Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Not to start a rumor but does Peyton come back in play?

or has he been in play all along?  If Jim was talking b4 like was reported, now there is an actual vacancy.

And further, some were saying grigs was the cause of gruden saying no.  Now it isnt the case.  You add in the odd silence of jim and wouldnt it be crazy if gruden AND peyton are announced?

while i dont think this is the case, it looks more likely than b4.

btw, was it announced officiially Pags is staying?  Indidnt hear that, so maybe he's next.

i'm not gonna lose sleep over any of this.  Its actually more exciting than stressful to me. I'm gonna trust in jim.  How wrong are the ones saying how jim had his nose up grigs butt.  Jim does his due diligence. I feel.

Irsay said during the presser that Peyton won't be the GM. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irsay mentioned analytics and unknown names.  Also said young guys are not off the table.  Said he has a list but that new ones could be added.  Who fits that description?   Raye doesn't.  Sounds like a (dude that won World Series for Cubs and Red Sox) kind of guy.

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Perhaps Manning could return, but not as the GM.

Most likely VP or some other organizational title.

The rumors all say that is the type of role that was discussed, not a GM role.  In the press conference, Irsay states Manning not in the picture for a GM position.  Another role could be a possibility.  Whatever the case, i think it is weird to wait this long to fire Grigson. It's been 3 weeks since the season ended, the decision on Grigson shouldn't have taken this long to figure out. When Polian was fired, it happened right after the season ended and he was a HOF GM.  I still think either Manning is in the picture somewhere or something else happened internally recently that forced Irsay to make a choice.

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

We're not firing chuck, so I don't see how we're messing with their plans. 

Well........Irsay is not firing Chuck.  But I think it's possible that a new GM could do so.  Then again, if Raye gets the job he may have a heart for Chuck.  So I think it will depend on who gets the permanent GM gig.  Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to find out.

2 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Well........Irsay is not firing Chuck.  But I think it's possible that a new GM could do so.  Then again, if Raye gets the job he may have a heart for Chuck.  So I think it will depend on who gets the permanent GM gig.  Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to find out.

He said "chuck will be the coach of 2017". I really don't see him being fired but who knows. And yeah let's hope.

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He said "chuck will be the coach of 2017". I really don't see him being fired but who knows. And yeah let's hope.

Yeah I think he has to say that now.  But I also think if he had the GM he wanted, and all that stood between him taking the job or not was firing Chuck and replacing him with his own HC hire, then I think Irsay would step out of the way.  Irsay gets ragged for a lot of stuff but I think, having working the position himself, he knows the organization is built from the top down.  It's tough to judge a GM's performance if he has a HC he doesn't support.

1 minute ago, azcolt said:

So says an article on NFL.com. I wonder if he is tying himself to Raye for the next four years. Anyone thrilled by today's developments is going be feeling pretty foolish when this ends.

To go from Gruden and Manning to Pagano and Raye is just ugly sounding, not to say the Gruden/Manning was even real but we have to assume Irsay lied to us at the press conference to protect Gruden/Manning.

I think people here are making WAY too much of hiring a new GM and having Pagano be the coach in 2017.

The new GM knows in that scenario,  he, the GM, gets a whole year that can't be blamed on him.    His finger prints will barely be on the team this year.   

Detroit hired a new GM a year ago and he kept Jim Caldwell on....    he said he'd give Caldwell a year to show what he could do....    and just when the GM looked like he might make a change a few weeks ago,   he surprised most people and kept Caldwell.      He liked what he saw from JC in the 2016 season.

So,  this happens more than people here know.

If the new GM doesn't like Pagano,  he'll fire him around the end of the year....   and then he'll hire his own guy.

7 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Yeah it's disappointing so far, but it's a positive step, and there is still a long time between now and the draft.  Lots of things can still happen.  Keep the faith my fellow Colts brethren!

I've got the faith.

i do get beat around occasionally for sprinkling happy dust around.  But i don't mind.  My mommy says i'm cool. haha

If we make it to the AFCCG with Raye as GM, would anyone care? If they feel that is the best move for the franchise, so be it. Outside the Pats that have made 6 conference championship games starting with 2011, despite the AFC South and possibly a bit of the AFC being weak, show me another team in the last 6 years that has made half as many championship games in the AFC. That is right, the next closest one is Broncos and Ravens with 2, Steelers with 2 if you include 2010. So, while we all would love to emulate the Pats in terms of sustained success, we know our roster is far from that and needs a couple of good years to get there. 

