Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey

Junior RB, was Heisman runner-up in 2015 after setting an NCAA record for most all purpose yards in a season. He suffered an undisclosed injury in 2016, not sure what it was or whether it has any long term implications, but he still had plenty of highlight plays and went on a tear in the last five games -- 991 yards rushing, 10 rushing TDs and 2 receiving TDs. I'm assuming he's fine.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/christian-mccaffrey-1.html#

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/christian-mccaffrey/

Size: Listed at 6'0", 201, which is smallish for an NFL RB. He's slender through the middle, including hips and thighs. Built more like a solid receiver or even a safety, not like an every down, between the tackles back. Decent sized hands, not sure how he'll measure there in comparison to other backs. 2/5

Athleticism: Elite athleticism in every respect. Gets to top speed quickly, can blow through to the second level or turn the corner and run away from everyone. Quick and shifty, start/stop ability, change of direction, good balance and agility, can and does make WOW plays on a regular basis. Not Reggie Bush level suddenness, and not Chris Johnson level open field speed, but plenty sudden and plenty speedy. The son of a track athlete mom (who's father was an Olympic sprinter, btw) and an NFL receiver dad (who comes from a line of athletes himself), he's bred for speed and athleticism. 8.5/10

Vision: Good ability to find the hole, or the slight crease, and get to and through it. Patient when necessary, decisive when appropriate, high level decision maker. Cuts back to make room and gain yards, sometimes runs into defenders on the back side. Shows some LeVeon Bell type of patience at times. Does a good job of finding his way past the line of scrimmage for even moderate gains when the play breaks down. Can run behind a FB in man schemes, and does well as a single back in zone schemes. 8/10

3rd down ability: Natural hands, catches the ball on the run, away from his body, will snatch it out of the air. Tracks it well on swing routes and up the field. Good body control to secure position. Good productivity in college as a receiver, and can line up everywhere, runs routes from any spot. Nice stutter/juke on option routes to create separation. I think he would be a hybrid back/receiver in the NFL, not an every down back. Doesn't stack like a refined receiver. Good awareness in pass pro, willing blocker, not a good blocker, though he does have some big sticks on tape. Because of his size he won't hold up as a frequent blocker in the NFL, and should be out in the open field in passing situations anyways. Gets into good position for cut blocks, not just diving around recklessly. Intelligent player, makes good decisions in both phases 4.5/5 receiving, 2.5/5 blocking -- 7/10

Balance: Great balance in the open, can make defenders miss with great moves, good stop/start ability, turns and changes well. Despite his size he won't always go down with an arm tackle, but typically doesn't require multiple defenders to be brought down. Can slip through traffic to avoid contact and get positive yardage, but once he's hit he's probably going down. Has some plays where he slips multiple would-be tacklers who don't approach with good technique. Keeps a low center of gravity once he gets moving forward. 7/10

Physicality: Plays with aggressiveness and willingness to charge right into the middle of the defense. Blocks the same way. His size limits his effectiveness, but not his mentality. Finishes well, but not carrying defenders on his back or blowing through arm tackles. 6/10

Improvisation: Shiftiness and quicks on display regularly, can turn a loss into a gain with his cutbacks and change of direction. Usually makes defenders miss in the open field, then gets back to top speed in a heartbeat. Has spin moves, stutter steps, and other jukes that make him a problem for single defenders at every level. 8.5/10

Ball control: College stats are unreliable for fumbles, but I only remember seeing two, and one was a botched QB exchange. No notable drops, typically sure handed. Holds the ball high and tight as a ball carrier. 9/10

Overall: 54/75, 72%, late 1st/2nd rounder, hybrid position player

Should be used as a scatback / receiver, not as a straight ahead ball carrier. Has Darren Sproles potential, but bigger, will probably have similar workout numbers. Would need touches manufactured, but could handle 15-20 touches a game, as long as they mostly aren't between the tackles touches. Reggie Bush is a lofty comparison as a prospect, but that's what I see, just not quite as fast. For some reason I think he could have a pedestrian Combine (though he's probably receiving the very best coaching and training, in which case a pedestrian Combine would be a bad Combine, for him), which could push him down into the 40-50ish range. I haven't watched enough players to say whether he's a top 20 player, but I've watched enough of him over the past two years to know that he's one of my favorite college players of all time, and that I think any team that can't get production out of him isn't well coached on offense.

