Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The "Real" Behind the Scenes Story of Irsay/Manning/Gruden

Steamboat_Shaun

"It seems that Jim Irsay sees Ryan Grigson as the son he never had. He always desperately wanted a son."

This just in....Grigson is fuming! He walked into Irsay's office and said "how can you offer Peyton Manning partial ownership but not your own son?"

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, coltsva said:

"It seems that Jim Irsay sees Ryan Grigson as the son he never had. He always desperately wanted a son."

This just in....Grigson is fuming! He walked into Irsay's office and said "how can you offer Peyton Manning partial ownership but not your own son?"

Yeah, this whole thing is pretty funny when you step back and actually THINK about what's being said.

I don't think there's one chance in a million that any one that close to Jim Irsay would share any confidential information. So, I think the source is NOT REAL

I don't believe that Jim see's Grigson as the son he never had. However, this gives me some insight into the motives of whoever wrote this.  They intend to dismiss and demean..........while they hide in the safety of anonymity

I have no idea what 'PR' spin they are talking about the colts trying to spin.  There hasn't been anything out of them on this at all.......ever

so, is it an uber double secret PR plan that only pixies know how to implement?

People know that colts fans are desperate for an answer and they know that making people super angry is the best way to get attention

This looks like nothing to me other than some small minded, mean spirited person who craves attention.

Here are two decisions that would be the RIGHT decisions.

1. Don't give any head coach the GM or personnel management duties also.

2.  Don't give away your daughter's wealth.

So if anybody thinks Irsay was wrong not to hire Gruden, and wrong not to hire Manning, well, if I were Jim Irsay, I wouldn't do it under those circumstances.

It's probably better for me if the real story never comes out. If I found out that Irsay stayed loyal to Grigson and it cost us Gruden/Manning, I very well might be done with this franchise. I didn't follow the Pacers for years and years after the brawl era.

5 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I don't think there's one chance in a million that any one that close to Jim Irsay would share any confidential information. So, I think the source is NOT REAL

I don't believe that Jim see's Grigson as the son he never had. However, this gives me some insight into the motives of whoever wrote this.  They intend to dismiss and demean..........while they hide in the safety of anonymity

I have no idea what 'PR' spin they are talking about the colts trying to spin.  There hasn't been anything out of them on this at all.......ever

so, is it an uber double secret PR plan that only pixies know how to implement?

People know that colts fans are desperate for an answer and they know that making people super angry is the best way to get attention

This looks like nothing to me other than some small minded, mean spirited person who craves attention.

Definitely a possibility. It is important to note that the rumors only portrayed certain individuals in a purely negative light. Namely Grigson, and to some extent, Irsay.

That implies to me that something is totally off and probably in a meanspirited way.

4 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

Definitely a possibility. It is important to note that the rumors only portrayed certain individuals in a purely negative light. Namely Grigson, and to some extent, Irsay.

That implies to me that something is totally off and probably in a meanspirited way.

Absolutely targeting Jim Irsay 

it's fiction 

50 minutes ago, egg said:

"Most with any sense" who read my post can see that my point is about his demeanor, not his statement. He wasn't "beside himself" after the Houston loss......like I said, I don't care if he was "beside himself" after the Oakland loss...... I just don't believe it.

Were you around Irsay after the Houston loss?  How do you know how mad he was or wasn't? The Colts were getting embarrassed in Oakland before they injured Carr, it's not unreasonable to think the owner was more then a little ticked off.  Schefter reported the next week that Irsay was very unhappy.  You don't have to believe it.  And my remarks about the statement he made was directed at all the people here that swore up and down  that Irsay was never going to try to make changes this year based on that statement when he clearly was leaving himself an out to do just that.

27 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Can someone tune in and let me know what's going on?

JMV said this guy is not just making this stuff up. He also said he knows the guy who told him this information  and JMV would definitely "not shoot it down".  He also made it a point that he himself has not been told all of this.

Irsay's comment of being "unhappy" is something you'd expect any owner to say after the team goes 8-8.

What's he supposed to say, that he was "happy"...after everybody on every NFL team always always publicly declares at the beginning of the season that the goal is to win the Championship.

7 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Were you around Irsay after the Houston loss? 

No. Were you there? No. Was the Guy who wrote the article there? No. 

I don't know if "Irsay was beside himself" or not. And neither do you. And neither does the guy who wrote the article. ....... this is my point. You believe it. I don't.

