Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Barnwell: 5 moves for each AFC South Team

bababooey

10 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

All are good suggestions, my list would go as follows:

... 4) Off-field issues aside, I'm hoping for Mixon in the 3rd or 4th round ...

In 2014, before he played his first game of football he was involved in a misguided altercation where he was assaulted by a woman and he in turn assaulted her back with one punch.

So my question is, off field "issues"?  Has there been more than one issue, other than the one pre-college debut incident from back in 2014?

57 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

In 2014, before he played his first game of football he was involved in a misguided altercation where he was assaulted by a woman and he in turn assaulted her back with one punch.

So my question is, off field "issues"?  Has there been more than one issue, other than the one pre-college debut incident from back in 2014?

For what its worth he was suspended for a separate issue in 2016. 

http://kfor.com/2016/11/04/documents-detail-altercation-between-ous-joe-mixon-and-parking-attendant/

I think the sportswriter is too acclimated to see other RB's perform to non-Colts standards. To me, Frank Gore has been one of the best RB's we've had in a long time. He's a breathe of fresh air from Trent "Rolling Ball of Butter Knives" Richardson.

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

That's the one, & most analysts are projecting him to drop to the 3rd or 4th round as a result of that incident. It seems to me like it was an isolated incident, which is why I'm advocating taking him in the first place.

8 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

For what its worth he was suspended for a separate issue in 2016. 

http://kfor.com/2016/11/04/documents-detail-altercation-between-ous-joe-mixon-and-parking-attendant/

I was not aware of this incident.  Thanks for the info.  

That there is another incident, that is now much more concerning, especially with it being so recent.  It seems to indicate that he remains easily provoked.  Possible soon to be star, rich NFL players cannot allow themselves to be so provoked by such minor things and cannot be so stupid as to put themselves in situations where they might face provocation.  

A disappointing turns of events, that there's a second incident. 

5 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

That there is another incident, that is now much more concerning, especially with it being so recent.  It seems to indicate that he remains easily provoked.  Possible soon to be star, rich NFL players cannot allow hemselves to be so provoked by such minor things and cannot be so stupid as to put themselves in situations where they might face provocation.  

Agreed. It was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me. The kid knows hes got to be perfectly clean to fix the negative image he has and he pulls a bonehead move like that right before he is home free. Shows a lack of control and maturity that is only going to get worse when he has money and fame. Its not like being an NFL player is humbling. 

Im all for second chances, but you have to at least show that you've learned from your mistakes before you earn the right to one. 

6 hours ago, rockywoj said:

That there is another incident, that is now much more concerning, especially with it being so recent.  It seems to indicate that he remains easily provoked.  Possible soon to be star, rich NFL players cannot allow themselves to be so provoked by such minor things and cannot be so stupid as to put themselves in situations where they might face provocation.  

5 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Agreed. It was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me. The kid knows hes got to be perfectly clean to fix the negative image he has and he pulls a bonehead move like that right before he is home free. Shows a lack of control and maturity that is only going to get worse when he has money and fame. Its not like being an NFL player is humbling. 

Im all for second chances, but you have to at least show that you've learned from your mistakes before you earn the right to one. 

FWIW, I saw this today... 10 scouting rules. #1 is directly correlated to players like Mixon:

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

FWIW, I saw this today... 10 scouting rules. #1 is directly correlated to players like Mixon:

I guess it really depends on your interpretation of "crappy people". I tend to take it more as just personality wise, like the Richard Shermans and OBJs of the league. People that are self absorbed, cocky, disrespectful, showboating attitudes, only in for the money, etc. (not saying Sherman and OBJ are all of these things, just examples of what would be covered). The type of players who only get away with what they get away with because they are at the top of their game. A lot of that stuff comes with the "swagger" of being good players, but they definitely arent traits that you look for in the people you would hang out with, or ask to be your room mate.  

i dunno maybe its just me, but I just cant see Rule #1 of Scouting being "Ignore arrests and suspensions". 

