Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Your worst move in Fantasy Football?

If you guys have any good stories about bad moves you made this year, I'd like to hear 'em.

I need to make myself feel better.

I traded away DeMarco Murray for A.J. Green halfway through the season, and thought I had just made the blockbuster trade of the season.  I had Derrick Henry on my bench, and figured Old Man DeMarco Murray would get injured, and then I'd have the #1 WR and the #1 RBs' backup, and I would be on my merry way to the SB... right?

Instead, I watched A.J. Green get injured THAT WEEK, and lost him for the season.  I just traded for the #1 WR in fantasy, and got exactly ZERO points from him... Ok, maybe like 2 points, but still... Meanwhile, I have to keep Derrick Henry on my bench because, not only did Young Man DeMarco Murray not get injured, I had to watch him lead his team to a SB victory.  That's right, the team I traded him to went on to win the SB... where he beat... you guessed it... ME.

:(:angry::thmdown::facepalm::Cry::grumpy2::scorebad::flaming::hissy::censored::tvsmash::wall::argh::explode::hairout::pcsmash::Nuke:

I was watching the jets vs Seahawks game week 3 I think. Ryan Fitzpatrick threw 5 interceptions but got the ball back one more time. One of my friends said "I'll bet you ryan fitzpatrick's next pass will be an interception." Then I said " I'll bet you Jordy Nelson for AJ Green". We shook on it then two plays later Fitz threw his 6th pick to Richard Sherman I think. In my head I thought there was no way Fitz would throw another pick haha. Anyways, I gave him Jordy but ended up trading him back for Ajayi when Ajayi was hot and Jordy had a 3 week slump. Finished the season 16-0 thanks to Jordy 

Draft Adrian Peterson in round 1 and Arian Foster in round 5 with one of them going down in week 2 and the other one retiring leaving me empty handed. That was last year, my worst draft in my FF history recently.

The other worst trading move was it was thanksgiving and I received a trade proposal for my QB Brees for Romo. I was in a rush, heading out for a late thanksgiving dinner and I was obviously not thinking and clicked "Accept". Romo goes on IR vs the Panthers that very night after the thanksgiving game. A few weeks later, I lose my championship game because my opponent Bortles, playing the Saints, beats me with a garbage TD for about a 7 point difference and me knowing that having Brees would have won me the championship game even with OBJ on suspension for his Josh Norman fracas.

That experience has pretty much led me to becoming trade averse in the future for the most part.

I am a 2 time champ, a one time runner up, and a two time sacko. I've never had back to back winning or losing seasons so I constantly yo-yo and it's because of my first two picks. 12 team league:

2012 - Runner up

Round 1: Arian Foster - 1st overall

Round 2: AP off of ACL surgery/got Brandon Marshall 1 pick later

2013 - Last Place - thought I could grab that RB-RB combo magic again

Round 1: CJ Spiller - 8th pick I think

Round 2: Fred Jackson

2014 - Champion

Round 1: Matt Forte - 5th pick

Round 2: Antonio Brown

2015 - Last Place

Round 1: Eddy Lacy - 5th pick I think

Round 2: Andrew Luck

2016 - Champion

Round 1: David Johnson - 4th pick (went into this draft for weeks debating Hopkins or Green bc Brown, OBJ, and Jones would be gone after the first 3 and I was afraid of RBs after Lacy screwed me. All my mock drafts were just OK but I noticed the value I was losing if I stocked up on WRs first in spots where I didn't think they deserved it, and changed my mind right before the draft)

Round 2: Jordy Nelson

If you don't nail your first two picks you're absolute toast.

On 2/24/2017 at 3:19 PM, chad72 said:

Draft Adrian Peterson in round 1 and Arian Foster in round 5 with one of them going down in week 2 and the other one retiring leaving me empty handed. That was last year, my worst draft in my FF history recently.

The other worst trading move was it was thanksgiving and I received a trade proposal for my QB Brees for Romo. I was in a rush, heading out for a late thanksgiving dinner and I was obviously not thinking and clicked "Accept". Romo goes on IR vs the Panthers that very night after the thanksgiving game. A few weeks later, I lose my championship game because my opponent Bortles, playing the Saints, beats me with a garbage TD for about a 7 point difference and me knowing that having Brees would have won me the championship game even with OBJ on suspension for his Josh Norman fracas.

That experience has pretty much led me to becoming trade averse in the future for the most part.

I should add that Adrian Peterson was my first pick (#3) in this draft, which was my 3rd worst move in fantasy football.  The fact that I made it to the SB at all, after drafting AP #3, and trading DeMarco Murray for AJ Green, is a miracle.

Also, the guy that traded AJ Green to me said he did the same thing as you chad72, accidentally hit accept, and wanted to cancel the trade... I had the chance to undo it... and I didn't. 4th worst move... :(

Just to clarify, my bad moves this year aren't even my #1 worst move in fantasy.

In 2011, when Peyton Manning was still The Man, I drafted him in the 1st round of all of my drafts.  The strategy had worked before: draft Manning, then RBs, then all of Mannings' pass-catchers and then everything else.  I won multiple SBs over the years with Manning as The Man.

At the end of the preseason, guess what news came out?  My first round pick in EVERY draft was undergoing neck surgery, and would miss the entire season.  Also, all those Colts pass-catchers I drafted just became worthless.

2011 is the only year I didn't even make it to the playoffs in a single league.  That is still, to this day, why I wait until the final week of the preseason to draft.

• 3 months later...