Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl LI (51) NFL Championship Game Thread

LucasOilStadium

Hi, Colts Nation!  :)  The NFL's enduring 2016 season finally concludes tonight, when the New England Patriots play the Atlanta Falcons to see who will also earn and win the Vince Lombardi Trophy in Super Bowl LI being played at the NRG (Energy) Stadium, in Houston, Texas.

Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, and Erin Andrews are announcing the game worldwide for The NFL On FOX, including locally in Indianapolis, on WXIN FOX Channel 59, live on HD.

No injuries, but I want to see the Falcons Rise Up, and win their first Super Bowl for Atlanta!

http://www.nfl.com/super-bowl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_LI

http://www.footballdb.com/

Super Bowl LI  - Patriots  Vs.  Falcons  - Live NFL Game Center:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017020500/2016/POST22/patriots@falcons#menu=gameinfo&tab=preview

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, LucasOilStadium said:

Hi, Colts Nation!  :)  The NFL's enduring 2016 season finally concludes tonight, when the New England Patriots play the Atlanta Falcons to see who will also earn and win the Vince Lombardi Trophy in Super Bowl LI being played at the NRG (Energy) Stadium, in Houston, Texas.

Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, and Erin Andrews are announcing the game worldwide for The NFL On FOX, including locally in Indianapolis, on WXIN FOX Channel 59, live on HD.

No injuries, but I want to see the Falcons Rise Up, and win their first Super Bowl for Atlanta!

http://www.nfl.com/super-bowl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_LI

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017020500/2016/POST22/patriots@falcons#menu=gameinfo&tab=preview

Thank you, LOS. Many of us want the same thing:

"Falcons Rise Up"

Michael Irvin brought up a great point just now. He was asked if the Patriots win tonight is it the greatest Dynasty of all-time? He said yes but not the best team ever. He said his Dallas teams that won the SB would wipe the floor with any of their teams. I honestly agree that any of those Cowboys would beat any of their teams. I don't think wipe the floor but Dallas had better teams the years they won. I don't think any of the Pats teams were better than the 1989 49ers or 1994 49ers either regarding their run.

over-under is 58........////30-27 is under..I'd go under ....low confidence there...

Atlanta gets 3 points most everywhere....so Id take the Falcons...top scoring team in the NFL

3 covers overtime most likely and Atlanta will keep throwing no matter how far they are behind or ahead

Tough to go against the league's top scoring team in what will feel like a home game for them

19 minutes ago, P-Vegas said:

I'm going against the bitterness. I hope to see history tonight, as we may never see this again.  My prediction is Patriots win, and it won't be close.

What about next season? What will be the difference, more history? What will change? If the Pats win this season who is to say they wont do it again next season? I don't see them falling off. I really don't think it's bitterness for most people, it's we are tired of seeing the same team win every season.

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

over-under is 58........////30-27 is under..I'd go under ....low confidence there...

Atlanta gets 3 points most everywhere....so Id take the Falcons...top scoring team in the NFL

3 covers overtime most likely and Atlanta will keep throwing no matter how far they are behind or ahead

Tough to go against the league's top scoring team in what will feel like a home game for them

What is hilarious is I have predicted 34-24 Pats = 58 exactly. Vegas needs to quit cheating off my Posts (sarcasm)

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Michael Irvin brought up a great point just now. He was asked if the Patriots win tonight is it the greatest Dynasty of all-time? He said yes but not the best team ever. He said his Dallas teams that won the SB would wipe the floor with any of their teams. I honestly agree that any of those Cowboys would beat any of their teams. I don't think wipe the floor but Dallas had better teams the years they won. I don't think any of the Pats teams were better than the 1989 49ers or 1994 49ers either regarding their run.

Michael Irvin....don't listen to anything he says.  This would absolutely not be the greatest dynasty of all time.  I read a comment the other day that said the Pats haven't blown anyone out in their Super Bowls.  In that sense, they haven't been as dominant as other dynasties (49ers stomped the Dolphins and Broncos, Cowboys nearly beat every team in a blowout in their Super Bowl wins).  That's not to say the Pats are a bad team or a bad organization.  They're very well-run.  But I wouldn't put them as the greatest dynasty of all-time because they could easily be 0-6 (or 6-0) in Super Bowls.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What about next season? What will be the difference, more history? What will change? If the Pats win this season who is to say that wont do it again next season? I don't see them falling off. I really don't think it's bitterness for most people, it's we are tired of seeing the same team win every season.

Brady will be 40.

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

Michael Irvin....don't listen to anything he says.  This would absolutely not be the greatest dynasty of all time.  I read a comment the other day that said the Pats haven't blown anyone out in their Super Bowls.  In that sense, they haven't been as dominant as other dynasties (49ers stomped the Dolphins and Broncos, Cowboys nearly beat every team in a blowout in their Super Bowl wins).  That's not to say the Pats are a bad team or a bad organization.  They're very well-run.  But I wouldn't put them as the greatest dynasty of all-time because they could easily be 0-6 (or 6-0) in Super Bowls.

Right.  If they were 0-6 that would mean they haven't maintained an elite level of play year after year.

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

They've made 7 SBs in 16 years with Brady starting. They're about to win their 5th and in this era of football, that is pretty damn impressive. And just because all those other dynasties blew out their competition, that doesn't mean they were better. A team has to be mentally tough to win close games. Frankly, those are probably more impressive than blowouts

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think being a Dynasty over along time is different than having the best team of all-time for a certain season. To me the best Pats team is 2004 but they weren't as great as the 1992 Cowboys or 1989 49ers for example. The 2006 Colts would even give them a run for their money especially if the game was at Indy. The Colts were 10-0 at home that season.

