Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I'll do it!! Or we could petition for the Forum to be in charge! lol

Seriously though by the way Irsay was talking I think that Jimmy Raye will be our GM

You know how awesome it would be if it was our, the forum members, responsibility to pick the players in the draft?

Too bad that isn't happening. Lol

3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Nonsense. 

Nonsense. 

It's nonsense because you disagree. Great, I disagree with you, doesn't make your opinion nonsense. I presented it as an opinion, not a fact. I have no reason to believe this team with the current coach will be better next year.

Just now, corgi said:

It's nonsense because you disagree. Great, I disagree with you, doesn't make your opinion nonsense. I presented it as an opinion, not a fact. I have no reason to believe this team with the current coach will be better next year.

It's kind of nonsense anyway isn't it? To write off next year already? Offseason hasn't even started.. are we Cleveland?

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Because the offseason hasn't even started , and you already wrote off our season. Come on bruh. 

Not to mention that the new GM could be great at drafting talent and could draft some instant starters that could push is over the edge. 

I want Pagano fired, but there aren't really any other candidates and im ecstatic that Grigson got fired. 

3 minutes ago, corgi said:

But you have reason to believe that the next GM could possibly have an excellent draft, which would significantly upgrade the team. 

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

How is it nonsense?

We still have a bad HC.

So would a good HC have won despite Grigson only having 3 of his defensive draft picks from '12-'15 left on the roster?

I'm not a Pagano supporter, per se, but he's not a bad coach.  He's around the average mark, IMHO.

8 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Because the offseason hasn't even started , and you already wrote off our season. Come on bruh. 

Man, we still have pagano, the weakest link.

And our new GM will probably be Raye. He was griggs right hand man and helped with scouting, drafting and udfa process.

Are we suppose to get excited about that?

21 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

So would a good HC have won despite Grigson only having 3 of his defensive draft picks from '12-'15 left on the roster?

I'm not a Pagano supporter, per se, but he's not a bad coach.  He's around the average mark, IMHO.

Average is right. Another 8 and 8 in 17.

I think Jimmy Raye is the favorite. He is respected around the league and is reported to be liked by coaching staffs. I think he is the safest choice Irsay can make and I expect him to go the safe route in this scenario.

I'm sure others will get consideration. Guys like Brian Gutekunst, Trent Kirchner, and Terry McDonough. Louis Riddick might also be a candidate.

6 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Average is right. Another 8 and 8 in 17.

Average head coaches can win big in this league.

Look at what Gary Kubiak did in Houston (he was the Colts' doormat).  Then look at what Kubiak did in Denver (once he had a QB and a roster full of defensive playmakers). 

If the new GM acquires a healthy number of defensive playmakers (by playmakers, I mean guys that can single-handedly wreck/change the momentum of a game), then the Colts are capable of a nice bounce-back season next year, even with Pagano at the helm.

Of course, Luck's rehab must go well, and he needs to be kept clean next year, too.

Just now, LJpalmbeacher said:

Well it looks like irsay blamed the gm for the hc's job.

They both s**ked AND both needed to go. Getting rid of one of them is better than nothing IF his replacement is better.

No it looks like he got fired because he's terrible at drafting and FA.(his job)

I would have liked to see Pagano gone and McDaniels brought in, but I'm happy enough with Grigson getting fired. 

I like Louis Riddick. He always sounds very knowledgeable on ESPN.  Has Kyle Shanahan accepted the 49ers job?  I want him as HC.  What he's done with Matt Ryan and the Falcons, there's no doubt in my mind, Luck would be perennially in the MVP convo and our offense top 3 every year with him in charge. 

1 minute ago, Horseshoe said:

I know this might not be a popular opinion, but I hope Irsay considers Scott Pioli.  His work in KC was under appreciated, and he is making a difference in Atlanta.  It's interesting how GMs never get second chances like Coaches. 

Pioli would be the guy I would want..KC, Atlanta, and New England all have talent and he had his hand in all of it...

9 minutes ago, Horseshoe said:

I know this might not be a popular opinion, but I hope Irsay considers Scott Pioli.  His work in KC was under appreciated, and he is making a difference in Atlanta.  It's interesting how GMs never get second chances like Coaches. 

I was going to bring Pioli up, but wasn't exactly sure who he did and didn't draft in KC.  I think most of the better players on the roster were brought in by the GM that came before and after him

39 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Man, we still have pagano, the weakest link.

And our new GM will probably be Raye. He was griggs right hand man and helped with scouting, drafting and udfa process.

Are we suppose to get excited about that?

The weakest link was Grigson.  Could not build a roster.  I don't think Pagano is a terrible coach.  If he were, Colts would not have had the winning seasons his first three years.

12 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I was going to bring Pioli up, but wasn't exactly sure who he did and didn't draft in KC.  I think most of the better players on the roster were brought in by the GM that came before and after him

His first round picks were Eric Berry, Dontari Poe, and Justin Houston...His big mistake was trading for Cassell...I'd take him in a heartbeat...Cassell move was out of desperation, and was a mistake, other than that he is legit..

When Polian left we interviewed the person who was currently in Rayes position.   I can't remember his name but we hired Grigson and he eventually left to become GM of SD. Just because he said he was going to interview him doesn't mean he is going to hire him.  I like Riddick a lot and now that Pioli has been mentioned he would be a great choice too.  I hope Jim is through with trying out newbies and I hope he hires an experienced GM.  

33 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

No it looks like he got fired because he's terrible at drafting and FA.(his job)

I would have liked to see Pagano gone and McDaniels brought in, but I'm happy enough with Grigson getting fired. 

I am very happy that Grigson got fired. But I also do believe that Pagano needs to be gone as well. He's not the worst coach but slow starts, lack of execution and not playing all four quarters are problems in almost every game. That is on the HC and not the GM

32 minutes ago, gacker65 said:

Wasn't Raye the GM for the Chargers before.  The one who fired a winning coach and almost drove the Chargers down, in his last years.

AJ Smith is who you are thinking of.

Raye worked for the Chargers as a Scout, Director of College Scouting, and Director of Player Personnel. He hasn't been a GM.

Edit: Here is the ESPN article about that firing. Technically it was Spanos who fired Marty.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer was fired
Monday night in a shocking move by team president Dean Spanos, who cited a "dysfunctional situation" between the coach and general
manager A.J. Smith.

7 minutes ago, ar7 said:

AJ Smith is who you are thinking of.

Raye worked for the Chargers as a Scout, Director of College Scouting, and Director of Player Personnel. He hasn't been a GM.

from Colts.com:

...During Raye’s tenure with the Chargers, the team compiled six winning seasons and five AFC West Division titles. San Diego posted four straight division crowns from 2006-09, which included a 14-2 campaign in 2006, marking the most wins for the team in a single season in franchise history. That season the Chargers also led the league in Pro Bowl selections with 11. Raye played an instrumental role in the draft selections of LaDainian Tomlinson (2001), the Chargers all-time leading rusher (12,490 yards) as well as quarterback Drew Brees (2001), cornerback Quentin Jammer (2002), wide receiver Vincent Jackson (2005) and running back Darren Sproles (2005). He was also part of a staff that signed undrafted free agent Antonio Gates, the team’s all-time leading receiver (10,644 yards) in 2003. From Raye’s first season as San Diego’s director of college scouting in 2000 to his departure in 2012, the Chargers led the NFL in the total number of college free agents who earned a spot on the 53-man roster.