Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which one?

Colts1324

43 minutes ago, Finball said:

Ryan Kelly.

Because then I'd be able to take Whitehair in the 2nd and have him as RG!

Or do the trade down and take Bell or Davis.

I didn't mean re-draft. But as in who would you rather have under center. I think I'd stick with Kelly cause I know him better and he has a higher ceiling in my opinion. 

I would prefer to have Andrew Luck UNDER center......but I would prefer Kelly TO BE the center.....we have enough problems without creating one for no apparent reason........I drive on a parkway, and park in a drive way.....that is all please feel free to post amongst yourselves lol

39 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Ryan Kelly. Whitehair was good but I like to tell myself that Kelly has the higher ceiling.

Whitehair also played between two all pro guards....Kelly played every bit as well with significantly less help on either side. OL is about continuity and teamwork. I think that is why our OL will improve next year if they stay healthy. Also a full year in the offseason programs in the weight room and strength and conditioning will go a long way to helping Kelly, Haeg, and Clark round out into the unit we hope they can become. That all said I don't think its any surprise that playing between Long and Sitton helped Whitehair become one of the best centers in the league statistically.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Whitehair also played between two all pro guards....Kelly played every bit as well with significantly less help on either side. OL is about continuity and teamwork. I think that is why our OL will improve next year if they stay healthy. Also a full year in the offseason programs in the weight room and strength and conditioning will go a long way to helping Kelly, Haeg, and Clark round out into the unit we hope they can become. That all said I don't think its any surprise that playing between Long and Sitton helped Whitehair become one of the best centers in the league statistically.

I agree. I was just curious as to who preferred who under center. I'm excited about our offensive line. I think we will still add a guard or RT through FA or the draft because Ballard wants to make sure luck is protected. But we should be well improved in the blocking area. 

1 hour ago, backshoulderfade said:

Ryan Kelly. Whitehair was good but I like to tell myself that Kelly has the higher ceiling.

How do you know that?  Have you been to both of their houses?

Seriously though, how can we guess at anyone's ceiling after one year?   

Well Kelly, but we should have both if we had had any sense. Whitehair would have given us a beastly OL for years to come at RG. Or we could've just signed Mack, drafted Chris Jones or Artie Burns in the 1st, then Whitehair in the 2nd??? But yeah. I think we should have both when the top ranked G in the draft is there when you pick in the 2nd, a G who was especially known for his ability in pass protection.

12 hours ago, Green_Ranger said:

I wish the Colts picked Travis Frederick in 2013 and not Werner. I hated that pick from day one and always wanted us to select Frederick. Thanks a lot Grigson.

LOL I wish we had traded back into the 2nd and came out with Tyrann Mathieu, Terron Armstead and Brandon Williams. Then let AC go, have a cheap, top 5 LT. But no at the time I wanted Rhodes or Hopkins when we were on the clock

8 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

LOL I wish we had traded back into the 2nd and came out with Tyrann Mathieu, Terron Armstead and Brandon Williams. Then let AC go, have a cheap, top 5 LT. But no at the time I wanted Rhodes or Hopkins when we were on the clock

I wanted Rhodes bad but instead we got Werner. Hopkins intrigued me but I wasn't upset about not getting him at the time. I was PO'd we didn't get Mathieu because I think most people knew if he stayed out of trouble he would be a top 5 safety. And I really thought we could fix his troubles. But reality is, you never know how things could have worked out. 

29 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I wanted Rhodes bad but instead we got Werner. Hopkins intrigued me but I wasn't upset about not getting him at the time. I was PO'd we didn't get Mathieu because I think most people knew if he stayed out of trouble he would be a top 5 safety. And I really thought we could fix his troubles. But reality is, you never know how things could have worked out. 

That's why we need to take chances on guys like that. Tim Williams and Joe Mixon are going to be superstars IMO.

I didn't see every snap last season, but I don't recall seeing Kelly give up a sack. Does anyone have his actual stats? Run blocking will get better with time, work, and a stronger right side of the line. Whitehair is good, but Kelly is the long-term answer to the Center problem that the Colts have struggled with since Jeff Saturday left. 

14 hours ago, Green_Ranger said:

I wish the Colts picked Travis Frederick in 2013 and not Werner. I hated that pick from day one and always wanted us to select Frederick. Thanks a lot Grigson.

Let me get this straight....You are talking about the same guy that the Cowboys shocked the world with when they drafted him at 31 right?  The same guy that they traded back from 18 all the way back to 31 because they were so sure he would be there (ie. sure that no other team would draft him in the first round)?

That's the guy you wanted us to pick in 2013...with information available on draft day?

