Gavin

Handicap accessible van

22 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone knew where or how I could get a handicap accessible van. I'm 34 years old. I live in apartments for elderly and disabled. I have spina bifida. I take the bus but it stops running at 6 so my places I an go after 6:00pm are a bit limited after that time. I'd sure like to drive sometime before I die of course. I am not currently employed. I'm from Anderson Indiana

1 person likes this

Used to have a place in kokomo called adams they had some most of the time. It's a dealership and Im pretty sure it's still here.

Just looked online it's still open and yes they have them just Google adams auto group kokomo 

Could this provide a starting point:

http://www.nmeda.com

There is information there on how to find the right vehicle, financing, rebates, available funding, etc. If you're looking for something in particular feel free to send me a message.

I have a friend who has spina bifida and has no feeling below her waist. She has been able to drive with hand controls for well over 25 years. There is no reason you cannot do the same. 

This place has 4 locations in Indiana, and offers new/used inventory, as well as rental. I'm sure they can steer you in the right direction as far as assistance, etc.

http://www.superiorvan.com/wheelchair-vans-for-sale/pre-owned

I absolutely HATE that most of the dealers take advantage of those with disabilities, they shouldn't be charging so much more for the specialty vehicles, if anything, they should be cheaper!!!!! That goes for wheel chairs and any other items that people need to function!!!! sorry for the rant, good luck with your search!

1 person likes this

I have spina bifida. I am fortunate to have feeling however everywhere. I just turned 34

It is surreal & tragic to stumble upon this thread knowing about his funeral & visitation observances now. 

My deepest condolences to his friends, family, & loved ones. 

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

It is surreal & tragic to stumble upon this thread knowing about his funeral & visitation observances now. 

My deepest condolences to his friends, family, & loved ones. 

This has bothered me the whole night.

On January 20, 2017 at 7:03 AM, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

I absolutely HATE that most of the dealers take advantage of those with disabilities, they shouldn't be charging so much more for the specialty vehicles, if anything, they should be cheaper!!!!! That goes for wheel chairs and any other items that people need to function!!!! sorry for the rant, good luck with your search!

Yes, I agree m colts m. It is disturbing & alarming that this community must pay more money for additional accommodations to get around, but that's reality I'm afraid. In any event, it was nice to see the outpouring of respect & admiration so many forum members had for Gavin though. 

I sincerely hope that before his passing he had some good memories. 

Never apologize for speaking up against an injustice ever m colts m & thank you & NFLfan for being so helpful with suggestions, resourceful tips, & just making Gavin feel like he belonged & was welcome here. Trust me, the feeling of isolationism is very real among the disabled community when you are denied employment & if your cash resources are limited; their will be no cars available to assert one's own independence & the likelihood of having a girlfriend or love interest is virtually non existent in most cases. 

One of the best books I ever read in my life was called The Sexual Politics Of Disability by a UK sociologist named Tom Shakespeare. It encapsulated so much frustration that so many disabled members felt their entire lives. Not every chapter in this book is relevant of course, but about 85% is. This book was hard to read because it was so accurate about misconceptions society has about us as a block of citizens to be quarantined & dismissed from activities & rites of passage like marriage for instance, but this book changed my life because it finally articulated the trials & tribulations we feel on a whole new level level that most people with no disability can't even imagine or even want to. Knowledge is power though since it confirms that we are not insane & this societal alienation is very real. 

I am saying all this to honor Gavin even though at 1st glance it might not seem like it initially. I know of what I speak. 

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This has bothered me the whole night.

You're a good guy CBE. Thank you. 

Look, like I said before, I didn't know Gavin personally & I apologize if I made anyone feel uncomfortable with my entry listed above. I realize that this thread was only discussing the need for an affordable van with hand controls & I have no desire to make his family feel uneasy or at odds with anything I say. 

I just like to scratch below the surface & talk about what independence really means to Gavin & the disabled community at large. Nothing more; nothing less. Okay, I'll zip it now. 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Yes, I agree m colts m. It is disturbing & alarming that this community must pay more money for additional accommodations to get around, but that's reality I'm afraid. In any event, it was nice to see the outpouring of respect & admiration so many forum members had for Gavin though. 