4 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

They've made 7 SBs in 16 years with Brady starting. They're about to win their 5th and in this era of football, that is pretty damn impressive. And just because all those other dynasties blew out their competition, that doesn't mean they were better. A team has to be mentally tough to win close games. Frankly, those are probably more impressive than blowouts

Back in those days, there were few competitive Super Bowls.  In fact, the Super Bowl had a reputation for being a lousy football game for a good stretch.

8 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

They're extremely successful.  But if you ask me, they don't check enough to be the greatest dynasty of all-time.  I'm not arguing that they're a bad team.  They are still a very successful franchise and they have accomplished a dynasty.  Pittsburgh made it to 4 in 6 years, going 4-0.  San Fran made it to 4 in 9 years, going 4-0.  Dallas made it to 3 in 4 years, going 3-0.  In the 2000s, the Pats made it to 4 in 7 years, going 3-1.  Since 2005, they only have 1 Super Bowl victory.  Again, they're an exceptionally successful franchise; I just don't think they meet the very high standards required to be called the greatest dynasty of all time.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think being a Dynasty over along time is different than having the best team of all-time for a certain season. To me the best Pats team is 2004 but they weren't as great as the 1992 Cowboys or 1989 49ers for example. The 2006 Colts would even give them a run for their money especially if the game was at Indy. The Colts were 10-0 at home that season.

I agree.  And if you want to be labeled as the greatest dynasty of all time, I think you need a better record than 1 Super Bowl victory in the last 10 years.

8 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

They're extremely successful.  But if you ask me, they don't check enough to be the greatest dynasty of all-time.  I'm not arguing that they're a bad team.  They are still a very successful franchise and they have accomplished a dynasty.  Pittsburgh made it to 4 in 6 years, going 4-0.  San Fran made it to 4 in 9 years, going 4-0.  Dallas made it to 3 in 4 years, going 3-0.  In the 2000s, the Pats made it to 4 in 7 years, going 3-1.  Since 2005, they only have 1 Super Bowl victory.  Again, they're an exceptionally successful franchise; I just don't think they meet the very high standards required to be called the greatest dynasty of all time.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree.  And if you want to be labeled as the greatest dynasty of all time, I think you need a better record than 1 Super Bowl victory in the last 10 years.

Just now, Luck is Good said:

Yeah and we usually knew who was gonna win. Those Cowboys and 49ers teams were not gonna lose

Nor was the Colts vs the Bears LOL, just had to throw that in but great point. With the Pats you never know? They lost to the Giants twice and got lucky in that last SB vs Seattle. Seattle just gave them the game.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nor was the Colts vs the Bears LOL, just had to throw that in but great point. With the Pats you never know? They lost to the Giants twice and got lucky in that last SB vs Seattle. Seattle just gave them the game.

You can say Seattle gave them the game but that falling down catch by Jermaine Kearse was complete luck. Shouldn't have been in that position in the first place

3 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I get what you're saying but has another franchise had an extended run of success like this? In 16 years, they've been to not only 7 SBs but 11 conference championship games. Has any other franchise ever had an extended run of success like that?

1 minute ago, Luck is Good said:

I get what you're saying but has another franchise had an extended run of success like this? In 16 years, they've been to not only 7 SBs but 11 conference championship games. Has any other franchise ever had an extended run of success like that?

I think a lot of it too is, Same Core teams vs the Franchise overall. As a Franchise the Patriots have been the best I have ever seen over a long period of time or equal to what the 49ers accomplished from 1981-1994. They have won with different Core's though other than the 2 main constants in Brady and Belichick. Their 2014 team was completely different compared to their 2004 team other than Brady and Belichick. Cowboys in the 90's did it with the same players in Aikman, Smith, Irvin, and so on.

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think a lot of it too is, Same Core teams vs the Franchise overall. As a Franchise the Patriots have been the best I have ever seen over a long period of time or equal to what the 49ers accomplished from 1981-1994. They have won with different Core's though other than the 2 main constants in Brady and Belichick. Their 2014 team was completely different compared to their 2004 team other than Brady and Belichick. Cowboys in the 90's did it with the same players in Aikman, Smith, Irvin, and so on.

Yeah two completely different teams. The only constants are Brady and Belichick

Patriots fans enjoy it while you have this because it wont last forever. Just like when Bulls fans had Jordan. Since Jordan retired the Bulls haven't even sniffed a Championship. Once Belichick and Brady are gone or maybe because of Tom's age their time is probably getting close to an end. I think the Pats will still be Great next season but after that who knows? The Colts fans will probably never have it as good as we have had it with Peyton either but at least we have hope with Andrew Luck. Andrew has at least led us back to a Title Game. I think Ballard will be much better than Grigson as well.  

59 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

Yes, they're successful.  But to be labeled as the greatest dynasty of all time, you need to win more championships in a certain time span than they have.  1 championship in 10 years isn't enough to be labeled the best of all time

4 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Yes, they're successful.  But to be labeled as the greatest dynasty of all time, you need to win more championships in a certain time span than they have.  1 championship in 10 years isn't enough to be labeled the best of all time

Well it's about to be 2 in 12 years and 5 in 16 years overall

The odds are STACKED against the Falcons tonight.

-White Jerseys have won 11 of the past 12 Super Bowls BUT Falcons are the first to wear red in a Super Bowl.

-MVPs havent won the Super Bowl since 1999.

-Pats have the Falcons playbook.