Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Elliott or Ridgeway?

JMichael557

There has been a lot discussed about whether the Colts should take Cook if he falls that far because we need defensive help. I agree that if a top notch defensive player falls then you take the defensive player but I don't think you take a serviceable defensive player over the higher ranked RB if he falls.

By example lets say that Elliott and Ridgeway are in this years draft and both are available at 14/15. Ridgeway is doing a good job at New England but I would select Elliott because his impact on the team would be greater than Ridgeway. I would even take Elliott over Collins although the debate gets a little tighter based on how Collins has played for the giants.

Which would you take. Elliott or Ridgeway?

But there's a difference though. The defensive talent available at 14/15 will be a lot better than the talent available in the end of the first. That's like half a round of talent there. I think the Colts could get an impact player on the defensive side of the ball at 14/15 if they play their cards right.

Regarding taking Cook, yes it would make the offense better (maybe even the best in the league), but the offense was already 10th in the league last year. That with a leaky offensive line, and lackluster play calling. With the line growing, and some better plays being called, the offense can literally be better next season without any additions to the group (not saying that they shouldn't look for players here, just not in the first).

Meanwhile, the defense needs better talent to get better. Hard to blame the play calling when there aren't any players who can execute the plays well enough in the first place. They've been putting off getting defensive help in the first since 2013 (and that time being a bust). In a draft that has lots of defensive talent in the first, and a surplus of running backs in the middle rounds, would it not make sense to go defense first, and then find your RB later?

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Elliott was a much better prospect than Cook. And why did you pick Ridgeway(?)? But out of those choices, obviously Elliott. But Zeke or Ramsey? Ramsey. 

Lol zeke was definitely not a better prospect.... before the combine he was looked at as possibly going in the second. Then it looked like he was going to fall into the mid to late first round. He may look like a stud right now but alot of that's on the boys line.  Cook has pretty much always been seen as a first rounder and the chances of him going in the top 10 is easy to see. When zeke was at Ohio state the line really helped make him vs Cook who's line this year was pretty bad but still made plays. I still personally don't want cook but to say he's not the better prospect is pretty funny.

14 minutes ago, twfish said:

Lol zeke was definitely not a better prospect.... before the combine he was looked at as possibly going in the second. Then it looked like he was going to fall into the mid to late first round. He may look like a stud right now but alot of that's on the boys line.  Cook has pretty much always been seen as a first rounder and the chances of him going in the top 10 is easy to see. When zeke was at Ohio state the line really helped make him vs Cook who's line this year was pretty bad but still made plays. I still personally don't want cook but to say he's not the better prospect is pretty funny.

I swear I only hear this crap on this forum. No where else will you find people thinking Cook is a better prospect than Zeke. A dumb post on your part. Pretty funny. 

18 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I swear I only hear this crap on this forum. No where else will you find people thinking Cook is a better prospect than Zeke. A dumb post on your part. Pretty funny. 

592 attempts 3961 rushing yards 6.7 avg 43 td with 58 receptions 449 yards 7.7 avg 1td vs 687 attempts 4464 rushing yards 6.5 avg and 46 td 79 receptions 935 yards receiving 11.8 avg yards and 2 tds. Both backs over 3 years. Who's the hands down better back? Which back was continually mocked in the later half and which back has been projected by almost everyone to go in the top 15? 

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If thats true why the hell would you compare Zeke to Brown? Any * that picks Brown over Zeke should be punched in the head!

I think the point he's trying to make is that even though there are a lot of people on here (including myself) who disagree with taking a RB in the first round, if an elite RB fell to you and you had the chance between the RB and a serviceable defensive player, would you take the RB, or would you take the defensive help?

8 minutes ago, twfish said:

592 attempts 3961 rushing yards 6.7 avg 43 td with 58 receptions 449 yards 7.7 avg 1td vs 687 attempts 4464 rushing yards 6.5 avg and 46 td 79 receptions 935 yards receiving 11.8 avg yards and 2 tds. Both backs over 3 years. Who's the hands down better back? Which back was continually mocked in the later half and which back has been projected by almost everyone to go in the top 15? 

Not going to argue with a guy who thinks cook is a better prospect than Zeke. Youre the only guy ive heard say that. Stop quoting me.

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think the point he's trying to make is that even though there are a lot of people on here (including myself) who disagree with taking a RB in the first round, if an elite RB fell to you and you had the chance between the RB and a serviceable defensive player, would you take the RB, or would you take the defensive help?

