Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Mixon not invited to NFL combine

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's interesting.  It can definitely be seen as the NFL's statement that they don't want to invite guys with definitive proof of abuse.  Apparently the video is an important component of it, which I kind of understand.  Videos add a real tangible element to domestic abuse and once its on the internet, it's there forever.

I mean yeah. It's basically Ray Rice 2.0. But I mean if he can stay out of trouble he'll be a very good RB in the NFL. So I say draft him in the 5th or 6th. If he stays out of trouble we steal a feature back in the late rounds. If not, who cares, most 5th and 6th rounders aren't going to be studs anyway.

31 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I mean yeah. It's basically Ray Rice 2.0. But I mean if he can stay out of trouble he'll be a very good RB in the NFL. So I say draft him in the 5th or 6th. If he stays out of trouble we steal a feature back in the late rounds. If not, who cares, most 5th and 6th rounders aren't going to be studs anyway.

I think we should still draft a RB in round 3. If he's there in the 6th then draft him too and have him compete for the starting job against Jamaal Williams or Kareem Hunt or whoever we get. Most 6th rounders rarely see the field anyway so it wouldn't be a wasted pick, and we could potentially get two stud RBs

Just want to make something clear here....   Mixon not b being invited is NOT about his ability.    It's 100% entirely about his off-the-field issue.

A year ago,  the NFL put out a statement basically saying that they reserved the right not to invite anyone who had messed up enough to warrant bypassing them.

Mixon will still have his Pro-Day which I expect he will excel at,  plus private workouts for teams that are interested.       I expect him to be drafted.      The only question is when?    

I think there are a number of teams where the fan base will give the organization enough latitude that the club will strongly consider drafting the kid.     And perhaps much higher than people here are expecting.

Edit NOTE:    Here's the NFL ruling from a year ago.    In 2016, the NFL announced a policy that college players with convictions for domestic violence, sexual assault or weapons offenses would not be invited to the combine

I find it intriguing how the video changes everything. There were so many people on here that wanted Greg Hardy (DV but no video) and I bet a lot would like Tyreek Hill on the team too (choked his pregnant g/f, but no video).

Mixon has one incident where he had a momentary fit of rage after being provoked, while intoxicated. Other than that, he's been completely out of trouble and since the incident has been in anger management therapy. This is not domestic violence, and while I don't agree with his actions, it was 3 years ago and he was an 18 year old kid. If his interviews tell you that he has learned from his mistake, I'd draft him as high as the 3rd.

1 hour ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Itd be pretty amazing seeing as we dont have a 7th round pick haha

LOL. Alright man. You got me. LOL. Oh man. I'm usually on top of things but who would have remembered we didn't have a 7th rounder anyways? LOL. But wont we get a 6th or 7th for Lowry? We'll get a 4 for Fleener, and what about Free? You know? Seems like he should get us a high pick but we should get at least 3 comps.

8 minutes ago, OneNation said:

Please take my guy in the third if he lasts that long. My man is going to be special. Bay Area. He needs to run well at his pro day, he's just a player though. The measurables won't necessarily be there, but when those pads are on this man produces.

Who the hell is your man? Mixon or someone else?

17 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

LOL. Alright man. You got me. LOL. Oh man. I'm usually on top of things but who would have remembered we didn't have a 7th rounder anyways? LOL. But wont we get a 6th or 7th for Lowry? We'll get a 4 for Fleener, and what about Free? You know? Seems like he should get us a high pick but we should get at least 3 comps.

Freeman was offset by Robinson, and Lowery by Tolzien as far as I know. 

I dont think comp picks are set in stone yet but last I read we were only projected to get a 4th for Fleener.

25 minutes ago, Shive said:

I find it intriguing how the video changes everything. There were so many people on here that wanted Greg Hardy (DV but no video) and I bet a lot would like Tyreek Hill on the team too (choked his pregnant g/f, but no video).

Mixon has one incident where he had a momentary fit of rage after being provoked, while intoxicated. Other than that, he's been completely out of trouble and since the incident has been in anger management therapy. This is not domestic violence, and while I don't agree with his actions, it was 3 years ago and he was an 18 year old kid. If his interviews tell you that he has learned from his mistake, I'd draft him as high as the 3rd.

Didn't know all that. I thought he actually punched a woman and I didn't realize it was that long ago. In that case I agree with you, but GM's wont. He'll be there at least with one of our 4's, and we should take him. double up on RB's in the 4th. Mixon and one of Gallman, Mack, or Hunt. One of those 3 should be there.

But the simple fact it......Joe Mixon is an elite talent. He's a 2nd rounder all day in THIS class. But hopefully we take the opportunity to steal away a borderline 1st round talent in the 4th round. Or the 3rd. He is going to be a feature back bet on it. I'm talking the total package. An all around back. A back who can give us 1,000 plus yards rushing at over 4YPC and 400 receiving yards on top. Legit, 3 down, feature back. Anytime a talent like that falls the mid rounds you gotta jump on it.

But I say Cook and Fournette go in round 1. McCaffery EARLY in the 2nd, followed by Kamara, then I think all of Mack, Mixon, Hunt, Perine, Gallman all go anywhere from the late 2nd to the late 4th. Just like last year with Howard, Perkins, Booker, and so on. So IMO, assuming Mixon falls to the 4th one of those 5 guys above will be there in the mid 4th.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

BIG difference in something being caught on tape man. How do you know its true if its not on tape, or with some other proof? I mean you never know what happens between couples, so I'm just throwing this out there, but I mean some girl could get mad at her man and decide to try and ruin his career. So there's a big difference. I try to look at things from both sides.

But again. If Mixon hasn't done anything since then, and is proving himself, and is genuinely remorseful then I want him.

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Really hoping that since ballard seen Hill payoff he will be the guy to take Mixon!

