Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Baltimore Colt Legends vs Indianapolis Colts Legends

Caleb3502

For each position, which legend would you rather have, the one from the Baltimore Colts or the one from the Indianapolis Colts?

Quarterback: Johnny Unitas or Peyton Manning

Runningback: Lenny Moore or Edgerrin James 

Wide Reciever: Raymond Berry or Marvin Harrison 

Tight End: John Mackey or Dallas Clark 

Offensive Tackle: Jim Parker or Tarik Glenn 

Offensive Guard: Dick Syzmanski or Chris Hinton 

Center: Ray Donaldson or Jeff Saturday 

Defensive End: Gino Marchetti or Robert Mathis 

Defensive Tackle: Art Donovan or Raheem Brock 

Linebacker: Mike Curtis or Jeff Herrod 

Cornerback: Bobby Boyd or Ray Buchanan 

Safety: Rick Volk or Antonie Bethea 

Kicker: Lou Michaels or Adam Vinatieri 

Punter: David Lee or Pat McAfee  

Coach: Don Shula or Tony Dungy 

QB a wash, Lenny, Marvin, Mackey, Parker, Hinton,  Saturday, Marchetti, Donovan, Curtis, Boyd, Volk, Vinatieri, McAfee, Dungy because he actually won a title with the Colts. The Colts have had a tremendous amount of great players and should have won more titles in both the pre and post SB era than they have .  The Baltimore era was more successful overall still. 

24 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

QB a wash, Lenny, Marvin, Mackey, Parker, Hinton,  Saturday, Marchetti, Donovan, Curtis, Boyd, Volk, Vinatieri, McAfee, Dungy because he actually won a title with the Colts. The Colts have had a tremendous amount of great players and should have won more titles in both the pre and post SB era than they have .  The Baltimore era was more successful overall still. 

I agree except Lenny and Edgerrin  would be close

46 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

For each position, which legend would you rather have, the one from the Baltimore Colts or the one from the Indianapolis Colts?

I'd probably put Ron Stark in there at punter over David Lee or maybe even McAfee, like Donaldson and Hinton he covered both cities.

Also I'd probably go with Bickett at linebacker over Herrod but it doesn't really matter I am taking Curtis over both.

QB:  Manning

RB:  Edge

WR:  Marvin

TE:  Mackey

OT:  Glenn

OG:  Hinton

C:  Saturday

DE:  Mathis

DT:  Donovan

LB:  Curtis

CB:  Big play Ray

S:  Bethea

K:  Adam

P:  Stark

Head Coach:  if we are going off Colts history Dungy if we are going off career history Shula.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I'd probably put Ron Stark in there at punter over David Lee or maybe even McAfee, like Donaldson and Hinton he covered both cities.

Also I'd probably go with Bickett at linebacker over Herrod but it doesn't really matter I am taking Curtis over both.

Head Coach:  if we are going off Colts history Dungy if we are going off career history Shula.

Shula couldn't win the big game with the Colts. That's why him and Rosenbloom fell out and the Colts pretty much didn't do much to match the Dolphins offer. I believe this is correct. I mean they inexplicably forgot how to play and had their worst games of the year in both the 64 title game  and SB3 with clearly superior teams both times. Not to mention they lost to the Rams at home in 67 or so costing themselves another playoff spot when they were the best team in the league that year arguably. 

Quarterback: Johnny Unitas (Baltimore)

Runningback: Edgerrin James  (Indy)

Wide Reciever: Marvin Harrison (Indy)

Tight End: John Mackey  (Baltimore)

Offensive Tackle:  Tarik Glenn (Indy)

Offensive Guard:  Chris Hinton (Indy)

Center: Ray Donaldson  (Baltimore)

Defensive End: Gino Marchetti (Baltimore)

Defensive Tackle: Art Donovan (Baltimore)

Linebacker: Mike Curtis  (Baltimore)

Cornerback:  Ray Buchanan (Indy)

Safety:  Antonie Bethea (Indy)

Kicker:  Adam Vinatieri (Indy)

Punter:  Pat McAfee  (Indy)

Coach: Don Shula (Baltimore)

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Sorry but Jim Parker and Gino Marchetti were both all world for their day. And for years upon years. Tarik Glenn and Robert Mathis had their limited time in the sun but......

32 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Sorry but Jim Parker and Gino Marchetti were both all world for their day. And for years upon years. Tarik Glenn and Robert Mathis had their limited time in the sun but......

Robert Mathis is the franchise alltime leader in sacks that's not limited tine in the Sun that's a great career.  With that said you can't really go wrong with Marchetti or Mathis.  

