Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why No Review of touchdown???

HOZER

Anyone else think that Whites knee was down before the ball broke the plane? The way the game was going,(and all the no-calls benefitting the patriots) I have no doubt in my mind that they probably would have punched it in on the next play, or just kicked a FG, but still, the touchdown should have been reviewed before the celebration started. Who knows, maybe they would have fumbled on next play?

https://www.google.com/amp/thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/05/watch-was-james-whites-knee-down-before-ball-crossed-goal-line/amp/?client=safari

5 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Even if they reviewed it.... you would have needed conclusive evidence to overturn the ruling on the field.

That is not conclusive. It would have resulted in a TD anyways.

Is that the only angle they had available? Just saying, a game ending play, during the Superbowl, should probably have been reviewed, IMO.

what pisses me off is the ref who ruled it a touchdown definitely could not see from that angle and you look at the pictures from where he was standing. I think he was just short but due to the confetti being released they really couldn't overturn it at that point. The thing I'm more upset about is that the NFL is the only football league left that still allows a coin toss to decide an overtime game. College football and even the terrible CFL both allow each teams offense to get a chance no matter what. Get it right already NFL. 

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

All scoring plays are reviewed

Must have been one quick review, that confetti and ensuing field celebration was instantaneous!!! If they reviewed it, and it was inconclusive(I believe he was short) then so be it.

100% of scoring plays are reviewed. Look at Brady after the lay as he remains calm knowing it has to be reviewed and declared before it is a ruling. If that play was not reviewed why has it not been a subject on any media? Hopefully, the OT rule will be changed soon allowing both sides to score. Everyone knew when NE when the overtime coin toss the game was over.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

100% of scoring plays are reviewed. Look at Brady after the lay as he remains calm knowing it has to be reviewed and declared before it is a ruling. If that play was not reviewed why has it not been a subject on any media? Hopefully, the OT rule will be changed soon allowing both sides to score. Everyone knew when NE when the overtime coin toss the game was over.

Ha, I refused to watch even one down of the SB so I don't know about that last play, but I agree about OT.

I'm a bit confused though, did NE 'win' the coin toss after regulation??? 

12 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

You didn't watch any of the game? Well in hindsight smart decision.

Ha, two years ago I started a tradition of boycotting the SB if the pats are playing. Instead I take my kids to an amusement park, it works out actually, as the parks are much less crowded....

Ha, the only problem is, my new tradition may eventually backfire and turn my girls into pats fans if they figure out that they get to go to Disneyland if the pats make the SB...

15 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Ha, two years ago I started a tradition of boycotting the SB if the pats are playing. Instead I take my kids to an amusement park, it works out actually, as the parks are much less crowded....

Ha, the only problem is, my new tradition may eventually backfire and turn my girls into pats fans if they figure out that they get to go to Disneyland if the pats make the SB...

Hahahah oh man, very good point!

I'll be doing kinda the same now. I'm gonna be the "check the phone for scores" fan.. I don't have the NFL ticket anymore and I only get Patriots and Giants. Unless we get a night game I'm taking a step back on the "National Patriots League"

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am jealous of Joe Buck, not only did he have the final call on a Great SB ending, he also had the final call in perhaps the greatest Game 7 in WS history. What a life he has!

Meh, he still has to look at that face in the mirror every day.

5 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

You didn't watch any of the game? Well in hindsight smart decision.

I dont watch NEanymore either (except vs Colts).  But the looks of SB ratings, many are boycotting watching. I dvr the NE super bowls now in case they get beat (like against giants). I watch them afterwards IF they lost.  It just gets my blood pressure too high KNOWING what lengths they go to win.  Might as well watch professional wrestling.

41 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Joe only has eyes for Troy !

I sometimes wonder about those two, lol.

This one is better.  I have had them in my collection for a few years just because I sometimes made fun of him a little with a friend of mine (now deceased sadly) 

I do actually like JB, but I get a little worn with him always being with Troy and always doing Dallas (hey new movie instead of Debbie?) or NFC etc....  Just saying.  I liked the World Series though, that was pretty cool!

Ok, I will stop now.  Joe Buck .... hip hip hooray 

images.jpeg

It was clearly a TD, stop being ridiculous. I believe the one possession OT rule assumes the toss losers have a defense, and they can stop the toss winners from scoring. Defense wins championships and all that. The Falcons had about half a dozen opportunities to seal the game, we should not be moaning about a coin toss......

If even a single * on any part of the football breaks the vertical plane at the *front* edge of the goal line it a touchdown -- and it's a touchdown the instant that plane is broken (anything that happens after that does not matter, although that's not an issue on this play).  It looked like a touchdown to me -- the ball appears over the front edge of the goal line but maybe not the back edge.

