Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clay Matthews

oldunclemark

Reportedly has a $15 mil cap price tag to the Packers for 2017.

They will certainly not go for that....

.....How much less would he play for the Packers for?

He played hurt much of 2016..and he's old.

Assuming he's not retiring, who else would want him for a Super Bowl run?

6-time All-pro

6 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You mean other teams? Cause the chances of the Colts going on a super bowl run next year are slim.

Just never know!

Didn't we beat Atlanta last year (15)?  And wasn't the game with Denver very close before the end of the game, plus we lost to Carolina in OT?

Didn't we beat Seattle, Denver, 49r's and Baltimore all in championship caliber year(s)?

Could have our dysfunctional leadership been more of a detriment to our success than we know?

I know you are saying and I mostly agree.... but you really never do know until you know.

The first step is believing that you can!

2 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Just never know!

Didn't we beat Atlanta last year (15)?  And wasn't the game with Denver very close before the end of the game, plus we lost to Carolina in OT?

Didn't we beat Seattle, Denver, 49r's and Baltimore all in championship caliber year(s)?

Could have our dysfunctional leadership been more of a detriment to our success than we know?

I know you are saying and I mostly agree.... but you really never do know until you know.

The first step is believing that you can!

No I don't believe in chuck 

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You mean other teams? Cause the chances of the Colts going on a super bowl run next year are slim.

The Super Bowl really isn't that far out of reach, in my personal opinion.

Get a RB, and draft some defensive studs, and we're the 2016 Falcons.

1 minute ago, Boomstick1 said:

Our D is far from being good we would have to hit on every pick and FA this offseason and Chuck would have to learn to not be an *

3 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

No I don't believe in chuck 

I hear ya.... I wasn't happy about lining up in the polecat formation for the fake punt and some other stunts he has pulled....or poor clock management.  We were one game away just a short few years ago.

I am not going to bash Pagano, even tho I was hoping for his dismissal too, I want to see us compete this year... something that might have been hindered by the dysfunction that lingered in the complex.

Doesn't mean we throw in the towel.

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Our D is far from being good we would have to hit on every pick and FA this offseason and Chuck would have to learn to not be an *

Thing is that a few players can make a huge difference.

Forget the coach... defensively there were some moments.  There were a lot of moments that sucked, but there was at least some good play too.... and with mediocre players.  

I could easily be proven wrong, but I want to hope that we do hit some on the draft and we get a couple good FA players and lets say now we play within a score of Pittsburgh or NE... that would be a huge improvement.  

I will take that any day when Luck is our QB.... with him there is always a chance.

16 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Chuck had 3 straight 11-5 seasons, advancing farther in the playoffs each year.

I know the last 2 have been 8-8, but 1 was because Luck went down.

Now I agree and I disagree with some of the opinions on Chuck but it just seems like people forget about those 3 seasons

2 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

1st up Mathews isn't leaving GB. 2nd. Perry Will. But you're right. If we bring in say Nick Perry, Brandon Williams, AJ Bouye, and TJ Lang in FA. Then hit BIG in the draft and get 2-3 day 1 starters. T-Will, Takk, or Charlton, in 1 and Mixon somewhere in there from the 2nd to the 4th. And an ILB in the 2nd or 3rd. Then yeah. We could be the Falcons of next year. With Lang our OL would be a top 10 OL. Mixon would give us a big time RB and Luck would have more time in the pocket. Moncrief has to play 15 or 16 games and give us a 1000 yards IMO. He's shown he's capable of it. Just gotta stay healthy. On D. Perry and Tim Williams would give us a monster pass rush, Brandon Williams at NT's commanding Double teams and keeping the LB's clean to make plays, etc. Then AJ Bouye paired with Davis, Butler, and a 4th-5th rounder would give us a stout group of corners. Bottom line is with a beast OL, a true feature RB and Crief staying healthy our offense will be almost unstoppable. And on D with a pass rush like that and 2 shut down corners we'll have something going on. All we need is like 3-4 impact players in FA and to start hitting in the draft and we could be a SB favorite entering the 2018-2019 season. But yeah. I think with the right moves we can be a 11-5 or maybe a 12-4 team capable of making a playoff run this year. But give it 2 offseasons of bringing in some good FA's and hitting in the draft and we're a juggernaut.

The NYG's signed Vernon, Jenkins, and Harrison, then drafted Apple and they turned it around overnight with Eli. We have a much better QB so.......

16 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

1st up Mathews isn't leaving GB. 2nd. Perry Will. But you're right. If we bring in say Nick Perry, Brandon Williams, AJ Bouye, and TJ Lang in FA. Then hit BIG in the draft and get 2-3 day 1 starters. T-Will, Takk, or Charlton, in 1 and Mixon somewhere in there from the 2nd to the 4th. And an ILB in the 2nd or 3rd. Then yeah. We could be the Falcons of next year. With Lang our OL would be a top 10 OL. Mixon would give us a big time RB and Luck would have more time in the pocket. Moncrief has to play 15 or 16 games and give us a 1000 yards IMO. He's shown he's capable of it. Just gotta stay healthy. On D. Perry and Tim Williams would give us a monster pass rush, Brandon Williams at NT's commanding Double teams and keeping the LB's clean to make plays, etc. Then AJ Bouye paired with Davis, Butler, and a 4th-5th rounder would give us a stout group of corners. Bottom line is with a beast OL, a true feature RB and Crief staying healthy our offense will be almost unstoppable. And on D with a pass rush like that and 2 shut down corners we'll have something going on. All we need is like 3-4 impact players in FA and to start hitting in the draft and we could be a SB favorite entering the 2018-2019 season. But yeah. I think with the right moves we can be a 11-5 or maybe a 12-4 team capable of making a playoff run this year. But give it 2 offseasons of bringing in some good FA's and hitting in the draft and we're a juggernaut.

