Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Antonio Brown extended for 4 years 68 million

RockThatBlue

Just now, Boomstick1 said:

Julio has something to say about that

I knew someone would mention Julio. I disagree though, just because he helped them make the SB doesn't make him better than Brown. Brown is faster, a better playmaker, and a difference maker. He can single handedly carry a team every game if they throw to him and score an 80 yd td with ease. Julio has lots of help on the offense and doesn't carry the Falcons. He's a number #1 on a stacked offense, he's usually single covered because you have to respect the other receivers like Gabriel and Sanu. Brown is the only receiver on the Steelers and he dominates. I would take Brown 100 times out of 100 over Julio.

28 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I knew someone would mention Julio. I disagree though, just because he helped them make the SB doesn't make him better than Brown. Brown is faster, a better playmaker, and a difference maker. He can single handedly carry a team every game if they throw to him and score an 80 yd td with ease. Julio has lots of help on the offense and doesn't carry the Falcons. He's a number #1 on a stacked offense, he's usually single covered because you have to respect the other receivers like Gabriel and Sanu. Brown is the only receiver on the Steelers and he dominates. I would take Brown 100 times out of 100 over Julio.

Define faster? Because I'd fancy Jones takes him in straight line and cutting speed. 

I'd probably agree I think Brown is better but it's not as clear cut as you opine IMO.

24 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Define faster? Because I'd fancy Jones takes him in straight line and cutting speed. 

I'd probably agree I think Brown is better but it's not as clear cut as you opine IMO.

Faster as being able to outrun a CB, make a deep catch, and take it for a td. He has demonstrated it with his big play ability to burn receivers, usually multiple times a game.

49 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Faster as being able to outrun a CB, make a deep catch, and take it for a td. He has demonstrated it with his big play ability to burn receivers, usually multiple times a game.

Julio does the same. I'd say Brown might be quicker. 

Those two are at the top of the list, for sure. I can't say I'd favor one over the other, they both have excellent cases. 

Julio > AB

julio is bigger and faster

AB Is a better route runner

Hands are the same

playmaking ability is the same

Matt Ryan spreads the ball around more. AB gets 50% of the steelers targets. That's the most by far for any receiver in the NFL, and that's where his production comes from. 

They are the 1 and 2 WRs in the league but I would take Julio over AB any day of the week. I just don't think AB would be putting up the numbers he is putting up without 50% of the targets.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

Julio does the same. I'd say Brown might be quicker. 

Those two are at the top of the list, for sure. I can't say I'd favor one over the other, they both have excellent cases. 

Pre-draft numbers would suggest Jones (4.39s 40, 6.66s 3 cone) has the edge just on Brown (4.48s 40, 6.98s 3 cone) but it's not a huge difference and you do have to wonder how much the foot injury has affected Jones' speed. Jones obviously has the advantage in the other physical measurable. 

8 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He's a number #1 on a stacked offense, he's usually single covered because you have to respect the other receivers like Gabriel and Sanu. Brown is the only receiver on the Steelers and he dominates. I would take Brown 100 times out of 100 over Julio.

Couple of things here, I'd say the Pitts offense is as "stacked" as the Falcons' looking back over the length of both their careers, and they are on par for how much they contribute to it. Jones has account for 21.67% of offensive yards whilst Falcon (29.01% of passing yard) , while Brown is at 20.63% for total yards and 28.87% for receiving yards. ,

I'd contend too that Brown is the "only" receiver on the Steelers, certainly for years previous to last season. Sanu/Gabriel/Freeman combined for 1694 yards compared to 1645 yards for Bell/Coates/Rogers. If you look back at previous seasons it's a fairly similar story. Going off your idea that Brown is doubled more than Jones you'd expect Jones to see a greater share of team targets compared to Bell, assuming that their respective QBs aren't consistently forcing them the ball in double coverage of course. Again they're remarkably close with Jones getting 24% of targets compared to Brown's 26%.

As I said I'd probably take Brown over Jones myself but as @Superman said it's a no lose choice in many ways. So while I don't disagree with your choice between the two I do disagree it's as clear cut as you make out. 

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Pre-draft numbers would suggest Jones (4.39s 40, 6.66s 3 cone) has the edge just on Brown (4.48s 40, 6.98s 3 cone) but it's not a huge difference and you do have to wonder how much the foot injury has affected Jones' speed. Jones obviously has the advantage in the other physical measurable. 

Couple of things here, I'd say the Pitts offense is as "stacked" as the Falcons' looking back over the length of both their careers, and they are on par for how much they contribute to it. Jones has account for 21.67% of offensive yards whilst Falcon (29.01% of passing yard) , while Brown is at 20.63% for total yards and 28.87% for receiving yards. ,

I'd contend too that Brown is the "only" receiver on the Steelers, certainly for years previous to last season. Sanu/Gabriel/Freeman combined for 1694 yards compared to 1645 yards for Bell/Coates/Rogers. If you look back at previous seasons it's a fairly similar story. Going off your idea that Brown is doubled more than Jones you'd expect Jones to see a greater share of team targets compared to Bell, assuming that their respective QBs aren't consistently forcing them the ball in double coverage of course. Again they're remarkably close with Jones getting 24% of targets compared to Brown's 26%.

As I said I'd probably take Brown over Jones myself but as @Superman said it's a no lose choice in many ways. So while I don't disagree with your choice between the two I do disagree it's as clear cut as you make out. 

Good stats, and fair argument. Both are great WR's, and I don't use that word loosely. I just prefer the kind of receiver Brown is over the type of receiver Julio is. 

6 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

I'll wager too that Alshon Jeffrey gets paid more than Brown and that's criminal. Que sera sera, it's the way the market works. You could argue that the Steelers have done well to get out in front and sign him up before FA drives the price up.

It would be criminal, but I don't think it will happen. I've heard the Eagles and Rams are after him, but I can't see them paying over $17 million to someone who is as injury prone and inconsistent as Jeffrey. With a weak WR market in FA, it's possible, but I think he'll get $14-$15 million (which is still too high for him IMO).

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It would be criminal, but I don't think it will happen. I've heard the Eagles and Rams are after him, but I can't see them paying over $17 million to someone who is as injury prone and inconsistent as Jeffrey. With a weak WR market in FA, it's possible, but I think he'll get $14-$15 million (which is still too high for him IMO).

We live in a world where Mike Wallace got $60 Million/5 Years back in 2013, anything is possible.

Funny how things spin out, if Wallace had given the Steelers a home town discount and stayed there we might not be talking about Brown in the same terms, or possibly talking about him being on a different roster all together. 

On 2/27/2017 at 9:17 PM, Luck 4 president said:

Julio > AB

julio is bigger and faster

AB Is a better route runner

Hands are the same

playmaking ability is the same

Matt Ryan spreads the ball around more. AB gets 50% of the steelers targets. That's the most by far for any receiver in the NFL, and that's where his production comes from. 

They are the 1 and 2 WRs in the league but I would take Julio over AB any day of the week. I just don't think AB would be putting up the numbers he is putting up without 50% of the targets.

Brown doesn't get 50% of the targets.   He had 154 targets this year.  Ben threw the ball 509 times and he only played 14 games.  They threw the ball 596 times as a whole this season.  Brown got 26% of the targets

I get that Julio is hot right now. And he's great. No doubt about it. But AB is another level. But the last 3 years it's no question. 

AB 47g/371rec/4816yds/35tds

JJ 45g/323rec/4873rec/20tds

and this is without Return yards or Tds...

heck even

obj: 43g/288rec/4122yds/35 tds I feel trumps Julio. 

TDs imo are where it's at and Julio just can't do it.