Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay sounds pumped up!

RockThatBlue

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Andrew Luck 25-0 in his career when our Defense holds team below 20 points. We get a Defense we will be tough to beat. It may take a couple of years though but now that we have Ballard instead of Grigson my patience has become better.

is that stat for real? I like that

I dont think it will take all that long to build a competent defense if the right things are done in FA this off season and we pick up some solid draft picks. There was a number of games last year where the D only gave up around 21 points for most of the game. We either let the team back in the game or the offense had turnovers that resulted in scores by the other team. Tighten that defense up just a couple notches and I'm confident we will do better than last year. That and making the running game more a consistent and reliable staple of the offense.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I dont think it will take all that long to build a competent defense if the right things are done in FA this off season and we pick up some solid draft picks. There was a number of games last year where the D only gave up around 21 points for most of the game. We either let the team back in the game or the offense had turnovers that resulted in scores by the other team. Tighten that defense up just a couple notches and I'm confident we will do better than last year. That and making the running game more a consistent and reliable staple of the offense.

Our Salary Cap situation is pretty good so maybe we can land 1 or 2 impact Defensive players and also Draft 1 or 2 good players too.

16 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I will be curious to see what Pagano does with this team without Grigson around and Ballard here to actually bring in some defensive talent.

I don't quite see Pagano as the HC to lead this team to a championship, but I'll be interested to see what he does next season.

If you recall Pagano took this team to three 11-5 seasons when he first came to the Colts. He might have done his best coaching job going 8-8 without Luck and 4 other QBs in his 4th year. IMO Pagano's lack of play makers to work with last season was not on his shoulders.

I have no clue as to what the future will bring but Pagano's hands were tied with players that Grigson brought in.

He does have a few up and coming players so I guess we will all just sit back and see.

Under all the negative things that this team has been through his record is still 49-23 in regular season.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Our Salary Cap situation is pretty good so maybe we can land 1 or 2 impact Defensive players and also Draft 1 or 2 good players too.

I think our draft position is great. There's enough great players in this draft to get 3-4 impactful players to me. Looks like we may have gotten at least 4 out of the last draft if Clark pans out. Which I think he will. TJ may improve so it could potentially be 5 between Kelly, Clark, Haeg, Ridgeway, Green. If the team is okay with keeping a two down run stuffer on the roster for running downs, then maybe even 6 with Morrison. For right now I say we got 4-5 solid players out of the last draft. If we get some really high impact players with the first 3 picks in this years draft along with a couple other solid guys we will be headed in the right direction.

Yeah the one thing that the Grigson firing did for me is increase my patience. I wasn't hopeless, but I was getting close to not believing in Pagano or Girgson at all. I still think they should move on from Pagano, but I'm more than willing to give him a chance without Grigson lurking in the shadows and with some (hopefully) improved talent on the defense. Am excited to see how Chris Ballard will run this team too. Probably the most excited about the future of this team since Luck first got drafted.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we had a Defense that gave up 19.9 points a game which isn't historically great, game over! Luck has never lost when our Defense has held teams to below 20. I actually just went back and looked at our seasons and it's true.

That's why the Chris Ballard hire is so guniess to me. This is what he's been preparing for when he was in Chicago and then KC. Those teams built around fantastic D's. Now the man has a great O, he just has to do what he does best and build that D

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

I knew the first minute of CBs press conference that he would hit it off with Pagano.  That doesn't mean he wouldn't fire him, but personality wise they mesh well.

It brings a whole different atmosphere to the team. We have our Franchise QB and a fantastic WR (TY), + a growing O.Line led by Kelly that got better late in the season. Now build the Defense. I do still want an explosive RB if we can get lucky and land one. Hunt and Forman both look promising there in perhaps Round 3? With the first 2 picks I would still go Defense with maybe Takk and then Lawson if he's there - that gives up 2 options for landing a solid Pass Rusher if one doesn't work out.

18 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Let's just hope Ballard doesn't give Pagano too much say in the draft room after his misses on wanting DJoun Smith and now Green. 

I understand your point but bringing up 2 players out of the 270 plus players that have been in camp the last three years is nit picking IMO.

It has already been said that Ballard and Pagano will be working together in the draft.

We don't really know how much influence Pagano had on the players that were brought in when Grigson was drafting but that might have been some of the problems that Pagano and Grigson had with each other?

5 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Which makes it all the more unbelievable why we didn't make the playoffs last year when a team who had an injured defensive MVP and their starting QB getting benched got there...

Combine Pagano with Injuries and our leading tackler suspended, a confluence of doom.

I will give Pagano a chance since reading the stat on Grigson how few DB's and LB's he has drafted. You can't do much with a defense if you don't add to where you have a dearth of talent, and Grigson would not do it. I never understood the reluctance to take a CB in the 1st or 2nd when it was so evident we needed one. I think Ballard will do a good job with the defense, and I also like that it was he who went and talked to Peters and then his family and cleared the draft choice, and look how he turned out. I want someone who can scout the physical and psychological factor that affects many of these picks.

The one thing I will say on the offense, is we need another play maker. Montcrief did not make the move many anticipated, so we are going to need a RB or another receiver. TY is great, but I see him more as a 2, unless you have a great RB they need to focus on. I believe the line will be much better though regardless of who is running. I think those picks last year are going to make huge strides. Year 1 to 2 is when they start getting stronger, and how to block in the NFL. That takes awhile, but last year's draft was one I was happy with.