The NYG's signed Vernon, Jenkins, and Harrison, then drafted Apple and they turned it around overnight with Eli. We have a much better QB so.......

Agreed. It's not far fetched.

We have lots of $$$ to spend. If it's spent wisely, hit in draft. get a stud rb.

And the AFC is not exactly crawling all over with power house teams.

3 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Do you have any sources or reasons as to why GB would let both Lang and Perry go when they have ~40million in cap and almost never sign free agents? Doesnt seem like they have many other big names to sign. 

I havent seen anything to show that they wouldnt be trying to keep them. 

59 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Do you have any sources or reasons as to why GB would let both Lang and Perry go when they have ~40million in cap and almost never sign free agents? Doesnt seem like they have many other big names to sign. 

I havent seen anything to show that they wouldnt be trying to keep them. 

Yeah bro. Adam Shehefter got me on speed dial. He's my source. What are you talking about? LOL.

But seriously first. They made one of the biggest mistakes in their franchise history by letting Casey Hayward leave for what? 5 million per year? The Packers will let guys test the waters and if they aren't willing to pay the asking price they will sometimes let guys walk. Plus they have a handful of really good looking offensive linemen so they may feel comfortable letting Lang go. They may feel like Kyler Fackrell can come in and break out next season at OLB. I just think they'll both hit the market. They may both end up back in GB, but bet they'll hit the market. They really need to bring both back then draft a CB in the 1st, but again. I think both ultimately hit the market.

30 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah bro. Adam Shehefter got me on speed dial. He's my source. What are you talking about? LOL.

But seriously first. They made one of the biggest mistakes in their franchise history by letting Casey Hayward leave for what? 5 million per year? The Packers will let guys test the waters and if they aren't willing to pay the asking price they will sometimes let guys walk. Plus they have a handful of really good looking offensive linemen so they may feel comfortable letting Lang go. They may feel like Kyler Fackrell can come in and break out next season at OLB. I just think they'll both hit the market. They may both end up back in GB, but bet they'll hit the market. They really need to bring both back then draft a CB in the 1st, but again. I think both ultimately hit the market.

Well when you state things like facts and no one can confirm them then people tend to ask questions..... 

Had you said "I dont think Perry will be retained" rather than "Perry will" then I wouldnt have questioned it. 

I hadnt seen anything to say otherwise and was genuinely wondering if maybe there was a report from either side (GB front office or an agent of the players) I couldnt find that you had seen. 

As far as Casey hayward, yah in hindsight was not a great move. But at the time they Shields, Rollins and Randall who they thought would be able to hold down the position. Unfortunately all 3 of them missed time at one point or another this season and everything kind of blew up in their face. 

I agree with you that they might consider Fackrell to be a breakout candidate but they are also losing Peppers to free agency as well. I would think that they would prefer Perry over Peppers as far as who to resign. They could let both walk but that would leave them pretty thin at Lb, considering that Clay Mathews also fills in at ILB at times. 

I do think that one of them should hit the market, but with all that cap space and very few others to resign, I cant see any reason why they would let both walk. I think we have better shot at Lang then Perry, which sucks because I think we need Perry more. 

8 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Well when you state things like facts and no one can confirm them then people tend to ask questions..... 

Had you said "I dont think Perry will be retained" rather than "Perry will" then I wouldnt have questioned it. 

I hadnt seen anything to say otherwise and was genuinely wondering if maybe there was a report from either side (GB front office or an agent of the players) I couldnt find that you had seen. 

As far as Casey hayward, yah in hindsight was not a great move. But at the time they Shields, Rollins and Randall who they thought would be able to hold down the position. Unfortunately all 3 of them missed time at one point or another this season and everything kind of blew up in their face. 

I agree with you that they might consider Fackrell to be a breakout candidate but they are also losing Peppers to free agency as well. I would think that they would prefer Perry over Peppers as far as who to resign. They could let both walk but that would leave them pretty thin at Lb, considering that Clay Mathews also fills in at ILB at times. 

I do think that one of them should hit the market, but with all that cap space and very few others to resign, I cant see any reason why they would let both walk. I think we have better shot at Lang then Perry, which sucks because I think we need Perry more. 

They wont franchise him because it would cost them like 18 or so million dollars for 1 year.

36 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

he's not getting $15 mil from Green Bay next year, that's almost certain

that wouldnt be ideal, but i just checked and the packers have 43 million in cap space and thats with CM contract accounted for.

no need for more cap space when you dont bring in many free agents

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

no need for more cap space when you dont bring in many free agents

unless you have 6 starters you might want (or need) to resign.

You can argue that a certain Midwest team shouldnt be interested in Clay Matthews..

..but don't say they've got no need for more cap space.

..... GB isn't likely to pay Clay Mathews $15 mil next season

38 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

unless you have 6 starters you might want (or need) to resign.

You can argue that a certain Midwest team shouldnt be interested in Clay Matthews..

..but don't say they've got no need for more cap space.

..... GB isn't likely to pay Clay Mathews $15 mil next season

it could get interesting but the team really has no leverage unless they are ready to let him walk.  they are pretty thin at linebacker too, to the extent that clay has to play out of position sometimes

hes one of my favorite players at a position we badly need so id be pretty happy if he did land here