JPPT1974

Oscars 2017

37 posts in this topic

For those who plan to watch the Oscars here is a forum that goes on in here. Enjoy!

1 person likes this

Predictions:

Best Picture - Moonlight

Best Director - Damien Chazelle

Best Actor - Denzel Washington

Best Actress - Emma Stone

Best Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali

Best Supporting Actress - Viola Davis

Best Animated Film - Zootopia

3 people like this

MTC you are one for one now over in the Supporting Actor category!

12 hours ago, MTC said:

Predictions:

Best Picture - Moonlight

Not sure about your Best Picture prediction

14 hours ago, MTC said:

Predictions:

Best Picture - Moonlight

So far I'm 3 for 3. 

1 person likes this

Did everyone/anyone hear about the mixup the Red Carpet host from People had calling the movie Hidden Pictures "Hidden Fences"

Has George Clooney moved to Canada yet? He said he would after the election. Just asking. Jake Arrieta even offered to help him pack :thmup:

4 people like this

Sounds like the Oscars had a Steve Harvey moment 

1 person likes this

At least they handled it better than how Steve Harvey did...............

1 person likes this

MTC except for best actor, you got them all! Ever best pic!

I think Hacksaw Ridge should have got more love 

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, MTC said:

Predictions:

Best Picture - Moonlight

That's amazing! You nearly got all right. 

Well since no one has mentioned it, that was QUITE the gaffe at the end last night for Best Picture. I have NO idea how the wrong envelope gets up there, especially when it's the last category. It couldn't have been best sound, best makeup, or best foreign film, it HAD to be best picture. WOW.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I thought Steve handled it pretty well.   

I don't watch award shows.   Never really understood the fascination.  

3 people like this

No one should blame Warren Beaty for the Best Picture screwup. Someone handed him the wrong card. 

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, MTC said:

No one should blame Warren Beaty for the Best Picture screwup. Someone handed him the wrong card. 

It was pwc's fault for having two sets of envelopes and not tracking which ones are being handed out. They had a partner on each side of the stage hand an envelope out. Whoever does not hand out the envelope should be discarding the duplicate. It makes no sense how that can be screwed up, especially the last award of the night when there is presumably no more envelopes to hand out. I work on the Heisman and our procedures are ironclad, granted there is only one possible name on the envelope when we hand it over but our services in tabulating votes and providing the results are similar. In terms of providing that service I know what goes into something like that and it's inexcusable what they did and I wouldn't be surprised if they were fired after 90 years.

As a competitor, my colleagues and I are laughing today, as well as a few friends that work for pwc. It's literally the Colts fake punt, the Falcon's collapse, or the Seahawk's goal line pass in terms of what they are known for now to non-accountants. When you take the briefcase on a tour across the country and tweeting hardcore about it and handling a briefcase with white gloves like it's the Stanley Cup, we are going to pile it on pretty hard when it blows up in your face after you mess up that badly. 

I don't like what the Oscars have become lately (too political), so I'm getting a kick out of seeing this thing happen. Probably not very nice of me, but it's how I feel.

3 people like this

20 hours ago, bababooey said:

It was pwc's fault for having two sets of envelopes and not tracking which ones are being handed out. They had a partner on each side of the stage hand an envelope out. Whoever does not hand out the envelope should be discarding the duplicate. It makes no sense how that can be screwed up, especially the last award of the night when there is presumably no more envelopes to hand out. I work on the Heisman and our procedures are ironclad, granted there is only one possible name on the envelope when we hand it over but our services in tabulating votes and providing the results are similar. In terms of providing that service I know what goes into something like that and it's inexcusable what they did and I wouldn't be surprised if they were fired after 90 years.

As a competitor, my colleagues and I are laughing today, as well as a few friends that work for pwc. It's literally the Colts fake punt, the Falcon's collapse, or the Seahawk's goal line pass in terms of what they are known for now to non-accountants. When you take the briefcase on a tour across the country and tweeting hardcore about it and handling a briefcase with white gloves like it's the Stanley Cup, we are going to pile it on pretty hard when it blows up in your face after you mess up that badly. 

I didn't watch the Oscars but seen the goof up. I thought it was hilarious.

1 person likes this

It is going to be one mix up and blooper for the ages that the Oscars want to forget. But it is huge over on social media.

2 people like this

Now the two people that worked over on the envelopes won't get invited back in 2018. Paying of consequences.

12 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Now the two people that worked over on the envelopes won't get invited back in 2018. Paying of consequences.

It sucks for her because it was his fault for tweeting when he was told not to. The firm should be fired, it's not like it makes any money anyway. My firm already does the grammys and the Heisman so I'm sure the other 3 Big 4 firms have RFP's drafted and just waiting for them to announce they fired pwc.