Are you looking at the front edge of the goal line or the back edge when you say it doesn't look like a touchdown?  Or, are you expecting the entire ball to cross the goal line?  I'm not trying to be confrontational, just curious what you see.

And BTW, I thought they did review it and confirm the play (although I could be wrong about that).

It was very close. Obviously would have been more thoroughly reviewed if it wasn't the end of OT in the SB. I wonder if the booth ref(s) or NY just radioed confirmation. I did get the impression of a delay but a short one. 

I'm just glad they didn't throw another freaking fade route. Is there a worse play in football in a clutch situation? 

3 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

It was clearly a TD, stop being ridiculous. I believe the one possession OT rule assumes the toss losers have a defense, and they can stop the toss winners from scoring. Defense wins championships and all that. The Falcons had about half a dozen opportunities to seal the game, we should not be moaning about a coin toss......

If it was as clear as you make it sound, there wouldn't be as many people questioning it, and not just Atlanta fans, google it. I didn't say the entire game hinged on that one play, Atlanta blew it and deserved to lose after the horrible display they put on after halftime, just a bit premature IMO.

3 hours ago, ponyboy said:

If even a single * on any part of the football breaks the vertical plane at the *front* edge of the goal line it a touchdown -- and it's a touchdown the instant that plane is broken (anything that happens after that does not matter, although that's not an issue on this play).  It looked like a touchdown to me -- the ball appears over the front edge of the goal line but maybe not the back edge.

Are you looking at the front edge of the goal line or the back edge when you say it doesn't look like a touchdown?  Or, are you expecting the entire ball to cross the goal line?  I'm not trying to be confrontational, just curious what you see.

And BTW, I thought they did review it and confirm the play (although I could be wrong about that).

Im looking at his knee first, looks down before the ball breaks the front edge, although, I will admit that other angle looks a little more convincing. 

All indications is that they reviewed the TD although they did not announce it as they more often do not do.   Both Brady and Edelman were waiting for the review.  For what it is worth on Sound effects they showed BB tell Edelman that they reviewed it.

As for the underlying review, to me, it look pretty clear that his knees were off the ground and that when the knee(s) hit the ball was at least breaking the plane of the goal line.  Plus as some one has already mentioned you need clear evidence of knee down ball not hitting plane to over turn. 

4 minutes ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

Im looking at his knee first, looks down before the ball breaks the front edge, although, I will admit that other angle looks a little more convincing. 

I have only seen if from the near side line camera, from what i remember, his knee did not look down and that his arm/ball was behind the defender's shin, and with the latter on the goal line, so from view point the ball had broken the plane.  I would not bet my life on it without looking at it a 4th time, but he looked in.

10 hours ago, ponyboy said:

On NFL Network they had Brady and Edelman mic up and both were yelling it had be reviewed. (Well Brady told Edelman who started yelling for everyone get off the field it isn't over yet lol) BB told Edelman it has been and they both (Brady and Edelman) started Celebrating. 

14 hours ago, BR-549 said:

I sometimes wonder about those two, lol.

This one is better.  I have had them in my collection for a few years just because I sometimes made fun of him a little with a friend of mine (now deceased sadly) 

I do actually like JB, but I get a little worn with him always being with Troy and always doing Dallas (hey new movie instead of Debbie?) or NFC etc....  Just saying.  I liked the World Series though, that was pretty cool!

Ok, I will stop now.  Joe Buck .... hip hip hooray 

images.jpeg

Troy and Joey Do Dallas?

Brady's final drive in OT consisted of first and second downs only. Atlanta was spent and could not so much as force a third down. What is Brady famous for? Recall a few years back when Peyton saying the only time he prayed was when NE had the ball with a minute or so to go when Brady threw a rare interception to lose that game. Manning could not even watch as he stared at the ground the entire time NE had the ball. As I posted earlier, the game was over when NE won the toss. (and it was a TD get over it).

Not sure if this will come through as I am not on Twitter or Myface or Instasnap, but here is a video a guy name Salty Jets Fan put on his twitter account.   it looks closer than i remember.  The tricky part is that the call on the field is a TD and the DBs legs are blocking the ball.  Also it would be nice if he kept the video rolling a bit to see White's arm extend in the endzone to get a better perspective.  

Maybe someone who is on Twitter and/or is better at cutting and pasting post can post this video.

https://twitter.com/keenan_parente

if the above does not work, just google salty jets fan twitter.   I saw this on an Atlanta fan forum.  Some one on an Atlanta forum was able to directly post the video from the twitter account.