Which seems like a flawed question imo. Because a stud defender will be there, not just a "serviceable" guy. We're picking at #15 not the end of the round. 

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Not going to argue with a guy who thinks cook is a better prospect than Zeke. Stop quoting me.

Yea that's what I would say too if I had no memory of the players prior to a draft and was handed a bunch of stats that I had nothing to counter with..... Good talk.

20 minutes ago, twfish said:

Yea that's what I would say too if I had no memory of the players prior to a draft and was handed a bunch of stats that I had nothing to counter with..... Good talk.

You're a dunce. You post some stats and somehow your opinion is now right? I guess the fact you're alone in your opinion isn't enough?

OK I don't get this. Did you mean Malcolm Brown??? Or did you mean if Ridgeway had went back to college another year? Or what? Make it a fair question. Make it something like Zeke Elliott or Marcus Peters, Sheldon Richardson, Chandler Jones, etc. Because at 14 or 15 a player of that caliber will be on the board. So ask if I had rather have Elliott or Chandler Jones. I'd take any big time defensive player over a RB. You can get a feature back in the 2nd or 3rd. Mixon is going to be a top 5 RB in the entire league. So why not just take him in the 2nd or 3rd???? He's right there with, if not better than Cook bro.

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

That's why if he is available at our pick we should trade back because some teams will be desperate and overpay 

THIS. We could trade back into the 20's and MAYBE find a team desperate enough to give us their 1 and 2. Or at least their 1 and 3, and we could still land Tim Williams (Probably), Takk, Charlton, or maybe a Corner line Sidney Jones if those 3 EDGE rushers are gone. Getting an extra 2nd could be HUGE for us if we hit on our 1-3rd round picks. That'd be 4 day 1 impact players.

1 hour ago, twfish said:

I'm not going to get involved in the Zeke vs. Cook debate.     I have no dog in this fight.

But I'm at a loss as to your view that Zeke Elliott was once viewed as a 2nd round pick.    I have no recollection of that.    And also that he later climbed up to a mid to late 1st round level.  

My recollection is that he was always a 1st round kid,  but I don't recall him as lower than a mid-first round guy.  But that didn't last long.

I'll try to surf around....    not sure if I can find anything.    But if you have a link, that would be helpful.

The idea that Zeke turned into Zeke because of the line I think is a bit thin....    I love the Dallas line.   Best in the NFL.     But Zeke was a mega-talent when he got there.     He's the complete package.   

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not going to get involved in the Zeke vs. Cook debate.     I have no dog in this fight.

But I'm at a loss as to your view that Zeke Elliott was once viewed as a 2nd round pick.    I have no recollection of that.    And also that he later climbed up to a mid to late 1st round level.  

My recollection is that he was always a 1st round kid,  but I don't recall him as lower than a mid-first round guy.  But that didn't last long.

I'll try to surf around....    not sure if I can find anything.    But if you have a link, that would be helpful.

The idea that Zeke turned into Zeke because of the line I think is a bit thin....    I love the Dallas line.   Best in the NFL.     But Zeke was a mega-talent when he got there.     He's the complete package.   

There was some thought that he could fall to us, people argued if we should take him.  I'm a Buckeye so I already knew he was special.  He was always a top 20 pick.

But it wasn't until after the season ended that the draft 'experts' started studying his tape.  Between that, his combine performance, how he blew them away at the pro day, I knew we didn't have a shot.  

I dont know enough about Cook to think if he's a generational back like Zeke.  

For whatever it's worth.....

I just checked ESPN archives.....

Even Mel Kiper,  who HATES with a blood curdling passion the idea that RB's should go in the 1st round had Elliott ranked in the teens (17) during the college season.      His ranking went up from there...

Same with Todd McShay..... 

I'm still looking for more one way or the other,  but wanted to post what I had found....     I can't link, because it's premium info...

Just now, Smonroe said:

There was some thought that he could fall to us, people argued if we should take him.  I'm a Buckeye so I already knew he was special.  He was always a top 20 pick.

But it wasn't until after the season ended that the draft 'experts' started studying his tape.  Between that, his combine performance, how he blew them away at the pro day, I knew we didn't have a shot.  

I dont know enough about Cook to think if he's a generational back like Zeke.  

Yup.....    I think you have this pegged.....

If I was going to compare the two,  I'd say that Elliott at 225 is bigger and stronger and tougher between the tackles.....    Cook might have a little more wiggle out in space.      Not that Elliott is lacking there,  but Cook might have a little more.