38 minutes ago, Superman said:

Junior RB, was Heisman runner-up in 2015 after setting an NCAA record for most all purpose yards in a season. He suffered an undisclosed injury in 2016, not sure what it was or whether it has any long term implications, but he still had plenty of highlight plays and went on a tear in the last five games -- 991 yards rushing, 10 rushing TDs and 2 receiving TDs. I'm assuming he's fine.

Size: Listed at 6'0", 201, which is smallish for an NFL RB. He's slender through the middle, including hips and thighs. Built more like a solid receiver or even a safety, not like an every down, between the tackles back. Decent sized hands, not sure how he'll measure there in comparison to other backs. 2/5

Athleticism: Elite athleticism in every respect. Gets to top speed quickly, can blow through to the second level or turn the corner and run away from everyone. Quick and shifty, start/stop ability, change of direction, good balance and agility, can and does make WOW plays on a regular basis. Not Reggie Bush level suddenness, and not Chris Johnson level open field speed, but plenty sudden and plenty speedy. The son of a track athlete mom (who's father was an Olympic sprinter, btw) and an NFL receiver dad (who comes from a line of athletes himself), he's bred for speed and athleticism. 8.5/10

Vision: Good ability to find the hole, or the slight crease, and get to and through it. Patient when necessary, decisive when appropriate, high level decision maker. Cuts back to make room and gain yards, sometimes runs into defenders on the back side. Shows some LeVeon Bell type of patience at times. Does a good job of finding his way past the line of scrimmage for even moderate gains when the play breaks down. Can run behind a FB in man schemes, and does well as a single back in zone schemes. 8/10

3rd down ability: Natural hands, catches the ball on the run, away from his body, will snatch it out of the air. Tracks it well on swing routes and up the field. Good body control to secure position. Good productivity in college as a receiver, and can line up everywhere, runs routes from any spot. Nice stutter/juke on option routes to create separation. I think he would be a hybrid back/receiver in the NFL, not an every down back. Doesn't stack like a refined receiver. Good awareness in pass pro, willing blocker, not a good blocker, though he does have some big sticks on tape. Because of his size he won't hold up as a frequent blocker in the NFL, and should be out in the open field in passing situations anyways. Gets into good position for cut blocks, not just diving around recklessly. Intelligent player, makes good decisions in both phases 4.5/5 receiving, 2.5/5 blocking -- 7/10

Balance: Great balance in the open, can make defenders miss with great moves, good stop/start ability, turns and changes well. Despite his size he won't always go down with an arm tackle, but typically doesn't require multiple defenders to be brought down. Can slip through traffic to avoid contact and get positive yardage, but once he's hit he's probably going down. Has some plays where he slips multiple would-be tacklers who don't approach with good technique. Keeps a low center of gravity once he gets moving forward. 7/10

Physicality: Plays with aggressiveness and willingness to charge right into the middle of the defense. Blocks the same way. His size limits his effectiveness, but not his mentality. Finishes well, but not carrying defenders on his back or blowing through arm tackles. 6/10

Improvisation: Shiftiness and quicks on display regularly, can turn a loss into a gain with his cutbacks and change of direction. Usually makes defenders miss in the open field, then gets back to top speed in a heartbeat. Has spin moves, stutter steps, and other jukes that make him a problem for single defenders at every level. 8.5/10

Ball control: College stats are unreliable for fumbles, but I only remember seeing two, and one was a botched QB exchange. No notable drops, typically sure handed. Holds the ball high and tight as a ball carrier. 9/10

Should be used as a scatback / receiver, not as a straight ahead ball carrier. Has Darren Sproles potential, but bigger, will probably have similar workout numbers. Would need touches manufactured, but could handle 15-20 touches a game, as long as they mostly aren't between the tackles touches. Reggie Bush is a lofty comparison as a prospect, but that's what I see, just not quite as fast. For some reason I think he could have a pedestrian Combine (though he's probably receiving the very best coaching and training, in which case a pedestrian Combine would be a bad Combine, for him), which could push him down into the 40-50ish range. I haven't watched enough players to say whether he's a top 20 player, but I've watched enough of him over the past two years to know that he's one of my favorite college players of all time, and that I think any team that can't get production out of him isn't well coached on offense.

