Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts hired psychologists to improve Chuck Pagano-Ryan Grigson relationship

Dustin

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

But wait a minute. I thought Irsay said last year that the supposed conflict between the 2 was all a media creation and they had a great working relationship lol?  Holder said last night that there relationship never did improve.

Why would he tell the media his gm and coach hate each other? 

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Why would he tell the media his gm and coach hate each other? 

Because it was already obvious and he came across as a liar and a clown when he tried to imply that the media was making it up.  So instead he wastes another season, has to hire a psych and in the end has to admit that the 2 hated each other. Solid.

I've seen a few reports now that have talked about "communication".  Its obvious that Grigson doesn't have that slap happy gregarious personality.  He probably is a fairly serious guy who doesn't engage in much small talk, nor cares for people who try to corner him into it.

Pagano is a pretty gregarious guy.  No amount of psychology is going to get those personalities to mesh well.

Grigson would probably be better off with a coach like Caldwell or Dungy, from a communication standpoint.

I'm talking only about communication, not decision making, for which I'm sure Grigson would get the blame for that when engaging with more gregarious personalities...like MacAphee for one.......and media people/reporters for another.

25 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

But wait a minute. I thought Irsay said last year that the supposed conflict between the 2 was all a media creation and they had a great working relationship lol?  Holder said last night that there relationship never did improve.

I remember when people were calling out the media and fans who believed them after Irsay said the conflict between them was all untrue last year. He said he wouldn't allow any type of bullying in his work environment and all that good stuff.

12 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Because it was already obvious and he came across as a liar and a clown when he tried to imply that the media was making it up.  So instead he wastes another season, has to hire a psych and in the end has to admit that the 2 hated each other. Solid.

I don't remember anyone calling him a liar. A lot of people said it was a bad choice and I agree with that. But obviously Irsay isn't going to tell the media they hate each other..

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

too simplistic...

......there's no reason for the owner to tell fans anything about working relationships..

Just like any other business....Its none of our business...

Then there is no reason to address the relationship at all. He not only addressed it, he made it a point to say the rumors of that relationship were not true.  Clearly, they were.   If it's nobody business he shouldn't have brought it up.  He shouldn't have tried to create a love story out of the circus up in front of everyone at the press conference. It's none of our business remember.

Just now, indy1888 said:

Then there is no reason to address the relationship at all. He not only addressed it, he made it a point to say the rumors of that relationship were not true.  Clearly, they were.   If it's nobody business he shouldn't have brought it up.  He shouldn't have tried to create a love story out of the circus up in front of everyone at the press conference. It's none of our business remember.

He's under no obligation to tell us the truth about anything anywhere anytime.

What he should and shouldnt have done is for him to say..and him alone

Its a private business.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is pure speculation on my part but Irsay said things that happened this week factored into the decision to let Grigson go.  I wonder if given their relationship if Grigson or Pagano went to Irsay and said either he or me has to go.

haha Could you imagine?  Arrogant Grigson walks into Irsay's office and says "I can't work with Chuck.  Either he goes, or I go".  Irsay looks at him and says "well, then pack your bags"

1 minute ago, 21isSuperman said:

haha Could you imagine?  Arrogant Grigson walks into Irsay's office and says "I can't work with Chuck.  Either he goes, or I go".  Irsay looks at him and says "well, then pack your bags"

Could be but Pagano could have done it too or it might not have happened at all.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

This is pure speculation on my part but Irsay said things that happened this week factored into the decision to let Grigson go.  I wonder if given their relationship if Grigson or Pagano went to Irsay and said either he or me has to go.

I have seen it reported in a few places that the relationship between Pagano and Grigson really got bad over the past week or so.  I think something happened recently that left Irsay little choice. Would also explain the delay in the firing.  Irsay says the delay was because he was doing a slow careful evaluation of everything but Irsay don't always tell the truth as we have learned.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Maybe it has to do with Luck's shoulder.  That perhaps Luck was playing with a bum arm in order to finish with the best record possible, and the surgery revealed more damage than thought.

Finding out that Luck's shoulder was worse than you thought this week would certainly be a factor.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Maybe it has to do with Luck's shoulder.  That perhaps Luck was playing with a bum arm in order to finish with the best record possible, and the surgery revealed more damage than thought.