So, it depends one what you like in a RB....    how does he fit into your game.

But given that Elliott has received high marks in both receiving and especially pass protection,  I suspect he'd have a somewhat higher grade.      

Honestly,  I think we're talking about the winner of a beauty contest and the runner-up.     You can't go wrong either way....

54 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Well the guys at 15 won't be serviceable they will be way better prospects then brown 

3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

But there's a difference though. The defensive talent available at 14/15 will be a lot better than the talent available in the end of the first. That's like half a round of talent there. I think the Colts could get an impact player on the defensive side of the ball at 14/15 if they play their cards right.

Regarding taking Cook, yes it would make the offense better (maybe even the best in the league), but the offense was already 10th in the league last year. That with a leaky offensive line, and lackluster play calling. With the line growing, and some better plays being called, the offense can literally be better next season without any additions to the group (not saying that they shouldn't look for players here, just not in the first).

Meanwhile, the defense needs better talent to get better. Hard to blame the play calling when there aren't any players who can execute the plays well enough in the first place. They've been putting off getting defensive help in the first since 2013 (and that time being a bust). In a draft that has lots of defensive talent in the first, and a surplus of running backs in the middle rounds, would it not make sense to go defense first, and then find your RB later?

Off-topic but your post to like ratio is damn impressive lol.

1 hour ago, JMichael557 said:

Sorry I meant to say Brown not Ridgeway   

LOL. Thanks for clarifying. We were pretty confused. But no I mean no way, unless we were stacked to the rack at every position on both sides of the ball would I go RB 1. Why take a Zeke Elliott in round 1 when you can get a David Johnson, Le'Veon Bell, etc in the 2nd or 3rd? As I've stated a million and 1 times now. But make it the same draft. That's another thing that mixed me up when I figured out you were talking about Brown. That was 2 years ago. Zeke was this year. So... Ask if we had rather have Zeke Elliott or Chris Jones. Give me Chris Jones. Why? Because he's a building block on D. An absolute stud DT whose gonna be an all around beast for the next 10 years. RB's a dime a dozen bro. They don't (USUALLY) last as long career wise as pretty much any other position would (does) IDK I mixed myself up a bit. But RB's don't last as long as players at different positions usually LOL There we go LOL. But Anyways...I'd rather stack up the defense and have a mid tier RB like a CJ Anderson than have a Peterson or Zeke in the 1st, but again. This year we have a RARE opportunity to get a 1st round caliber back, comparable to Le'Veon Bell in the 2nd, 3rd or maybe even the 4th in Joe Mixon. I think we take Mixon in round 2 or 3 actually. He's literally the next Bell with his ability to be a feature 3 down back and give us over 1,000 rushing yards and 5-600 receiving yards on top of it. Like Bell he's a complete player, and I don't get caught up in Draft Trackers Comps TOO much, but Bell is Mixon's comp, and I definitely see it.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

LOL. Thanks for clarifying. We were pretty confused. But no I mean no way, unless we were stacked to the rack at every position on both sides of the ball would I go RB 1. Why take a Zeke Elliott in round 1 when you can get a David Johnson, Le'Veon Bell, etc in the 2nd or 3rd? As I've stated a million and 1 times now. But make it the same draft. That's another thing that mixed me up when I figured out you were talking about Brown. That was 2 years ago. Zeke was this year. So... Ask if we had rather have Zeke Elliott or Chris Jones. Give me Chris Jones. Why? Because he's a building block on D. An absolute stud DT whose gonna be an all around beast for the next 10 years. RB's a dime a dozen bro. They don't (USUALLY) last as long career wise as pretty much any other position would (does) IDK I mixed myself up a bit. But RB's don't last as long as players at different positions usually LOL There we go LOL. But Anyways...I'd rather stack up the defense and have a mid tier RB like a CJ Anderson than have a Peterson or Zeke in the 1st, but again. This year we have a RARE opportunity to get a 1st round caliber back, comparable to Le'Veon Bell in the 2nd, 3rd or maybe even the 4th in Joe Mixon. I think we take Mixon in round 2 or 3 actually. He's literally the next Bell with his ability to be a feature 3 down back and give us over 1,000 rushing yards and 5-600 receiving yards on top of it. Like Bell he's a complete player, and I don't get caught up in Draft Trackers Comps TOO much, but Bell is Mixon's comp, and I definitely see it.

So you would take Brown over Zeke??