Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vontae Davis

AKB

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

It's not even a debate guy. The numbers don't lie.

We all know what Davis is, and is not capable of. Look what happened to Brown when they took Vontae off of him and bracketed him.

It's not rocket science. Davis struggles against the twitchy receivers. 

I said 100% healthy. But okay guy.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

It's not even a debate guy. The numbers don't lie.

We all know what Davis is, and is not capable of. Look what happened to Brown when they took Vontae off of him and bracketed him.

It's not rocket science. Davis struggles against the twitchy receivers. 

It is the same result we got when they put Talib on T.Y.Hilton (Jack Del Rio coaching D in 2014 AFCCG), and when Wade Philips became coach, it immediately changed with the Broncos. Good DCs recognize it faster as to what is working and what is not. 

This is make or break year for Monachino, which is sad because he was brought into a bad situation and he has to know he is working for an HC who will be more likely to see his co-ordinators go to save his position when push came to shove.

8 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Your opinion. There was a #DavisIsland in 2014. And I remember him shutting down Emmanuel Sanders. 

8 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Remember how the coaches left him on one of the fastest, shiftiest receivers that virtually no corner in the league can cover 1 on 1?

*shivers*

Pretty sure a top cover corner like we all like to say Vontae is should accept going one on one against anyone. I understand it's AB but that's why you have a week to prepare you can't come out on Thanksgiving primetime and get destroyed all night .. *shivers* plus I like vontae but that was a rough one

On 2/11/2017 at 10:32 PM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

While I completely agree with you, I'd like to say that Demaryius Thomas is soft as Charmin TP.  Both mentally and physically 

DT is one of the most overrated receivers in the game. Not even top 15 IMO. Vontae locks him up with ease.

I like me some Vontae and I hope we're able to keep him past this contract, but I always worry about CB's and WR's battling lower body injuries.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/vontae-davis-player-injuries

It seems like CB's start regressing when their legs start to go. I hope Vontae can reverse the injury bug because his injury report has been stacked since 2013 whenever we started seeing him listed with groin injuries.

On 2/11/2017 at 4:37 PM, AustinnKaine said:

I don't think release Davis is anywhere near being on the table. The only people on this team with a safer future next season are Luck, Kelly, And Hilton. 

I wouldn't release him either let him play out his final year on contract. But he's far from safe man, 29 after 2 bad years let's just be real. Can't stay healthy, plays through injuries and I love him for it, but its just to get burnt and eventually limp off the feild. He's definitely on the trade block, and might even go for like a 4th, I'd like a 3rd tho

I think Vontea is getting past his prime would not be upset if he was traded and a pair of CBs were drafter this year . If we were closer to a SB run might feel different but we are a few years from having  complete roster and by that time Vontea will be way past his prime .

On 2/13/2017 at 5:31 PM, AustinnKaine said:

lengthy but insightful

I missed this first time around- good video.

Very interesting and as you say insightful.  He makes it sound like the adjustments are easy though... not so sure they are.  Particularly against AB.

I couldn't even tell you the last time the Colts had a corner on their roster as talented as Davis. Quite possibly never. For a team that lacks play-makers on defense, we can't afford to allow someone like Vontae to walk. We should try to extend guys like Davis, Mewhort and Moncrief as soon as possible.

21 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Good video. What it shows more than anything is how sound of a tackler that Davis is. He may have lost a 1/2 step in coverage, but he wraps people up and doesn't give up yards after the catch. I only wish I could say that about our LBs.

Wait a minute...how about, bear with me here.. we move Davis AND Geathers to LB?

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I know you're just being facetious, but I want to be on record as saying that I like em both just fine where they are.

Agreed, I think Vontae is/was perfect for the man scheme we seem to want to play more often than not. 

As for Geathers, as other posters have pointed out LB/S is such a generic label these days. To have a player who can drop down into the box when needed gives us much needed flexibility in what looks we can show. To pigeon hole him by forcing him to bulk would defeat the purpose somewhat. 

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

Agreed, I think Vontae is/was perfect for the man scheme we seem to want to play more often than not. 

As for Geathers, as other posters have pointed out LB/S is such a generic label these days. To have a player who can drop down into the box when needed gives us much needed flexibility in what looks we can show. To pigeon hole him by forcing him to bulk would defeat the purpose somewhat. 

I'm fine with them lining up Geathers in different spots depending on down and distance, but a full-time move to LB seems silly after the huge leap he made from his rookie year at safety.

On 2/12/2017 at 0:45 PM, chad72 said:

I just remember him being on DT most of the time we played the Broncos. 

First game in 2014 vs Emmanuel Sanders, I doubt he was on him most of the time - Sanders went 6 for 77 yards, not shut down by any means, Julius Thomas did most of the damage thanks to Laron Landry and our TE coverage. Second game in 2014 vs Emmanuel Sanders, our whole D played well, and Peyton didn't. Sanders still had 7 catches but not as many yards. 2015 - Sanders was streaking down the middle for a TD in Indy.

Against the Steelers, they put him with safety help with Mike Adams, Antonio Brown still caught the ball. But if you want to believe VD can hang with Antonio Brown when 100% 1-on-1, go ahead and believe. I guess you can always say "whenever he cannot hang with AB, he must not be 100%", so there is that.

Vontae, The Disease, Davis has a lot of great CB qualities but you are correct, speed is not one of them.  That is why when the Colts have had a pass rush, Davis looked great, without one, especially against speed receivers he is going to look pretty pedestrian.  

If the Colts can get a rush and keep most throws in the 25 yard and under range, Davis will be all over it.

19 hours ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

You've been here long enough to know that anyone who isnt on the ALL PRO team needs to go!!! 

As far as this forum is concerned anyways....... :lol:

Yup.  WRs are never supposed to miss a pass, RBs are never supposed to get less than 4 yards, DBs are never supposed to allow a catch and the front seven are never supposed to allow the RB to get past the LOS.

It's one of the reasons I don't come to this board as often as I used to.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2017 at 6:49 PM, Boomstick1 said:

Where was I? How about watching Vontae play through injuries and carry this joke of a defense even though he shouldn't have to. We are better WHENEVER he's on the field, period.

14 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Though Vontae should have been able to cover his half of the field with no Safety help....plus juggling three bowling pins and whistling the Star Spangled Banner!

Vonte is normally good medicine, he can't do it all tho!

Im not so sure Grandpa was buying the no hippie comment.... lol