Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TJ Green & Antonio Morrison make NextGen Stats All-Rookie team

Steamboat_Shaun

6 hours ago, atapcl said:

I know Morrison was still injured when he ran on his pro day but his numbers did not show speed. They look average compared to DTs not LBs. 

6 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

Morrison ran a 5.1 40, don't know why the writer of that page said he was speedy

Not making any statement, just throwing this out there though-

40 yd dash-

Vontaze Burfict      5.10 and 4.93
Antonio Morrison   5.10 and 5.0  (recovering knee injury)
Dontari Poe           4.98

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Except ball tracking skills. 

I'm absolutely not on the "Green sucks" train, but that's something he struggles with, and did in college. And it's a major concern for someone we presumably want to play free safety.

Which is perplexing, considering Green is a converted wide receiver / kick returner...

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I saw that, too.. Makes me question everything in that story.

I like Morrison a lot but he wasnt drafted because of his 'sideline to sideline speed'..

No..not his speed..i think they wrote it wrong, should have said 
"Morrison was drafted for his sideline to sideline relentlessness."

His time to tackle stat could be from his ability to go through or around blockers efficiently.  This NOT speed is most prized for run defending.  Speed is more for coverage.  If you shed blocks at an amazing rate, you're going to get to the ball much faster than the fastest guy on the field who gets blocked out 99% of the time.

4 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I agree with you 100% T.j green was horrible but is silly to give up on. He has all the tools just needs some more coaching and developing. Last year Landon Collins wasn't nearly the player this year. Just hope he learns from his mistakes. Also, I agree with Morrison. He didn't get credited nearly as much at the end of the year. I think in the beginning of the year he was put in the wrong situation to try and play ilb when he's meant for mlb.  I also think he wasn't accumulated fully to the playbook in the beginning as well. At the end of the year though, he proved that he can play. Just needs more time to develop and needs to stay at the mlb position.

People tend to forget that this was Greens 3rd whole season playing safety...ever.   His play recognition,. and tackling were at times terrible...and this is why.  I think he played well overall considering his background.   Shows me the sky is the limit for him.  But he HAS to make serious strides during this years offseason to better his awareness,...or he'll end up being more of a hinderance and liability than an assett.

10 hours ago, bananabucket said:

"  he was drafted in the 4th round out of Florida because of his speed and sideline to sideline ability "

This just tells me I should ignore anything these "NextGen" stats say in the future.

" Green reached a top speed of 22.34 MPH, which was the 3rd fastest top speed reached by a safety this season. "

lol yes, he's fast.  the only reason he was even draftable.

What a load of garbage.  To think we couldve had Kelly AND Whitehair.  Thanks Grigsy

10 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Yep. Could have Whitehair at RG. Green's the definition of boom or bust.

Whitehair got picked before we even traded back. In our heads that would've been so perfect, but it couldn't even have happened

Morrison is a 2 down thumper at best, and to think we passed jatavis brown for him:wall: 

TJ Green I still have optimism for. The obvious speed and length combo is extremely impressive. Has a strong press and flips his hips so naturally and runs with TEs with ease. I see why the media projected teams to move him to corner. He's never ganna be able to play the deep safety, he's too raw and that takes too many years to learn the instincts and understand the nuance of the FS position. He can be the ideal SS tho. Can come in the box, needs to add more bulk to his frame, and man up on TEs and clean up the run game. Can play in space becuz of his speed, drop into the deep half and help over the top. I do think he'll actually be productive as early as this year. Maybe just as a TE stopper, but eventually I'd love him to take that SS role when we move Clayton to LB

11 hours ago, bananabucket said:

"  he was drafted in the 4th round out of Florida because of his speed and sideline to sideline ability "

This just tells me I should ignore anything these "NextGen" stats say in the future.

" Green reached a top speed of 22.34 MPH, which was the 3rd fastest top speed reached by a safety this season. "

lol yes, he's fast.  the only reason he was even draftable.

What a load of garbage.  To think we couldve had Kelly AND Whitehair.  Thanks Grigsy

How could we have Cody. He was taken the pick before tj

13 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm absolutely not on the "Green sucks" train, but that's something he struggles with, and did in college. And it's a major concern for someone we presumably want to play free safety.

How easy is this to coach up? Can we even expect him to improve to playable level(because yes - I do think he's not playable, at least not at FS, if we want to contend for anything with his current level of coverage skills? The only reason to play him right now is for development purposes IMO.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

How easy is this to coach up? Can we even expect him to improve to playable level(because yes - I do think he's not playable, at least not at FS, if we want to contend for anything with his current level of coverage skills? The only reason to play him right now is for development purposes IMO.

What I'm wondering. How is his awareness and ball tracking skills going to improve throughout the offseason? Seems like something you learn on the field, but he looked the same late in the year as he did early.

13 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Whitehair got picked before we even traded back. In our heads that would've been so perfect, but it couldn't even have happened

Yeah bro. We traded down with the Packers and got like an extra 4 or 5 one. They took Jason Springs. We wouldn't have had that other 4 or 5, but we could have gotten Whitehair at 48. Or Deion Jones or James Bradberry for that matter.

45 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

So will someone explain this to me. We took a project DB in TJ Green. Why didn't we take Davis instead? Sean Davis was considered in the same boat with Green. Boom or bust, raw, over drafted, etc. But he balled this year in Pitt.

Probably because Grigson left his crystal ball at home. Silly man.

