Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New punter

Colts1324

3 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

As hard to think about it right now, as our All-Pro punter just abruptly retired...and their is real disappointment for all of us colts fans right now. Who will we get to replace MaCafee? Draft a punter or sign one in free agency? Will AV do kickoffs? 

I'm not sure if AV has the capability to do both, they just need to find another boomer.  Maybe the later rounds of the draft, UDFA, or FA?

Cameron Johnston, P, Ohio State 
 Height: 5-11. Weight: 195. 
 Projected Round (2017): 6-FA. 

12/24/16: Johnston has been punting really well this season with an average of 46.2 yards per punt. He has a long punt of 70 yards. 

8/20/16: Urban Meyer takes a lot of pride in special teams play, so it says something that Johnston took over as a freshman punter in 2013. The freshman averaged 44 yards per punt that year and followed it up with an average of 45.1 yards as a sophomore in 2014. Johnston had long punts of 73 and 71 yards, respectively, in those season. In 2015, he averaged 44 yards per punt.

this seems like the best rookie to me

9 minutes ago, KB said:

12/24/16: Johnston has been punting really well this season with an average of 46.2 yards per punt. He has a long punt of 70 yards. 

8/20/16: Urban Meyer takes a lot of pride in special teams play, so it says something that Johnston took over as a freshman punter in 2013. The freshman averaged 44 yards per punt that year and followed it up with an average of 45.1 yards as a sophomore in 2014. Johnston had long punts of 73 and 71 yards, respectively, in those season. In 2015, he averaged 44 yards per punt.

TBH, I'd probably take him in the 6th round.

20 minutes ago, MTC said:

Here is your new punter:

Colts signed him to a reserve/future contract.

Well the young fella seems to have a leg at least, a darn good one at that.  Things are obviously diff with pads, players flying at ya but he's got a good looking leg, hmmm.  Ok that sounded a bit weird. 

2 hours ago, MTC said:

Here is your new punter:

Colts signed him to a reserve/future contract.

Nice find, MTC....

I'm somewhat reluctant to post this,  but with the Bell signing back on January 6th,   that means that he was actually signed by......       signed by......      you know.....     I mean,  am I even allowed to write his name here?    The exec that shall not be named/

Ryan Grigson?

There!     I said it!     I just hope the good people here won't hold it against me.    

I was....     so......     weak.      I'm so ashamed!           :peek:        

MacAfee was solid. I was always frustrated though because I didn't see too many coffin corner kicks. But the more I thought about it, the more sense it made to pooch it and hope for a turnover. In any case, I can understand his reluctance to mess up his knee for life. Hopefully, they won't miss a beat.

6 hours ago, Austin Leonard said:

AV is a hall of famer  and should be ok with any holder, but that would be the one thing that concerns me is that chemistry between holder and kicker will now be different , Cameron Johnston would be a good option if available late or udfa,Go buckeyes.

Would definitely pick Johnston if we drafted a punter. Don't know if we will draft one thought. You got the go buckeyes part right! 

11 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

MacAfee was solid. I was always frustrated though because I didn't see too many coffin corner kicks. But the more I thought about it, the more sense it made to pooch it and hope for a turnover. In any case, I can understand his reluctance to mess up his knee for life. Hopefully, they won't miss a beat.

He did so much for us though besides punting. Kickoffs, was tops in the league at onside kicks, field goal holder, great for fake punts. And don't forget he was our 3rd string QB most games too! haha

A good punter that kicks off is a nice luxury.  Maybe his locker room prescience - it seems everyone liked him and he kept things loose - might be the bigger loss.  Punters are not overly valued; Pat was a 7th Round pick and I'm sure we will have an able punter amongst our 53 this fall.  But yeah, he will be missed.

5 hours ago, CroatianColtsFan21 said:

Do you think colts had an idea about pat's retirement plans when signing a future contract punter? 

considering he said he's been talking to Irsay about it, i'd imagine so.  Honestly, I was worried about this when i heard of Pat's kneed surgery and then us signing this guy.  Wasn't expecting retirement but we dont know the extent of his injury.  I tore an ACL twice in the same knee within 4 years, doctor has told me that if it tears again, I'm looking at a complete knee replacement.  Pat's had 3 knee injuries, albeit not ACLs from what I know, but still that's a lot of damage in your 20s.  I'm 30 and my right knee wear is equal to that of a 60 year olds according to my doctor. Thanks Army.

8 hours ago, KB said:

Yeah, I'm sure the Jags will get him before us with a 2nd or 3rd rounder :)