If you want to go with Parker over Glenn I won't really argue with you.  I've always been a big fan of Glenn and feel he's been under valued when people talk about him  so my beast probably showed through on that pick.

46 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

I would maybe slot Sanders at Safety over Bethea.

I always thought the Colts had the leagues most overrated safety in Sanders playing with the most underrated safety in Bethea at the time.   Not to say Sanders wasn't good when he played, he was, but most of the time the Colts played without him and didn't miss a beat.  Also he was out so often (to the point he almost missed more games than he played in his career) it's hard for me to say he was the franchises best safety when they had a guy like Bethea playing along side him who quietly just went to pro-bowls, got turnovers, and was always near the team lead in tackles.

5 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

I would take Bill Curry over Ray Donaldson at Center . You could also throw Jerry Logan into the mix with Rick Volk. I would also consider Weeb Eubank or Don Shula . 

28 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I would take Bill Curry over Ray Donaldson at Center . You could also throw Jerry Logan into the mix with Rick Volk. I would also consider Weeb Eubank or Don Shula . 

We forgot about Weeb, that's crazy. 3 time champ in 11 years. 

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Robert Mathis is the franchise alltime leader in sacks that's not limited tine in the Sun that's a great career.  With that said you can't really go wrong with Marchetti or Mathis.  

If you want to go with Parker over Glenn I won't really argue with you.  I've always been a big fan of Glenn and feel he's been under valued when people talk about him  so my beast probably showed through on that pick.

Tarik was a great player. I remember how Bruce Smith ate our lunch for years until he got to Indy and that stopped pretty quick. Gino was considered possibly the greatest of all time at his position when he retired. Same with Parker. 

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

There just is no way in the world anyone who saw Jim Parker play would rate Tarik Glenn ahead of him. Those that saw him play have him rated as the 32nd best player ever to play the game in one poll and 24th in another. Was All Pro 8 of his 11 seasons. Named to the All NFL 75th university team. 

Can't compare them.  Different eras.  I LOVE the old Baltimore ones much better,  but competition and rules were totally different. The old guys weren't protected like today's.  They were tougher, but nowhere nearly as athletic as today's.  They also had to have side jobs- the pay was horrific.  So was the nutrition and training.

It's like matching Shaq against Wilt.  Can't do it because the refereeing was different. And you'd have to include the fight after the game, too....

17 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

QB - it's a wash. I'll just take Peyton for the hell of it. I chose Peyton because he played more in the SB era, it doesn't necessarily mean I rank him better.

RB - I actually choose Eric Dickerson. He turned our franchise around in 1987 and was the main reason why we won the Division in 1987. In 1988 he led the league in rushing and dominated. Remember Halloween Monday Night in 1988!

WR - Marvin Harrison

TE - John Mackey

OT - Jim Parker

OG - Chris Hinton

C - Jeff Saturday

DE - Dwight Freeney

DT - Booger McFarland

LB - Gary Brackett

CB - Vontae Davis

Safety - Bob Sanders

KIcker - Adam Vinatieri

Punter - Pat McAfee

Coach - Don Shula

11 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

Tarik was a great player. I remember how Bruce Smith ate our lunch for years until he got to Indy and that stopped pretty quick. Gino was considered possibly the greatest of all time at his position when he retired. Same with Parker. 

Tarik Glenn was an excellent tackle, except he was prone to false starts at the worst times.

11 hours ago, buccolts said:

'69 Jets muddled the picture. 

Still back to back NFL Championships with the Colts. The 69 Super Bowl muddies him with Colts fans, but it elevates him as far as his NFL legacy. Shula' s post season reputation is far worse with two losses with favored Baltimore Colts teams. A 27-0 beating to the Browns in 1964, then the 16-7 embarrassment to the Jets in 69, with perhaps one of the best teams in Colts history. He had some great regular seasons in Baltimore, but he is known far more for his success in Miami. Dungy had one Super Bowl , and would be more similar to Don McCafferty . To me, advantage Eubank. 

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Can't compare any of them.  Different eras - completely different game in so many ways.

This is very true. Those old guys got the you know what kicked out of them back then. The cornerbacks in those days could mug the receivers, as an example. Very hard to compare, but still interesting fodder. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

QB - it's a wash. I'll just take Peyton for the hell of it. I chose Peyton because he played more in the SB era, it doesn't necessarily mean I rank him better.

RB - I actually choose Eric Dickerson. He turned our franchise around in 1987 and was the main reason why we won the Division in 1987. In 1988 he led the league in rushing and dominated. Remember Halloween Monday Night in 1988!

