Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck recovering from surgery

HungarianColtsFan

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe that to be highly incorrect.    

That's not been my experience in covering sports for 30 years and following it for 50 years.

I disagree. Irsay threw the outpatient part of the surgery to make it seem like it wasn't a big deal. I've had multiple joint and soft tissue surgeries on my back, feet, and ankles. All of them were lengthy surgeries to repair severe damage. I was kept overnight only once and the only reason they kept me was for pain management. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, esmort said:

The fan base is angry because they want Grigson and/or Pagano gone and Irsay goes silent.  When he does start talking it is to tell us the franchise QB needs surgery and the reason is very likely because Grigson and Pagano failed to protect him. Talk about throwing gas on a fire. 

Qbs with great olines never get hurt..  ever

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

My buddy had rotator cuff surgery and went home the same day.   Pretty much all arthroscopic surgeries are

Pretty much all arthroscopic surgery's are....   what?     Outpatient?     I said just that in my first post in this thread.

I'm only noting that arthroscopic surgery is good news for the Colts but full blown surgery where they take a scalpel to you and give you a 6-12 inch incision so they have room to put their hands inside you is bad news.

Just now, esmort said:

Obviously I didn't say that.  If you can't see how the 2 could be connected or at least how many fans will connect it you are delusional. 

Football players get hurt.    Lots of players have off-season surgery.  Having a good o line reduced risk,   but the risk is there no matter how good the oline is.    Do we even know if this injury happened in or around the pocket?  Did he get hurt running down field?

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Pretty much all arthroscopic surgery's are....   what?     Outpatient?     I said just that in my first post in this thread.

I'm only noting that arthroscopic surgery is good news for the Colts but full blown surgery where they take a scalpel to you and give you a 6-12 inch incision so they have room to put their hands inside you is bad news.

What shoulder injury would require such an invasive surgery?   Severe dislocation?  Fractured bones?  I think we all knew it wasn't that extreme

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What shoulder injury would require such an invasive surgery?   Severe dislocation?  Fractured bones?  I think we all knew it wasn't that extreme

I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about?

We both agree that arthroscopic surgery is better than full blown surgery.    We both agree it does not appear that Luck's injury was that severe....

So,  what's the problem here? 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about?

We both agree that arthroscopic surgery is better than full blown surgery.    We both agree it does not appear that Luck's injury was that severe....

So,  what's the problem here? 

There is no full blown shoulder surgery that I'm aware of that would have allowed him to finish the season.  That's all.    

20 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I disagree. Irsay threw the outpatient part of the surgery to make it seem like it wasn't a big deal. I've had multiple joint and soft tissue surgeries on my back, feet, and ankles. All of them were lengthy surgeries to repair severe damage. I was kept overnight only once and the only reason they kept me was for pain management. 

I want to be clear.....

I am NOT saying that there aren't lots of arthroscopic surgeries that aren't serious.     There clearly are.

But I am saying that if you're a professional athlete,  it's always good news that the surgery you needed is arthroscopic and not full blown surgery where they cut you open.    That's worse.

The longer recovery time from full blown surgery alone makes it the less desirable surgery.    Or put another way,  the faster recovery time from arthroscopic makes it more desirable.

Hope this explains my view better.....

1 hour ago, indy1888 said:

3 months before he can start throwing, 6 months for full recovery.  Will Carroll indicated this kind of timeline suggests a more in depth procedure then he initially thought. Also means he will miss a good part of the offseason programs.  

"6 months for full recovery" means, with no setbacks, he might be ready by training camp.  It probably also means he'll be limited in camp and will play sparingly in preseason, if at all.  

2017 is off to a great start.

48 minutes ago, snkdy said:

With Luck missing a lot of the off-season program, it's increasingly less likely that we'll make any changes, especially on offense. 

If you brought in, say Gruden, he couldn't even work with Luck until camp.  That's if everything goes well, and even then it might be limited.

6 minutes ago, #12. said:

If you brought in, say Gruden, he couldn't even work with Luck until camp.  That's if everything goes well, and even then it might be limited.

Exactly. Reports say he can't even start throwing until mid-July. There's no time to instill a new offense. Continuity is what matters now given this injury.

4 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I don't think this is nearly as severe as Peytons neck was.

This is how Peyton's neck issue was handled.  It was never a big deal when he had those offseason minor neck surgeries. We fans never knew how bad it was until he had to miss a season. 

Im skeptical because the Colts always seem to lowball us on recovery times. 

3 hours ago, MTC said:

You would think Irsay would make changes after Luck gets injured every year. Nope.