25 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Do you know who also missed on D'Joun Smith? Jon Gruden... big time.  Go to 3:10 in this video-

And the funny thing is Mel Kiper didnt miss on Smith. He kept right along talking about Trey Waynes and whoever else. He knew what Djouns limitations were and rightfully didnt give him any first round talk. The guy who had no coaching experience got it and the guy who had tons of experience didnt. LOL

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

And the funny thing is Mel Kiper didnt miss on Smith. He kept right along talking about Trey Waynes and whoever else. He knew what Djouns limitations were and rightfully didnt give him any first round talk. The guy who had no coaching experience got it and the guy who had tons of experience didnt. LOL

Smith didn't go until the third round. Why would Kiper be talking about him in the same conversation as Trae Waynes? 

3 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Which makes it all the more unbelievable why we didn't make the playoffs last year when a team who had an injured defensive MVP and their starting QB getting benched got there...

Yeah, this tweet from Irsay doesn't excite me at all. Tired of his nonsense 

He said Grigson & Pagano were tight when he extended them, how'd that work out. Now you're telling me a new Gm who wanted his own HC is great with Pagano? Not buying it 

Done with Irsay's foolishness. I'll believe it when we don't allow a team without a legit QB to win the division for the 3rd straight year in what's supposed to be a QB driven league & when we don't go 8-8 3 straight seasons 

3 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I will give Pagano a chance since reading the stat on Grigson how few DB's and LB's he has drafted. You can't do much with a defense if you don't add to where you have a dearth of talent, and Grigson would not do it. I never understood the reluctance to take a CB in the 1st or 2nd when it was so evident we needed one. I think Ballard will do a good job with the defense, and I also like that it was he who went and talked to Peters and then his family and cleared the draft choice, and look how he turned out. I want someone who can scout the physical and psychological factor that affects many of these picks.

The one thing I will say on the offense, is we need another play maker. Montcrief did not make the move many anticipated, so we are going to need a RB or another receiver. TY is great, but I see him more as a 2, unless you have a great RB they need to focus on. I believe the line will be much better though regardless of who is running. I think those picks last year are going to make huge strides. Year 1 to 2 is when they start getting stronger, and how to block in the NFL. That takes awhile, but last year's draft was one I was happy with.

Landon Collins 

Xavier Rhodes 

Both should be in Indianapolis 

But....... Grigson happened 

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I think our draft position is great. There's enough great players in this draft to get 3-4 impactful players to me. Looks like we may have gotten at least 4 out of the last draft if Clark pans out. Which I think he will. TJ may improve so it could potentially be 5 between Kelly, Clark, Haeg, Ridgeway, Green. If the team is okay with keeping a two down run stuffer on the roster for running downs, then maybe even 6 with Morrison. For right now I say we got 4-5 solid players out of the last draft. If we get some really high impact players with the first 3 picks in this years draft along with a couple other solid guys we will be headed in the right direction.

Morrison and Green both sucked

5 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Yeah, this tweet from Irsay doesn't excite me at all. Tired of his nonsense 

He said Grigson & Pagano were tight when he extended them, how'd that work out. Now you're telling me a new Gm who wanted his own HC is great with Pagano? Not buying it 

Done with Irsay's foolishness. I'll believe it when we don't allow a team without a legit QB to win the division for the 3rd straight year in what's supposed to be a QB driven league & when we don't go 8-8 3 straight seasons 

Yeah, I hate when people put their PR SPIN and think the fans are too stupid to see it.

Now IMO, a coach should coach, and a GM should sign and draft who he thinks is best for the team.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Yeah, I hate when people put their PR SPIN and think the fans are too stupid to see it.

Now IMO, a coach should coach, and a GM should sign and draft who he thinks is best for the team.

So you don't believe in the concept of Parcells when he said if your expected to cook the dinner at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries?

Of course Jim is going to be "pumped" and positive. He is selling his new GM and trying to keep interest sparked for the Colts. This is his business and he needs to keep fans happy and interested, it's called Marketing.

We won't really know how the two are working together until way through the season... and even then anything we think we "know" about their relationship will just be speculation based off of our Ws and Ls record and how Ballards draft picks play in the system.

Don't get me wrong, I am hoping for the best out of these two as well, but let's just temper expectations, it's only a tweet....

Enough with the Pagano nonsense already.  It's been tiring for a long time.  He's not the one who missed tackles, he's not the one who dropped passes.  Did he call a lot of bad plays?  Yes.  Is he the best coach?  No.  Is he the absolute worst coach?  No.  People have been acting as though he's the worst person in the world.  Get over it.  Let's see what happens this coming year.  If he blows, then he'll be gone.  If the team does good with newer players, etc and the new GM, then we'll see what happens.  Plain and simple.  "You can't cry over spilled milk".  

8 hours ago, krunk said:

I guess Grigson's parting gift was Kelly and leaving us with a high draft pick. But yeah I agree. There's enough draft and FA capital to turn the defense around a lot. 

The draft is loaded at Edge, CB, and safety. It's also a deep RB class. There's some good CBs hitting FA as well. I can see why Irsay is excited. With a new GM who gets along with the HC and has a better vision and track record than the previous GM, it's an exciting time to be a Colts fan.

I'm optimistic about 2017. There is cap space, what appears to be a competent GM, young players that now have some experience, a good offense, players like Langford, Geathers and Robinson returning. Granted, there are question marks but I don't view last year as a total waste. Things could come together this year. The defense was horrible last year but I saw a lot of inexperience show (guys with missed assignments). So much of what went wrong like dropped passes, missed tackles and errant throws, is correctable. Even play calling will be scrutinized. Get some playmakers, clean things up and tighten up the defense and we could see an entirely different outcome.