Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Melvin Ingram expected to be franchise tagged (Per Shefty)

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Such a shame.

Well bang goes the pass rusher in FA and Dalvin in the 1st round argument!

I don't think that is necessarily the case.  If after they stack their board and Cook is still rated substantially higher than the best available defensive player, he would still be a consideration.   

I read an article recently stating that the Skins might tag Cousins again then trade him to the 49'ers after the league starts the new year.  After he is tagged the acquiring team could work out a long term deal with him now with the Skins permission.  It could all be done and ready to go by the start of the new league year.  Maybe that is what the Chargers are trying to do?

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I read an article recently stating that the Skins might tag Cousins again then trade him to the 49'ers after the league starts the new year.  After he is tagged the acquiring team could work out a long term deal with him now with the Skins permission.  It could all be done and ready to go by the start of the new league year.  Maybe that is what the Chargers are trying to do?

First, that rarely happens. Second, the only position it really makes sense for is QB, and it has special weight to it since Shanahan knows/likes Cousins. 

I doubt that's the plan for Ingram. I think they'd rather just keep him one more year on the tag and see how he fits their new defense, especially given his age and lack of prior production. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

First, that rarely happens. Second, the only position it really makes sense for is QB, and it has special weight to it since Shanahan knows/likes Cousins. 

I doubt that's the plan for Ingram. I think they'd rather just keep him one more year on the tag and see how he fits their new defense, especially given his age and lack of prior production. 

Yep.  Ingram is close to aging out as a premium second contract player...and the Chargers can rent him one more year for about the same cost as signing him long term.  

The extra year we rented Freeman via the RFA terms cost Freeman millions because we aged him out another year.  This could easily cost Ingram 10s of millions.

9 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Yep.  Ingram is close to aging out as a premium second contract player...and the Chargers can rent him one more year for about the same cost as signing him long term.  

The extra year we rented Freeman via the RFA terms cost Freeman millions because we aged him out another year.  This could easily cost Ingram 10s of millions.

That's the thing about hitting free agency at a later age. Freeman spent time in the CFL and was 30 when he hit the market. Ingram will be 28. It will probably cost him a lot of money. On the other hand, if he has an outstanding season, he can still get a big pay day next year. And we're assuming the Chargers don't give him an extension now (although I think that's a safe assumption at this point). 

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

And what would Washington do without a QB?

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

And what would Washington do without a QB?

Well assuming the number 2 pick was part of the deal, they would have their pick of whatever rookie QB they want this year. That being said they would have to include a lot more than just that pick to get Cousins IMO. 

Probably not something I would do as a GM, but the Redskins have done some ridiculous things in the past so it wouldnt surprise me. 

Just now, SaturdayAllDay said:

Well assuming the number 2 pick was part of the deal, they would have their pick of whatever rookie QB they want this year. That being said they would have to include a lot more than just that pick to get Cousins IMO. 

Probably not something I would do as a GM, but the Redskins have done some ridiculous things in the past so it wouldnt surprise me. 

The Redskins are under new management.    Scott McGloughlin (sp?) took over last year and did a great job his first year.      I don't see him trading away a proven QB just so that he can take the best QB in a very poor year for QB's which would set the franchise back likely 2-3 years.       Not sure the DC fan base wants to cheer a sub-500 for 2-3 years until a new QB becomes a good NFL QB.

I don't see that happening.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Redskins are under new management.    Scott McGloughlin (sp?) took over last year and did a great job his first year.      I don't see him trading away a proven QB just so that he can take the best QB in a very poor year for QB's which would set the franchise back likely 2-3 years.       Not sure the DC fan base wants to cheer a sub-500 for 2-3 years until a new QB becomes a good NFL QB.

I don't see that happening.

I agree with your logic. The problem seems to be that Washington doesn't. For whatever reason, they're very noncommittal about Cousins.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I agree with your logic. The problem seems to be that Washington doesn't. For whatever reason, they're very noncommittal about Cousins.

You may be right,  but I'm not sure we're there quite yet.     I think this one may go down to the wire.

I'm not aware of any media type at either ESPN or NFL.com that has embraced the idea of trading away Cousins to start over at the QB position.    You're going to give up your starting QB who should continue to improve over a difference of 2-4 mill per year or 15-25 mill over the length of the contract?     I'm a price sensitive buyer,  but when it's the QB position,  and the player has the leverage in this case,   I'm not sure the Redskins have a choice?

Just thinking out loud here.....

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You may be right,  but I'm not sure we're there quite yet.     I think this one may go down to the wire.

I'm not aware of any media type at either ESPN or NFL.com that has embraced the idea of trading away Cousins to start over at the QB position.    You're going to give up your starting QB who should continue to improve over a difference of 2-4 mill per year or 15-25 mill over the length of the contract?     I'm a price sensitive buyer,  but when it's the QB position,  and the player has the leverage in this case,   I'm not sure the Redskins have a choice?

