Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 7 round mock by usatoday

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is giving us a MASH unit with potential upside :) 

I just don't think we will be taking as many risks with players coming off injuries. I am fine with the RB and OLB pick but not a big fan of the secondary picks, that is just me. I love the ILB pick as well.

I think Cook is the best RB, and possibly the best offensive player in the draft. Just not for the Colts. 

Lawson is nice in the 2nd as a boom or bust guy. The 4th round is my favorite. Moreau and Beckwith are two guys Ilike in the middle rounds. 

I could easily get down with this draft 1st round would depend who's off the board by our pick but the rest I like. Surprising USA today realized were a man corner system. Not big on Beckwith and would rather go else where with our 3rd round pick but if we have a decent FA that fills some holes then I'd be happy

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Not a big fan of this draft.

Two of the first three picks are on offense.     That sours me right there.

And the first pick in the 4th round,  Moreau,  I don't think he lasts that long.      I hope the Colts grab him in the 2nd,  certainly no later than the 3rd.       I just don't see him going to anyone in the 4th.      At least,   not at this point.

Also not sure that Glasgow lasts until the middle of the 5th round. 

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

He is giving us a MASH unit with potential upside :) 

I just don't think we will be taking as many risks with players coming off injuries. I am fine with the RB and OLB pick but not a big fan of the secondary picks, that is just me. I love the ILB pick as well.

A lot of these players would fit right in with past Colt rosters. Too many previously injured players on this list for me to get excited about.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Tell me. If foster, Barrett, Thomas, taco, and hooker are all gone who would you take?

I hope all the EDGE guys aren't all gone. We sure need one. I also don't like taking the OL in the third. I'd rather see an ILB or CB taken there if one is deserving of a 3rd round pick.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Tell me. If foster, Barrett, Thomas, taco, and hooker are all gone who would you take?

depends on who else is left on the board....... but an RB in the middle of the first when you desperately need D is a Grigson type move. Granted, it all depends on who's on the board at that time.  

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

depends on who else is left on the board....... but an RB in the middle of the first when you desperately need D is a Grigson type move. Granted, it all depends on who's on the board at that time.  

That's the thing though, if we preach BPA why can't it be a rb? Do you honestly think Barret is BPA? Because I sure don't. He doesn't impress me.

35 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That's the thing though, if we preach BPA why can't it be a rb? Do you honestly think Barret is BPA? Because I sure don't. He doesn't impress me.

Best player available for the position(s) needed.  A RB isn't gonna fix our defense.

23 hours ago, aaron11 said:

defense wont fix our twenty third ranked rushing game

true, but running the ball more per game will help.  if you take out Luck's 64 rushing attempts, the colts are near dead last in terms of rushing attempts per game.  the problem is they simply gave up on it too often.

The only defensive player taken in the first 3 rounds is an overdrafted situational rusher?

I get that Dalvin is good, but he's not what we need right now. At best he's a luxury pick for us. We need to boss FA before I'm comfortable taking him at #14.

Lawson is a situational guy right now. I don't see his ceiling as being very high.

At least 2 of our top 3 picks need to be defense right now.

20 hours ago, Jason_S said:

true, but running the ball more per game will help.  if you take out Luck's 64 rushing attempts, the colts are near dead last in terms of rushing attempts per game.  the problem is they simply gave up on it too often.

well thats the issue with having a 33 year old as our lead RB

he makes some plays, but the snap count they have him on keeps him from taking over games the way other backs do

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

well thats the issue with having a 33 year old as our lead RB

he makes some plays, but the snap count they have him on keeps him from taking over games the way other backs do

Yes, Gore is the lead back, but we have other RBs that could still get the job done.  none of them are game breakers, mind you, but I have little doubt that Turbin could put up similar production if given more carries. 

I don't love it, but it's not a horrible mock. Indy should do more for the D in the first 3 rounds. 

That being said, I really like Lawson as an NFL prospect. If not for injury concerns, I'd be happy with him in the 1st, but I'd be skittish about it right now. 

Not a fan of taking a 3rd round OL in this draft, with who we have on the roster... If we upgrade on the right side of the O-Line, I'd prefer it to be in FA. I'd think differently if I thought there were upgrades to be had outside of the first round, but this year I don't see it. 

It's hard to judge a mock before the combine and without knowing what FAs we will bring in... With the right FA period, this mock could look a lot better.

2 of the highest paid positions in the NFL are DE/OLB and CB.   That is why you need to draft them so you dont have to pay a premium in FA.     I would love to see the best CB available taken at #14. This is a huge need on this team and it instantly helps the pass rush situation.   This is a deep defensive draft IMO.   We could see pass rushers that could start taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds this yr.   Cook could be a real game changer for the offense.  Edgerine James was probably the biggest reason Peyton started out so well IMO.  I miss that guy more than any other Colt.... Not my favorite.  That is Reggie. But... I would not at all hate taking Cook if they think they can get a shutdown corner and pass rush in the 2nd and 3rd.   

On 2/23/2017 at 8:36 PM, Luck 4 president said:

Maybe our running game was ranked 23rd because our defense sucked and we were always playing from behind forcing us to conserve the clock and throw the ball more 

maybe a better running game could help keep the defense off of the field

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

and that starts with the offensive line and play calling.  

the line is not the problem if gore can get 4 ypc

the problem is his snap count means the coaches will never give him 20 carries a game no matter what happens out there.  we need another RB to fix that

4 hours ago, aaron11 said:

the line is not the problem if gore can get 4 ypc

the problem is his snap count means the coaches will never give him 20 carries a game no matter what happens out there.  we need another RB to fix that

The line is still a problem until it's performing at a much higher level.

It ended the year performing at an acceptable level,  but it can still get a LOT better.     And I expect it to.

I'll be surprised and disappointed if, after one more year,  our line is not graded out as a top-8 OL.

Top 25% in the league is my goal for for the o-line in 2018. 

On 2/21/2017 at 8:02 AM, CR91 said:

Hasaan Reddick, Quincy Wilson, Tim Williams depending on how he runs/interviews, or trade back even. Dalvin Cook is very good but Im falling off the "special" bandwagon, he's a great athlete with good vision, but does not have make you miss qualities you like to see out of a smaller back. Fumbles and pass protection are both issues. He's a RB that needs an elite o-line to be at his fullest potential and we dont have that yet

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The line is still a problem until it's performing at a much higher level.

It ended the year performing at an acceptable level,  but it can still get a LOT better.     And I expect it to.

I'll be surprised and disappointed if, after one more year,  our line is not graded out as a top-8 OL.

Top 25% in the league is my goal for for the o-line in 2018. 

Do you see that from what we have now? Or after adding a peace? One more quality player and I can see that happening, specifically if we could acquire a nice LT in FA, and move Costanzo to RT where he's most likely more natural. He's a great run blocker, but isn't consistent enough in pass blocking to be your blind side guy.