2 hours ago, #12. said:

People are questioning why he played the final game.  A better question:  why are the GM, coach and scheme that have gotten him beaten to death for 5 years still in place?

Yeah I agree. I just don't understand how Jim doesn't see that Andrew is getting the snot knocked out of him year in and year out. Week in and week out too

52 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

This is how Peyton's neck issue was handled.  It was never a big deal when he had those offseason minor neck surgeries. We fans never knew how bad it was until he had to miss a season. 

True and I remember the 2-6 week timeline that was actually the rest of the season with luck for the kidney.

26 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Throwing shoulder surgery in nothing to take lightly. Could be as simple as bursa sack repair up to full ligament  distension

yipes, the more technical you get, the worse it sounds.  I was worried when he had his first shoulder problem way back that these things recur and that shoulder's are just a bad thing to have injured.  could be totally unrelated to the first one but having spoken to people with shoulder issues, they talk of long recovery times, lots of therapy, etc.

This news of surgery is actually maybe a real good thing, for perhaps it means that Luck's lack of accuracy development might be as a result of the lingering shoulder issue.  So in otherwords, perhaps we can look forward to a more accurate Luck moving forward.

Now we just have to solidify that OL so that this sort of ailment does not become chronic and undo Luck's career, like what happened to Bert Jones. :)

3 hours ago, deedub75 said:

Why do people ignore facts to just pounce on management?

Peyton never told the Colts how severe his injury was.  That's why Polian had to scramble to sign Kerry Collins with a week left in the off season. 

2 hours ago, rockywoj said:

This news of surgery is actually maybe a real good thing, for perhaps it means that Luck's lack of accuracy development might be as a result of the lingering shoulder issue.  So in otherwords, perhaps we can look forward to a more accurate Luck moving forward.

Now we just have to solidify that OL so that this sort of ailment does not become chronic and undo Luck's career, like what happened to Bert Jones. :)

Yes.  He probably tried to work through whatever injury happened the season before.  I noticed he was on the injury report the last few weeks of this season, thinking he probably aggravated the basic injury that lingered from the past season.

He's going to be shot in a few years. 

Shoulder surgery for someone who uses there shoulder hundreds of times a year isn't a small deal in my eyes.

Gonna be sad in a few years when we look back at how this regime ruined a good QB, they don't come around often. 

39 minutes ago, IinD said:

He's going to be shot in a few years. 

Shoulder surgery for someone who uses there shoulder hundreds of times a year isn't a small deal in my eyes.

Gonna be sad in a few years when we look back at how this regime ruined a good QB, they don't come around often. 

Brees had much more done to his shoulder and he's fine. He could be the anomaly though. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Why do people ignore facts to just pounce on management?

Peyton never told the Colts how severe his injury was.  That's why Polian had to scramble to sign Kerry Collins with a week left in the off season. 

Believe that if you want to. There's no way they did not know he had a bulging disc and I'm sure the team doctors told them that it could completely rupture at any time. He had multiple off-season minor procedures to fix it. Polian was scrambling because he never believed in spending on a competent back up. 

11 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

I was unaware that he underwent surgery. Per Irsay he is recovering from right shoulder surgery.

Andrew recovering from successful outpatient surgery to fix right shoulder injury that had lingered since 2015. Will be ready for season!

My first thought was I haven't been away from the Forum & Colt topics that long have I? You scared me for a second bro as in, oh no, what the hades happened to Chewbacca now? 

Whew! I'm relieved to know Luck is healing nicely. Thank God. 

8 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Well that sucks!! Means he won't be able to do anything to improve in the offseason and will be behind the 8ball next year..6 months means he could miss training camp too...We didn't need this..

It does make you wonder why Luck wasn't encouraged to do this surgery as soon as our season was literally over. As in, get me on the table as soon as possible. 

Surgeons schedules do fill up fast I imagine all yr round & perhaps there was some debate over how necessary going under the knife was. The classic back & forth over rehabilitation vs cut a dude open etc. etc. 

I still would have liked the procedure to be carried out swiftly & without hesitation once it was determined that only a medical expert can solve the problem at hand. 

I know from experience myself not as an athlete, but as a person put on the table more than once that with each procedure you do lose some mobility & range of motion...And, you have to find a way to overcompensate through therapy what you lost. It's only natural that elite QBs like Luck are a little worried, apprehensive, & gun shy to go under the knife & lose range of motion in some small capacity. It's a scary proposition. Worrying how your body will react once the pass rush is literally in your face again. I get it: The hidden fear of can I perform better or will I be worse because of this surgical decision?