Never apologize for speaking up against an injustice ever m colts m & thank you & NFLfan for being so helpful with suggestions, resourceful tips, & just making Gavin feel like he belonged & was welcome here. Trust me, the feeling of isolationism is very real among the disabled community when you are denied employment & if your cash resources are limited; their will be no cars available to assert one's own independence & the likelihood of having a girlfriend or love interest is virtually non existent in most cases. 

One of the best books I ever read in my life was called The Sexual Politics Of Disability by a UK sociologist named Tom Shakespeare. It encapsulated so much frustration that so many disabled members felt their entire lives. Not every chapter in this book is relevant of course, but about 85% is. This book was hard to read because it was so accurate about misconceptions society has about us as a block of citizens to be quarantined & dismissed from activities & rites of passage like marriage for instance, but this book changed my life because it finally articulated the trials & tribulations we feel on a whole new level level that most people with no disability can't even imagine or even want to. Knowledge is power though since it confirms that we are not insane & this societal alienation is very real. 

I am saying all this to honor Gavin even though at 1st glance it might not seem like it initially. I know of what I speak. 

I read this thread a couple of weeks ago and it was then that I began to be concerned. I wanted to help Gavin get this vehicle so that he would feel less reliant on others or the town's transportation system. I thought to reach out to you so that you could share your experiences with Gavin but I did not want to impose or make you uncomfortable. Next time, I won't be so hesitant. 

The NFL Network has a show that gives out refurbished cars to fans. I had thought of asking them how to go about recommending people for that, as I thought that Gavin would have appreciated it.  It may sound unrealistic but one of my sisters had one of her rooms remodeled by one of those HGTV shows after she sent a letter requesting that. So, I thought that could be a possibility for Gavin.

Oh well. RIP Brandon.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I read this thread a couple of weeks ago and it was then that I began to be concerned. I wanted to help Gavin get this vehicle so that he would feel less reliant on others or the town's transportation system. I thought to reach out to you so that you could share your experiences with Gavin but I did not want to impose or make you uncomfortable. Next time, I won't be so hesitant. 

The NFL Network has a show that gives out refurbished cars to fans. I had thought of asking them how to go about recommending people for that, as I thought that Gavin would have appreciated it.  It may sound unrealistic but one of my sisters had one of her rooms remodeled by one of those HGTV shows after she sent a letter requesting that. So, I thought that could be a possibility for Gavin.

Oh well. RIP Brandon.

NFL, I can't thank you enough for staying in touch with him and being such a caring person to one of our fellow Colts Forum friends.  Thank you!

2 people like this

1 minute ago, radiogirl said:

NFL, I can't thank you enough for staying in touch with him and being such a caring person to one of our fellow Colts Forum friends.  Thank you!

Thank you, but I was not really in touch with him. I wish I had been. The only way I was in touch was on these threads. I sent him a PM offering to help but it had already been too late. I barely knew him but the people on here are like family. I and some others here sensed that he may need a hand or an ear and we reached out. When he did not respond, we became concerned.

While this is sad, it may bring comfort to his family knowing he was so appreciated and loved here.

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you, but I was not really in touch with him. I wish I had been. The only way I was in touch was on these threads. I sent him a PM offering to help but it had already been too late. I barely knew him but the people on here are like family. I and some others here sensed that he may need a hand or an ear and we reached out. When he did not respond, we became concerned.

While this is sad, it may bring comfort to his family knowing he was so appreciated and loved here.

The fact that you reached out on here says what a great person you are!  I wish I would have known.  He's not far away from us.  It just makes me so sad that there are people hurting this much.  I just want you to know I appreciate you reaching out to him.  

3 people like this

I did not realize until this weekend that Gavin and PrincetonTiger had so much in common

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Southwest, I have always enjoyed reading your posts on here, and have also become familiar with your struggle by reading what you have posted in the past. 