Do you also believe this guy (who wasn't there), that he knows " that Jim Irsay sees Ryan Grigson as the son he never had."...."He has always desperately wanted a son...."....My goodness, it's so absurd for this guy to claim this as inside information. .....If you want to believe that this guy actually has evidence of this, go ahead and believe it.....I don't believe he has any evidence of this.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Irsay's comment of being "unhappy" is something you'd expect any owner to say after the team goes 8-8.

What's he supposed to say, that he was "happy"...after everybody on every NFL team always always publicly declares at the beginning of the season that the goal is to win the Championship.

Irsay didn't make the comment, sources told Schefter he was very unahppy and that coaches feared changes were coming. And i'm not the one who is implying that Irsay really wasn't mad that the team was losing games.

40 minutes ago, presto123 said:

It's probably better for me if the real story never comes out. If I found out that Irsay stayed loyal to Grigson and it cost us Gruden/Manning, I very well might be done with this franchise. I didn't follow the Pacers for years and years after the brawl era.

Your loss. We could be Cleveland. San Francisco. San Diego. Rams. I don't know you but based on you just saying that. Don't sound like a true fan. More of a band wagoner. Stay with a team when things are going good, ditch em when they are going bad. 

20 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

Irsay didn't make the comment, sources told Schefter he was very unahppy and that coaches feared changes were coming. And i'm not the one who is implying that Irsay really wasn't mad that the team was losing games.

Changing the subject.

The authors explanation of how Manning would get an ownership stake is not believable.  It makes no sense.

The only way PM should get ownership stake is to either buy in now, at a negotiated price, or receive equity based upon his success...in which the buy in would have to come at a later date.

14 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Your loss. We could be Cleveland. San Francisco. San Diego. Rams. I don't know you but based on you just saying that. Don't sound like a true fan. More of a band wagoner. Stay with a team when things are going good, ditch em when they are going bad. 

I am as much of a "true fan" as you are. It is my prerogative if I choose to boycott a franchise based on decisions of a clueless owner. IMO, they are wasting Luck's career. I have better things to do than go out of my way than support this franchise if Irsay is letting personal friendships get in the way  of really building a winning team.

A number of thoughts to share.

First,  this is NOT Journalism.     This is blogging and there's a big difference.    A blogger can say whatever they want.    They don't have a boss to say....   "rewrite this section,  it's not clear."    Or,  "you can't say that,  that's your opinion and not based in any fact."       A blogger is answerable to no one but themselves.

They can use some Journalistic standards and protect their sources -- that's fine -- but it does not make them a Journalist.

Second,   I suspect there's a fair amount of truth in this,  but how much and which parts, I have no idea.

Third,   the is written with a high biased level.     Like not only does the writer have an axe to grind,  but that the source may have an axe to grind too.    Why else is the source talking?

Fourth,  no one seems to know how much of a percent Peyton is asking for?    5 percent?   10 percent?   20?

And that make a difference,  because the difference is not just tens of millions of dollars,  it's potentially HUNDREDS of millions of dollars.     NOW we're talking serious money.      And it's not the author's money,  it's Irsays.      And I don't think it's right that someone should be so casual and so personal about Irsay potentially being unwilling to just give Peyton hundreds of millions of dollars of ownership of the Colts at a large discounted price.     I don't care if he is Peyton Manning.     Hundreds of Millions is a big, BIG number.

Fifth,    there's more to this story.     Much more.    The blogger's source may have much of the story,  but he doesn't have all of it.      There are lots of details that are missing and there's nothing from the Irsay family to respond.     This is what happens when you're a blogger and not a journalist.

I'm sure there's more I can write,  but I have to run now....    perhaps more later....    but wanted to offer this up as food for thought......

1 minute ago, presto123 said:

I am as much of a "true fan" as you are. It is my prerogative if I choose to boycott a franchise based on decisions of a clueless owner. IMO, they are wasting Luck's career. I have better things to do than go out of my way than support this franchise if Irsay is letting personal friendships get in the way  of really building a winning team.

You are projecting what you think is the truth to what is actual truth.    

26 minutes ago, egg said:

No. Were you there? No. Was the Guy who wrote the article there? No. 

I don't know if "Irsay was beside himself" or not. And neither do you. And neither does the guy who wrote the article. ....... this is my point. You believe it. I don't.

Do you also believe this guy (who wasn't there), that he knows " that Jim Irsay sees Ryan Grigson as the son he never had."...."He has always desperately wanted a son...."....My goodness, it's so absurd for this guy to claim this as inside information. .....If you want to believe that this guy actually has evidence of this, go ahead and believe it.....I don't believe he has any evidence of this.

This is "news" in 2017.  (and 2016)

Smatter some facts into an article to fool the reader in to thinking the author's opinion is more valid than your mailman's.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This is "news" in 2017.  (and 2016)

Smatter some facts into an article to fool the reader in to thinking the author's opinion is more valid than your mailman's.

