Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The "Real" Behind the Scenes Story of Irsay/Manning/Gruden

Steamboat_Shaun

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

Not knocking the article - haven't read it, yet - but who are these guys?  Never heard of them or seen a link to anything from them before.

The article was by Jim Osborne, he, along with Wells and JMV, were the 3 that were all over this story before the nationals ran with it.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Irsay could've VERY easily made the deal w/ Manning & Gruden happen, but his ego & undying love for Ryan Grigson got in the way.

Wish I could open it to read. Are they actually sourcing anything? I still just have a hard time believing Irsay gets in a room with two guys he wants and lets Grigson and his ego get in the way there. He hasn't had a problem cutting ties before, yet Grigson is the hold-up? Just seems bizarre to me. Maybe it's true.

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Really petty of Irsay honestly. Like, do you want your football franchise to win, or do you want it to suck?

Irsay seems like he really wants to win though.. that's why this just doesn't make sense to me. He is a smart football guy.. I dont know why he would turn down Gruden to retain grigs..

And I don't know if I even believe Gruden wanted to be HC and GM here either. 

This is infuriating...

"I can’t pretend to know why exactly Ryan Grigson has ingratiated himself so dearly to the Irsay daughters and Jim. My source has attempted to get that very answer, and in the end, it seems to be insanely simple. It seems that Jim Irsay sees Ryan Grigson as the son he never had. He always desperately wanted a son that played football that he could pass along the family business to, however had three daughters.
That is an insane reason to cloud your business judgment to the point that you ignore horrible job performance. Again, the franchise is a cluster under the Irsays.
I’m going to shoot you straight. Well, not that I’ve been sparing details anyway. Here is the ultimate truth: Peyton Manning isn’t coming. You really want to know why? Jim Irsay’s ego can’t tolerate bringing Manning in as a partner. Jim is Mr. Horseshoe, and not Peyton Manning, Bill Polian or Unitas himself is going to change that."

2 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

Wish I could open it to read. Are they actually sourcing anything? I still just have a hard time believing Irsay gets in a room with two guys he wants and lets Grigson and his ego get in the way there. He hasn't had a problem cutting ties before, yet Grigson is the hold-up? Just seems bizarre to me. Maybe it's true.

No divulged sources..the writer addresses that at the very beginning. 

To summarize, he says that the deal Peyton wanted was fair and commensurate with what others in his position would want, but Irsay tried to strong arm him into paying much more than would be considered fair.  If the deal with Peyton had gone through, Peyton would have been able to, and would have fired Grigson.

He also says the same thing that was reported days earlier, that the Gruden deal fell through because he (Gruden) essentially refused to work with Grigson.  Gruden didn't necessarily want full control himself but rather wanted mutually acceptable new GM but Irsay refused. And Irsay wouldn't give Gruden roster control anyway because he (Irsay) doesn't trust Gruden's personnel decisions.

2 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

I just don't get the obsession Jimmy has for Ryan?  unless Ryan is dating his daughter,

there were rumors on twitter last year of an affair between Grigs and one of the Irsay girls.  but there was never any proof of it other than talk.

Just now, Smonroe said:

Anyone remember the good old days when reporters had to use real sources for stories?

When a story starts with - You won't know my sources and they won't be named...

Almost as bad as Brad Well saying "I've been told..."  By who?

Their source clearly has a nice cushy job within the organization, and would stand to lose that job if their name was made public. 

Just now, Smonroe said:

Anyone remember the good old days when reporters had to use real sources for stories?

This all could very well be true, but yes, I'm always skeptical of a guy with an internet connection who has unnamed sources.  I understand not naming sources, but this writer doesn't even claim the source works for the Colts, just that this source approached him to share information.

I disagree with his characterization that bringing in Peyton Manning and giving equity ownership with option warrants is a fair structure.  It depends on what Manning's role within the organization would be.  If it was going to be a part of the FO, then no, it's not a fair deal.  It might be for a corporation that is publicly traded, but not a privately owned company such as the Colts.  That's particularly true when you will be overseen by the owner of the company.  It really depends on the role Manning would have.  