Brother do not apologize for anything you posted, in fact, it would be great if more people could be so open about thier struggle, and maybe be able to get help or pointed in the right direction, or if anything sometimes it just helps to have someone to listen/talk to. I encourage anyone on here to just reach out to someone either by posting here, the life happens thread, or PM one of us if they just need to talk to someone or need help finding assistance. I can't promise I will reply right away due to work or that I will be of great assistance, but am willing to give it a shot!

From one Metalhead to another,

:rock::rock:KEEP ROCKING BROTHER!!!!:rock:

2 people like this

I just attempted, without success, to go into my old movie thread & find the post where Gavin mentioned how much he enjoyed the 1984 film "Karate Kid" & regarded that piece of cinema as one of his favorites. 

I only mention it because 1. I really respected Gavin, 2. He was well versed in breaking down players strengths & weaknesses much better then I will ever be, & 3. I saw something back in the beginning of March that would have made Gavin smile. 

Literally on March 1st, ABC's 'The Goldbergs' TV show comically paid homage to Karate Kid. It was pretty funny. If you never saw the episode in question, here's the basic plot: A nerdy kid with glasses named Adam [Sean Giambrone] has the exact same first & last name as a local high school bully in his community. The only thing that distinguishes these 2 is the middle initial F. Well, the geeky kid loves Karate Kid so much he writes a glowing review of the film that is well received by his peers in school. The only problem is this: They think the bully wrote the review instead of him. The bully eventually threatens to beat the misfit up. With no other recourse, Adam asks his uncle to train him in the art & mastery of karate. This uncle spoofs the role of Japanese mentor Mr. Miyagi by having Adam wax on/wax off his furniture & appliances inside his apartment like a personal maid or something similar.

The guy playing Mr. Miyagi in this episode starred in the film "Balls Of Furry" with Christopher Walken where he trained diligently to become a ping pong/table tennis championship & a wax on wax off parody is done here as well. 

The cheesy, yet funny Goldbergs tribute to Danielson & Mr. Miyagi ended with the nerd & bully becoming best friends over Adam's well written critique of the original 1984 film & the 2 of them pretend to do a double crane move on each other. Plus, there's a hilarious scene where the teacher rubs his hands together fast & we think he's about to fix Danielson's leg [I mean Adam's] leg & instead the uncle says "What? No, I was just thinking how to get you out of this jam that's all." LOL! 

The other thing that made me smirk was the use of the "Glory Of Love" song from the original soundtrack as well. Here's the number just in case you forgot it BTW...

In addition, I also laughed when the bully said to the nerd: "I was inspired to see the movie after reading your review Adam. You're a pretty good writer. Not movies, but you'd be a pretty decent sitcom screenwriter I think." haha 

I miss ya Gavin. You were a cool dude. I think you would have enjoyed this ABC tribute. 

4 people like this

Karate Kid was a classic. Great movie, the 2nd one was ok as well but the 1st one was the best. Gavin loved this time of year, talking about the Football Draft and Basketball coming down the stretch for Playoff seeding's. Pacers are in a dog fight to try and maintain the 6th Seed and stay out that dreaded 8th which whoever gets that would play the Cavs. Baseball getting ready to start too and he was a Cubs fan.

3 people like this

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Karate Kid was a classic. Great movie, the 2nd one was ok as well but the 1st one was the best. Gavin loved this time of year, talking about the Football Draft and Basketball coming down the stretch for Playoff seeding's. Pacers are in a dog fight to try and maintain the 6th Seed and stay out that dreaded 8th which whoever gets that would play the Cavs. Baseball getting ready to start too and he was a Cubs fan.

Great points CBE! Yeah, that first Mr. Miyagi picture was the best. You're absolutely right. "Beginners Luck" when Danielson catches that fly with chopsticks is such a well known & replicated scene by those who grew up on this flick. 

