troubled players that he'll eventually be comfortable with another troubled player. He might decide he doesn't want to have anything to do with Mixon.

Ultimately, I do agree that Irsay would have to sign off on adding a player in this situation, and I doubt that would happen with Mixon. Irsay seems to hire people who shy away from players with character issues, and I don't think that's a coincidence. 

7 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

It's yes and you know it, lol.

Not necessarily. I don't know of Irsay every being involved in an assault, or hitting a woman in the face. Just because Irsay has had personal issues doesn't mean he would be hypocritical for not employing someone with their own, different personal issues.

Besides, even if it would make him a hypocrite, who cares? He's running an organization. I don't think he should be making decisions on the basis of whether someone will call him a hypocrite for avoiding a troubled player. 'Well, I would say no to this guy because I think he's bad news, but I can't have people calling me a hypocrite, so let's just give him a chance.' I don't think so.

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Irsay is a guy with skeletons in his own closet that have been greatly publicized. I think he'd give the kid a second chance.

After a year in the league people would forget all about something that happened in college.

If there wasn't a video I would agree with your second point.

15 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

But with Irsay's past and lifestyle wouldn't it be so hypocritical for us to lose out on such a talent and steal of maybe getting Mixon in the 3rd or later?

He's the owner,  he gets to be as hypocritical as he'd like to be.

It his team.     

It's the old Golden Rule line.......     He who has the Gold,  Rules!!     

Not trying to be clever here....      I'm in favor of the Colts drafting Mixon.     I just don't think Irsay will let it happen.       I'd be happy to be wrong.

35 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Punching a woman and having a substance abuse problem are two very different things.

I doubt we Draft him anyway. I really like Kareem Hunt and he should be there in Round 3, if not Foreman may be anyway. Hunt doesn't fumble which is obviously a great trait to have and he has Good speed. Foreman has massive size and great speed for his size.

30 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'd even say punching a woman and breaking her face are two very different things...

He didn't break her face, the table she fell on after he punched her is what broke her face. 

Let's be accurate here.

8 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't think his breakaway speed is great.  It's adequate, and he'll be able to score from 50 yards out, but I am guessing he runs a 4.55-4.60.  

I hate gif makers, so I won't post any gifs, but there are several plays I've watched where he just ran past from the entire defense. Maybe he doesn't run a great 40, but I think his top gear is more than adequate. 

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I hate gif makers, so I won't post any gifs, but there are several plays I've watched where he just ran past from the entire defense. Maybe he doesn't run a great 40, but I think his top gear is more than adequate. 

To the bolded, I am terrible at it, too.  

Regarding speed, we can nitpick over the difference between adequate, good, elite speed.  Even if we disagree on speed, I still agree that (a) top speed isn't everything and in fact, i'ts a handful of traits down the list, (b) he's still a good football player.  I doubt we take him for his off the field stuff, but I'm open to the possibility.  

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Me too, at the risk of being insensitive about a woman who was punched in the face. Dangerous game...

lol it's tough to do and it's always like one of those "It was just a joke if you think I'm being serious."  

22 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Punching a woman and having a substance abuse problem are two very different things.

I don't know about Mixon, just a little here & there I read. Though its definitely not good what he did but I've read here he hasn't done anything before or since the incident. He was only 18 years old and it's been like 3 years since.

But which is worse, punching a woman who hit him first OR operating a vehicle while so intoxicated he did not know where he was? Putting other would be drivers in harms way. Thank God he didn't hurt or even kill himself or another motorist.

And which is worse, what Mixon did OR Irsay knowingly using his Billion dollar inheritance to break up a marriage and home? A woman with a husband and 3 kids.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/jim-irsay-girlfriend-jami-martin-twitter/244389

Now I'm not trying to paint Irsay as a evil or bad person. Especially with his addictions. Addiction is a very terrible thing and ruined countless lives. I wish him  well with that because I kinda like the Dude and he does own my favorite team.

But whenever a player has a potentially black mark on him, like weeds or drugs, or a fight or whatever. Someone will say something like "No, Irsay will not sign/draft him"

or "he's not worthy of the horse-shoe". It's like Irsay is holier than thou, when in fact he's like the other 31 owners and the rest of us. We all have skeletons, some are out of closet and some still in.

I'm hoping we acquire all the talent we can and not expect our roster to have 53 choir boys.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I don't know about Mixon, just a little here & there I read. Though its definitely not good what he did but I've read here he hasn't done anything before or since the incident. He was only 18 years old and it's been like 3 years since.

But which is worse, punching a woman who hit him first OR operating a vehicle while so intoxicated he did not know where he was? Putting other would be drivers in harms way. Thank God he didn't hurt or even kill himself or another motorist.

And which is worse, what Mixon did OR Irsay knowingly using his Billion dollar inheritance to break up a marriage and home? A woman with a husband and 3 kids.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/jim-irsay-girlfriend-jami-martin-twitter/244389

Now I'm not trying to paint Irsay as a evil or bad person. Especially with his addictions. Addiction is a very terrible thing and ruined countless lives. I wish him  well with that because I kinda like the Dude and he does own my favorite team.

But whenever a player has a potentially black mark on him, like weeds or drugs, or a fight or whatever. Someone will say something like "No, Irsay will not sign/draft him"

or "he's not worthy of the horse-shoe". It's like Irsay is holier than thou, when in fact he's like the other 31 owners and the rest of us. We all have skeletons, some are out of closet and some still in.

I'm hoping we acquire all the talent we can and not expect our roster to have 53 choir boys.

Punching a woman is worse than both of,the things you mentioned.

yes, he was 18.  Most men know by a much earlier age that you don't hit women unless it's an extreme circumstance.

On 2/28/2017 at 0:22 AM, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth,  for those who are curious and want to see video of, I'd respectfully recommend being careful of what games you are watching.

Meaning,  in his 2015 video, I thought he looked a bit tentative,  a bit hesitant,  that he lacked a certain suddenness.      I chalked most of that up to being away from the game during his redshirt year, where I believe he didn't practice at all.     So, I thought he was a bit rusty and it showed.

Then, late in 2016,  I started watching his 2016 highlights and it was almost like he was a different guy.   Much more decisive,  much more acceleration,  better vision....   better everything frankly.    His play just popped off the screen.     I was completely impressed.

Just some food for thought,  something to watch for as you look at Mixon highlights.

Superman did a nice job of breaking him down.

100% this. The year sitting out caused definite rust when he came back.