16 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

If you had to choose who was under center next year, would you choose our own Ryan Kelly or the Bears Cody Whitehair? And why? 

I want Andrew Luck under center.    I don't think Kelly even plays QB.   BUT I'd keep Kelly playing center.  If that's what you meant 

The reason we're having this discussion is because Whitehair graded out higher than Kelly as a rookie.

But it's a little more complicated than that.

We liked Kelly the most.     And so there was no way to pass on Kelly and hope to get Whitehair when we picked in the 2nd round.        Because, if we had done that,  we stood a decent chance of coming away with neither.

And then what?

Everythng else is Monday Morning Quarterback with the benefit of hindsight. 

Be happy with who we got.     We got the right guy.    Good for Chicago that they got a good player too.     But stay focused on the Colts.     We had to the center position right once and for all.     We were not in a position to gamble and come up with nothing. 

We've finally got it right now.     Can we please be happy about it and move along to the next problem spot?

Kelly over Whitehair at C.  Kelly was very, very good this year as a rookie playing as the leader of an OL which saw what, 10+ different starting groups (?), makes it even more impressive.

Kelly has a higher upside, I think did better (on a worse line) than Whitehair probably did last year anyway, and IMO will become a perennial pro-bowler if the guys around him can continue to develop (or we bring in improvements).

5 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Rhodes was the guy I really wanted too.. Oh well..

43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The reason we're having this discussion is because Whitehair graded out higher than Kelly as a rookie.

But it's a little more complicated than that.

We liked Kelly the most.     And so there was no way to pass on Kelly and hope to get Whitehair when we picked in the 2nd round.        Because, if we had done that,  we stood a decent chance of coming away with neither.

And then what?

Everythng else is Monday Morning Quarterback with the benefit of hindsight. 

Be happy with who we got.     We got the right guy.    Good for Chicago that they got a good player too.     But stay focused on the Colts.     We had to the center position right once and for all.     We were not in a position to gamble and come up with nothing. 

We've finally got it right now.     Can we please be happy about it and move along to the next problem spot?

I'm happy with Kelly. The NFL and a few other sites put him as their choice for their All-Rookie Team instead of Kelly and I was a bit surprised. I would rather have Kelly myself. It wasn't to down our choice. It's just a discussion about two players. Like would you rather have Wayne or Hilton in their prime? Tough decision. 

Just now, Finball said:

Rhodes was the guy I really wanted too.. Oh well..

Yeah honestly I wanted Rhodes or Shariff Floyd. Floyd has done better than Werner, but hasn't been that good. Rhodes was definitely my top guy and we would have been set at the CB position. 

1 hour ago, evilleseniorfan said:

After the 2016 draft, I posted "How could we pass on Whitehair in the 2nd round."  Nothing else to be said. 

Please let us know when the Colts hire you to make personnel decisions.     I'm sure Ballard is just getting around to it now.

And please include a picture of Ballard congratulating you on the hire in the tweet that you post!

Looking forward to that!!      :thmup:

2 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I'm happy with Kelly. The NFL and a few other sites put him as their choice for their All-Rookie Team instead of Kelly and I was a bit surprised. I would rather have Kelly myself. It wasn't to down our choice. It's just a discussion about two players. Like would you rather have Wayne or Hilton in their prime? Tough decision. 

Wayne

3 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I think statistically Whitehair may have been a bit better, but as many others have pointed out, he was surrounded by a significantly better (and more consistent) OL.

In terms of Wayne vs. TY -- I think I have to go with Wayne.  Wayne didn't really come on until his 3rd year, but he was Mr. Consistent from then til he got hurt.  I like TY a lot, but he has a ways to go before I think I'll call him better than future HOF Reggie Wayne.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Wayne

I love them both. Wayne I think had better hands but doesn't have the speed and doesn't draw as many double coverages as Hilton does. Hilton has put up better stats than Wayne as well. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but why do you say Wayne.(if you base it on the amount of seasons they have played) 

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I think statistically Whitehair may have been a bit better, but as many others have pointed out, he was surrounded by a significantly better (and more consistent) OL.

In terms of Wayne vs. TY -- I think I have to go with Wayne.  Wayne didn't really come on until his 3rd year, but he was Mr. Consistent from then til he got hurt.  I like TY a lot, but he has a ways to go before I think I'll call him better than future HOF Reggie Wayne.

Wayne was definitely as consistent as they come. I think Hilton will put up numbers better than Marvin and Wayne both when it comes to yards and receptions when it is all said and done though. 

14 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Wayne was definitely as consistent as they come. I think Hilton will put up numbers better than Marvin and Wayne both when it comes to yards and receptions when it is all said and done though. 

