Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thank You Ryan Grigson For Your Work

lennymoore24

Let's not forget that Ryan Grigson is a human being.  He is a good father of six kids.  He is a family man.  Nobody I have heard has ever said Ryan Grigson did give 100% effort to make the team a great team.  I don't think anyone can say he didn't work hard enough.  He searched everywhere to make the Colts a better team.  Sometimes in life, even when you give it your all, you come up short.  I appreciate the work Ryan did with the Colts.  I wish him and his family well.  I hope this is a learning experience for Ryan and he has success in the future.  Before we all thrash Ryan, try to think if you have ever worked hard at something and come up short.  I think sometimes in sports we forget that these men and women have their faults and feelings just like everyone else.  So thank you Ryan!

2 hours ago, Green_Ranger said:

Hopefully that CFL pass rusher he got us pays off. :D

Wouldn't it be absolutely hilarious if this unknown CFL guy became defensive mvp for us down the road? Chances are 1 in a million but it would just be soo funny if grigsons last signing became the piece that got our defense turned around :lol:

He got paid handsomely "to come up short" and was an instrumental part of wasting a good portion of Luck's career... would not hurt my feelings if the arrogant * never worked at the pro level (or any level honestly) again ... good riddance, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

I'm not gonna kick a Purdue guy while he's down.

I know that I was over the moon about Grigson after the 2012 off-season. We won 11 games the next season with 2 different coaches. 

The failures are well documented. I needn't mention them specifically in this thread. Despite them, I think that Grigson had (has) some upside as an executive in this league and will hopefully get another chance down the road. 

I'm glad that we are getting someone new, but I do think that Grigson deserves some respect for replacing a Hall of Famer and winning Executive of the Year as a rookie GM. 

Sports is an interesting world.  I work at designing software for NFL stadiums.  I worked with a guy who gave it everything he had to be a great programmer.  Worked 7 days a week.  But in the end, he simply didn't have the talent to do it at a high enough level.  You all might know someone like that.  So we had to let him go.  But I think what is different about sports is that we have to bash the person, celebrate, and forget that these actions affect him, his wife, and his kids.  I am not a Ryan Grigson fan as a GM.  I thought he should go two years ago.  But I personally find now joy is thrashing a guy who, by all accounts, gave everything he had.  I am just saying think about this in your own life or experiences.

It would have helped if he treated more than his immediate family the right way promoting a better work environment. It's hard to see the "family man" nice story angle if it doesn't get past your immediate circle. That's the true reason he's gone, the true reason that put Irsay over the decision hump, that he was untied at the hip from Pagano.

Job performance was only half of the decision, IMO. It was the same reason, a lack of relationship building that got Josh McDaniels fired with the Broncos and he even acknowledged so and has kept all his first HC experiences recorded in his private book so that he doesn't repeat those mistakes.

Again, it's not just what you know, it's also who you know and the relationships you build that helps you survive in most workplaces.

It's fine.  I don't hate the guy.   I don't hate anybody.  Maybe he's a decent dude outside of the office.  He's a dad, has six kids and what-not.  Good for him, I'm sure he's a good dad.  Hopefully he gets a job somewhere else.  Just not here.

On 1/22/2017 at 3:53 AM, esmort said:

He got paid handsomely "to come up short" and was an instrumental part of wasting a good portion of Luck's career... would not hurt my feelings if the arrogant * never worked at the pro level (or any level honestly) again ... good riddance, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Exactly. He's rich most of us are not so good riddance. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:54 AM, DougDew said:

Too bad the two worse decisions in your career were made last spring.  Drafting TJ Green in the second round and signing Dwayne Allen; without recognizing Doyle could play.

Trent trade, signing waste; Andre Johnson, Trent Cole, the amount of D players who did not make team or were cut, o-line shuffle, Dorsett bust draft when Collins was there (NY Giants are happy), Allen waste resigning.