Ya know this thread says it all about this forum. It also explains why I spend less and less time here. Something positive is said from an outside source about 2 players on the team we all root for and most everyone just defecates all over it.. SMH

23 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

I just don't see why most people haven't figured out that:

1. He wasn't supposed to play all that much

2. He's got every attribute you'd want for a rangy ballhawk free safety

3. He just needs some more time

2.  Actually he went to Clemson as a WR. And got moved to safety.
 I found it very clear as to why. The guy showed he was pretty terrible at tracking the ball in the air. I don`t recall ever seeing someone get that many snaps who was that bad at it. Any veteran who played like that would have been cut. JMO
 But that was last season and i have zero doubt he will continue to get better.
  One of those guys that has a very good chance of having an Excellent (SBowl) contract year.

Can only laugh about Morrison having sideline to sideline speed. He is slower than DQ.
  O-Coordinators had plays they called to exploit him when they needed one. Watch it. Got him to take one step inside and cut back outside for a run or quick pass and he had Zero chance to make the play in time. 

23 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He wasn't any worse than Landon Collins was in his rookie year, and Collins played safety his whole collegiate career. 

i guess no one would ever call me mister optimist

i would not compare him to collins either, who played like a typical SS at alabama.  heck collins is who i was wanting when we took dorsett.  thats not just hind sight either, tons of people were mocking him to the colts.  he was widely thought of as a first round talent that might need some time to learn to cover

Green's college career was vastly different than LC.  he played at the los and used his speed to chase down running backs.  he needs to learn to play like an NFL FS soon

22 hours ago, Superman said:

Let me fix this:

*Most every attribute you would want

*Has the ability to gain that skill because of his build

47 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

Let me fix this:

*Most every attribute you would want

*Has the ability to gain that skill because of his build

Can't help but chime in on this one....

Ball skills has become an evaluated trait in scouting over the years that seems kind of amorphic but is really quite specific....and relatively few get better at it after entering the league, just as few get faster.  It's a born with it type of trait...or so some would argue.

9 hours ago, stitches said:

4 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

What I'm wondering. How is his awareness and ball tracking skills going to improve throughout the offseason? Seems like something you learn on the field, but he looked the same late in the year as he did early.

I don't think it's easy, but it's not impossible. He needs a lot of reps before you can make an honest evaluation either way.

I do think he had some pretty good games late in the season, but then he had a couple bad games against the Raiders and Jags (IIRC).

On 2/18/2017 at 2:15 PM, Boomstick1 said:

If TJ Green does flop at S. Try him at wideout, he used to play it

That's an interesting idea, I'd give it a go. Wicked fast and over 6 foot? If he can catch and run good routes, that'd be quite a toolset, but it just makes me wonder why they moved him to safety at all.

1 minute ago, funktacious2 said:

That's an interesting idea, I'd give it a go. Wicked fast and over 6 foot? If he can catch and run good routes, that'd be quite a toolset, but it just makes me wonder why they moved him to safety at all.

Would rather try to go the Terrelle Pryor route if he doesn't work out at safety. Wouldn't hurt at all to try it. 

CB is interesting too

17 hours ago, twfish said:

If I remember right Morrison had a tube in his chest getting medicine pumped into him after being in the hospital for a month then 5 days later he ran his 40. Basing your thought on him being slow off his 40 time is very :facepalm: worthy IMHO. 

I agree. I don't think that 40 time can be or should be held against him. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't think it's easy, but it's not impossible. He needs a lot of reps before you can make an honest evaluation either way.

I do think he had some pretty good games late in the season, but then he had a couple bad games against the Raiders and Jags (IIRC).

Yup, he did struggle those 2 games, but the entire defense pretty much did so its hard to kill him too much for it.

On 2/18/2017 at 2:09 PM, Boomstick1 said:

I just don't see why most people haven't figured out that:

1. He wasn't supposed to play all that much

2. He's got every attribute you'd want for a rangy ballhawk free safety

3. He just needs some more time

Except for instincts, ball skills, coverage ability, awareness, solid tackling, and football IQ.

6 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Probably because Grigson left his crystal ball at home. Silly man.

My point is that Sean Davis was IMO the more talented player. So if we were going to take a raw safety project why take Green over Davis. Bad scouting, and a bad GM.

8 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

So will someone explain this to me. We took a project DB in TJ Green. Why didn't we take Davis instead? Sean Davis was considered in the same boat with Green. Boom or bust, raw, over drafted, etc. But he balled this year in Pitt.

I beat the drum for Sean Davis for almost the entire off season last year. We even worked him out. I think Green can get better, but I thought Davis was the better pick.

5 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

TJ dropped the football a couple times last year on balls that should have been picks. Thats probably why he was moved to safety in College. Hands are so so.

I'm getting older, so perhaps my memory is off, but here's what I recall about Green ...

- Immensely physically gifted athlete, but raw DB.  

- essentially thrust into a starting role very early, due to injuries to others. 

- was actually doing much better than expected for such a raw prospect, but then ...

- but then he got injured himself and was knicked up most of the year thereafter

- as a result of having been beset by nagging little injuries, he was playing out most of the season at less than 90% and then became, unfairly, a whipping boy called bust by many of the impatient, uninformed vocal minority of Colts Forum posters.  

Please forgive me if my recollections are erred, but that is how I remember things T.J. Green going down.  

Note - if it were me, I would not have traded down, instead taking Whitehair to be our ROG beside Kelly at C.  What happened happened, though, and TJ Green it is.  I consider it useless and stupid to lament Green for what could have been.  

9 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

Which is all teachable..

No it's not. Some things you either have or you don't. You can't coach ball skills or awareness. The definition of instinctive is enough to know that it can't be taught as well. I know he only played safety for 2 years at Clemson but that's enough time to learn how to cover at least.