Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Draft Tracker 2017: Meetings, Interviews, Individual Workouts, etc.

Here's a thread for us to keep track of all the players the Colts are meeting and interviewing and working out.

The Senior Bowl is going on and the Colts are already meeting prospects. From what has surfaced on the net it seems that we have met with:

Kareen Hunt, RB, Toledo

John Johnson, S, Boston College
Obi Melifonwu, S, UConn

Lorenzo Jerome, S, Saint Francis

We had threads about the first two, but the last two are new names. It seems like we are meeting a lot of safeties.

(I don't know if this is worth being pinned, if moderators think it is, please do pin it)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Moc  draft 2017 for the colts. There is no current draft order

1. RB Oklahoma Samaje Perine

RB Texas Devonte Freeman 

RB Florida St. Dalvin Cook

2. Safety Connecticut Obi Melifonwu

Safety  Michgan Jabrill Peppers

Safety Justin Evans

3. QB Tennessee Josh Dobbs

QB Ole Miss Chad Kelly

4.OT Utah Garrett Bolles

OT/G Western Michgan Taylor Moton

5. EDGE RUSHERS 

Tim Williams Alabama

Andrew Luck needs protection, we need a running game and our secondary is to slow. They need help. this is my super bowl draft. 

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Crazy that they met with 3 safeties. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ballard draft one. He likes competition and depth.

I think we have to make a move of some sort for a safety this offseason. With Adams and Butler set to be free agents we are dangerously thin, considering Green still isnt at the point where he can be a full time player, and we tend to use 3 safety sets in passing situations. 

That being said it could be as easy as resigning Butler and/or bringing in a low signing/pick or UDFA to compete as a backup. Might not be anything extravagant. 

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 8:12 AM, SaturdayAllDay said:

I think we have to make a move of some sort for a safety this offseason. With Adams and Butler set to be free agents we are dangerously thin, considering Green still isnt at the point where he can be a full time player, and we tend to use 3 safety sets in passing situations. 

That being said it could be as easy as resigning Butler and/or bringing in a low signing/pick or UDFA to compete as a backup. Might not be anything extravagant. 

I wonder if Peppers drops to our 2nd Ballard drafts him. Or maybe move up a few spots to early 2nd for him?

I wonder if they like him at all?

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It also could mean we won't get into a bidding war for Eric Berry. :) 

And I wouldn't want too. Sure he'd be an immediate upgrade at FS over Geathers and Adams (who might not be brought back). It's more affordable and better long term to draft a guy. I've researched 2 of the guys we talked to in Melifonwu and Johnson. I like both and Johnson is a great FS. I like Melifonwu better in the box but that's where Geathers plays.

On 2/15/2017 at 7:52 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Crazy that they met with 3 safeties. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ballard draft one. He likes competition and depth.

What would be the opposite of crazy?

If healthy, Geathers will likely get hundreds of snaps at LB in passing situations.
 So we need another good safety! And it better be someone that can play deep
 because Green sure doesn`t look suited for that at this time. Green will need a lot of experience IMO.
 At seasons end Green was making some good plays that were in front of him. lol

On February 15, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Defjamz26 said:

This post kind of makes me laugh.  

Can you please point me to the GM who wants no competition or depth.

Please and thank you.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

This post kind of makes me laugh.  

Can you please point me to the GM who wants no competition or depth.

Please and thank you.

I'll say this clearly. Please put me on ignore if there's a feature like that on this sight. I don't care for your smart *** comments you feel the need to always make. I don't know if you get some type of satisfaction from doing it, but I know I'm not alone in saying that you don't know how to talk to people.

5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

True but CB is a bigger need over safety at this point. Outside of Davis, there's no quality at the position. 

Vs what quality at the safety position?? We have Geathers, who is coming off an injury, and Green, who definitely lives up to his name. I wouldnt exactly call that quality, especially since we like to run 3 safety sets (with Geathers at ILB) in passing situations. We need 3 decent safeties almost as much as we need 3 decent CBs. We realistically only have 1 of each. I do think that Safety is a cheaper/easier position to fix, but I wouldnt say its needed any less atm. 