On 1/22/2017 at 8:54 AM, DougDew said:

Too bad the two worse decisions in your career were made last spring.  Drafting TJ Green in the second round and signing Dwayne Allen; without recognizing Doyle could play.

It's pretty well documented that he was throwing a bone to Chuck when he drafted Green, & I doubt he doesn't recognize Doyle can play. After all, he's the one who brought him in after the Titans cut him as an UDFA. 

I can appreciate the OP's comments and concerns toward Ryan, and not wanting to kick someone when they're down and all.

However,  hearing comments from players, former players, etc... makes it a little hard to be too sympathetic,  for me anyway.

Good luck to him in his future, not wishing him to fail or anything, but I am good with him no longer being a part of our organization.   

2 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

think getting Executive of the Year in his first year as a GM went to his head unfortunately.

To piggy-back on that even further, I always thought Grigson was a victim of his own early success as well. Being a first-time GM, it would have been ideal if the team didn't win a lot of games in his first couple of years, so he would've had some consecutive years of top 10 picks. Instead they went 11-5 3 years in a row, and we have a green GM drafting in the high 20s, where he was clearly reaching and overthinking those picks, and/or trading them away.

I'm very happy the Colts are moving in a new direction, but hopefully Grigson learned a lot in his tenure with Indianapolis, and has success in whatever position he holds in the future. He's going to have to take a long look in the mirror and change his approach in regards to how he treats players and colleagues though, as those stories that came forward after he was let go were pretty damning.

22 hours ago, ticat said:

Speaking of the CFL, after Grigson is fired the Toronto Argos fired their GM. In the CFL ,firing a GM at this time of yr does not happen. Rumors has it Grigson is coming to Toronto. Or his brother Dru.

And I think that's exactly where he belongs. I think after awhile it became clear that was his ceiling. He could identify a lot of guys who would be great in the CFL but weren't NFL starter quality. And that's where a lot of his former draft picks are. CFL, IFL, or AFL. His obsession with project players, small school guys, and diamonds in the rough is testament to that.

You guys keep that loser mentality. What would Bill Belichick do? Off the team the minute the plan lands! I dont celebrate 2nd place or runner ups, or AFC South titles for that matter. 

Do you think the greats like Nick Saban, Urban Myer, Bill Belichick, etc care about sending so and so off with a thank you? especially if the player/front office mate didn't perform

No one wants tough love, But that baby stuff is why we have a soft organization, Ran by soft coaches. I think jim Irsey is seeing that now. Tony Dungy's dont come around too often, But even when we had Tony, The Iron fists were in place to make sure that everyone was accountable (Peyton Manning, and Bill Polian). jbh

We are now the Cleveland Browns? smh thanks everyone for coming out lol (Ok ill stop with the sarcasm) But once again, I live in Miami and the Damn Miami Dolphins had a better record than the Colts! Are you hearing me?!?!? The Miami Dolphins had a better record than the Colts! (let that sit in for a while)....

10 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

You guys keep that loser mentality. What would Bill Belichick do? Off the team the minute the plan lands! I dont celebrate 2nd place or runner ups, or AFC South titles for that matter. 

Do you think the greats like Nick Saban, Urban Myer, Bill Belichick, etc care about sending so and so off with a thank you? especially if the player/front office mate didn't perform

No one wants tough love, But that baby stuff is why we have a soft organization, Ran by soft coaches. I think jim Irsey is seeing that now. Tony Dungy's dont come around too often, But even when we had Tony, The Iron fists were in place to make sure that everyone was accountable (Peyton Manning, and Bill Polian). jbh

We are now the Cleveland Browns? smh thanks everyone for coming out lol (Ok ill stop with the sarcasm) But once again, I live in Miami and the Damn Miami Dolphins had a better record than the Colts! Are you hearing me?!?!? The Miami Dolphins had a better record than the Colts! (let that sit in for a while)....

Yeah, that doesn't sit too well with me.  Damn fish.