Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Art Jones

dw49

Anyone other than me think there's a chance he could be back next year ? His play has been ravaged by injury for the 3 years with Indy. But he's still only 30 years old .. If he agreed to a similar contract as last year , he would only cost 2.5 in base salary plus incentives that would kick in if he regained his form.. Everyone is saying he's 100% certain to be gone as he counts 7,300,000 vs the cap and we save a little over 5 mill if we cut him. But if he does what he did last year . its FAR different from that.

Here's the way I look at it ..

If he signs for the same 2.5 mill base as last year and you add the 1.1 mill prorated bonus , he has a cap number of 3.6 million. If you cut him he counts 2.2 mill (1.1 for last 2 years of his deal) in dead money against the cap. 

Thus if he is willing to take a pay cut , it's really a different story than looking  at his contract. He actually cost you about 1.5 mill in 2017 cap money . The you would add to that the earned incentives if he played well. 

6 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Anyone other than me think there's a chance he could be back next year ? His play has been ravaged by injury for the 3 years with Indy. But he's still only 30 years old .. If he agreed to a similar contract as last year , he would only cost 2.5 in base salary plus incentives that would kick in if he regained his form.. Everyone is saying he's 100% certain to be gone as he counts 7,300,000 vs the cap and we save a little over 5 mill if we cut him. But if he does what he did last year . its FAR different from that.

Here's the way I look at it ..

If he signs for the same 2.5 mill base as last year and you add the 1.1 mill prorated bonus , he has a cap number of 3.6 million. If you cut him he counts 2.2 mill (1.1 for last 2 years of his deal) in dead money against the cap. 

Thus if he is willing to take a pay cut , it's really a different story than looking  at his contract. He actually cost you about 1.5 mill in 2017 cap money . The you would add to that the earned incentives if he played well. 

+1.     

I'm for bringing Jones back on a reduced contract just like he played for this year.

Jones can play all three spots.    He's quality depth at a reasonable price.

I'd be shocked if he didn't agree to another year of a reduced contract.

If you cut him,  you've got to replace him and odds are whoever they get will cost more,  not less.

Depth is invaluable.     I'm all for keeping Jones one more year at the right price......

Good post.

Yeah, I could see them retain him until at least this summer. Might be cut when the roster has to be cut to 53 if they have acquired a suitable replacement then in the draft or FA. You have to remember a lot of moves are still made after the draft when teams knows more about what talent they have acquired.

Above decent players are released on teams with a lot of talent in that position so that is happy shopping time for a team in dire need of players like the Colts. 

This off season is going to be fun:rock:

I think he's as good as cut. 

He played decently when he played, but he never played... 17 games in 3 years I think he played and it's not like he set the world on fire in those games. 

He missed 4 last year because of suspension and ended the last two on IR. The very definition of unreliable. I don't see what he brings to the team. 

I do see your point. At a reduced salary, he won't be a risk or a hindrance as far as building a defense for the future goes. I just don't think he's shown that he can be available when we need him.

I'd rather see a young player with upside take the roster spot... It's better than bringing up a P.S. player when Art is injured. JMO, though. 

I don't think he brings any value to the team. It's great to have depth but when you use him you never know when he will get injured. He's always rusty because when he is healthy he's coming off of injury. Even as a back up, I feel it's not worth it because he will just get injured as a back up as well, whether that be in practice or in an actual game, won't matter. Sorry but if you can't stay healthy you aren't worth keeping. 

5 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I don't think he brings any value to the team. It's great to have depth but when you use him you never know when he will get injured. He's always rusty because when he is healthy he's coming off of injury. Even as a back up, I feel it's not worth it because he will just get injured as a back up as well, whether that be in practice or in an actual game, won't matter. Sorry but if you can't stay healthy you aren't worth keeping. 

Whilst i mostly agree with your post, tell that to Bob Sanders.

I'll be clear in that I dont think Jones is anything like or near the same playing level as Sanders was.... I just meant in relation to your last comment.

1 minute ago, Chucklez said:

I'll be clear in that I dont think Jones is anything like or near the same playing level as Sanders was.... I just meant in relation to your last comment.