40 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Vs what quality at the safety position?? We have Geathers, who is coming off an injury, and Green, who definitely lives up to his name. I wouldnt exactly call that quality, especially since we like to run 3 safety sets (with Geathers at ILB) in passing situations. We need 3 decent safeties almost as much as we need 3 decent CBs. We realistically only have 1 of each. I do think that Safety is a cheaper/easier position to fix, but I wouldnt say its needed any less atm. 

At least with safety I could put geathers and butler back there and be comfortable. No so much with Patrick Robinson or whomever else opposite Davis. I think Butler will be brought back since he's versatile for us. 

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

At least with safety I could put geathers and butler back there and be comfortable. No so much with Patrick Robinson or whomever else opposite Davis. I think Butler will be brought back since he's versatile for us. 

I hope butler is brought back, and it would definitely help the position, but with a new gm i cant say for sure that he will be back. IF he comes back the need for a safety isnt as high as for a cb, but as it stands now, it isnt. 

20 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'll say this clearly. Please put me on ignore if there's a feature like that on this sight. I don't care for your smart *** comments you feel the need to always make. I don't know if you get some type of satisfaction from doing it, but I know I'm not alone in saying that you don't know how to talk to people.

Fair enough and a completely reasonable response.

i never have nor will I ever use the ignore option.  And I think it is kind of weak of those who have me on it.  If we are all on here agreeing with each other, what's the point?  This would be kind of a boring site.  Further, if you post something that can be readily challenged, wouldn't you expect it?  And I am sorry but you post a lot of stuff that its accuracy can be challenged.

To your post and my response - I had a different post typed up but deleted it and went a different direction.  My initial take was about Ballard being the flavor of the month and how there is a lot of revisionist history going on regarding Grigson.  I am willing to bet that your take on Ballard liking "depth and competition" was really meant as a slap at Grigson - that somehow Grigson was against such things.  That was my take and apologies if that is not the way it was intended.  Instead I went with a Capt Obvious type of retort because - well - it was low hanging fruit.

The Colts have met with Solomon Thomas!!!!

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/3/4/14816288/nfl-combine-2017-colts-centered-saturday-notebook

"They’re awesome. Coach Pagano’s awesome. It was really nice to be in there and talk with the coaches and the linebackers coach. I was really happy to be in there. It was awesome to be in their presence."

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

According to George Bremer.  

Add Ohio's Terell Basham to players who have talked with the #Colts. Says he can play 3-4 or 4-3.

Just based on his versatility, his measureables, and where he played, he sounds like Jonathan Newsome which is a good thing.

31 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's interesting that the Colts continue being linked to safeties. Here it is another one - Marcus Maye.

Maye might make a lot of plays but he also gives up huge plays on a regular basis. I want nothing to do with him

On 3/2/2017 at 2:54 PM, stitches said:

Colts will have a meeting with Dalvin Cook today:

Every team has the right to meet with up to 60 players. It's interesting that we have chosen to meet with Cook among our 60.

Cook looked bad at the combine.  Apparently his numbers where not terribly good in any of the tests (40 yard dash, vertical, etc) Plus I watched him during the skills portion and he dropped a the ball a couple of different times.  Pretty disappointing for a guy who's suppose to be a big weapon in the pass game.  

Honestly unless he shows better on his pro-day I'm wondering if this doesn't drop him to the 2nd round?  

3 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Cook looked bad at the combine.  Apparently his numbers where not terribly good in any of the tests (40 yard dash, vertical, etc) Plus I watched him during the skills portion and he dropped a the ball a couple of different times.  Pretty disappointing for a guy who's suppose to be a big weapon in the pass game.  

Honestly unless he shows better on his pro-day I'm wondering if this doesn't drop him to the 2nd round?  

The athletic testing seems to be the least important for the RB position, but I agree that what was more disappointing were his drops in the drills.

18 hours ago, stitches said:

The athletic testing seems to be the least important for the RB position, but I agree that what was more disappointing were his drops in the drills.

I disagree, I would say it's less important for QB's and of course kickers and punters then any other position.  

A lack of athletic ability didn't stop Peyton Manning and it hasn't stopped Tom Brady.  

