Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor central -- Pagano and Grigson reports, 1/16 (merge)

gnet550

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Why can't people just accept that Pagano and Grigson are going to be here next season?

I don't believe these reports at all.  Why would he wait this long to pull the trigger?

The same reason people can't accept that they may be fired I guess. Everyone is just spewing opinions, that's kind of the purpose of a forum.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

He gets a bad rap here because of the cliches and coachspeak, but all indications are that he's a great motivator, that his players respond well to him, and that he interviewed great in 2012. Grigson and everyone else always speaks highly of him:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--best-story-of-2012-nfl-season--try-chuck-pagano--bruce-arians-and-the-incredible-colts-223145304.html

except for the fact that the players don't consistently respond well to whatever he's doing....  slow starts, inconsistent play, miscues....

2 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

except for the fact that the players don't consistently respond well to whatever he's doing....  slow starts, inconsistent play, miscues....

There's a difference between being a good motivator/leader and being a good gameplanner. 

53 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

it's exactly the same amount of time he waited to can Caldwell...... doesn't mean any of these rumors are true, just means Irsay would have thought the delay worth getting "his guy(s)"

Wasn't the delay in canning Caldwell a situation where he wanted to let the new GM decide to keep him or let him go?

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Wasn't the delay in canning Caldwell a situation where he wanted to let the new GM decide to keep him or let him go?

yeah, but it's still Jan. 17th in either situation...... not to mention, they had to search for a HC after Caldwell got let go, this sounds like someone may be in place, or only a few possibilities, rather than a full blown, time consuming search and vetting process.....

Just now, MacDee1975 said:

Pagano may be a good man, but he certainly is not a good coach.  Should've been fired 1 second after that debacle against Houston at home.

I lost faith after the fake punt against NE. Didn't want him to return but after finding out him and Grigson patched up their differences on black Monday, and benefit of the doubt bc Luck was injured all year, I was fine. Now I just want him gone but realistically the only person I think is possible (assuming college coaches are out of the question) will be busy for the Pats for the next few weeks.

29 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

He'd be a fool...financially speaking. I think they will work out some kind of buyout before anything happens.

Finaclly yes but he would be a different kind of fool to stay when he knows the owner is looking to replace him.  With that said I doubt he does quit but if he did I wouldn't blame him that's all.  

8 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not really...when Grigson was first hired, their intention was to keep Caldwell.  Grigson and Caldwell went together to interview Spagnuolo for the vacant DC position.  It was (apparently) Spags' response that led Grigson and Irsay to wind up firing Caldwell.

Which, if all recent rumors are to be believed, the current situation is kind of similar, with Irsay going after Gruden only to find out Gruden won't work with Grigson.  Maybe that has forced Irsay to rethink keeping Grigson after all.  No way to say for sure and again, this is only if all of the recent twitter rumors have any truth to them.

2 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

not sure what this means but Josh McDaniels bowed out of the 49ers position.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9281/josh-mcdaniels

It means that was a .......itty job and he was smart not to take it.  To have a press conference with Pagano in it and then fire him a week later seems very unprofessional.  With every move he makes Irsay seems to be showing a pattern of inability or at the least indecisiveness for running this team.  How is he rich again?  Is he self made rich or is he Trump (got it from his daddy) rich?

1 minute ago, coltsleafs said:

Am I the only one that thinks getting a new coach is a bad idea? Luck had to learn what three different offenses in his 5 years? Do you really think a 4th one is a great idea lol

great idea?  no...... what's best for his career?  most likely.  Dude's a Stanford Architecture grad, I'm more worried about the rest of the team learning a new offense.

6 minutes ago, coltsleafs said:

Am I the only one that thinks getting a new coach is a bad idea? Luck had to learn what three different offenses in his 5 years? Do you really think a 4th one is a great idea lol

Personally, I wouldn't mind bringing in an offensive guy to be HC in the hopes that he could teach Luck the last offense he'll have to learn.

If this offense kept its avg's up I doubt Chud would've been here for that long anyway. He's not that old and it could be said didn't get a very fair chance at HC. There's a chance uck would've probably had to learn a new playbook in a couple years anyways.

great idea?  no...... what's best for his career?  most likely.  Dude's a Stanford Architecture grad, I'm more worried about the rest of the team learning a new offense.

He will learn it yes but it takes time to master a offense. Do you ever wonder why Peyton was so great and consistent. He was in the same system so that allowed him to focus on very minute details of the game that Luck will never get to do if he's continuously learning a new offense every year.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Personally, I think we should bring in an offensive guy to be HC in the hopes that he could teach Luck the last offense he'll have to learn.

If this offense kept its avg's up I doubt Chud would've been here for that long anyway. He's a relatively young guy who it could be said didn't get a very fair chance at HC. Luck would've probably had to learn a new playbook in a few years anyways.

I'm probably in the minority on this one but I really hope they don't bring in Mcdaniels if I have to watch dink dunk 3 yard passes all year just shoot me now lol 

11 minutes ago, coltsleafs said:

Yes, You are and Chuck is a defensive coach. He has nothing to do with the offensive play calling.

Wells has been the main one citing all these rumors. And yet he has statements all over his twitter saying hes heard absolutely zilch about Pagano being fired. To quote him he says recently things like "Sources are not telling me their will be a change". Also he says "I'd be surprised if anything changes at Colts complex." I also expect Irsay to bunker down and hide for a while" He also goes on to say "Everything I've heard involves Irsay sticking with Grigano. Gruden Manning was the only option Irsay pursued. Their were no other candidates". This is all over Wells twitter.

3 minutes ago, coltsleafs said:

I'm probably in the minority on this one but I really hope they don't bring in Mcdaniels if I have to watch dink dunk 3 yard passes all year just shoot me now lol 

Luck is better than Brady on long throws. McDaniels isn't a dink and dunk play caller, he's a versatile play caller who tries to emphasize the strengths of his personnel. Look at the difference in their play calling from 2007 to now. 

Just now, MPStack said:

Yes, You are and Chuck is a defensive coach. He has nothing to do with the offensive play calling.

Yes but typically when you hire a new coach they want to bring in "their guys" at offensive and defensive coordinators. Not all the time.. But still. 

This line not good enough for you?  

360-550 2 picks  8.1 yd per attempt

Honestly would rather watch our offense then the way the Pats offense is run it so boring have you watched them recently? Least with Gronk they had big play ability now their a snooze fest.

2 minutes ago, coltsleafs said:

Honestly would rather watch our offense then the way the Pats offense is run it so boring have you watched them recently? Least with Gronk they had big play ability now their a snooze fest.

I will take their 400 or so yards more over 16 games, and their 2 ppg more than Indy, yes.

2 minutes ago, coltsleafs said:

Have YOU watched them recently? 4th in yards and 3rd in PPG for the regular season. We were 10th and 8th respectively.

Don't mistake efficiency for lack of big play ability.