I thought about Bob Sanders too, you weren't the only one. But in the end, it was health concerns that kept us from keeping him on the team. No doubt a HOF talent when healthy. 

Art Jones just isn't a good player... I guess he won't hurt the Colts badly as a backup... But I wish we had a backup that had a chance of developing into a good player... Art is only gonna get worse with age, and he is already pretty bad and never available. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

+1.     

I'm for bringing Jones back on a reduced contract just like he played for this year.

Jones can play all three spots.    He's quality depth at a reasonable price.

I'd be shocked if he didn't agree to another year of a reduced contract.

If you cut him,  you've got to replace him and odds are whoever they get will cost more,  not less.

Depth is invaluable.     I'm all for keeping Jones one more year at the right price......

Good post.

Yeah.. what's the harm ? We have no idea how the Colts view him but if we don'ts him cut in the next week or so , maybe it's a sign both sides want to do one more year ? 

43 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Depth without availability doesn't do us much good.

24 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Well put.  He can't be considered 'depth' unless he can actually play. 

But the issue is really with his contract.  Is it worth paying him and take the risk? 

Totally agree. And it's not worth paying him another year to find out what they already know: he is injury prone and rarely available. That is not quality depth. Move on. 

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Amend that sentence to "Unless you are an elite player if you can't stay on the field you arn't worth keeping" and it's pretty much the same thing.

Sanders might have been worth keeping because having him healthy at just the right time can put the team over the top.  

But no one is going to say that about Art Jones.  No one says "Well if we could just keep Art Jones on the field, we could contend for the SB."  

All they can say "Well on the occasion that he is able to play he's decent depth"  That's not worth his cap hit, no where near.  

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

Yeah.. what's the harm ? We have no idea how the Colts view him but if we don'ts him cut in the next week or so , maybe it's a sign both sides want to do one more year ? 

This is EXACTLY my hope too.

Give him a chance and let's see what happens.     If worst comes to worst, we can always cut Jones in August.

Look here. I have a couple points here. I want him cut if it saves us a few more million to use in FA. But if we could restructure his contract or something, bring him back with a really low cap hit then yeah that'd be fine. My other point is Jones was a dang good player when we signed him. He was one of those ascending players who was getting better and better in Baltimore. H broke out his last year in Baltimore and I loved it when we signed him. But injuries have just screwed him up. IF not for the injuries Jones would have been a mainstay on our DL the last 3 years. And don't forget his first year with us, when he played. When he played.....He was an absolute force against the run and played very well all the way around.

Hold on a minute. While the chance of Chandler hitting the market is almost nil. We may want to hold onto Jones until we know that for sure. Until we know Chandler cant be had. You know he'd love to play with his brother, so other than the buckets of money, playing with his brother would be cool for him you know. So.. Something to consider maybe.

I understand injuries, and am glad he took a paycut, but the suspension on top of it is what breaks the camels back for me. Thought he was different from his brothers. 

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Knowing-When-To-Move-On-From-A-Player-Key-For-Chris-Ballard/de081a5f-0c57-45f2-9bb2-4108285b92d4

I would be surprised if Ballard kept him. Keeping him doesn't make us better. He's not a person I want in my locker room. I'd rather have someone younger and healthier.

Ridgeway and McGill are as good as Jones... and are paid less. Even 2 mil. is too much for depth player. Cut Jones (post June 1 desig.) and Langford, save 10 mil. (+5 mil. for Jackson, +2 for McAfee), sign Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams (BAL). Starters: Anderson, Williams, Campbell. Depth: McGill, Parry, Ridgeway, Kerr. + rookie ILB, rookie P. Same money. Better players.

I'm gonna pass on Art Jones. He can't stay healthy, his impact when on the field has been unimpressive, and I would like to see player who can get upfield more effectively than he can/does. If it were up to me, he would have walked out right behind Jackson yesterday; don't forget he missed the first four games of the season with a PED suspension.

I could see them keeping him on another reworked contract, but I don't like the games played incentive for him again. To me, it's not about whether he plays, it's about whether he plays well. I'd rather replace him.