Ironically, I was a mailman for 26 years (not kidding)..........

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

A number of thoughts to share.

First,  this is NOT Journalism.     This is blogging and there's a big difference.    A blogger can say whatever they want.    They don't have a boss to say....   "rewrite this section,  it's not clear."    Or,  "you can't say that,  that's your opinion and not based in any fact."       A blogger is answerable to no one but themselves.

They can use some Journalistic standards and protect their sources -- that's fine -- but it does not make them a Journalist.

Second,   I suspect there's a fair amount of truth in this,  but how much and which parts, I have no idea.

Third,   the is written with a high biased level.     Like not only does the writer have an axe to grind,  but that the source may have an axe to grind too.    Why else is the source talking?

Fourth,  no one seems to know how much of a percent Peyton is asking for?    5 percent?   10 percent?   20?

And that make a difference,  because the difference is not just tens of millions of dollars,  it's potentially HUNDREDS of millions of dollars.     NOW we're talking serious money.      And it's not the author's money,  it's Irsays.      And I don't think it's right that someone should be so casual and so personal about Irsay potentially being unwilling to just give Peyton hundreds of millions of dollars of ownership of the Colts at a large discounted price.     I don't care if he is Peyton Manning.     Hundreds of Millions is a big, BIG number.

Fifth,    there's more to this story.     Much more.    The blogger's source may have much of the story,  but he doesn't have all of it.      There are lots of details that are missing and there's nothing from the Irsay family to respond.     This is what happens when you're a blogger and not a journalist.

I'm sure there's more I can write,  but I have to run now....    perhaps more later....    but wanted to offer this up as food for thought......

Thanks my man! :thmup:

giphy.gif

26 minutes ago, presto123 said:

I understand you are not happy. I'm unhappy with the way the last two seasons have gone. I don't like Pagano. But we haven't had a season under .500 but once in the last 16 years. I don't watch every pacers game, but I watch probably 50 out of 82 games and the playoffs. I don't stop watching or going to games when my team loses. A true fan sticks by their team because they have a passion for that team and a bad owner isn't going to stop them from rooting for them. 

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Anyone remember the good old days when reporters had to use real sources for stories?

When a story starts with - You won't know my sources and they won't be named...

Almost as bad as Brad Well saying "I've been told..."  By who?

"And if you do happen to get it right and ask the correct person, they'll deny everything anyway.  So what I say is straight up dope, but you'll never, ever get it corroborated by anybody.  You heard it here first. And yo heard it here only. "    :76evil:

Sounds like someone took the rumors and put them all together and tied it with a neat bow to make Irsay look woerse than his Dad, and get everyone to to do something else next football season.

If Irsay sticks with the duo next year, I  will support them as well. I'll wait to see what transpires next year.  Then the real Jim Irsay will be revealed, one way or the other.

23 minutes ago, Coltsagent said:

Who wrote this column Ray Donovan? Who ever heard of a GM getting an equity share?

I don't know if it's unprecedented, but it's certainly not common. Even Elway -- everyone's ideal for this proposed Manning scenario -- doesn't have a share of the Broncos. When he joined their front office, he had an offer to be a minority owner and an offer to be an executive -- one or the other, not both. 

3 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Fake news?

What's "real news" then? NFL Network, Adam Schefter, ESPN, and everyone else was reporting just over a week ago that Irsay assured Pagano that his job was safe. Then a few short days later Irsay was in Houston interviewing Gruden/Manning, so clearly, Pagano wasn't "safe." Those guys are supposed to be the creme de la creme when it comes to journalistic reliability, and they got totally scooped by an Indy radio host and a couple Twitter users.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I just don't buy that Grigson was supposedly in the way of a deal. If Irsay really wanted Peyton and Gruden, and Grigson was the one in the way, why wouldn't he fire them? He fired Bill Polian, one of the greatest GMs ever, I don't see why he wouldn't fire Grigson.

Not only that, but the article stated Peyton would have the power to fire Grigson.  How would Irsay's loyalty to Grigson allow him to give Peyton the power to fire Grigson?

What's going on with the Colts is so weird that it's not hard to imagine that some of this stuff is true. I'm not saying I believe it, but at this point we all know some type of plan was made by Irsay. What he did, or who he talked too remains a mystery. It's been like 3 weeks since the season ended and we haven't heard from our Owner, GM, or HC (besides his awkward press conference).

I think that's what's going on here. People know that Irsay has done/or tried to do something but no one knows what. And know people are trying to fill in the missing pieces.