WR - Marvin Harrison

TE - John Mackey

OT - Jim Parker

OG - Chris Hinton

C - Jeff Saturday

DE - Dwight Freeney

DT - Booger McFarland

LB - Gary Brackett

CB - Vontae Davis

Safety - Bob Sanders

KIcker - Adam Vinatieri

Punter - Pat McAfee

Coach - Don Shula

Even if you threw out Mike Curtis at LB or Art Donovan at DT , I would take HOF Ted Hendricks over Gary Brackett, and Big Daddy Lipscomb over Booger McFarland. I think Vinatieri is an all time great with ties to the Colts and Patriots. Saturday was an excellent center ,  probably a bit better than Donaldson and Curry , and I like McAfee's toughness. Would pick him over Lee. Ray Berry or Harrison is a tough one. I would take Berry because I'm biased, but you can more than make an argument for Harrison. I wouldn't take Freeney over Gino, but would rate him over Bubba Smith. 

11 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

This is very true. Those old guys got the you know what kicked out of them back then. The cornerbacks in those days could mug the receivers, as an example. Very hard to compare, but still interesting fodder. 

The only way is to compare the players against the competition they played. You can't compare measurables as no doubt today's athlete is far superior. But IMO It's still legit as everything is relevant to where a particular player ranked against his peers. 

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

The only way is to compare the players against the competition they played. You can't compare measurables as no doubt today's athlete is far superior. But IMO It's still legit as everything is relevant to where a particular player ranked against his peers. 

Then it's the Old Colts by a landslide every time, because they measured up and dominated against Jim Brown's Browns,  Lombardi's Packers, and the Giants that had Pat Summerall, Sam Huff, Frank Gifford, and Rosey Grier.  The modern ones lined up against the AFC South.

3 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Even if you threw out Mike Curtis at LB or Art Donovan at DT , I would take HOF Ted Hendricks over Gary Brackett, and Big Daddy Lipscomb over Booger McFarland. I think Vinatieri is an all time great with ties to the Colts and Patriots. Saturday was an excellent center ,  probably a bit better than Donaldson and Curry , and I like McAfee's toughness. Would pick him over Lee. Ray Berry or Harrison is a tough one. I would take Berry because I'm biased, but you can more than make an argument for Harrison. I wouldn't take Freeney over Gino, but would rate him over Bubba Smith. 

Gino should probably be in over Freeney as he is a HOFamer. I chose Booger just because after we picked him up in 2006 he started to contribute late in the season into the Playoffs stopping the run. I like the fact he was a legit 300 pounder as well. He was only in Indy for 1 season though.

43 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Gino should probably be in over Freeney as he is a HOFamer. I chose Booger just because after we picked him up in 2006 he started to contribute late in the season into the Playoffs stopping the run. I like the fact he was a legit 300 pounder as well. He was only in Indy for 1 season though.

1 hour ago, jimmy g said:

Then it's the Old Colts by a landslide every time, because they measured up and dominated against Jim Brown's Browns,  Lombardi's Packers, and the Giants that had Pat Summerall, Sam Huff, Frank Gifford, and Rosey Grier.  The modern ones lined up against the AFC South.

Parker and Big daddy were similar to Jim Brown.. physical freaks.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Clark was Good but Mackey was Great. Clark was one of my favorite Colts.

Crazy that Clark and Whitten were in the same draft. Clark never had 450 yards receiving past 2009 . Written just had his first year with less than 700 yards (had 673) in receiving. 

Mackey was amazing. I lived in Syracuse and he played for Ben Swartzwalder.. the original 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy. Made Woody Hayes look like Don Coryell.  Mackey played WR and RB and had less than 800 total yards in his college career. I guess the NFL knew he was special despite this as he was the  5th pick in the 2nd round. Back then only 14 teams , so he was 19th over all.

10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Crazy that Clark and Whitten were in the same draft. Clark never had 450 yards receiving past 2009 . Written just had his first year with less than 700 yards (had 673) in receiving. 

Mackey was amazing. I lived in Syracuse and he played for Ben Swartzwalder.. the original 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy. Made Woody Hayes look like Don Coryell.  Mackey played WR and RB and had less than 800 total yards in his college career. I guess the NFL knew he was special despite this as he was the  5th pick in the 2nd round. Back then only 14 teams , so he was 19th over all.

Great stuff! I love history of the game type stuff. I would love to put an all-time Indianapolis Colts team vs a Baltimore Colts team. That would be interesting. You would have Unitas vs Peyton then others.