Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why No Review of touchdown???

HOZER

Here's my thought.

First of all, I think it was a touchdown, second of all, I don't think there was enough evidence to over turn it.  Lastly, it was only 2nd down if I remember right?  I am sure they would have punched it in from inches away, considering they were slicing up that Falcons defense from the 4th quarter on. 

52 minutes ago, Yehoodi said:

Not sure if this will come through as I am not on Twitter or Myface or Instasnap,

I knew it, your Bill Belichick!!! That explains so much!!!

Link worked, at that angle it's definitely questionable IMO due to the DBs thigh.......

Either way, it was reviewed, called a TD, confetti everywhere, and Tommy rode off into the sunset, barf.

Im over it.....for now lol.

43 minutes ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

I knew it, your Bill Belichick!!! That explains so much!!!

Link worked, at that angle it's definitely questionable IMO due to the DBs thigh.......

Either way, it was reviewed, called a TD, confetti everywhere, and Tommy rode off into the sunset, barf.

Im over it.....for now lol.

Yah, I am just here to draft posts that are in the best interest of the board and to relay information.  :).

Glad the linked worked. 

It is tough to say, the glitch is that tie goes to the call on the field.  And as you indicated there was an inertia with the confetti on the field that made it even more tie goes to the call on the field, tie plus if you will.  I think about game 6 of the 1999 NHL Cup finals when Hull's toe was in the crease, and the post game stuff had started.    Not as clear as that but it looks really close.   

20 hours ago, Yehoodi said:

Not sure if this will come through as I am not on Twitter or Myface or Instasnap, but here is a video a guy name Salty Jets Fan put on his twitter account.   it looks closer than i remember.  The tricky part is that the call on the field is a TD and the DBs legs are blocking the ball.  Also it would be nice if he kept the video rolling a bit to see White's arm extend in the endzone to get a better perspective.  

Maybe someone who is on Twitter and/or is better at cutting and pasting post can post this video.

https://twitter.com/keenan_parente

if the above does not work, just google salty jets fan twitter.   I saw this on an Atlanta fan forum.  Some one on an Atlanta forum was able to directly post the video from the twitter account. 

No way IMO you could reverse the TD call with that video or any other replay that I saw. You need to see that the ball is still BEHIND the goal line when his knee first hits.  No way there was evidence of that. This is one of those calls that was close and could never be reversed regardless of what the original call was. I was pulling for Atlanta but anyone that tries to find fault with the OT call is being silly. Better to blame Atlanta for not simply running the ball from the 24 yard line and attempting around a 42 harder with the roof closed.

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

No way IMO you could reverse the TD call with that video or any other replay that I saw. You need to see that the ball is still BEHIND the goal line when his knee first hits.  No way there was evidence of that. This is one of those calls that was close and could never be reversed regardless of what the original call was. I was pulling for Atlanta but anyone that tries to find fault with the OT call is being silly. Better to blame Atlanta for not simply running the ball from the 24 yard line and attempting around a 42 harder with the roof closed.

Yes agreed from the angle that was shown by the Jets fan you can not tell one way or other, also, he did not show the entire play.  In addition, I did watch the game again last night and the shot from the other sideline clearly shows the ball touching the goal line and the knees are about 1-2 inches off the ground.  What happens is the Atlanta defender pushes the ball back a inch or two after it touches the goal line, but you can not see this from the shot by the Jets fan as this is blocked by the defenders' leg, so you end up seeing the knee touch as White retouches the goal line.

I remember at the time feeling it was in without too much difficulty, but after that play the things were a kind of blur for me that night, so I would not put a gun to my head saying i thought he was in for sure till a rewatched the game.  And yes from the other sideline shot, the play is much clearer.   The jets fan was selective in what he posted. 

On 2/9/2017 at 0:55 AM, Yehoodi said:

All indications is that they reviewed the TD although they did not announce it as they more often do not do.   Both Brady and Edelman were waiting for the review.  For what it is worth on Sound effects they showed BB tell Edelman that they reviewed it.

As for the underlying review, to me, it look pretty clear that his knees were off the ground and that when the knee(s) hit the ball was at least breaking the plane of the goal line.  Plus as some one has already mentioned you need clear evidence of knee down ball not hitting plane to over turn. 

On 2/9/2017 at 1:15 PM, Yehoodi said:

Not sure if this will come through as I am not on Twitter or Myface or Instasnap, but here is a video a guy name Salty Jets Fan put on his twitter account.   it looks closer than i remember.  The tricky part is that the call on the field is a TD and the DBs legs are blocking the ball.  Also it would be nice if he kept the video rolling a bit to see White's arm extend in the endzone to get a better perspective.  

Maybe someone who is on Twitter and/or is better at cutting and pasting post can post this video.

https://twitter.com/keenan_parente

if the above does not work, just google salty jets fan twitter.   I saw this on an Atlanta fan forum.  Some one on an Atlanta forum was able to directly post the video from the twitter account. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/yes-the-nfl-reviewed-james-whites-super-bowl-ending-td-here-are-the-results/

I must say that twitter video raises eyebrows but is at a different angle than a different one also in ( See above link )

Slow mo of the play , and after the score it pointed to 1 official who signaled  for a review, also the NFL announced supposedly to officials since no point  is taken and people will rush on the field after a a winnning TD  make sure a review of a wining TD is done fast

anyway the slo mo video shows the ref signaling for a review, it fails to show the ball over the plane of the TD line, HOWEVER, it clealy shows whites knees are both off the ground his hands are extended and cut off by another player  from view but are clearly at  the goal line , it was explained since the ball was held in such a way it was extended from his hands  ( though in twitter view i dont see ball extended beyond hands ) and his hand were at the goal line the ball must have broken the plane  by pure logic of the ball being in front of his hands from the way it was held and anything that was in front of his hands which again were at the goal line then the ball had to be over it , breaking its plane even though a playe  r had blocked the camera view beyond the goal line in the endzone   thus where the ball had to be by anyones clear logic was beyond the plane of the goal line

Blandino explained it on the video i think

----------------

I have seen 3 views, ball is not beyond his hands as exaplined above by 1 officail but cradled , but nothing definitive to overturn and way to many people storming field as the nfl wworried would happen  making any review way to fast to be definitive and overturn and get fans back in seats

but still if called he was down I think that would opf been upheld as well as no clear evidence to overturn