Awesome write-up Supe!!

Now we just have to hope for a bad combine and maybe have a shot at him in the second round. Hes a very exciting player but I can't justify the 1st round pick this year with what will most likely be on the board. 

To the Bolded - do you think he would be a good fit on our offense?? I love him but have my doubts with Chud using him properly. 

Tremendous post, Superman.      It's as if you crawled inside my head and read my mind.    (Always a scary thing to do,  I hope it left no permanent damage for you!)

I've got Christian at 21st on my board.      I project him to go anywhere from 20-50.    I think the odds are greater that McCaffrey will be drafted in the 2nd round than the first.     

But he's not a good fit for every team.     Only for teams that know and understand how to use him right.    I don't care when McCaffrey is drafted,  I only care about him going to the right team.    With the right team,  he's a serious weapon.      With the wrong team,  he'll be wasted.

Thanks for giving me such a good read.     He's a fun guy to watch on tape.    And there's plenty of good tape on him.      I'm seriously curious as to how he'll measure/weight/height for the combine and how he'll test?    Hopefully he'll be fun to watch!

somebody actually mocked him to the colts with the 14th pick, and then they have jamal adams going two picks later to the ravens

if it were some unknown blogger i wouldnt mention it, but its nfl.com http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000786173/article/reuter-4round-mock-draft-top-talent-drops-with-early-qb-run

i dont think being white will hurt his draft position, but cook and LF might

9 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

To the Bolded - do you think he would be a good fit on our offense?? I love him but have my doubts with Chud using him properly. 

Yeah, I don't think Chud does a good job of getting the ball to his playmakers in space, so I don't think he's a good fit. But that's a flaw in the offense, not the player. If we can't use good weapons, then we need a new offense.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Tremendous post, Superman.      It's as if you crawled inside my head and read my mind.    (Always a scary thing to do,  I hope it left no permanent damage for you!)

I've got Christian at 21st on my board.      I project him to go anywhere from 20-50.    I think the odds are greater that McCaffrey will be drafted in the 2nd round than the first.     

But he's not a good fit for every team.     Only for teams that know and understand how to use him right.    I don't care when McCaffrey is drafted,  I only care about him going to the right team.    With the right team,  he's a serious weapon.      With the wrong team,  he'll be wasted.

Thanks for giving me such a good read.     He's a fun guy to watch on tape.    And there's plenty of good tape on him.      I'm seriously curious as to how he'll measure/weight/height for the combine and how he'll test?    Hopefully he'll be fun to watch!

Yep. I think he is that player that should get drafted around the 28-35 range. I don't think he would be there at our pick on day 2. To me he 2nd rd talent for specific teams therefore I think it is highly likely a team moves back up at the end of the first or overnight make arrangements to get him at the beginning of the second.  Like you said not a fit for all teams....however innovative offenses will get a huge payoff with this kid. The team I think targets him would be SF. Kyle Shannonhan offense with John Lynch ties and an offense that just STRUGGLED last year and is devoid of playmakers.....perfect complement to Hyde and can be used in the slot....to me he is the perfect player for Kyle's new team....however there will be other seekers obviously.....but SF's second pick will be where I would expect him to go...if not SF packaging some of those multiple day 3 picks to move up and get him. They have 11 picks in the draft I think...no reason to not invest in a player like him to jump start that offense for whomever takes over at QB.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I don't think Chud does a good job of getting the ball to his playmakers in space, so I don't think he's a good fit. But that's a flaw in the offense, not the player. If we can't use good weapons, then we need a new offense.

Indeed.....I be ticked if we got McCaffrey.....I mean we got 4.3 speedster in Dorsett that we never throw a screen to or run a reverse for...I mean we basically ignore...so this would be a waste of riches.

I finally saw a comparison for McCaffrey that I really liked.      The lazy scout compares him to Danny Woodhead for all the obvious reasons.       I can tell you that in Danny Woodhead's wildest dreams he's not Christian McCaffrey.