17 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I guess it really depends on your interpretation of "crappy people". I tend to take it more as just personality wise, like the Richard Shermans and OBJs of the league. People that are self absorbed, cocky, disrespectful, showboating attitudes, only in for the money, etc. (not saying Sherman and OBJ are all of these things, just examples of what would be covered). The type of players who only get away with what they get away with because they are at the top of their game. A lot of that stuff comes with the "swagger" of being good players, but they definitely arent traits that you look for in the people you would hang out with, or ask to be your room mate.  

i dunno maybe its just me, but I just cant see Rule #1 of Scouting being "Ignore arrests and suspensions".

Definitely don't ignore them, but a guy with talent like that is going to get his chance in the NFL from somebody, and will likely have success, so I'm fine with the Colts taking him, as long is they're not investing a 1st or 2nd round pick on him.

41 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Definitely don't ignore them, but a guy with talent like that is going to get his chance in the NFL from somebody, and will likely have success, so I'm fine with the Colts taking him, as long is they're not investing a 1st or 2nd round pick on him.

Chalk it up to my own personal standards, but i believe second chances need to be earned, not just handed out. If you cant prove that you're a better person then you didn't really learn anything and it will happen again. Its the difference between rehabilitation and recidivism. 

Talent means nothing if hes suspended or cut for doing something stupid again.

Ultimately if CB picks him, im not going to boycott the team or anything. I know that the scouting team will do their due diligence and have a better understanding of his situation then I do as an outsider and I will be cautiously optimistic about the decision. But given the information that I currently have, there is no way I would even consider making that call. 

I get that some people are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately I am not. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. 

8 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

And that bolded part is really the bigger concern.  Knowing he has to keep clean because of strike number one, then leading into his final year, when his draft position is made or broken based on his performance ... AND in continuing to rehab his "image", then he shows such a lack of control and awareness in how to conduct his personal life ... this is indeed a really big concern.  Falter in the pros and he's only a couple of suspensions or so from being out of the game and chalked down to being a wasted pick.

Based on what I now know, I would be quite hesitant to use anything more than a 4th round pick on him.  Late round, well, no big investment lost, but a high pick, I am looking for guys that can reliably help the team, not boom or bust possible headaches.  Mid to late round, yeah, I might still take a flier is he interviews okay, but sheesh, talk about red flags heading into what might be considered THE most important phase of his life.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

(That being said, when I was in 4th year uni, I ripped up a parking ticket in the parking office that I felt was unjust.  I like to think I turned out okay, though.  I wasn't some sports star on the verge of the big-time, though, where my every move is being watched, with me having an already bad reputation that needs to be fixed.)

On 2/22/2017 at 6:14 PM, COLTS449 said:

Cut Jones for sure unless he takes a huge pay cut and saves us just as much in cap room than it would to outright release him, and offer up a 17 3 and a 4, and an 18 4, for Richardson. Or would it be wiser to sign Calais Campbell who's still a super star.

I would prefer Campbell over Richardson due to off-field stuff, but I think it would be a waste of money to go after Richardson or Campbell.  I think DE is the only real strength of our defense with Langford and Anderson.  FA money would be better spent on a G or T on offense, or a good pass rusher or CB2 on defense.

The draft can get us a RB, some LBs, and even DE for cheaper than FA.

7 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I would prefer Campbell over Richardson due to off-field stuff, but I think it would be a waste of money to go after Richardson or Campbell.  I think DE is the only real strength of our defense with Langford and Anderson.  FA money would be better spent on a G or T on offense, or a good pass rusher or CB2 on defense.

The draft can get us a RB, some LBs, and even DE for cheaper than FA.

I think we have a few more strength than just DE.     Vontae is still a great CB and Geathers is very good and going to continue to get better. If they sign Butler to play safety I would argue that Safety would be out biggest strength on the team.  And I think people overlook Ridgeway.   This kid is going to be good.