Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Speculation] Jack Doyle to test free agency (Merged)

TigerColt

Jack Doyle - TE - Colts

The Indianapolis Star expects Jack Doyle to test free agency.

Doyle set career highs with a 59/584/5 line last year. The Colts want to keep him, but he’s expendable with Erik Swoope emerging and Dwayne Allen signed through 2019. Doyle shouldn't struggle for interest in a shallow tight end market.

Per Rotoword  

Think it would be a mistake to let him walk.  Cut Allen and keep Doyle.  Much more reliable

Joseph.  

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, theanarchist said:

This sucks. I think Doyle is a must keep. He can block and he has emerged as a good target in the passing game.

I don't think he's a must keep.  He is an above average TE, but it's not like he is a superstar that would break our team apart if he left.

1 hour ago, James said:

Definitely dont pay whatever it takes. Doyle is good, but he is not special.

Yes, exactly.  He's a good player, but he's not a great player worth overpaying for.  He should obviously get a raise, but he doesn't need to break our bank.  He isn't irreplacable.

11 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

This surprises me........I'd let him go............we have depth at TE

Not really.  Swoope showed signs of improvement as a receiver last year, but not enough to be confident he's going to be the answer, plus he isn't the blocker Doyle is.  Allen has struggled with health issues most of his career, as well.  If Doyle leaves, we have Swoope and Allen as the only 2 TEs on the roster -- which to me is not 'deep' by any means.

I'd like to see Doyle brought back, but only if it's at a reasonable price.  There is no reason we need to be breaking the bank for him.  I am sure we can draft or find a FA at TE that isn't going to be a major drop off from Doyle.  That said, if he leaves, we definitely have a need for TE.

22 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I don't think he's a must keep.  He is an above average TE, but it's not like he is a superstar that would break our team apart if he left.

Yes, exactly.  He's a good player, but he's not a great player worth overpaying for.  He should obviously get a raise, but he doesn't need to break our bank.  He isn't irreplacable.

Not really.  Swoope showed signs of improvement as a receiver last year, but not enough to be confident he's going to be the answer, plus he isn't the blocker Doyle is.  Allen has struggled with health issues most of his career, as well.  If Doyle leaves, we have Swoope and Allen as the only 2 TEs on the roster -- which to me is not 'deep' by any means.

I'd like to see Doyle brought back, but only if it's at a reasonable price.  There is no reason we need to be breaking the bank for him.  I am sure we can draft or find a FA at TE that isn't going to be a major drop off from Doyle.  That said, if he leaves, we definitely have a need for TE.

2 vet TEs is deep.....we will obviously add a 3rd...

'I dont care if Swoope ever blocks anyone..he has major potential..

Cant bid on guys like Doykle...Allen is good blocker....and Swoope is going to be a better pass catcher than either one will ever be.

Draft a 3rd TE...and use the money on positions where we need help

30 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Cant bid on guys like Doykle...Allen is good blocker....and Swoope is going to be a better pass catcher than either one will ever be.

We don''t need to squander a draft pick on a TE. 

Please stop. 

Couple of points....

I just went to the IndyStar website and I didn't see anything that said Jack Doyle will test free agency.

But, even if he is,  it's expected.    He's a free agent.      Just because we haven't signed him yet,  doesn't mean we won't.      Last year the Colts signed Dwayne Allen on March 7th.     So, we've got 3 and a half weeks before that date.

I suspect what we have here is a difference of opinion on Doyle's value.   So the Colts are telling him to go test the market and see what offers he gets.    They'd then like the chance to beat it.       If we like the number we'll pay it.     If we don't,  we won't.  

I suspect we will pay what we have to.    And I suspect it will be around $6 Mill per over 4-5 years.    That's his market give or take.

48 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Swoope had 15 receptions in 16 games (7 of which he didn't record a single reception) in his 3rd year in the league.  Granted he came from basketball and is still getting used to football, there is absolutely nothing to suggest that Swoope is definitely 'going to be a better pass catch than either one will ever be'.... Doyle had almost 4 times as much receptions as him and 5x as many touchdowns, and Allen had >2x as many receptions and 6x as many touchdowns. 

I wouldn't really call Swoope a 'vet TE', as last year is the only time in his life he was active for more than 1 NFL game and he did nothing  more than show some flashes/potential.  Allen has also struggled with injuries much of his career.  If we lose Doyle, TE is definitely a position of need for the Indianapolis Colts.  I'm not saying break the bank on Doyle, but we've got more pressing issues that we ought to be thinking about dealing with in the draft, IMO.  Bringing Doyle back for a reasonable price absolutely makes sense.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Couple of points....