To make an example, if I'm the sole owner of my private organization and I decide I need a finance guy or talent acquisition guy to run that department and want to hire him, I'll give him certain incentives.  Could be a signing bonus, could be partial ownership, there's lots of things on the table.  If this were a small local business, partial ownership would be a fair ask.  The owner of course can decline, but that's certainly on the negotiating table.  However, in the instance where this is an already established multi-million dollar company (multi-billion?  I'm not sure of the Colts valuation, but if it were multi-billion, that further supports Irsay's position), partial ownership will not often be a part of the deal because the large privately owned company is already established and its success or failure, while dependent on everyone within the organization is not vital to its survival because it's already established.  In other words, new hirees, even executive leadership, are replaceable at that point.  It will ebb and flow depending on the success of those currently leading the organization, but you don't need to convey partial ownership in this case, particularly where the guy your bringing in has an option to increase ownership.  I'm not saying this can't be done or isn't advisable, but giving equity in something already established is not "the norm."

9 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

This is infuriating...

"I can’t pretend to know why exactly Ryan Grigson has ingratiated himself so dearly to the Irsay daughters and Jim. My source has attempted to get that very answer, and in the end, it seems to be insanely simple. It seems that Jim Irsay sees Ryan Grigson as the son he never had. He always desperately wanted a son that played football that he could pass along the family business to, however had three daughters.
That is an insane reason to cloud your business judgment to the point that you ignore horrible job performance. Again, the franchise is a cluster under the Irsays.
I’m going to shoot you straight. Well, not that I’ve been sparing details anyway. Here is the ultimate truth: Peyton Manning isn’t coming. You really want to know why? Jim Irsay’s ego can’t tolerate bringing Manning in as a partner. Jim is Mr. Horseshoe, and not Peyton Manning, Bill Polian or Unitas himself is going to change that."

Nothing more than speculation. 

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

The guy is an aspiring blogger, not a reporter.  No journalistic standards.

I do believe that the Colts had a shot to land Manning and Gruden. It sucks to not get either. Despite questions/concerns about them it would have at the very least been exciting and made me much more optimistic about this team. Regardless of why it sucks to not get either of them.

I don't know what version to believe. JMV is saying Peyton felt he wasn't ready. Part of me questions that and feels that is a cover for some other reason. I can see that being floated out there to cover up the real reason.

On the other hand, I have a hard time believing that they couldn't come to an agreement on the terms of the equity purchase with Peyton. (yes I realize that's complicated stuff) If money was the driving force behind this then why not just keep their ownership stake and say it's not up for discussion? I would have an easier time believing that they didn't want to give up any equity in the franchise than I do that they were trying to nickel and dime Peyton on terms. I shouldn't say that though because greed has no end.

I have always sensed that Irsay really likes Grigson but yet he was willing to let Peyton get rid of him. Irsay isn't looking to bring in Peyton and Gruden because he is confident in Grigson and Pagano. While you can argue that it's ok to stick with what you have vs taking a chance on a new GM or high profile coordinator I do believe that Irsay recognizes Grigson's flaws and is willing to move on.

Irsay better hope that the local (or worse yet national) media doesn't start to run with this angle. The story is that Peyton felt he wasn't ready and Irsay made the effort to improve the team. Irsay better hope that angle stays. If someone established reports this angle.....that will not be good.

20 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

Sure, but considering that had Manning agreed to financial terms, Grigson would be on the street.  So much for the "son he never had."

I think the troubling thing is that it seems like the only way Grigson ever gets fired is if Manning finally joins the show.  He wouldn't even fire Grigson in order to land a coach like Gruden and an agreed upon GM, supposedly. If this is his line of thinking, i am a little unsure on why Irsay thinks he will ever land a "homerun" hire at HC.   Not going to happen with Grigson there.

"Real".

Oh yeah, I bet.

A random dude with a blog is telling you the "real" story that happened behind closed doors. A meeting he couldn't have gotten into as a janitor.

Let that sink in.

Chances are it didn't, which is curious because to believe such sources indicates that your brain is in fact probably a sponge, but this is where we're at.

A lot of you lost your last couple marbles of reason under the couch of life the day after the season when pagano wasn't fired.

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Judging from what I just read Irsay is an even bigger * than I thought this is terrible.

well what you just read was a bunch of unsubstantiated hearsay....but judge based on whatever evidence you want I suppose.

:applause:

6 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

"Real".

Oh yeah, I bet.

A random dude with a blog who's first published articles are from this year is telling you the "real" story that happened behind closed doors. A meeting he couldn't have gotten into as a janitor.

Let that sink in.

Fixed the first paragraph for you - insertion underlined.