Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Elliott or Ridgeway?

JMichael557

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yeah but that's all op asked. If in the same draft would you take Brown or Zeke the simple answer is Zeke 

I mean if it has to be one of those 2. Then yeah you have to go with Zeke. But I would take a stud defensive player all day long before Cook or Fornette.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

I mean if it has to be one of those 2. Then yeah you have to go with Zeke. But I would take a stud defensive player all day long before Cook or Fornette.

Me too but I'm just answering this dudes question. There will be no reason to take a RB in the 1st this year too many good players on D.

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Me too but I'm just answering this dudes question. There will be no reason to take a RB in the 1st this year too many good players on D.

It just wasn't a fair question IMO. Why Malcolm Brown? Seems like it should have been Elliott or Chris Jones, Karl Joseph, etc.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not going to get involved in the Zeke vs. Cook debate.     I have no dog in this fight.

But I'm at a loss as to your view that Zeke Elliott was once viewed as a 2nd round pick.    I have no recollection of that.    And also that he later climbed up to a mid to late 1st round level.  

My recollection is that he was always a 1st round kid,  but I don't recall him as lower than a mid-first round guy.  But that didn't last long.

I'll try to surf around....    not sure if I can find anything.    But if you have a link, that would be helpful.

The idea that Zeke turned into Zeke because of the line I think is a bit thin....    I love the Dallas line.   Best in the NFL.     But Zeke was a mega-talent when he got there.     He's the complete package.   

http://forums.colts.com/topic/42948-mcshay-2016-mock-draft-10/

It's hard to look at some of the older mocks because it ju see the shows the recent one. In this one it didn't have him going in the first. It was early December but still. Then there were mocks going mid 20's then he was mocked to us at 18 for a couple weeks and he continued to climb

35 minutes ago, twfish said:

It's hard to look at some of the older mocks because it ju see the shows the recent one. In this one it didn't have him going in the first. It was early December but still. Then there were mocks going mid 20's then he was mocked to us at 18 for a couple weeks and he continued to climb

Thanks!      Good find!      I'm especially fond of the guy who posted that....    some guy named......

NewColtsFan.

So.....    we have a bit of a conundrum...

There's a mock which didn't have Elliott going in the first in December of 2015.

But I found a McShay top-32 from September of 2015, 4 months earlier, and here he's listed as McShay's 16th best player.      I'm cutting and pasting....

16. Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State Buckeyes*

Elliott burst onto the national scene in 2014, averaging 6.9 yards per carry and compiling 18 rushing TDs. He's a powerful runner who almost always churns out yards after initial contact and falls forward at end of runs.

I don't know if this is one of those which came first, the chicken or the egg things?

I guess it depends on which makes your argument better?

Either way,  thanks for finding this.....     appreciate that....         :thmup:

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks!      Good find!      I'm especially fond of the guy who posted that....    some guy named......

NewColtsFan.

So.....    we have a bit of a conundrum...

There's a mock which didn't have Elliott going in the first in December of 2015.

But I found a McShay top-32 from September of 2015, 4 months earlier, and here he's listed as McShay's 16th best player.      I'm cutting and pasting....

16. Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State Buckeyes*

Elliott burst onto the national scene in 2014, averaging 6.9 yards per carry and compiling 18 rushing TDs. He's a powerful runner who almost always churns out yards after initial contact and falls forward at end of runs.

I don't know if this is one of those which came first, the chicken or the egg things?

I guess it depends on which makes your argument better?

Either way,  thanks for finding this.....     appreciate that....         :thmup:

I think that zeke was always rated relatively high as a prospect but at one point there was questions of him being drafted in the first simply due to him be a running back and the fact that the whole position had been relatively devalued in years before. 

This is such a cherry picked example to try and "prove" your point. If you need to cherry pick a top 5 player in one position against a late 1st round player in another just to get the answer you want, youve already proved that your point is wrong. 

There is zero chance that there wont be a player on the board who wont help our defense as much as an extra 450 yds and 5 tds a year on offense will help. 450 yds (250 rushing and 200 recieving) and 5 tds more then our top rb totals this yr would put cook top 5 across all categories (rush yds, rec yds, rush tds, receiving tds). We cant even hope for more, let alone expect it.  

And yah i know everyone keeps saying there is the rest of the draft and all of free agency, and drafting one player on offense wont make a difference, but the fact is that 1 IMPACT player found in the first is huge for our defense. We need to walk away with 2-3 impact players to have a shot at a decent defense next yr. You take away our first round pick and the chances of getting 3 impact players goes down exponentially.

Free agents cost a lot and dont pan out more often then not. We simply cant afford to grab enough that we can guarantee success. If we are lucky (which never seems to be the case with this franchise) we walk away with 1-2 good finds, assuming we sign 3-4 guys.

Chances are it is probably 1 guy that pans out. 

Mid to late round picks cant be expected to be game changing players, especially in year one. Sometimes they are, but they are exceptions to the rule. Bet on zero being impact players and hope for 1.

That leaves us with our first 2 picks, which arent guaranteed either, but you should be able to walk away with 1 good player. 

When all is said and done we will be hard pressed to get the players our defense needs even with the first round pick, so unless by some miracle the 14 defensive players currently ranked in the top 25 prospects are taken (and we pick 15th not 14th) there should be zero reason to even consider a rb. We have a top offense and a 1000 yd rusher at rb. We dont have anything of note on the other side of the ball. 

18 hours ago, twfish said:

I too don't have a dog in this fight, but I did feel the need to throw a few things out:

- Nfl.com has Cook with a 6.5 rating and had Zeke with a 7.

- Is it possible that Zeke's instant success & how much of their offensive prowess was due to his outstanding play has draft 'experts' placing a bit higher of a value on the perceived top backs, causing Cook to be mocked higher than Zeke originally was?