Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking ahead: Super Bowl 52 in Minneapolis

oldunclemark

When I first heard the NFL awarded the Super Bow to Minneapolis...it seemed like they were risking a two week disaster.

Folks in California, Texas, Florida may not be feel the urge to spend two weeks in cold country..even if their team is playing

But I'm reading the plans for SB 52 and this could be very good.

In Minnesota, apparently, they have an annual 'Winter Carnival'  and they're going to tie that into the Super Bowl next year

In years past they're built a giant Ice structure that people can visit......Minneapolis is dressed up for winter

Lots of ice skating and skiing......snow related events all over the state.....hockey events...the Winter carnival sounds like fun...if its 20 degrees

Obviously 'Mother Nature' could shut all this down with 70 inches of snow or 40 below zero wind chills.

But I'm thinking: Go for it..

In other words..lets not pretend we arent trying to do a 2-week event in the dead of winter...in Minnesota

Sell visitors on the beauty and wonder of ice, cold and snow...   Embrace the North!!!

and hope the Vikings win the NFC

9 minutes ago, CF4L said:

The Vikings aren't winning the NFC(they aren't good enough)

Especially not next season no way the NFL would want the home team to represent in the SB they would lose so much money out of it.

You may be missing the point..

the idea is that you can attract people with the promise of cold weather...Tell them they'll love the cold

They have whats called 'Frozen Family Fun' nights with rides and contests and winter parades.

There's  'polar bear' contests where people who have lost their minds dress in wet suits and jump in to nearly frozen lakes..  ....Celebrations of winter....I guess its been going on for 100 years.

Well, they're going to ramp it up for Super Bowl 52... It will be unique

16 minutes ago, CF4L said:

The Vikings aren't winning the NFC(they aren't good enough)

Especially not next season no way the NFL would want the home team to represent in the SB they would lose so much money out of it.

It doesn't matter if the Vikings are in the game or not.  Minneapolis is hosting the super bowl next year

On 2/5/2017 at 1:49 PM, jvan1973 said:

It doesn't matter if the Vikings are in the game or not.  Minneapolis is hosting the super bowl next year

I know that but I saw the last part about hope the Vikings win the NFC made it seem that people think they will rep the NFC.

It would be nice but I doubt it as long as the Pats aren't in it I'll be thrilled.

6 hours ago, Synthetic said:

And the NFL ain't paying for a thing. City of Minnesota will pay for everything. 

Rich get richer, poor get poorer. 

The city makes millions on having a superbowl. Why do you think so many cities try to get it every single year.

I dont think there's any way Houston failed to bank big cash/

I dont know why some argued that Indianapolis didnt make money when it was here.

Local businesses raked it in.....from what I understand..

For Minneapolis, I just love the concept of 'using what you've got'

People in Dallas or Seattle and Oakland might not be crawling over each other to book a week in Minnesota in February. But, instead of  saying, "We sure hope it doesnt snow a lot on Super Bowl week...

if you portray it as a rare chance to see a true 'Winter Wonderland', an experience of a lifetime separate from the game....sleigh rides, parades.....outdoor ice shows....

....Warm weather fans might want to come and bring the kids