The comparison that I really like is....  a player from just a few years back....    Brian Westbrook who once played for Philly.        Not a perfect comparison,  but much closer to being fair and complete.

Here's the story....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785567/article/scout-compares-christian-mccaffrey-to-brian-westbrook

In a perfect world, he would last till the Colts second pick and they take him then. But the world isn't perfect. The only way I see him in a colts uniform is if they trade down and grab him with their late first / early second (but that would involve actually getting an early second). Even so, there's just too many holes on the defense to warrant taking a luxury player with one of the early picks.

He is a quicker Shane Vereen, IMO. Shane Vereen was a late 2nd rounder with similar size that could fill in for Jahvid Best at Cal. and produce just as well as the starter when given a chance. The difference is McCaffrey actually got the chance for several years. The size is similar enough that they can run between the tackles to the tune of 10-15 carries if given a chance. However, I do see a better twitch in the passing game than Shane Vereen. In the right system, he can play off the charts. 

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I just hope the Patriots don't draft him. I don't know if we should or not, but anybody but N.E please.

Can you imagine him in the Lewis or James White role? He would probably be even better than those two do in that role.

Patriots have not drafted offensive skill position in round 1 since God knows when. Gronk, Vereen, Garropolo all round 2.

Round 1 is typically OL, DL or someone else for the D, that is just how the Patriots roll typically. Plus, they have Dion Lewis and James White entrenched in that role, it would be a luxury pick for them in an offense that may get Gronk back and with Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell and Amendola sharing reps with Blount, Lewis and White, how are they going to feed him? I just do not see it happening.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Patriots have not drafted offensive skill position in round 1 since God knows when. Gronk, Vereen, Garropolo all round 2.

Round 1 is typically OL, DL or someone else for the D, that is just how the Patriots roll typically. Plus, they have Dion Lewis and James White entrenched in that role, it would be a luxury pick for them in an offense that may get Gronk back and with Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell and Amendola sharing reps with Blount, Lewis and White, how are they going to feed him? I just do not see it happening.

It is the last pick of round 1, and i doubt they are confined to picking certain positions. They trend towards it definitely, but it isnt out of the realm of possibility. Also they have a record of trading back quite frequently, and could do that if they believe they can maximize value and still get their guy. 

I do think it will be tough for them to pull the trigger on him based on the talent they have currently. That being said the draft is a long way away and the Patriots have a knack for trading players the minute their stock hits its peak. Wouldnt be surprised if they dealt James White away. There is also the chance that Gronk and Amendola dont make the cut this time around. Neither has really been living up to their contracts (although mostly due to injury). 

4 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

It is the last pick of round 1, and i doubt they are confined to picking certain positions. They trend towards it definitely, but it isnt out of the realm of possibility. Also they have a record of trading back quite frequently, and could do that if they believe they can maximize value and still get their guy. 

I do think it will be tough for them to pull the trigger on him based on the talent they have currently. That being said the draft is a long way away and the Patriots have a knack for trading players the minute their stock hits its peak. Wouldnt be surprised if they dealt James White away. There is also the chance that Gronk and Amendola dont make the cut this time around. Neither has really been living up to their contracts (although mostly due to injury). 

I think the Packers pull the trigger, to be honest. With the number of crossing routes they run with their WRs and not having a true TE, with Eddie Lacy being hit and miss with his health and the backups not of stellar quality, I think he goes to the Packers if he makes it that far. 

The problem is some team desperate for RB might move up and make a trade with Jerry Jones, the one team they will be confident won't be needing McCaffrey. 

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I just hope the Patriots don't draft him. I don't know if we should or not, but anybody but N.E please.

Can you imagine him in the Lewis or James White role? He would probably be even better than those two do in that role.

I don't get why anyone thinks NE would draft him, when they have both Lewis, and White already.. just don't get that lol. 

Probably my favorite player in the draft and was definitely my favorite player to watch the past 2 years in college. I beleive his run through the tackles is underrated and while he's not powerhouse he will still take the rock where it needs too go. One of the few players who's combine number should be great and he has the film to back it up. Where ever he goes I'll keep an eye on him and root for him but I just doubt he will fall to the Colts on the second day and no way will would we take him at 14

I think Cook and Fournette and Mixon are the only backs worthy of a 1st rd. pick, and Mixon will probably drop to 3rd or further.