1 person likes this

On 2/28/2017 at 10:41 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I didn't watch the Oscars but seen the goof up. I thought it was hilarious.

It's hilarious because of how they use this as a recruiting tool, how they tour the briefcase across the country in the different offices, and how they get a ton of publicity for this. They pride themselves on having this account and then they messed up the most pivotal moment in the biggest award show of the year. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, MTC said:

Banned from the Oscars, that's amazing. He was told not to tweet while working and he did it as he messed up then they just stood there watching it unfold instead of doing any damage control. PWC is still retained at the moment but wouldn't be surprised if they are dropped. The partners still work for PWC but this is pretty embarrassing. My firm has the RFP drawn up for when we hear that they get fired altogether.

2 people like this

I find it amusing how people think this was a bigger deal than it was.

1 person likes this

I did chuckle pretty good when Jimmy Kimmel said something to the effect that's it's nice to see black women save NASA & white people save jazz. I enjoy sarcastic, next level humor like that in monologues. See, it's funny cause Emma Stone in LA LA Land isn't say Louie Armstrong or Miles Davis & females of color rarely get praised publicly for winning the space race vs the Russians back in the day. 

The best line recently I heard was stated by Martin Short on Late Night TBS on Conan. He said & I quote "My favorite film by far was 'Hidden Figures' the story of Donald Trump's missing tax returns." Bah! Ha! Ha! 

Later in the show when Conan asked Martin, "What's it like working with fellow comedian Steve Martin on stage night after night?" He replied, "It's like the movie 'Deliverance' It's all fun & games until the banjos come out." :lol:

When I first saw actor Warren Beatty state that LA LA Land won Best Picture & later say Moonlight was the true winner in the final winner of the night; I honestly thought Warren needed to schedule any eye opponent with his optometrist immediately the following morning. It never even occurred to me that he was handed the wrong envelope with the wrong card in it. 

I just figured that since the Oscars are the Super Bowl of global movie magic & entertainment that the powers that be in charge of the show would triple check everything severals hours before hand with like an X-ray machine or something. 

Can you imagine giving an acceptance speech & then have the golden statue taken away from you? "I'd like to thank the Academy, my wife, my kids, my agent, my peers...Wait, say what now? You have got to be joking." 

I do feel bad for the cast of Moonlight though because 3 yrs from now no one will remember that that film actually won any hardware. All they will remember is Warren reading the wrong name on the card. It's like an afterthought that Moonlight won the most acclaimed award of the night. 

On February 28, 2017 at 9:37 AM, teganslaw said:

I don't like what the Oscars have become lately (too political), so I'm getting a kick out of seeing this thing happen. Probably not very nice of me, but it's how I feel.

That's ironic my friend because I'm just the opposite. The oscars is the perfect platform to be heard round the world & make a lasting statement that creates symbolic ripples in a pond.

To each their own. I guess. 

1 person likes this

On March 2, 2017 at 3:47 PM, MTC said:

I realize that this was a rather large blunder on international television & all & I realize a harsh example had to be set. I just feel bad when folks get fired. If anything, this move will guarantee the value in paying attention to details at subsequent academy awards ceremonies I suppose. 

On February 26, 2017 at 11:26 PM, NorthernBlue said:

Actually no, that's not true because Steve Harvey admitted he make a mistake reading the incorrect name much faster than the academy ever did. It was like 5 minutes or more before the right best picture was announced on stage. 

Steve Harvey owned up to his own beauty pageant blunder almost immediately after making it. 

On February 27, 2017 at 9:00 AM, Myles said:

I thought Steve handled it pretty well.   

Well said Myles. I really respected Steve for doing that. He took responsibility for it completely & refused to throw anyone else under the bus. He did what the situation warranted all by himself & faced the backlash openly. Not easy to handle. That level of scrutiny & criticism. Bravo! 

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I realize that this was a rather large blunder on international television & all & I realize a harsh example had to be set. I just feel bad when folks get fired. If anything, this move will guarantee the value in paying attention to details at subsequent academy awards ceremonies I suppose. 

I think MTC read that incorrectly.  They were not fired. Those two will no longer be invited to participate in Oscars events but they still work for the firm.

According to the article: 

"A PwC spokesperson said both Cullinan and Ruiz are still partners in the firm."

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Actually no, that's not true because Steve Harvey admitted he make a mistake reading the incorrect name much faster than the academy ever did. It was like 5 minutes or more before the right best picture was announced on stage. 

Steve Harvey owned up to his own beauty pageant blunder almost immediately after making it. 

That's true, but I guess collectively, it was a lot less awkward than the beauty pageant thing. A lot of that I guess has to go to La La Land's director who seemed very upbeat and humble about the whole thing. 

That part in the pageant where they put the crown thingy from the one girl to the other was so cringy and uncomfortable to watch haha.

1 person likes this