Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

49ers sign Fox analyst John Lynch as GM

snkdy

4 minutes ago, corgi said:

If he fails the world will say "Told you so!" If it's successful the 49ers look like geniuses. Is Paton just a bad interview or what?

Don't think Paton is a bad interview as the word was the Colts were very impressed with him afterwards.  But who really knows?  I thought he was the 49ers first choice.  Maybe they didn't like that he made them fill like they were his second choice to the Colts job.  That Niner's owner seems off his rocker.

5 hours ago, snkdy said:

lmao

I think it's entirely possible that for some franchise,  a HC candidate coming off as "arrogant in his interviews"  might be viewed as a good thing and not a bad thing.......

Why would John Lynch put that out there as a negative if the 49ers are about to hire Shannahan?

That would be crazy.....

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Oh my Niner's fans have to be in total meltdown mode right now.  

Gosh I can't imagine what they are going through.  Geez you know at least the Browns have hope.  

I actually thought it was a joke at first. I had to go to ESPN news to see if this was real. Not sure what they are doing there but at least Irsay hired a GM that has a resume for it.

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I actually thought it was a joke at first. I had to go to ESPN news to see if this was real. Not sure what they are doing there but at least Irsay hired a GM that has a resume for it.

You are talking about Jed York.  For any other team it's a joke.  For Jed York it's a brilliant move.

He's easily the worst owner in the NFL right now.  

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

You are talking about Jed York.  For any other team it's a joke.  For Jed York it's a brilliant move.

He's easily the worst owner in the NFL right now.  

I know, we have it made here. Irsay is a Great owner IMO. I am so happy we got rid of Grigson and hired Ballard. A lot of people, myself included thought he may just put Jimmy Raye in that spot. Not Irsay, he went out and did his due diligence. Ballard could flop but I doubt it, at least Irsay gets an A for effort. The Colts have only had 1 losing season since 2002 when the Divisions got re-arranged that was due to Peyton being out all season in 2011. They have been to 4 AFCCG, 2 SB's, and have won a SB since 2002. That says a lot in itself.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know, we have it made here. Irsay is a Great owner IMO. I am so happy we got rid of Grigson and hired Ballard. A lot of people, myself included thought he may just put Jimmy Raye in that spot. Not Irsay, he went out and did his due diligence. Ballard could flop but I doubt it, at least Irsay gets an A for effort. The Colts have only had 1 losing season since 2002 when the Divisions got re-arranged that was due to Peyton being out all season in 2011. They have been to 4 AFCCG, 2 SB's, and have won a SB since 2002. That says a lot in itself.

I actually kind of like Raye, but I think Ballard was my second favorite pick.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I actually kind of like Raye, but I think Ballard was my second favorite pick.  

Raye will still be in same spot unless something changes which I am fine with it. I like him too but I think most assumed he would just get the GM spot and say Irsay made it look like he was doing something. Ballard should be good at worse.

15 hours ago, krunk said:

There might be some young players we might be able to scoop from San Fran.  I'm sure they'll be looking to implement a zone defense with Lynch involved.  That's mainly what they played during Mike Shanahans years too.  They'll probably be looking to get rid of some of the 3-4 personnel.

They have something like $4 billion in cap space (approximately, and that's with Kap), and they have no good players hitting free agency. I don't see them getting rid of anyone that we'd actually want.

20 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Jed York found his yes man! 49ers will be a dumpster fire for as long as he owns the team, period. 

And John Lynch know this!!!!!! What the bleep is he doing? 

As for John, he would be a perfect guy to have on the business side of a team imo. GM on day 1 is a stretch though. He's walking into a crap spewing buzzsaw.

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

And John Lynch know this!!!!!! What the bleep is he doing? 

As for John, he would be a perfect guy to have on the business side of a team imo. GM on day 1 is a stretch though. He's walking into a crap spewing buzzsaw.

and even with a 6-year deal..........he will be judged very quickly

...Lynch could be a coach but GM?, I don't understand it

22 hours ago, MTC said:

Indeed. Six years is extremely unheard of - especially for a new GM with no prior experience.

Yeah, so how does a person with a brain decided on 6 years for a person with no experience? Why not 10 years? I guess I missed out on being a brain surgeon. Remember the Detroit Lions doing the exact same thing with Millen proving to be one of the worst decisions in NFL history. Lynch was a head hunting mad man on the field but SF is a wreck so he has one heck of a mountain to climb but I wish him well because nobody played his position with more smash mouth. 

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Yeah, so how does a person with a brain decided on 6 years for a person with no experience? Why not 10 years? I guess I missed out on being a brain surgeon. Remember the Detroit Lions doing the exact same thing with Millen proving to be one of the worst decisions in NFL history. Lynch was a head hunting mad man on the field but SF is a wreck so he has one heck of a mountain to climb but I wish him well because nobody played his position with more smash mouth. 

Jed York stated he wanted continuity and stability with singing John Lynch for 6 years. Still doesn't explain why he deserves it.

On Sunday, January 29, 2017 at 10:01 PM, life long said:

What an eventful day it has been! Glad Irsay did not make a head scratching decision like York..... It may work out but i doubt it lol

A projected quote from this forum after the 2020 season:

"I can't believe Irsay hired Ballard when John Lynch was available!!!  Argghhhhhhhh!!!!!"

On January 29, 2017 at 8:22 PM, krunk said:

I'm not trying to be negative but this seems crazy!  John Lynch

I know right? I love John Lynch as a HOF thumper safety & fantastic analyst for FOX, but darn man, you can't just slide into the GM spot with zero experience even as a team scout. This move has disaster written all over it bro. 

On January 29, 2017 at 8:44 PM, buccolts said:

This is odd from any angle.

Wasn't Matt Millen available?

Exactly BC. You read my mind. Don't owners remember what happened in Detroit? It wasn't that long ago. 

On January 29, 2017 at 9:27 PM, NFLfan said:

Unbelievable. The Niners selected Lynch over Paton and Raye??? And he got a 6-year deal? :scratch:

Perhaps no one else wanted the job?? 

John had a lucrative booth deal with FOX on TV. He merely wanted matching compensation I suspect before even thinking about leaving as an analyst I think.