If a team doesn't get Cook/Fournette, I think teams may wait til 3rd to get a rb, or late 2nd at the earliest.

As for McCaffrey, I wouldn't be surprised if his combine will be disappointing to some of his followers.

I doubt NE drafts him at 32. They already have 2 backs with similar skill set(Lewis & White).

@SupermanHonestly, I see more of a Percy Harvin (Vikings) role than I do Reggie Bush, but whether Harvin, Bush or some mixture of both, that's where his niche is, I think.  I agree a lot with your assessment of the player individually.  He doesn't gain a lot of yardage after contact, and that concerns me the most, which is why I think his role tends more towards Harvin, even if he isn't as speedy.  Lucky for him, he can make anyone miss, but I think that his draft value, even if he lands somewhere that can get every inch of talent out of him, is somewhere in the second round and there shouldn't be any more than 3 other RBs drafted ahead of him.  If he came in at 215-220 and had impressive combine numbers, all bets are off.  I wouldn't hold my breath, because he's still a tremendous talent as is and I don't think he needs to try to be a workhorse back - especially in today's game.

32 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

@SupermanHonestly, I see more of a Percy Harvin (Vikings) role than I do Reggie Bush, but whether Harvin, Bush or some mixture of both, that's where his niche is, I think.  I agree a lot with your assessment of the player individually.  He doesn't gain a lot of yardage after contact, and that concerns me the most, which is why I think his role tends more towards Harvin, even if he isn't as speedy.  Lucky for him, he can make anyone miss, but I think that his draft value, even if he lands somewhere that can get every inch of talent out of him, is somewhere in the second round and there shouldn't be any more than 3 other RBs drafted ahead of him.  If he came in at 215-220 and had impressive combine numbers, all bets are off.  I wouldn't hold my breath, because he's still a tremendous talent as is and I don't think he needs to try to be a workhorse back - especially in today's game.

That's actually a solid comparison. McCaffrey has more experience as a RB and a returner, while Harvin was mostly receiver / gadget player in college. He also played in a more run heavy offense than McCaffrey. Harvin had a disappointing Combine, by the way, didn't do all the drills and *only* ran 4.41. 

On 2/19/2017 at 11:00 AM, Superman said:

.. but I've watched enough of him over the past two years to know that he's one of my favorite college players of all time, and that I think any team that can't get production out of him isn't well coached on offense.

In other words, for his sake he better not be drafted by the Colts with our current HC and OC. :D

5 hours ago, Superman said:

4.46 is my official guesstimate. 

"Official guesstimate" almost an oxy * hahahahahaha but I'll stick around 4.3 his burst in acceleration and long speed are tremendous. But hey if I'm wrong it'll only be the 10th time....... today anyways haha 

On 2/19/2017 at 7:34 PM, Majin Vegeta said:

I don't get why anyone thinks NE would draft him, when they have both Lewis, and White already.. just don't get that lol. 

Exactly. I had the same fear a year ago, that the Pats would get him but once you take notice that they already have his role covered with an UDFA, it doesn't make sense to take him in the first. If they manage to get the 12th from CLE, and Fournette or Cook are there... maybe... but still doubtful IMO. They'll take defense (or more specifically, a LB) in the first, because they're smart.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:00 AM, Superman said:

wow....you should be a scout....

(and McCaffrey should be a Colt!   I dont think there's anyone like him in the NFL)

I think Christian will run in the 4.4's....

I don't think he runs in the 4.3's....

But I believe he's a sub-4.5 guy.....    and we'll soon find out.

But either way,  it's not just his straight line speed that makes him special....    it's his vision,  his patience,   his ability to use his blockers....    his ability to make multiple cuts in any given run...     to make something out of nothing...     his current comparison in style (not in size) is LeVeon Bell.      His willingness to be patient and let his blockers do their job and THEN hit the hole that might not have been there a split second earlier....

Rare talent.    Will be fascinating to see who drafts him....    I have him going somewhere between picks 20-50.

• 2 weeks later...