Now all that said I don't think athletic limitations are necessarily going to stop someone from having a good career.  I still think vision is way more important then anything else.  But Cook was pretty disappointing both in the athletic and the skills portion of the combine.  In my mind he's not worth a first round pick.  Not unless on his pro day he comes back in all phases.  

18 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I disagree, I would say it's less important for QB's and of course kickers and punters then any other position.  

A lack of athletic ability didn't stop Peyton Manning and it hasn't stopped Tom Brady.  

Now all that said I don't think athletic limitations are necessarily going to stop someone from having a good career.  I still think vision is way more important then anything else.  But Cook was pretty disappointing both in the athletic and the skills portion of the combine.  In my mind he's not worth a first round pick.  Not unless on his pro day he comes back in all phases.  

Yeah, of course... I don't count QBs (Gods) and punters and kickers as people. :D

We can add the first 2 receivers the Colts have shown interest in:

DeAngelo Yancey, WR, Purdue pro-day

Robert Davis, WR, Georgia State pro-day

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-march-7th-am-report

Purdue

The main attraction at the Boilermakers pro-day is receiver DeAngelo Yancey.  We heaped praise on Yancey during Shrine practice as he really stood out all week.  I was shocked he did not receive an invitation to the combine and felt he really deserved to participate in Indianapolis.

The workout just started and I’m told at least four receiver coaches from around the league are on hand.

Update 2:40

The Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings, Pittsburgh Steelers and Detroit Lions all had receiver coaches on hand to watch DeAngelo Yancey and the big receiver did not disappoint.

His marks included 21 reps on the bench, 36 inches in the vertical jump, 10-foot-1 in the broad and a forty time which was an official 4.46s.  There were a number of teams who had Yancey in the mid-to-upper 4.3’s.

As one receivers coach on hand commented, Yancey just confirmed he’s going to get drafted.  We presently grade the wide out as a late round pick.

Though the workout is still going on, Yancey is scheduled to meet with the Indianapolis Colts later today.

The Boilermakers other talented receiver Domonique Young is still recovering from the devastating dislocated knee injury he suffered during the October 8th game against Illinois.     Young, who was graded as a potential 2nd day choice by scouts entering the 2016 season, is expected to be at full speed by the end of the summer.

Georgia State

Another receiver, albeit one who performed brilliantly at the combine, is the headliner at the Georgia State pro-day.

Robert Davis tested much better than anyone expected last Saturday, timing under 4.45s in the forty at 219 pounds, touching 41 inches in the vertical jump and 11-foot-4 in the broad jump.

Originally Georgia State was to hold its pro-day on Friday, March 10th, but moved it up three days.  Davis will understandably stand on his combine marks but will run routes and take part in receiver drills.

Update 2:40

The Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Baltimore Ravens and Detroit Lions are some of the teams attending the GSU workout, which is still going on.

I’m told in the run-up to the combine Davis had been working with former Dallas Cowboys receiver Patrick Crayton and the teams first round pick in the 1992 NFL Draft, cornerback Patrick Smith of Texas A&M.

On 3/5/2017 at 2:39 PM, stitches said:

It's interesting that the Colts continue being linked to safeties. Here it is another one - Marcus Maye.

Ballard probably didn't like what he saw when he watched all 16 games. You absolutely can not roll into the 2017 season with Green starting. I think I've put a safety in every mock draft. With Geathers always injured it's a huge need. If we had lockdown CBs who didn't need a bunch of help over the top it'd be understandable but we don't.

New potential target Colts met with at the combine:

Aaron Jones, RB, UTEP

Here's his combine page: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/Aaron-Jones?id=2558116

Here's highlight video:

Posted explosive numbers at the combine. Top performer in both the broad and vertical jumps, 3 cone and both shuttle drills. Seems like he was a threat both in the running and in the passing game in UTEP.

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-march-9

Colts were at Samford's proday showing interest in:

Karel Hamilton, WR, Samford

Samford

Fifteen teams were on hand to watch receiver Karel Hamilton, a Shrine Game participant from January.

Hamilton, who measured 6006 and 199 pounds in St Petersburg, timed 4.58s to 4.62s in the 40, touched 34 inches in the vertical jump and 9-foot-7 in the broad.

The Minnesota Vikings and Indianapolis Colts are among the teams showing interest in Hamilton.

Seems like UDFA type.