Not just Hill bro. Burfict went undrafted, Justin Houston fell to the 3rd over what? Weed I think. And the big one. Mr. Frank Clark. LOL I remember some poster saying Seattle has no conscience after that pick. Now look. Frank Clark is now a dominant EDGE rusher who just put up double digit sacks as mostly a backup. Yeah. We have to get involved with these guys. That's a big way to find gems.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

With domestic violence, i'ts different.  Maybe not the Mixon case so much, but historically, it was always easy to turn a blind eye to domestic violence because (a) men were more privileged than women, and (b) it was behind closed doors.  You put those two things together, and you often get a scenario where the man can do what he wants and make sure his version of the story is the "truth."

Unless you're a fly on the wall, you aren't privy to what happens in the privacy of one's marriage secured by the walls of their home.  That's why a video makes a huge difference as opposed to simply theft, or possession of drugs.  There's usually strong proof that you stole something or are carrying pot - there's a possession element that a cop can attest to and people will believe it (or at least, reasonably could).  With domestic violence, you're a he-said-she-said and without any other strong corroborating evidence - and many times there's not - you don't knwo what to believe.

So wit hdomestic violence specifically, yes, a video makes a world of difference.

46 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Not just Hill bro. Burfict went undrafted, Justin Houston fell to the 3rd over what? Weed I think. And the big one. Mr. Frank Clark. LOL I remember some poster saying Seattle has no conscience after that pick. Now look. Frank Clark is now a dominant EDGE rusher who just put up double digit sacks as mostly a backup. Yeah. We have to get involved with these guys. That's a big way to find gems.

I just meant ballard was with KC when they took hill last year 

2 hours ago, Shive said:

Do you have anything that says Mixon was intoxicated?     You may be right,  but I have not seen that written anywhere.     Perhaps I missed it.      If you've got a link to provide that would be great.....

My thanks in advance.....

3 hours ago, Shive said:

The way I read it she was drunk

Mixon's good no lie, but ignoring his off field issues (with regards to personal morals), why take the burden of carrying that guy on your roster when there are plenty of other great backs in this draft. It's not like it's a weak class, where there's only 1 or 2 guys you want. There's loads who can make impacts, and I'd rather the Colts find and develop one in the later rounds who doesn't have all this baggage. 

I wouldn't think twice about taking him in the 4th. Some people are over reacting about backlash.  I don't think there would be any real issues...a couple of stories buried in the middle of sports sections/sites...and then forgotten as soon as training camp news starts(if not sooner). 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you have anything that says Mixon was intoxicated?     You may be right,  but I have not seen that written anywhere.     Perhaps I missed it.      If you've got a link to provide that would be great.....

My thanks in advance.....

2 hours ago, twfish said:

The way I read it she was drunk

Sorry guys, you're both absolutely correct. She was drunk, he was completely sober and said he's never had a drop of alcohol in his life. I must've jumped to the conclusion of alcohol being involved on both ends with it taking place in a bar. My apologies!

11 minutes ago, Shive said:

Sorry guys, you're both absolutely correct. She was drunk, he was completely sober and said he's never had a drop of alcohol in his life. I must've jumped to the conclusion of alcohol being involved on both ends with it taking place in a bar. My apologies!

No worries.....     but this is the first I've heard that SHE was intoxicated.     Wow.     Did NOT know that.

Good 411.      

5 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

I want him not only for his immense talent but for the fact that half this board would be disgusted by our team for drafting a kid who did ONE bad thing when he was 18. That is the ONLY character problem reported on him and he was 18 years old. Give the kid a break

He's a great guy honestly. Constantly visiting sick children in the hospitals in Oklahoma, to doing work with the community. Always caring for others dating back to high school and beyond. He made a mistake, a big mistake, and has learned from it. He'll tell you how big of a mistake it was. He understands. He deserves a second chance imo. I would love for us to draft him, not only because he's a great player and my friend, but also because I would like for the team I support to give second chances like I wish anybody I know would. People aren't perfect and while I do not support what he did (nor should the colts) I do believe giving someone a second chance should not be frowned upon.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No worries.....     but this is the first I've heard that SHE was intoxicated.     Wow.     Did NOT know that.

Good 411.      

It isn't a known fact, but highly speculative based on the events and his side of the story. An except for an old article:

“At the end of the night, a group of apparently drunk people started harassing us,” Mixon’s statement explained. “Some of my teammates were wise enough to leave. I did not, and I am sorry."

http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/joe-mixon-claims-in-new-court-filing-that-amelia-molitor/article_67452953-3d5e-566c-9cde-6da49cf3d789.html

20 minutes ago, Shive said:

It isn't a known fact, but highly speculative based on the events and his side of the story. An except for an old article:

“At the end of the night, a group of apparently drunk people started harassing us,” Mixon’s statement explained. “Some of my teammates were wise enough to leave. I did not, and I am sorry."

http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ousportsextra/joe-mixon-claims-in-new-court-filing-that-amelia-molitor/article_67452953-3d5e-566c-9cde-6da49cf3d789.html

Interesting.....

To be clear,  the claim about people being drunk is more broad and general....    a group of people were drunk.   It does not specifically single her out.    She may not have been drunk.     I'm not sure how this plays out in court?

And the claims about racial slurs could boil down to he said; she said.....     again,  unknown.

Ultimately,  there's tape of him hitting her.   And then her face hits the table as she falls.    She's got 3 or 4 facial fractures.       It's just a bad look.    Hard to see him getting away with no legal consequence.

The higher he's drafted,  the more he's got to give her in some legal settlement.    So,  I hope he can get a decent contract out of this.      In a weird way,  that would be the best thing for HER.     She'd collect more from him.

Sometimes it's just a weird world that we live in......