Finding out that Luck's shoulder was worse than you thought this week would certainly be a factor.

I won't rule it out and I will admit I had similar thoughts myself but I have heard a couple of medical experts on the radio this week say Lucks shoulder wouldn't have been hurt more from playing with it unless he took a huge hit where he would have injuried the shoulder anyways.

Still I wonder i think it might have played a role in causing Irsay to take a step back and go my star QB is hurt, we saw how this went with Peyton, Grigson has failed to protect him and then looked at the rest of the team and thought they were no closer to building the different kind of team he wanted from the Manning years.  

Curiouser and curiouser.

I really believe grigson said or did something recently (this week, or possibly even yesterday) that led to this. I really believe that Irsay was intent to keep him. It doesn't take 20 days after the season ends to figure that out. He was obviously ok with it or he would have given him the boot before now.

Obviously he wasn't the best guy to be around, so I'm wondering if there wasn't some kind of massive blowup very recently that led to this.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

too simplistic...

......there's no reason for the owner to tell fans anything about working relationships..

Just like any other business....Its none of our business...

OUM.....

I may be misunderstanding you and apologies if I am....

But this information about the psychologist being hired to help.....    this didn't come from Irsay.

This came from other sources and is being reported by ESPN.    

So Irsay didn't tell the fans about this.....     ESPN did.

I think this is on Irsay as much as anyone else.

Clearly Grigson rubbed people all over the building the wrong way.

Pagano,  assistant coaches,  players....      that's a terrible indictment of Grigson.

This should've been nipped in the bud YEARS AGO.      It should never have been allowed to get this bad.

Reggie Wayne yesterday said back in 2012,  Grigson's first year,   Grigson never even spoke to him until roughly week 11 of that season.       That the two of them would pass in the hallway and Grigson would say.....   nothing.

That's not a healthy way to run a franchise.      Not a good look for Ryan.

He'll get a scouting job someday.....    but I think all the terrible press he's gotten will kill any chance for a 2nd chance at being a GM.      It appears he was his own worst enemy....

I saw some Colts fan say elsewhere that at least Irsay tried to fix it.

Thing is it should've never been allowed to get this far. They, or at the very least Ryan, should've never been extended. 

We could've already had this evaluation year for a new GM and Pagano this past season, but now we likely have to have another wait and see year to determine whether or not to move forward with Chuck.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think this is on Irsay as much as anyone else.

Clearly Grigson rubbed people all over the building the wrong way.

Pagano,  assistant coaches,  players....      that's a terrible indictment of Grigson.

This should've been nipped in the bud YEARS AGO.      It should never have been allowed to get this bad.

Reggie Wayne yesterday said back in 2012,  Grigson's first year,   Grigson never even spoke to him until roughly week 11 of that season.       That the two of them would pass in the hallway and Grigson would say.....   nothing.

That's not a healthy way to run a franchise.      Not a good look for Ryan.

He'll get a scouting job someday.....    but I think all the terrible press he's gotten will kill any chance for a 2nd chance at being a GM.      It appears he was his own worst enemy....

Glad to see you're changing your tune and realizing that this guy was clearly not well liked by anybody. Although it's nice that he's gone it does kind of look bad on Irsay. You let that guy run your franchise for 5 years. 

I think Grigson will make a killer GM/Owner.....in the CFL. That's really where he belongs. He's not good at finding NFL talent. But he can scout the hell outta guys who can play in the CFL and AFL.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Glad to see you're changing your tune and realizing that this guy was clearly not well liked by anybody. Although it's nice that he's gone it does kind of look bad on Irsay. You let that guy run your franchise for 5 years. 

I think Grigson will make a killer GM/Owner.....in the CFL. That's really where he belongs. He's not good at finding NFL talent. But he can scout the hell outta guys who can play in the CFL and AFL.

I'm not changing anything.

I've spent the last year saying I'm fine if Grigson got fired.      The only thing I defended was that he didn't suck at his job.     His record says he didn't suck and that's how GM's are measured.  

Like Pep before him, Ryan Grigson simply wasn't good enough.    He deserved to be fired.     I'm totally OK with it,   and have been for a long time.     I just want a little perspective.

Now,  the info released yesterday casts a whole new light on things....    and I'm sorry Irsay let it get it out of control.     Not a good look for the franchise.