I just went to the IndyStar website and I didn't see anything that said Jack Doyle will test free agency.

But, even if he is,  it's expected.    He's a free agent.      Just because we haven't signed him yet,  doesn't mean we won't.      Last year the Colts signed Dwayne Allen on March 7th.     So, we've got 3 and a half weeks before that date.

I suspect what we have here is a difference of opinion on Doyle's value.   So the Colts are telling him to go test the market and see what offers he gets.    They'd then like the chance to beat it.       If we like the number we'll pay it.     If we don't,  we won't.  

I suspect we will pay what we have to.    And I suspect it will be around $6 Mill per over 4-5 years.    That's his market give or take.

$6 million seems a bit much if we're keeping Allen, too.  I guess he's got the argument that Allen just signed a 4 year $29 mil (7.25 mil/season) last year and Doyle outperformed him this year.  I don't think it'd be very wise to have $13+mil invested into 2 TEs, unless we're going to be changing our offense quite.

30 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

i tried to put on my own thoughts on the original post but its not showing up.

I would let Allen walk (depending on dead cap money) and keep Doyle.  He was clutch on most occasions.

Reminds me of Dallas Clark in a way.

Joseph

3M in dead cap to basically save 2.9M. 

Not a huge hit to the cap, but then again not a substantial enough amount in savings to merit it. 

I think we can afford to keep them both for one year if we really want to. Becomes much more cap friendly to ditch Allen a year from now. 

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

$6 million seems a bit much if we're keeping Allen, too.  I guess he's got the argument that Allen just signed a 4 year $29 mil (7.25 mil/season) last year and Doyle outperformed him this year.  I don't think it'd be very wise to have $13+mil invested into 2 TEs, unless we're going to be changing our offense quite.

Well....     I don't see us getting him for less than 5.     So, we have a floor and a ceiling.

We can afford both players for a year.   And if Allen plays better,  then we can afford both for several years.

I'll be very, very surprised if Doyle isn't back on the roster in 2017.      I don't see Balalrd's first big move being that he does NOT bring back Jack Doyle.     I think that would be a mistake.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Yup,

The reason Grigson got fired was because he signed Dwayne Allen and didn't tie up Doyle last spring.  Now we run the risk of having to keep the second best TE on the team while Doyle might leave.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm?

The internet can sometimes be tricky with such things so I thought I'd ask...

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm assuming this is sarcasm?

The internet can sometimes be tricky with such things so I thought I'd ask...

Nope.  Dwayne Allen was a terrible signing, it was at the time, and it was obvious last year Doyle could play.  

I loved it when I said last year that Allen had catching problems, then a bunch of know nothing stats guys start throwing numbers and actually using stats to try to show DA could catch.  After this season, everybody knows he can't.

C'mon, you know this forum.  For some reason D Allen has a following that goes beyond reason, and I don't think it has to do with football.

Irsay can't come out and say that Grigson screwed up the TE signings, and he's not going to throw DA under the bus. Neither will the media.

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

3M in dead cap to basically save 2.9M. 

Not a huge hit to the cap, but then again not a substantial enough amount in savings to merit it. 

I think we can afford to keep them both for one year if we really want to. Becomes much more cap friendly to ditch Allen a year from now. 

I agree. We have plenty of cap space. I think Ballard sees the value in TE play in KC. Allen is the one we would like to get rid of but I think we are ok cap wise to carry both for a year and make a judgement next offseason if we want to move on from Dwayne. I generally don't want to spend big $ or picks on a TE because of the production over replacement isn't significant but if Doyle's market isn't crazy then I think he is retained. I think anything over 3 yrs 5mil per it gets into a grey area but I think Jack is the type of player we want to bring back. 

One thing we have to be aware of though is Ballard is coming from an entirely different organization and might have a whole different outlook and evaluation of our guys than us. We might look at a guy and think he is playing ok because for us he is so much better than any alternative we have...but from the outside eye he may not be acceptable and they might move on. I think we may seem a lot of that this offseason. He may see some things that catch his eye about some of our guys or he may think good enough for us is not good enough for him. I'm really anxious to see how he operates.

He really needs to be brought back. And I think CB will bring him back. DA is NOT reliable. He's ended up being an overpaid number 2 TE. Who would've thought that after his rookie year? If it would save cap room I think we should trade or release Allen. The article is right. Swoop is developing IMO. He showed some flashes and I think Doyle and Swoop could give us 500 receiving yards a piece next season.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The reason Grigson got fired was because he signed Dwayne Allen and didn't tie up Doyle last spring. 

I won't dispute it.  

Of course there were 303 other legitimate reasons to fire Grigson.