Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Team Relocation Hurting the NFL?

BlueShoe

Just saw a headline that San Diego would accept the Raiders if the deal with Las Vegas falls through.

I'm not sure how the NFL will benefit from all of these relocations. If it hasn't reached a point where it is hurting the NFL yet then where is that line? And how close do the owners want to get to that line?

The San Diego Raiders. The lifelong rival. Really?

It's kind of getting bizarre.

I don't know.  It is hard for me to be critical of team relocation when the only reason that I am a Colts fan is because they relocated to Indy......in probably the shadiest move ever.  It makes me feel hypocritical to criticize other teams for moving.  I think it will settle down.  We have had a very long period of stability ever since the Browns moved to Baltimore and the Oilers moved to Nashville.  I think that stability was somewhat artificial, and once the Rams moved to L.A. it opened the floodgate.  Kind of like knocking over the first domino.  I don't think there are all that many dominoes to knock over, though.

I hate to mix politics in this, but there's something else worth mentioning: If California secedes from the U.S. (#Calexit), what happens to those NFL teams? The NFL is called the NATIONAL football league, but what's so National about being in a state that seceded?

2 minutes ago, Coltsfan1953 said:

They start their own 3 team league. LAFL(Los Angles Football League) :cheer2:

It's awkward because they spent all this money to relocate, so they're kinda stuck there. That would suck if they were like, "Well, time to move back!"

30 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I hate to mix politics in this, but there's something else worth mentioning: If California secedes from the U.S. (#Calexit), what happens to those NFL teams? The NFL is called the NATIONAL football league, but what's so National about being in a state that seceded?

California can't secede, we already had a war in regards to that and the Feds won. Lol 

but it wouldn't matter as they are looking out a team in London,Mexico City, and Toronto already.

2 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

That would never happen. 

Also, the National Hockey league has six Canadian teams and the National Basketball League has one.

14 hours ago, bababooey said:

That would never happen. 

Also, the National Hockey league has six Canadian teams and the National Basketball League has one.

I honestly believe that is we didn't have an NFL team in Buffalo then Toronto would have had an NFL team years ago.

With both the Rams & the Chargers moving to LA, it does seem like city loyalty is secondary these days. Look, I'm not naive. Zip code changes always come down to more money & a new stadium to play ball in.

I just remember watching the ProBowl this yr & you could see how QB Philip Rivers was affected by leaving San Diego as he was being interviewed on the sidelines. He really appreciated the city & how fans embraced Philip during his whole tenure there as a player. 

Where do the San Diego faithful go now team wise after feeling betrayed by the owner? Some will go with the flow & still follow the chargers, but several won't. I feel so bad for fans like GAFT. Hang in there. 

On 2/1/2017 at 10:36 AM, BlueShoe said:

Just saw a headline that San Diego would accept the Raiders if the deal with Las Vegas falls through.

I'm not sure how the NFL will benefit from all of these relocations. If it hasn't reached a point where it is hurting the NFL yet then where is that line? And how close do the owners want to get to that line?

The San Diego Raiders. The lifelong rival. Really?

It's kind of getting bizarre.

I have no problems with relocation for the right reasons. But I agree this whole relocate just to relocate is ridiculous. 

This is on greedy billionaires who don't want to spend their own money and instead want tax payers to fund their stadium. Look at what Arthur Blank did. He got the city of Atlanta to fund his new weird stadium that looks like something out of a Michael Bay Transformers film. Taxes went up on house owners all in the city to fund it since he refused to spend his own money. Just wait till Atlanta is 7-9 next year and how angry those people are going to be that they're paying extra taxes to fund a team no one cares about.

If Spanos wanted a stadium so bad, he shouldn't funded it himself. It's not like he's starving for money behind those billions he has, all from being born with a silver spoon in his mouth to a rich family. 

The Chargers belong in LA now since their owner is a complete joke and has made them into a laughing stock over the years. Their downward spiral began the minute they fired Marty Schottenheimer....If McCree don't fumble that ball vs the Pats in '06, they probably hoist a Lombardi up. No excuse why those awesome teams never reached the big game back then. 

On 2/1/2017 at 2:37 PM, ReMeDy said:

That is a pipe dream and probably won't happen. Only 1/3rd of the citizens in California support this petition. Mostly people living there who have money and won't be effected from a cut off to the federal government. They still need to win over the majority vote of their population which isn't going to be easy. Unless worst comes to worst, and multiple states want to secede, it probably isn't going to happen. 

15 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Their downward spiral began the minute they fired Marty Schottenheimer.

I agree 100% with this statement Bogie. Once Spanos released Marty, the Chargers were never the same again. It's the closest Philip has even been to a SB ring. 

I respect both Marty & Philip. That's not a slam against either one just to be clear. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I agree 100% with this statement Bogie. Once Spanos released Marty, the Chargers were never the same again. It's the closest Philip has even been to a SB ring. 

I respect both Marty & Philip. That's not a slam against either one just to be clear. 

Yea, Phillip Rivers is pretty much a dead man walking on a team that is looking rock bottom.

On 2/1/2017 at 9:53 AM, csmopar said:

It's beyond getting stupid. 

Yes it is. It's not even about being a good fit anymore, it's who's taxpayers they can get to give them the most money. The LA Chargers thing makes little sense . Las Vegas as an NFL town, really?  

Not any more than free agency, fantasy football, and over-saturation of the market.

i was always able to name all starting players (at least) on the team.  Even as a kid tho, i saw the colts as a team... a collection of players.

today we have fans who have no real fave team, its more about players, or what team those PLAYERS are on. Its different today, imo.

less loyalty, many fans change teams to find a "winner".

i live in penna, i saw a couple colt hats a year around here.  After peyton, a couple a week. Anyone notice how many bronco and seahawk hats appeared out of nowhere in your area in recent years?  Less team loyalty overall for a number of reasons. Relocation affects more locally than nationally.

i live in pa, so when colts moved, it really didnt affect me as much as a baltimore guy.