I don't think anybody other than Antonio Brown and maybe Julio Jones in the current NFL will ever touch Marvin's numbers (and not sure either of them will).... if you have time for reading, here are some of Marv's accomplishments (he wasn't a 'me' guy in the 'Give Me the Damn Ball Era' so a lot don't appreciate it):

• Most receptions in a single season with 143, set in 2002
  • Most receptions in a 4-season period (469), 1999–2002; 5 season period (563), 1999–2003; 7 season period (731), 1999–2005; 8 season period (826), 1999–2006; 9 season period (885), 1998–2006; 10 season period (958), 1997–2006; 11 season period (1,022), 1996–2006
  • Most receiving yards in a 4-season period (6,322), 1999–2002; 5 season period (7,594), 1999–2003
  • Most games in a career with at least 8 receptions (51), 9 receptions (32), 11 receptions (12), 12 receptions (8)
  • Most consecutive games with at least 6 receptions (16) and 9 receptions (6)
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 5 touchdowns (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Terrell Owens, Frank Gore
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 6 touchdowns (11) – shared with Terrell Owens, Jerry Rice, Don Hutson
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 5 touchdown receptions (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Terrell Owens
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 6 touchdown receptions (11) – shared with Jerry Rice, Don Hutson
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 10 touchdown receptions (8)
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 11 touchdown receptions (4)-tied with Lance Alworth, Art Powell
  • Most consecutive seasons with at least 14 touchdown receptions (2)-tied with Jerry Rice
  • Consecutive seasons with 1,400+ receiving yards (4); 1999–2002
  • Consecutive seasons with 100+ receptions (4); 1999–2002
  • Consecutive seasons with 82+ receptions (8); 1999–2006
  • Most games in a single season (2002) with at least 6 receptions (15), 7 receptions (12), 8 receptions (12), 9 receptions (10), 11 receptions (5)
  • Most games in a season with at least 13 receptions (2) in 1999 – tied with several players
  • Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the record for most completions between a Wide Receiver and Quarterback with 953.
  • Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for passing touchdowns between a WR and QB with 112.
  • Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for passing yards between a WR and QB with 12,756.
  • Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning currently hold the NFL record for completions in a season between a WR and QB with 143 in 2002.
  • First player to record 2 seasons of 1,600 yards receiving in NFL history, (1999 & 2002). (Torry Holt became the 2nd, (2000 & 2003)
  • First player to have 50+ receptions in his first 11 seasons in NFL history. (Torry Holt became the 2nd on December 27, 2009)
  • Most consecutive seasons of 1,000+ all-purpose yards and 10+ touchdown receptions (8), 1999–2006
  • On December 18, 2006, Marvin Harrison and Indianapolis Colt teammate Reggie Wayne became the only NFL wide receiver tandem to catch 75 receptions and 1,000 yards in 3 straight seasons. The game was on Monday Night and was played against the Cincinnati Bengals.
  • On November 17, 2002, made his 600th career reception against the Dallas Cowboys
  • On October 12, 2003, made his 700th career reception against the Carolina Panthers. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 114 games
  • On November 8, 2004, made his 800th career reception against the Minnesota Vikings. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 131 games
  • On November 20, 2005, made his 900th career reception against the Cincinnati Bengals. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 149 career games
  • On December 10, 2006, made his 1000th reception against the Jacksonville Jaguars. And is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 167 career games
  • On December 28, 2008, made his 1,100th career reception against the Tennessee Titans in his last regular season game and his last game in Indianapolis. He is the fastest player to do so reaching the mark in 190 career games.
  • Most receptions over first 7 seasons (665), 8 seasons (759), 9 seasons (845), 10 seasons (927), 11 seasons (1,022) and 13 seasons (1,102) of career of any NFL receiver
  • Most consecutive games with a reception to start a career (190)
  • Most average receptions per game in a career (5.8) – 1996–2008
  • Most consecutive games with 8+ receiving yards (190), (206 if counting playoffs) – every game
  • Most consecutive games with a 6+ yard reception (190), (206 if counting playoffs) – every game
  • Most consecutive games with an 8+ yard reception (177), (192 if counting playoffs)

14 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

I love them both. Wayne I think had better hands but doesn't have the speed and doesn't draw as many double coverages as Hilton does. Hilton has put up better stats than Wayne as well. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but why do you say Wayne.(if you base it on the amount of seasons they have played) 

Wayne was one of the greatest in NFL history of finding 'open space' to get open.  Hilton doesn't put up 'better stats' than Wayne... Wayne had 4 100+ receiving yard seasons, Hilton has 0.  Hilton's start to his career is better than Reggie's but he still hasn't caught 100 balls in a season, and to say he doesn't draw coverage like Wayne did is pretty much blatant ignorance.