Uh huh. Gavin was definitely devoted to his Colts, Cubs, & Pacers. Well said my man. This place won't be the same without him. I agree 1000%

3 people like this

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Great points CBE! Yeah, that first Mr. Miyagi picture was the best. You're absolutely right. "Beginners Luck" when Danielson catches that fly with chopsticks is such a well known & replicated scene by those who grew up on this flick. 

Uh huh. Gavin was definitely devoted to his Colts, Cubs, & Pacers. Well said my man. This place won't be the same without him. I agree 1000%

Yeah he loved the Draft and Pacer Playoff Basketball. He started Posting more on the Baseball Thread once the Cubs got to the WS, he was scared he would jinx the Cubs if he posted too much about them haha. I don't blame him as they hadn't won in 108 years.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I just attempted, without success, to go into my old movie thread & find the post where Gavin mentioned how much he enjoyed the 1984 film "Karate Kid" & regarded that piece of cinema as one of his favorites. 

I only mention it because 1. I really respected Gavin, 2. He was well versed in breaking down players strengths & weaknesses much better then I will ever be, & 3. I saw something back in the beginning of March that would have made Gavin smile. 

Literally on March 1st, ABC's 'The Goldbergs' TV show comically paid homage to Karate Kid. It was pretty funny. If you never saw the episode in question, here's the basic plot: A nerdy kid with glasses named Adam [Sean Giambrone] has the exact same first & last name as a local high school bully in his community. The only thing that distinguishes these 2 is the middle initial F. Well, the geeky kid loves Karate Kid so much he writes a glowing review of the film that is well received by his peers in school. The only problem is this: They think the bully wrote the review instead of him. The bully eventually threatens to beat the misfit up. With no other recourse, Adam asks his uncle to train him in the art & mastery of karate. This uncle spoofs the role of Japanese mentor Mr. Miyagi by having Adam wax on/wax off his furniture & appliances inside his apartment like a personal maid or something similar.

The guy playing Mr. Miyagi in this episode starred in the film "Balls Of Furry" with Christopher Walken where he trained diligently to become a ping pong/table tennis championship & a wax on wax off parody is done here as well. 

The cheesy, yet funny Goldbergs tribute to Danielson & Mr. Miyagi ended with the nerd & bully becoming best friends over Adam's well written critique of the original 1984 film & the 2 of them pretend to do a double crane move on each other. Plus, there's a hilarious scene where the teacher rubs his hands together fast & we think he's about to fix Danielson's leg [I mean Adam's] leg & instead the uncle says "What? No, I was just thinking how to get you out of this jam that's all." LOL! 

The other thing that made me smirk was the use of the "Glory Of Love" song from the original soundtrack as well. Here's the number just in case you forgot it BTW...

In addition, I also laughed when the bully said to the nerd: "I was inspired to see the movie after reading your review Adam. You're a pretty good writer. Not movies, but you'd be a pretty decent sitcom screenwriter I think." haha 

I miss ya Gavin. You were a cool dude. I think you would have enjoyed this ABC tribute. 

Wow Karate Kid, DEFINITELY A CLASSIC!!!!!!!! One of my favorites for sure! I remember spending a lot of time in my youth trying to perfect that "Crane kick," lol. That Goldbergs spoof is great too, I need to watch that show more! 

Miss you Gavin! I hope you're proud of how active the draft threads have been:rock:

2 people like this

1 minute ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

Wow Karate Kid, DEFINITELY A CLASSIC!!!!!!!! One of my favorites for sure! I remember spending a lot of time in my youth trying to perfect that "Crane kick," lol. That Goldbergs spoof is great too, I need to watch that show more! 

Miss you Gavin! I hope you're proud of how active the draft threads have been:rock:

:) The Karate Kid is one of my favorites too. Back in those days, I watched movies many times. I must have watched that at least 7 times. One of my best friends and I were big Ralph Macchio fans. I loved the movie The Outsiders too. I miss those days. 

Brandon Marshall, WR of the Broncos/Bears/Jets recently signed with my hometown Giants. Gavin always comes to mind when I see/hear Marshall because he and Gavin share the same name. 

Rest in peace, Brandon (Gavin).

2 people like this