Hence, I feel that if we make the playoffs and get a resounding playoff win at least, we will be on the right track, whoever the next GM coach combo is. I agree that making the playoffs will not suffice but getting a playoff win should show us the progress we need. Even the Giants, with the $200 mil. spent on D, went 1-and-done, so a playoff win is still nothing to be scoffed at, IMO.

5 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

To go from Gruden and Manning to Pagano and Raye is just ugly sounding, not to say the Gruden/Manning was even real but we have to assume Irsay lied to us at the press conference to protect Gruden/Manning.

We should all realize by now that what Chuck is best at is protecting Chuck's rear end -- and the guy is a master at that skill. The guy begged for Irsay to tie him to Grigson for four years to avoid being fired, then solved "the real problem" by firing most of his assistants a few weeks later. Now a year later he is openly lobbying for Raye as GM, which seems like a great strategy to again save his own hide. We can only assume he will again be firing a bunch of assistant coaches to join the one he already fired yesterday. Beware of the guy with a big smile.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Raye may be the guy.    He may be awesome.   Who knows?

One thing I will say about Raye is San Diego had some very talented teams personnel wise in his time there.. Even if he wasn't the trigger man, I'm sure he played a part..

2 minutes ago, azcolt said:

We should all realize by now that what Chuck is best at is protecting Chuck's rear end -- and the guy is a master at that skill. The guy begged for Irsay to tie him to Grigson for four years to avoid being fired, then solved "the real problem" by firing most of his assistants a few weeks later. Now a year later he is openly lobbying for Raye as GM, which seems like a great strategy to again save his own hide. We can only assume he will again be firing a bunch of assistant coaches to join the one he already fired yesterday. Beware of the guy with a big smile.

I was thinking the same thing...Wolf in sheep's clothing..

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Raye may be the guy.    He may be awesome.   Who knows?

Raye might be awesome but not as a package deal with Chuck. If he has no say in the head coach, he will be a yes man and a disaster as GM. If he has a say in the head coach and he wants to be tied to Chuck, he won't be a yes man, just a foolish one.

11 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Yea, maybe there's more to Chuck than we know.  When a coach can talk himself back into his job, something is broken at the top.  I think the only way Grigson got away with all of his arrogant behavior is because he had a guy to step on for 4 years , perhaps some of that changed in year 5 but Chuck is a softie and had a target on his back.  I think Grigson could prosper in an environment where the coach is like a Bill O-Brien.  If he tried to pull that crap on BOB he would have gotten his butt stomped (verbally if nothing else).

3 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Those of you who automatically assume Jimmy Raye is gonna be Grigs 2.0 are really stubborn and are letting are your feelings of the past regime cloud your judgement

This. Raye might end up really good, not sure why anyone would compare him to Grigson. 

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

This. Raye might end up really good, not sure why anyone would compare him to Grigson. 

Because he's part of the previous regime. And plus people want a big name. I guess after the Peyton talks, this was to be expected. But realistically, there is nothing wrong with promoting in house.

38 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Where did you get the word "begged" from?      I'll tell you where....   thin air....     that's your view supported by no facts.     Congrats.

And,  he didn't fire MOST of his assistants....    he fired a number of them.     And replaced them with guys like Philbin and Schottenheimer and you're complaining.

It would really help if you could put your HATE aside before you post.    It would really help if you could THINK before you post.

Otherwise,  all you have is opinionated nonsense....

Congratulations.....

7 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Because he's part of the previous regime. And plus people want a big name. I guess after the Peyton talks, this was to be expected. But realistically, there is nothing wrong with promoting in house.

Yeah but just because he was part of the regime doesn't mean he would be Grigson 2.0

He could be 100xs better than Grigson, he could also be the next Matt Millen. Its hard to say either way. 

39 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Pagano's endorement on J Raye for GM doesn't hold water, he can't even coach a team, too many bad decisions.  Practice on your coaching first Pagano, before anointing others for positions you know nothing of.

we have never had a losing season under coach Chuck.

Until we do....and until the players stop playing hard for him...I'm with him