Just thinking out loud here.....

Yes, there's definitely still time. But the two sides seem to be at a stalemate. Cousins wants to be paid like a top five QB, and Washington doesn't seem willing. I don't know whether they're not thrilled with him as their QB or if they like him but not at his asking price, but something is clearly keeping them apart, for over a year now. 

Meanwhile, the Niners have a ton of cap space, they have attractive draft picks, and they have a coach that likes and has history with Cousins. Even if Washington isn't eager to move him, could the Niners put together an offer that convinces Washington to move on? 

You asked if Washington has a choice. They have three, the way I see it. 1) Pay the man, which they haven't done yet, and seem to be reluctant to do. 2) Tag him again -- $24m this time -- and play it out for one more year, which seems to be the most likely option at this point. 3) Consider a trade with the Niners, which would probably bring considerable draft assets, but leave Washington without a starting QB. 

There remains the possibility that I'm looking at this the wrong way. Two insiders think Cousins is the hold up: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/02/27/the-redskins-have-already-botched-the-kirk-cousins-contract/?utm_term=.4aef326d8962 

Long story short, they say it does Cousins no good to take an offer prior to March 2, no matter what the offer is. Either Washington tags him, then they can go back in to negotiate, or Washington lets him walk, and he can test the market as a healthy FA franchise-level QB, which is pretty much unprecedented. Interesting viewpoint. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Indy should not be overspending for an average pass rusher anyways so if they went hard after Perry it'd be a mistake in my opinion. Spend the money on an elite RG like Zeitler instead who will possibly cost less than Perry due to position. 

I agree would rather bring Walden back at a number that works!! At least we know what we get with him!

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

A bottom ranked defense?

Yey!! 

I think for the right price he will be fine so long as we surround him with some talent. He usually gives us 1 solid play a game (a big 3rd down stop, a sack when we really need it, etc). If we have a team around him, he wont be relied on to make more than that 1 play a game. Not gonna pay him big money to stay, but for what he cost in 2016 i'd seriously consider giving him a short 1-2 yr contract. Of course, it all depends who else is available. If we can upgrade him, we should. 

We could possibly get both Perry and an under the radar guy like John Simon for as much as it would have cost cor Ingram. Perry is more of a SAM but he's a very vry good SAM. Graded out excellent against the run and still had 11 sacks with a broken hand. Have to bring in a NT now too with David Parry's recent arrest.

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

We could possibly get both Perry and an under the radar guy like John Simon for as much as it would have cost cor Ingram. Perry is more of a SAM but he's a very vry good SAM. Graded out excellent against the run and still had 11 sacks with a broken hand. Have to bring in a NT now too with David Parry's recent arrest.

Wow, posted at same time...lol

20 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We have the money to outbid for Perry. Even if we have to give him 10 mill more than the next team. He's legit. He'd be a great signing. Throw buckets of money at him at watch him give us 12 or 15 sacks next year oppo Williams/Charlton/Takk.

The guy has had one pretty good year 

This is not surprising.  I had said I would be surprised if he DID get out of SD.  I think, for the most part, most of these "elite" type guys are going to stay put.  And if they do get out you have to wonder why.  I would not look for much help in FA.  It's the draft where we are going to have to make our hay.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

That's the thing about hitting free agency at a later age. Freeman spent time in the CFL and was 30 when he hit the market. Ingram will be 28. It will probably cost him a lot of money. On the other hand, if he has an outstanding season, he can still get a big pay day next year. And we're assuming the Chargers don't give him an extension now (although I think that's a safe assumption at this point). 

Right, and now Ingram will be 29 hitting the open market next year.  Certainly still viable for a big contract if he has another 8+ sack year, but harder to see him being the guy that sets the market like he would have been this year....and that could easily cost him guaranteed money.  It just doesn't seem like free agents past age 28 get quite the same deals... Of course, he'll have a stack of cash from this year to add to it, and that should help ease his burden....

The more I think about it the more I think they are hoping someone signs him to an offer sheet.  They have little cap space with other decisions and needs to think about.  Getting two 1st. rd. picks is what they might be hoping for but it is a steep price.  Now that he is tagged they could settle for one no.1 pick in a trade. Who knows maybe a future no.1   At the end of the day there is the possibility he could still be on the move in a trade. 

11 hours ago, BOTT said:

The guy has had one pretty good year 

Have you watched him a lot though?  If you have you'd know he's starting to tap into his enormous potential. Definition of an ascending player. He started showing flashes year before this one, but came out this year and was just a force and would've had probably 15 sacks if it weren't for injuries. He'll play his best football on this contract bet on it.